Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Suck for #1 QB in 2022 Draft

Texian

Hall of Fame
Too Soon? Does this make the Mills pick seem a bit silly?

Who said there were no good QBs in the 2022? Showed their ignorance they did.

TIME TO GET YOUR SUCK ON TEXANS!

Here we go, who to keep an eye on in 2021 season:

1. Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina - Comes with a high pedigree and remarkable resume. He will certainly be tested in 2021 with Javonte William, Michael Carter, Diyami Brown off to the NFL.

(1) Sam Howell 2020 Sophomore Season Extended Highlights | UNC Football QB - YouTube

2. Kedon Slovis, QB. USC - High School coach Kurt Warner, Record setting QB as a freshman and soph QB at USC.

(1) Kedon Slovis USC Highlights | The 2020 Season - YouTube

(1) College Football Analysis: Kedon Slovis - YouTube

3. Spencer Rattler, OB, Oklahoma - 5 Star recruit out of Phoenix.

(1) Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler Highlights - YouTube

4. Carson Strong, QB, Nevada - A prototypical NFL QB kicking some Big Boys butt. The kid's got talent.

(1) Carson Strong 2020 Highlights | Nevada QB | 2022 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

5. Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati - Almost beat Georgia in Peach Bowl for a perfect season.

(1) The QB You NEED To KNOW 🔥🔥🔥 || Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube

(1) Jordan Palmer Breaks Down Desmond Ridder's Game - YouTube

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
3rd round or later QB's can become starters.
Wanna wait and see before we kick him to the kerb?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Keep Davis and get a kings ransom in 2022 picks for our 1-1.

:coffee:
I think as the 2021 college season progresses you will find that the five QBs in this thread are better QBs than Mills. I think you will also find that history shows the greatest success and getting to Super Bowl is from QBs that were drafted in the first round. That must be some pretty good Kool Aid? Cuppaakoolaid? Take Howell and trade DW4 for a King's ransom and Mills for a 3rd RD.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Kayvon Thibodeaux is the 1st pick in the 2022 draft. Everyone knows this.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Kayvon Thibodeaux is the 1st pick in the 2022 draft. Everyone knows this.
Via SportsLine oddsmakers: Early favorites to be first overall pick of the 2022 NFL Draft
  • Sam Howell +200
  • Spencer Rattler +300
  • Kayvon Thibodeaux +300
  • Derek Stingley Jr. +800
  • JT Daniels +900

Last edited:
Nothing as of yet seems exciting about the 2022 QB class. These guys all have potential but if the Texans end up with the top pick it could be deja vu with no clear cut QB1.
I'm apprehensive on Howell as history has shown no Mack Brown QB has been successful in the NFL.
When I watched Slovis, just didn't find anything that seemed to make him special. His highlights made me impressed with his WR Drake London. There was some chatter about his mechanics and an injury.
Rattler needs maturing which he should have after another year.
Haven't seen Strong, so hopefully a full 2021 season will shed more light.
I'll try to watch some Cincinnati games this upcoming season, the highlights I watched showed Ridder locking onto his first target.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Nothing as of yet seems exciting about the 2022 QB class. These guys all have potential but if the Texans end up with the top pick it could be deja vu with no clear cut QB1.
I'm apprehensive on Howell as history has shown no Mack Brown QB has been successful in the NFL.
When I watched Slovis, just didn't find anything that seemed to make him special. His highlights made me impressed with his WR Drake London. There was some chatter about his mechanics and an injury.
I'll try to watch some Cincinnati games this upcoming season, the highlights I watched showed Ridder locking onto his first target.
Give the media time.....they’ll find more than a few QB’s having career years in the 2021 CFB season that immediately make them solid RD1 investments with zero to no chance of failure.

vtech9

All Pro
Via SportsLine oddsmakers: Early favorites to be first overall pick of the 2022 NFL Draft
  • Sam Howell +200
  • Spencer Rattler +300
  • Kayvon Thibodeaux +300
  • Derek Stingley Jr. +800
  • JT Daniels +900
Unfortunately for you, I don't think the Texans will have the #1 pick next year. We may have one of the first 10 picks, but I'm expecting them to be picking closer to 12-15.

