Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans sign S Jahleel Addae

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When have the Texans ever retained their own guys, minus Watt/McKinney/Hopkins? McKinney is the outlier and I'm surprised they kept him because they only pay the Hopkins/Watt level guys and let the Bouye/Brooks/Jones level guys walk. This is another way the Texans org needs to change the way it does business.

Bouye/Mathieu/Brooks/Jones etc...

The way you describe our roster it is mostly devoid of talent.....(minus the few you mentioned.)

Why on earth would you want to retain them? :)

:coffee:
The OL is/was devoid of talent because the former GM didn't want to pay Brown/Jones/Brooks.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, we drafted two OL. and our draft class is not full of injuries....
True,

But have they truly changed the way they do business,

Have they changed their policies on contracts, bringing in the best FA's, letting their mid level guys walk in FA?

About the only things that has changed is they're better in the draft and have started adding Vet coaches to their staff. Spending $$$$, nothing has changed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If you can't see the difference in the way we executed this draft, as opposed to the past, then I don't think I could explain it to your satisfaction.

Agreed, they've changed the way they approach the draft. How many draft day trades has Gaine made?

They decided to draft a couple of small school OL.

So yes, they've changed. They've become even more conservative in the draft/FA under Gaine.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
[QUOTE="steelbtexan, post: 2941220, member: 9766]"When have the Texans ever retained their own guys, minus Watt/McKinney/Hopkins? McKinney is the outlier and I'm surprised they kept him because they only pay the Hopkins/Watt level guys and let the Bouye/Brooks/Jones level guys walk. This is another way the Texans org needs to change the way it does business.

Bouye/Mathieu/Brooks/Jones etc...

I guess DB/AJ- numerous times/Cushing/JJoe/KJ...etc. don't count?[/QUOTE]

Oh, they count and hopefully Gaine does a better job. So you think the Texans org does a good job of retaining their mid level FA's?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think they are doing a much better job of not over-valuing mid level FA's
Lets hope so.

This way they can become salary cap champions since they have stopped valuing their mid level guys and never have been spenders in FA.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
True,

But have they truly changed the way they do business,

Have they changed their policies on contracts, bringing in the best FA's, letting their mid level guys walk in FA?

**About the only things that has changed is they're better in the draft and have started adding Vet coaches to their staff. Spending $$$$, nothing has changed.

To the bolded: It's too early in the Gaine tenure to reach any conclusions. Give the guy some time for crying out loud.

**So the changes they have made don't count until they start spending more money? That seems to be your only criteria for success. Doesn't make sense.

disaacks3

Staff member
I guess DB/AJ- numerous times/Cushing/JJoe/KJ...etc. don't count?
They do, but the argument could be made that we've lost folks due to inflexible policies as well. While I give the Texans kudos in that they've never been shy about explaining their position, it stands to reason that several players were infuriated enough with the process that they'd rather go somewhere else...thereby denying the Texans a real "chance" at retention. I suspect there's more than a few players who don't want to have to worry about contractual stuff in the off-season.

Reactions: JB

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
They do, but the argument could be made that we've lost folks due to inflexible policies as well. While I give the Texans kudos in that they've never been shy about explaining their position, it stands to reason that several players were infuriated enough with the process that they'd rather go somewhere else...thereby denying the Texans a real "chance" at retention. I suspect there's more than a few players who don't want to have to worry about contractual stuff in the off-season.
Well lets be honest if the Texans were a Superbowl winning team or were considered favorites then they can do what they want when it comes to contract negotiations. I mean you never hear reports about how flexible the Pats are and about how they go out of their way to keep players but no one cares because they win. The mentality is they are letting you be on their team not that you are gifting them by being on their team. As Tiger Woods said "Winning solves everything."

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
McClain: Why two recent additions excite Texans GM Brian Gaine

John McClain , Houston Chronicle May 8, 2019

Texans general manager Brian Gaine was asked this week about two of his newest additions — veteran safety Jahleel Addae and undrafted rookie receiver Johnnie Dixon.

Addae signed with the Texans to replace the retired Andre Hal. After starting every game the last two seasons at strong safety and free safety for the Los Angeles Chargers, he was released to save $5 million under the salary cap.

Addae, who played more snaps the last two seasons than any player on the Chargers, will back up Justin Reid and Tashaun Gipson.

