Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Tunsil!!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Probably because it's always cheaper to do it sooner rather than later, set the market rather than having to top the previous counterpart's contract
His leverage is we just trade two 1sts & a 2nd for him. We want him playing ASAP, it wouldn't have been cheaper.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If Montana/Rice can be traded then Texan for life is a pipe dream.
Again. There was a better way to handle the situation. To tell a man, you're not going to start on this team & go on to win Super Bowls with Steve Young. Is one thing.

But to tell a guy, "I don't know if you can start on this team." & trot out Nate Washington & Cecil Shorts is something different.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Tunsils new deal will make Trent Browns deal look like a bargain. I’d say Tunsil flirts with 100Ms from this team with 60-70 guaranteed over 5-6 years. Dead to rights.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
This trade makes sense to me. The Texans could not function as a high level team with their roster. They made a move for a good young player at a vital position such that they could actually compete. It may not work out, as all trades, but atleast they are trying to compete and round out the roster.

This team has never done that before. So, this is a win for the organization. They are identifying problems and taking steps to fix them. More than we can say for previous FO groups.

Interesting that I’ve been gone for awhile and come back to find myself misaligned with the group here. I actually feel like this organization might be coming around.

Last edited:

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I think it's clear Texans FO WANT to re-sign him, which is why everyone thinks they should have made his agent agree to it before the trade (like the Mack deal)..
There is no guarantee that Tunsil will want to re-sign here after next year, so he has all the leverage to make Trent Brown's contract look like a rookie deal
If the guy can play, what difference does it make?

You acquire talent at a need position that is in good health and necessary, and you hope for the best. That is what they’ve done here.

Are you guys hoping for a LT in the 2022 draft or something? We have a QB now, it’s time to compete. You wait too long and what’s the point?

Mangler

Toro de España
This trade makes sense to me. The Texans could not function as a high level team with their roster. They made a move for a good young player at a vital position such that they could actually compete. It may not work out, as all trades, but atleast they are trying to compete and round out the roster.

This team has never done that before. So, this is a win for the organization. They are identifying problems and taking steps to fix them. More than we can say for previous FO groups.

Interesting that I’ve been gone for awhile and come back to find myself misaligned with the group here. I actually feel like this organization might be coming around.
Couldn’t agree more!

76Texan

Hall of Fame

They haven't fixed the most important position of them all. :ahhaha:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

Small but vocal group. Squeeky wheels seeking grease.

Still mostly Texan fans waiting for a Lombardi. :)

:coffee:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I agree most on here have been saying since we drafted Watson that we need to be in win now mode. Well this is what win now mode looks like, you sacrifice the next few years in order to take a real shot at it this year. If it works you look like a genius and everyone sings your praises, Elway with the 2015 Broncos, and if it doesn’t then you look like an idiot and hopefully are fired. It’s absolutely a Hail Mary move by coaches and GMs.

Honestly I don’t think it’s so much the moves themselves as it was O’Brien that made them. Otherwise they aren’t that different than what other GMs have done. Even as stupid a move as the Clowney deal was it wasn’t any worse than Chicago selling the farm to move up one spot of just about anything Raiders have done this year. Even the great BB had his Ty Law move.

For a very vocal part of this MB I don’t think there is any move BoB could make that they would like except resigning.

Scooter

Funky
We COULD have opted for focusing our efforts on researching and supporting at a coach with a history of raising up offensive line talent and given him two first round picks and a second to work with (just spent our first two on the position) ... OR we could give the current coaches' remarkable talent for getting worse results than their previous teams a young and hardly proven player to "work with" inside a scheme(lol) that has all but fired it's offensive coaching staff*. Since one person is running the show and he's Bill Belichick (or assumes he is), let's go with option 2.

*no matter how many fences you put up, those scapegoats just keep on coming.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
O'Brian is trying to save his job, end of story. If this trade, for whatever reason fails, he will be fired and next guy up approach will apply to a new GM and a new Head Coach.

Nobody ever accused O'Brian of not having any balls, he has now put all his balls on the line.

disaacks3

Staff member
O'Brian is trying to save his job, end of story. If this trade, for whatever reason fails, he will be fired and next guy up approach will apply to a new GM and a new Head Coach.

Nobody ever accused O'Brian of not having any balls, he has now put all his balls on the line.
Not sure his brain can overcome his balls though.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

He showed a lot of courage trading picks in future years when he might not be around

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What haven't we called him ?

I'll give you three guesses.
ummm... "A great football coach"...?

My mind is so much more at ease when I realized/excepted O'Brien isn't and never was an offensive innovator.

He HAS to have good players because he hasn't shown the ability to scheme folks open.

If he can form his dream team that can bully their way to wins.... well, that'll work too.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

My mind is so much more at ease when I realized/excepted O'Brien isn't and never was an offensive innovator.

He HAS to have good players because he hasn't shown the ability to scheme folks open.

If he can form his dream team that can bully their way to wins.... well, that'll work too.
You are close enough … I was gonna say we never called him a "Good" coach ...

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Oline and Tunsil need some work. Is it 6 or 7 sacks and an unknown number of whiffs. Running game is good, but DW4 on pace for 100 sacks this year and not many seem on him for holding the ball. I actually thought pass blocking would be better than run. Will they gel is the question

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Oline and Tunsil need some work. Is it 6 or 7 sacks and an unknown number of whiffs. Running game is good, but DW4 on pace for 100 sacks this year and not many seem on him for holding the ball. I actually thought pass blocking would be better than run. Will they gel is the question

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I still believe the o-line will get better. At the same time we have a much tougher schedule and the same crappy HC.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Even with good players he scores about 20 points per game.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Running game needs a lot of work. Duke & Hyde did very well considering what the line gave them.

Not too sure about expecting better from the OL. That's the same interior from last season. Tunsil whiffed once... Henderson was better than I expected.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hyde looked fairly good
yeah, that was a bright spot. I like his burst to the hole and the toughness not to be taken down at first contact.

He's on a one-year, prove it deal.
Now will our new "GM" let him walk...?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I’m rewatching game after work with a focus on Tunsil but it feels like he had a pretty terrible game. His run blocking is pretty bad. He gets high, loses power in his hips and is playing on the wrong side of the LOS. His pass blocking on the other hand is as advertised. He did give up 2 sacks - same amount he gave up all last year. Jitters? New system? Hopefully. Texans didn’t trade for a guy that was fully developed and that’s what I saw last night. Still a great amount of talent to work with before y’all go freaking out with the negativity interventions. Best lineman we’ve had since Duane just needs to round out.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I’m rewatching game after work with a focus on Tunsil but it feels like he had a pretty terrible game. His run blocking is pretty bad. He gets high, loses power in his hips and is playing on the wrong side of the LOS. His pass blocking on the other hand is as advertised. He did give up 2 sacks - same amount he gave up all last year. Jitters? New system? Hopefully. Texans didn’t trade for a guy that was fully developed and that’s what I saw last night. Still a great amount of talent to work with before y’all go freaking out with the negativity interventions. Best lineman we’ve had since Duane just needs to round out.
Devlin and OB are now coaching him. That should explain why Tunsil now gave up two sacks. lol