Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans trade Randall Cobb

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
What will the wide receiver Corps look if we draft a Mims or a Reagor at 2.40 + Fuller returns healthy? IIRC, Reagor avg 15+ with poor QB.
Everyone healthy (lol), it will look 3 veterans with solid specific roles and a rookie trying to figure out the NFL. Last year was well above average for rookie WRs making an instant impact and not one totaled 60 catches.

of course, this means that one of those guys falls to the Texans and BOB picks one over a DT/DE or something else (or taking the WR that is rated as a 4th rounder) I mean remember last year this time when all of Draftsperts were talking about the Alabama State and Northern Illinois LTs the Texans were taking with their first and second round.

seriously, when have the Texans followed the pre-draft script in terms of the highest position of need with universally thought of highest rated player?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Everyone healthy (lol), it will look 3 veterans with solid specific roles and a rookie trying to figure out the NFL. Last year was well above average for rookie WRs making an instant impact and not one totaled 60 catches.

of course, this means that one of those guys falls to the Texans and BOB picks one over a DT/DE or something else (or taking the WR that is rated as a 4th rounder) I mean remember last year this time when all of Draftsperts were talking about the Alabama State and Northern Illinois LTs the Texans were taking with their first and second round.

seriously, when have the Texans followed the pre-draft script in terms of the highest position of need with universally thought of highest rated player?
I'm more interested in seeing if the Texans can get a Sharpie and Howard ie: WR and a pass rusher with our two second-round. 3rd to go for a cornerback and we could get a running back with our remaining fourth-rounder. See I am trying to get past my disappointment

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
I'm more interested in seeing if the Texans can get a Sharpie and Howard ie: WR and a pass rusher with our two second-round. 3rd to go for a cornerback and we could get a running back with our remaining fourth-rounder. See I am trying to get past my disappointment
Outside the handful of "I would rather be right" posters, most of the board wants to move past that stuff from yesterday. I hope the Texans find the Michael Thomas 2nd round WR who gets 'it"right away, but the realistic part of me says that if a WR is taken he is going to 50/50 being any good in the short term at best and cynical part says the Texans are going pull another what the heck (nice word) in or before the draft.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would have loved this signing if NUK was here...real depth. Instead, Cobb keeps the WR corps from awful because a solid. professional player...as you say pretty good ( not more than that though).
Hopefully they can find an A.J. Brown in the 2nd rd.

Van Jefferson has a chance to be like AJ and you can get him in the 3rd/4th rd.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I like his combine 40 but he's not quite that game fast at his size. Due to all the depth at wide receiver I had him going at 4.128 but hopefully that's the fourth round we traded to... No I just can't say it. Claypool, Stills/Cobb, Fuller?
I’m not sure what you mean by “he’s not quite that game fast at his size”? Tall athletes, generally speaking, don’t have the acceleration ability of shorter athletes but once they get going their speed starts to show. If you looked at the 10m splits of Usain Bolt you’d see what I mean. His first 10-20 aren’t special, but once he gets going it’s over. Taller receivers generally aren’t as quick in and out of breaks either due to a higher COG. What Claypool has is size, jumping ability (40” VJ) speed (whether he looks fast or not) and length. I believe his wingspan is 80”. I think he could become a match up nightmare for most DBs. Imagine a 5’11-6’ DB trying to defend a 6’4” WR with long arms and a 40” VJ. Claypool also has an excellent catch radius. One of the knocks on Watson by some is his accuracy. How can you help with that, by getting WRs that can create separation or that have a big catch radius. Claypool is an excellent run blocker as well. Like it or not, we all know OB loves to run the ball. Having a WR that can and will run block is important IMO. I like him for us because he’s different than what we already have, which is a bunch of smaller quick/fast WRs.