mussop

Hall of Fame
I think as the 2021 college season progresses you will find that the five QBs in this thread are better QBs than Mills. I think you will also find that history shows the greatest success and getting to Super Bowl is from QBs that were drafted in the first round. That must be some pretty good Kool Aid? Cuppaakoolaid? Take Howell and trade DW4 for a King's ransom and Mills for a 3rd RD.
None of them are worthy of a number one pick.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I agree with your evaluations of the quarterbacks you mention. At least this season I will have more interest in watching college football than the last.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Too Soon? Does this make the Mills pick seem a bit silly?

Who said there were no good QBs in the 2022? Showed their ignorance they did.

TIME TO GET YOUR SUCK ON TEXANS!

Here we go, who to keep an eye on in 2021 season:

1. Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina - Comes with a high pedigree and remarkable resume. He will certainly be tested in 2021 with Javonte William, Michael Carter, Diyami Brown off to the NFL.

(1) Sam Howell 2020 Sophomore Season Extended Highlights | UNC Football QB - YouTube

2. Kedon Slovis, QB. USC - High School coach Kurt Warner, Record setting QB as a freshman and soph QB at USC.

(1) Kedon Slovis USC Highlights | The 2020 Season - YouTube

(1) College Football Analysis: Kedon Slovis - YouTube

3. Spencer Rattler, OB, Oklahoma - 5 Star recruit out of Phoenix.

(1) Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler Highlights - YouTube

4. Carson Strong, QB, Nevada - A prototypical NFL QB kicking some Big Boys butt. The kid's got talent.

(1) Carson Strong 2020 Highlights | Nevada QB | 2022 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

5. Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati - Almost beat Georgia in Peach Bowl for a perfect season.

(1) The QB You NEED To KNOW 🔥🔥🔥 || Cincinnati QB Desmond Ridder Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube

(1) Jordan Palmer Breaks Down Desmond Ridder's Game - YouTube
With 3 first round picks, they could also trade for an established vet.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I hope not. I prefer using this opportunity to set up roster with great cap control going forward. I am not against signing a established veteran QB however I am not wanting to trade three first-round picks for anyone that might be available out there including Aaron Rodgers. Do you have any suggestions for us to consider? I think any qualified vet would come with a hefty contract.
Also I want to see if Pep Hamilton is actually any good and can bring Davis Mills to where several on this board believe he can be. Mills does not have to be a great quarterback just a very good one and that is a possibility.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I don't mean to throw cold water but any established vet worth 3 1st RD picks would most assuredly veto that trade. DW4 has his troubles but that doesn't stop the word from getting out on exactly why wants to get out of town. Regardless of DW4's outcome, his reasons for wanting to leave will resonate and spread like wildfire amongst all the players.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Nothing as of yet seems exciting about the 2022 QB class.
2022 draft = strong. Early mocks have 5 or 6 QB going in the first round. Some names to watch:

Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma
Sam Howell, North Carolina
Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati
JT Daniels, Georgia
Malik Willis, Liberty
Carson Strong, Nevada
Matt Corral, Ole Miss
Phil Jurkovec, Boston College
Kedon Slovis, USC
Jayden Daniels, Arizona State

Tyler Shough, Texas Tech
Bo Nix, QB, Auburn
Tanner Morgan, QB, Minnesota
Brock Purdy, QB, Iowa State
Emory Jones, QB, Florida
Sean Clifford, QB, Penn State
Layne Hatcher, QB, Arkansas State
Dustin Crum, QB, Kent State
Jacob Zeno, QB, Baylor
Spencer Sanders, QB, Oklahoma State
Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA
Nick Starkel, San Jose State
Dustin Crum, Kent State
Anthony Russo, Michigan State
Charlie Brewer, Utah
Sean Clifford, Penn State
Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky
Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh
Jack Coan, Notre Dame
Jarrett Guarantano, Washington State
Jake Bentley, South Alabama
D'Eriq King, Miami

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I don't mean to throw cold water but any established vet worth 3 1st RD picks would most assuredly veto that trade. DW4 has his troubles but that doesn't stop the word from getting out on exactly why wants to get out of town. Regardless of DW4's outcome, his reasons for wanting to leave will resonate and spread like wildfire amongst all the players.
They don't have to use all 3.
Teammates likely already know.
I wonder how many players respect someone with the accusations Watson has against him.