THE REST OF THE STORY

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
With the 2018 draft and the basic philosophy of signing Henderson it made me think things were changing. Along with the old carpetbagger dying. I was very wrong.
Carpetbagger? Really? I don't think you know what that means but it don't fit Bob McNair

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Carpetbagger? Really? I don't think you know what that means but it don't fit Bob McNair
It really does

Came to Houston and enriched himself off of the back of Houstonians.

Carpetbagger by the strictest of terms, no because he was from South Carolina. But you get the idea.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
It really does

Came to Houston and enriched himself off of the back of Houstonians.

Carpetbagger by the strictest of terms, no because he was from South Carolina. But you get the idea.
You need to do some research before making ridiculous statements like that...
Professional career[edit]
The McNairs were residents of Houston, Texas beginning in 1960. He spent most of his 20s and 30s as a struggling salesman and unsuccessful entrepreneur whose businesses all failed. He eventually broke through to success when he founded the cogenerationcompany Cogen Technologies, which he sold in 1999 to Enron and CalPERS. At the time of his death, McNair retained ownership of power plants in New York and West Virginia. McNair served as chairman and chief executive officer of The McNair Group, a financial and real estate firm that is headquartered in Houston, Texas. He was also the owner of Palmetto Partners, Ltd., a private investment company that manages the McNairs' public and private equity investments, and was Chairman of The McNair Foundation. In June 2000, McNair formed a biotechnology investment firm, Cogene Biotech Ventures, where he served as company chairman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_McNair

I swear you are the most obstinate, close-minded individual I've ever tried to have a discussion with

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Getting back to football talk,

What have the Texans done this offseason to make you think anything has changed from when the old man was alive. I know another thing that hasn't changed, season ticket prices have gone up again.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I'm curious to see if Mathieu's comments change the way the Texans do Business. We have Addae, Roby, & Kahlil on one year deals. If these guys play well, I wonder if they'll address extensions during the regular season.
Good question. We don't know if the Texans were not interested in signing HB at all or just at that price? I would tend to believe that they wanted him back, but weren't willing to spend that much on him. I think we are better off spending that money elsewhere, even if it isn't this offseason.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Good question. We don't know if the Texans were not interested in signing HB at all or just at that price? I would tend to believe that they wanted him back, but weren't willing to spend that much on him. I think we are better off spending that money elsewhere, even if it isn't this offseason.
They made a substantial offer. I believe in the $9M/yr range. I'll look around & see if I can find a source.

But they signed Gipson to a $7M contract, which I think is about right for Mathieu. $7-$9M/yr. He signed with KC for $14M/yr. Top dollar according to OTC. I'm glad we didn't do that. He may very well have been the top safety in FA, but he's nowhere near the best Safety in the league.

& imo, that's a good thing the Texans aren't playing that game.

Aj Bouye is another one. I liked him. I wanted the Texans to keep him. They should have tried to extend him before his final season. But iirc, they didn't address his deal until after, & then he's a month from FA... it would be foolish not to test the waters. But top 10? Again I like the kid but he's not among the ten best CBs in the league.

But yeah, if they offered HB $10M/yr he might still be here & TEs would still be our bane.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
They made a substantial offer. I believe in the $9M/yr range. I'll look around & see if I can find a source.

But they signed Gipson to a $7M contract, which I think is about right for Mathieu. $7-$9M/yr. He signed with KC for $14M/yr. Top dollar according to OTC. I'm glad we didn't do that. He may very well have been the top safety in FA, but he's nowhere near the best Safety in the league.

& imo, that's a good thing the Texans aren't playing that game.

Aj Bouye is another one. I liked him. I wanted the Texans to keep him. They should have tried to extend him before his final season. But iirc, they didn't address his deal until after, & then he's a month from FA... it would be foolish not to test the waters. But top 10? Again I like the kid but he's not among the ten best CBs in the league.

But yeah, if they offered HB $10M/yr he might still be here & TEs would still be our bane.
Agree on HB being overpriced for his level of play. To be fair not many safeties can be worth that amount.

As far as Bouye, the team should have franchised him like they have with Clowney when a long term deal couldn't be reached prior to free agency opening.

And as far as Steelb's ranting about Texans not retaining their own...

Post injury Matt Schaub/Cushing, Griffin, Fiedo and a host of other re-signings we'd rather forget. The Texans have always made it a priority to re-sign their own players. Hopefully now that Gaine is at the helm they will take a player's future production into account prior to giving them a new deal.

Now lets get back to talking about our new 3rd safety!