Also, I’d love to grab him in the 3rd or 4th but I don’t think he’ll last that long

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m not sure what you mean by “he’s not quite that game fast at his size”? Tall athletes, generally speaking, don’t have the acceleration ability of shorter athletes but once they get going their speed starts to show. If you looked at the 10m splits of Usain Bolt you’d see what I mean. His first 10-20 aren’t special, but once he gets going it’s over. Taller receivers generally aren’t as quick in and out of breaks either due to a higher COG. What Claypool has is size, jumping ability (40” VJ) speed (whether he looks fast or not) and length. I believe his wingspan is 80”. I think he could become a match up nightmare for most DBs. Imagine a 5’11-6’ DB trying to defend a 6’4” WR with long arms and a 40” VJ. Claypool also has an excellent catch radius. One of the knocks on Watson by some is his accuracy. How can you help with that, by getting WRs that can create separation or that have a big catch radius. Claypool is an excellent run blocker as well. Like it or not, we all know OB loves to run the ball. Having a WR that can and will run block is important IMO. I like him for us because he’s different than what we already have, which is a bunch of smaller quick/fast WRs.

Also, I’d love to grab him in the 3rd or 4th but I don’t think he’ll last that long

I think he goes in the 3rd before the Texans pick.

He's also a great ST's guy.

RGV82

Random guy
Randall Cobb is a waste of a signing. Injury prone and inconsistent. We are gonna have to do a lot better than Cobb to compensate for Hopkins.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Not insulting Claypool but his game speed in my view doesn't equate with the 4.42 and he does not appear to be a "streak" even once he builds up. Strong defenders will slow his get to speed ability. He does have "game speed" which DBs and LBs under estimate to their chagrin. He is a target inside or outside & his size/strength vertical 40.5 puts him in as a plus for Watson. Negative is his build up speed doesn't help #4 needing "quick throw get me out this" that Reagor does. I agree with all else you say including he might be gone but when I mocked him in round 4 we still had a certain #10 reducing need for drafted WRs.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Will either one of these receivers crack the 1000-1500 yards mark?
Not sure which you are referring to but Cobb no, Claypool, Mims and Reagor are definite possibilities depending on game plan. I am expecting TEs/RBs getting more targets and depending on how new WRs progress more emphasis on running game. FYI to MB there are some tantalizing WRs day three as are RBs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not sure which you are referring to but Cobb no, Claypool, Mims and Reagor are definite possibilities depending on game plan. I am expecting TEs/RBs getting more targets and depending on how new WRs progress more emphasis on running game. FYI to MB there are some tantalizing WRs day three as are RBs.
Cleveland is my favorite day 3 WR because he's very dynamic as a KR/PR too.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not insulting Claypool but his game speed in my view doesn't equate with the 4.42 and he does not appear to be a "streak" even once he builds up. Strong defenders will slow his get to speed ability. He does have "game speed" which DBs and LBs under estimate to their chagrin. He is a target inside or outside & his size/strength vertical 40.5 puts him in as a plus for Watson. Negative is his build up speed doesn't help #4 needing "quick throw get me out this" that Reagor does. I agree with all else you say including he might be gone but when I mocked him in round 4 we still had a certain #10 reducing need for drafted WRs.
I think Reagor goes before Claypool, but Claypool in the RZ is a very tantalizing pick. I trust Otisbean when he said Claypool is better than Boykin and Boykin was very good last yr.

Mangler

Toro de España
Randall Cobb is a waste of a signing. Injury prone and inconsistent. We are gonna have to do a lot better than Cobb to compensate for Hopkins.
The only way we can compensate for Hopkins is by signing AB. Now is not the time for Butt Chin to be picky or get on his high horse. He got himself in this mess and it’s up to him to clean it up!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The only way we can compensate for Hopkins is by signing AB. Now is not the time for Butt Chin to be picky or get on his high horse. He got himself in this mess and it’s up to him to clean it up!
Rumor is TB wants AB in Tampa to go with Evans/Godwin.

#Weapons

RGV82

Random guy
Cobb was actually good last yr and will be the best slot WR since BOB's been here. He's a massive upgrade over Coutee/Carter. He wasn't signed to replace Hopkins.
I would hesitate to say that he was good last year. He put up decent numbers, but when you look at all the other weapons Dallas had to take pressure off of him, it adds up. We have no Zeke Elliot, we have no Amari Cooper, etc. I would expect more of the Cobb from 2016-2018 as opposed to the Cobb from 2019.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Cobb was actually good last yr and will be the best slot WR since BOB's been here. He's a massive upgrade over Coutee/Carter. He wasn't signed to replace Hopkins.
100% agree again. He would have been great with Hop on the field. As I said elsewhere I believe David Johnson will be much better then many think when We get past the emotion. His cap hit is what irks me

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFL executives opine on Texans' addition of Randall Cobb
March 21, 2020 Updated: March 21, 2020 8 a.m.