Texian

Hall of Fame
They don't have to use all 3.
Teammates likely already know.
I wonder how many players respect someone with the accusations Watson has against him.
The accusations have little to do with criticism of ownership and the front office but you're smart enough to know that. The word is already out there courtesy of Duane Brown, D'Andre Hopkins and Andre Johnson.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
The accusations have little to do with criticism of ownership and the front office but you're smart enough to know that. The word is already out there courtesy of Duane Brown, D'Andre Hopkins and Andre Johnson.
You are smart enough to know that money talks.
Plenty of players stayed and more wanted on board to prove my point.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
2022 draft = strong. Early mocks have 5 or 6 QB going in the first round. Some names to watch:

Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma
Sam Howell, North Carolina
Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati
JT Daniels, Georgia
Malik Willis, Liberty
Carson Strong, Nevada
Matt Corral, Ole Miss
Phil Jurkovec, Boston College
Kedon Slovis, USC
Jayden Daniels, Arizona State

Tyler Shough, Texas Tech
Bo Nix, QB, Auburn
Tanner Morgan, QB, Minnesota
Brock Purdy, QB, Iowa State
Emory Jones, QB, Florida
Sean Clifford, QB, Penn State
Layne Hatcher, QB, Arkansas State
Dustin Crum, QB, Kent State
Jacob Zeno, QB, Baylor
Spencer Sanders, QB, Oklahoma State
Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA
Nick Starkel, San Jose State
Dustin Crum, Kent State
Anthony Russo, Michigan State
Charlie Brewer, Utah
Sean Clifford, Penn State
Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky
Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh
Jack Coan, Notre Dame
Jarrett Guarantano, Washington State
Jake Bentley, South Alabama
D'Eriq King, Miami
Weighted on-target % rankings updated for 2022 class:

Rattler: 74.02
Corral: 73.25
Howell: 71.87
Strong: 68.78
Grayson McCall, Coastal Carolina: 67.79
Kaleb Eleby, Western Michigan: 67.42
Dillon Gabriel, UCF : 66.84
Ja. Daniels: 66.55
Slovis: 64.97
Jurkovec: 64.77
Michael Penix Jr., Indiana: 62.30
Willis: 61.87
Thompson-Robinson: 57.74
Ridder: 55.85

beerlover

Hall of Fame
But none of those before the 3rd rd. If Mills is a plus back-up, better than Tyrod Taylor, that’s a win in my book. However, none of the QB’s you’ve mentioned are better than Kayvon

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That may also depend on what QBs are in the draft. If there is a “must draft” like an Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers or Trevor Lawrence then Texans may feel they have to take him depending on how the Watson situation goes.

I’ll admit I don’t follow college but so far I haven’t heard of any QBs really making much noise. Of course that could be due to the covid situation last year. I don’t know, to our college gurus are there any QBs in the next draft that are looking like real super stars?
I have Rattler (Okl) and Slovis (USC).

Rattler looks to be somewhere between Murray, Mayfield, and Mahomes.

Slovis is more of a pocket passer. He's not rattled in the pocket. He always looks to pass first as he rolls out of the pocket unless it's a clear call. He has the wit to try to take advantage of a 5yd offside penalty by the defense.
All that as a true Fr in 2019.
USC didn't have the full complement around him either.

The offensive line was a weak link:

The run game averaged 42 yards fewer than the opponents.

Slovis had a good receiver in Michael Pittman (2nd rd pick by the Colts) big but not fast (smaller and slower than AJ).
Another good college receiver (but not great) (St. Brown - 112th pick this past draft).

USC strength of schedule was the 10th most difficult in the NCAA that year.

And this was the accolades Slovis received from a PFF analyst:

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
For the past 5 drafts, there have been QBs that weren't on the NFL radar the year prior, but emerged as high draft picks.

2017 - Mitch Trubisky (#2)
2018 - Josh Allen (#7)
2019 - Daniel Jones (#6)
2020 - Joe Burrow (#1)
2021 - Zach Wilson (#2)

Who will be that popup QB in 2022? I am keeping an eye on Stanford's Tanner McKee. McKee was in the heralded 2018 HS recruiting class, along with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. Rather than head straight to campus at Palo Alto, McKee spent the next 2 years on a Mormon mission in Brazil. When McKee returned in 2020, he missed significant practice time due to Stanford shutting down athletics due to COVID.

McKee appears to have the edge as the Cardinal starting QB coming out of the Spring game. At 6'6' 220 lbs, Tanner has NFL size, a plus arm, with touch, as well as surprising athleticism for a QB that size. Below is an article on McKee, a clip of McKee (#18) at the Stanford spring game, along with some high school video as a RPO QB. I think there is a real chance that McKee is the 2022 draft popup QB.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I have Rattler (Okl) and Slovis (USC).

Rattler looks to be somewhere between Murray, Mayfield, and Mahomes.

Slovis is more of a pocket passer. He's not rattled in the pocket. He always looks to pass first as he rolls out of the pocket unless it's a clear call. He has the wit to try to take advantage of a 5yd offside penalty by the defense.
All that as a true Fr in 2019.
USC didn't have the full complement around him either.

The offensive line was a weak link:

The run game averaged 42 yards fewer than the opponents.

Slovis had a good receiver in Michael Pittman (2nd rd pick by the Colts) big but not fast (smaller and slower than AJ).
Another good college receiver (but not great) (St. Brown - 112th pick this past draft).

USC strength of schedule was the 10th most difficult in the NCAA that year.

And this was the accolades Slovis received from a PFF analyst:
There is just something about slovis that concerns me and I really need to pay more attention to him this year. To be honest it's probably because I have a bias against quarterbacks coming out of California.

badboy

Hall of Fame
For the past 5 drafts, there have been QBs that weren't on the NFL radar the year prior, but emerged as high draft picks.

2017 - Mitch Trubisky (#2)
2018 - Josh Allen (#7)
2019 - Daniel Jones (#6)
2020 - Joe Burrow (#1)
2021 - Zach Wilson (#2)

Who will be that popup QB in 2022? I am keeping an eye on Stanford's Tanner McKee. McKee was in the heralded 2018 HS recruiting class, along with Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. Rather than head straight to campus at Palo Alto, McKee spent the next 2 years on a Mormon mission in Brazil. When McKee returned in 2020, he missed significant practice time due to Stanford shutting down athletics due to COVID.

McKee appears to have the edge as the Cardinal starting QB coming out of the Spring game. At 6'6' 220 lbs, Tanner has NFL size, a plus arm, with touch, as well as surprising athleticism for a QB that size. Below is an article on McKee, a clip of McKee (#18) at the Stanford spring game, along with some high school video as a RPO QB. I think there is a real chance that McKee is the 2022 draft popup QB.

Interesting based upon one game 3 of 7 completions for 62 yards. I'm certainly not saying you are wrong but he is not even on my radar.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Interesting based upon one game 3 of 7 completions for 62 yards. I'm certainly not saying you are wrong but he is not even on my radar.
The exact definition of a “Pop-Up QB”. These 1 season wonders actually have their best chance to succeed in today’s NFL due to the offensive transition that more closely mirrors the CFB passing attack.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
There is just something about slovis that concerns me and I really need to pay more attention to him this year. To be honest it's probably because I have a bias against quarterbacks coming out of California.
QBs who went to college in California or QBs who were born and raised in California?

Texian

Hall of Fame
And in others including mine based on previous 2021 season.
previous 2021 season???