When the Texans signed former Cowboys wide receiver Randall Cobb, it was several hours after their extremely unpopular trade of All-Pro wideout DeAndre Hopkins in exchange for Arizona Cardinals running back David Johnson.

The Texans' fast pivot to Cobb — via a three-year, $27 million contract that included nearly $19 million guaranteed, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly — is for a different kind of downfield target than Hopkins. They aren't the same caliber or type of player, but Cobb has his merits, according to NFL executives.

Cobb, 29, is a classic slot receiver, more of a possession type than a deep threat for Pro Bowl quarterback Deshaun Watson. He primarily runs underneath, operating over the middle.

He caught 55 passes for 828 yards and three touchdowns last season. Cobb uncharacteristically dropped at least 10 catchable passes last season, though.
"Cobb is a good player and a great person," one NFL executive wrote in a text message. "Smart, catches good, some drops. QB will love him."

Another NFL executive had a similar opinion on Cobb.

"Vet slot with experience as an inside WR," the executive wrote in a text. "More of a possession type, good feel for playing inside, not as much of an outside WR at this stage."

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Funny how Belichick was willing to bring AB last yr but BOB isn't.

Every thought about why? #NotTexansWorthy. McNair
let’s see who thinks he’s worthy now. I doubt the Patriots would look at him again. He is most likely not NFL worthy anymore.

AB is toxic now, regardless what the Texans think

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
let’s see who thinks he’s worthy now. I doubt the Patriots would look at him again. He is most likely not NFL worthy anymore.

AB is toxic now, regardless what the Texans think
If God'ell frees him he will play somewhere in the NFL next yr. Probably with Brady and the Bucs. Brady with Evans/Godwin/AB/Howard/Brate = really good stuff and I've got a feeling all of the Brady is washed up hopefuls are going to be sadly disappointed.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
from the way the circus that was Antonio Brown turned out in NE, the Texans were right.
Agreed, but that's not the point.

The Pats were willing to roll the dice. Came up snakeyes but they were willing to take the shot. Could you ever imagine the Texans org taking a shot like that? LMAO

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

Randall Cobb speaks on choosing the Texans
I like the guy. I wonder if he will still feel the same at the end of the season?

“The reason I picked the Texans is, obviously, I think that you look at what they’ve been able to do over the past few years,” Cobb said. “[They] went to the playoffs four of the past five times. At this point in my career, I still don’t have a ring, so I want to be in a situation where I have that possibility. I think when you look at Deshaun and what he’s been able to do since he’s been in the league, I’ve been really impressed from afar watching him. He has tremendous ability. He’s a winner. He’s won at every level, from high school to college. I think he has that ability to take us to a Super Bowl and I want to be a part of something special with him.”

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I like the guy. I wonder if he will still feel the same at the end of the season?

“The reason I picked the Texans is, obviously, I think that you look at what they’ve been able to do over the past few years,” Cobb said. “[They] went to the playoffs four of the past five times. At this point in my career, I still don’t have a ring, so I want to be in a situation where I have that possibility. I think when you look at Deshaun and what he’s been able to do since he’s been in the league, I’ve been really impressed from afar watching him. He has tremendous ability. He’s a winner. He’s won at every level, from high school to college. I think he has that ability to take us to a Super Bowl and I want to be a part of something special with him.”
Translation: The Texans paid me 3 times what Dallas could and I hope it's possible that DW4 could wiin a SB

Reactions: Max

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
Outside the handful of "I would rather be right" posters, most of the board wants to move past that stuff from yesterday. I hope the Texans find the Michael Thomas 2nd round WR who gets 'it"right away, but the realistic part of me says that if a WR is taken he is going to 50/50 being any good in the short term at best and cynical part says the Texans are going pull another what the heck (nice word) in or before the draft.

Well there has been another WR trade now