Really?

Signed
John Elway and Aaron Rodgers and Dan Pastorini

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
previous 2021 season???

Really?

Signed
John Elway and Aaron Rodgers and Dan Pastorini
Used voice to text "pre-2021" smart phone typed previous". I would think you knew what I meant but here you go.

I would be more impressed on your second point if you could come up with somebody since 2005.

Pastorini Career avg 51% and maybe less as Oiler in early years. Tough but not accurate. Dan might be a fan fave now looking back but his early seasons were reviled by many. I remember over the years on Texans talk I have twice brought up Pastorini famously throwing pass to Kilmore on upper floor of hotel. Ball hit floor 10 balcony. One guy says good arm strength and Unitas said yeah but his receiver was on the 5th floor.

I did not say good quarterbacks could not come out of California I said I had a bias against them and I'm not going back more than 15 years to find a good quarterback.

Found article from Lopez book.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Used voice to text "pre-2021" smart phone typed previous". I would think you knew what I meant but here you go.

I would be more impressed on your second point if you could come up with somebody since 2005.

Pastorini Career avg 51% and maybe less as Oiler in early years. Tough but not accurate. Dan might be a fan fave now looking back but his early seasons were reviled by many. I remember over the years on Texans talk I have twice brought up Pastorini famously throwing pass to Kilmore on upper floor of hotel. Ball hit floor 10 balcony. One guy says good arm strength and Unitas said yeah but his receiver was on the 5th floor.

I did not say good quarterbacks could not come out of California I said I had a bias against them and I'm not going back more than 15 years to find a good quarterback.

Found article from Lopez book.
Liked because I generally agree with you. But that Herbert guy is pretty good. Also I think Darnold will be a top 15 -17 QB this year.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
So Herbert is good, maybe top 10 good but Darnold only 6-8 spots below him?

Let my try a pre-season simulation- end of season will probably look a whole lot different

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Josh Allen
3. Aaron Rodgers (he will slip just by leaving Packer system)
4. Russell Wilson
5. Tom Brady (Goat until someone knocks him out)
6. Dak Prescott (I'm uncomfortable placing him this high coming off injury, but he does have weapons)
7. Kyler Murray
8. Lamar Jackson
9. Justin Herbert (your right, he made it)
10. Matthew Stafford
11. Ryan Tannehill
12. Baker Mayfield
13. Matt Ryan
14. Joe Burrow (if fully recovered)
15. Ben Roethlisberger
16. Trevor Larwence
17. Sam Darnold

Sam would have to beat out Cam Newton & Jameis Winston (both former #1's) Carson Wentz, Kirk Cousins, Ryan (smarter than O'Brian) Fitzpatrick and Derek Carr. Not to mention at least one of these three rookies will catch fire Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson. Not even mentioning Deshaun Watson.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So Herbert is good, maybe top 10 good but Darnold only 6-8 spots below him?

Let my try a pre-season simulation- end of season will probably look a whole lot different

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Josh Allen
3. Aaron Rodgers (he will slip just by leaving Packer system)
4. Russell Wilson
5. Tom Brady (Goat until someone knocks him out)
6. Dak Prescott (I'm uncomfortable placing him this high coming off injury, but he does have weapons)
7. Kyler Murray
8. Lamar Jackson
9. Justin Herbert (your right, he made it)
10. Matthew Stafford
11. Ryan Tannehill
12. Baker Mayfield
13. Matt Ryan
14. Joe Burrow (if fully recovered)
15. Ben Roethlisberger
16. Trevor Larwence
17. Sam Darnold

Sam would have to beat out Cam Newton & Jameis Winston (both former #1's) Carson Wentz, Kirk Cousins, Ryan (smarter than O'Brian) Fitzpatrick and Derek Carr. Not to mention at least one of these three rookies will catch fire Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Zach Wilson. Not even mentioning Deshaun Watson.
Good list

I've got Carr also rated higher. Take Lawrence off of the list and what has Stafford done to be rated so high? But I get your point.