Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Sign Jay Ajayi, Maybe!

frethack

Rookie
Al Michaels just said on the Monday Night Game that the Texans have signed Jay Ajayi! Don't have anything else that backs that up yet. If true that should help out the RB situation. Now they just need to shore up the O-line!
McClain reporting that Ajayi has not been signed...which means we just gave Ajayi 10 years and 500 mil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Kinda funny way things work out. Miller signed away from Miami to make room for Ajayi. Now he comes here to replace Miller after injury.

We’ll see how he looks coming back from ACL. When right he was explosive. This offensive line may not help matters regardless of who’s toting the rock so why invest heavily in a RB right now?

Legarret Blunt is a guy who I would have kicked the tires on too.

texanhead08

All Pro
I don't like this a RB with an acl and back surgery in his injury history.

That being said he sounds like the perfect Texan just based on that

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Here's the clip of Al Michaels spilling the beans.

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1165806238795489283

Starr sees it like we do. Michaels isn't going to say it on the air unless he heard it from a credible source.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat
Also, I find it hard that Al would get that information from thin air.
Also a quick lol

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat
Al Michaels trying to get me to delete my entire article.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I haven't heard any confirmation on signing Ajayi but I don't see the down side with doing so. He has been medically cleared from his ACL injury and he is a free agent we could sign for cheap.

Tell me the down side.

Mangler

Toro de España
I haven't heard any confirmation on signing Ajayi but I don't see the down side with doing so. He has been medically cleared from his ACL injury and he is a free agent we could sign for cheap.

Tell me the down side.
There is none. He doesn't, and probably won't have to do much with Duke being RB1. Jay will have time to practice and learn the playbook, while gaining more confidence in his knee.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
There is none. He doesn't, and probably won't have to do much with Duke being RB1. Jay will have time to practice and learn the playbook, while gaining more confidence in his knee.
I agree. I don't understand why we don't at least bring him in for a look. But then again, I don't understand a lot of what this organization does.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I asked Doc about Ajayi a while back and his prognosis wasnt positive.

Ajayi does a lot of interviews for skysports as he's British and comes across as a great guy so i hope it works out.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
the camp cuts are coming soon. theres always a few casualties that surprise people, so Im hoping the Texans are ready to pounce. So far RB/OL/DL/STs/ could all use a talent influx. Yet the reports are that OBrien and Co. are looking for more WR help!! LOL

Ajayi is just the best name left over. Collins broke his leg a little while ago, BeastMode? He's probably smoking weed somewhere. TJ Yeldon? We have his clone in Duke. So its really either take a flyer on Ajayi, get old school Blount in here or just wait to see what happens in a week or two.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I just found a very useful site for injury history: The Sports Injury Predictor. I wouldn't rely on it for prediction though, as it seems more optimistic than CND typically was.

Here's Ajayi's history.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/jay-ajayi/7282

Date League Injury Details
Oct 7, 2018 NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Ajayi tore his left ACL in Week 5 and missed the rest of the season.
Sep 16, 2018 NFL Back Vertebral Fracture Ajayi suffered a small fracture in his back in Week 2 and missed the following game.
Jul 31, 2017 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Ajayi suffered a concussion in training camp.
Dec 24, 2016 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Ajayi hurt his shoulder during a 32-carry effort in Week 16.
Sep 3, 2015 NFL Chest Rib Fracture Ajayi fractured a rib in the final preseason game and was placed on IR-designated to return.
Aug 11, 2015 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Ajayi's injury occurred in training camp.
Aug 11, 2011 Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Ajayi sustained a torn ACL as a true freshman at Boise State.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Y'all have to remember it's not just about running. Pass protection is absolutely required. That's why O'Brien would seek a veteran for the role.

And I don't understand the knock on Ajayi. When he's healthy he's solid.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Y'all have to remember it's not just about running. Pass protection is absolutely required. That's why O'Brien would seek a veteran for the role.

And I don't understand the knock on Ajayi. When he's healthy he's solid.
Think its the "When he's healthy.." part but honestly I'm starting question how much that should be factored in these days. With College football being so intense now players are coming in with major injuries before they are even drafted. Some injuries stand out more than others but you just aren't going to find any players without an injury history if they have played enough to even say they've played.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Texans use up valuable draft picks on injured players from college, we shouldn't be surprised when they sign injured free agents.
But right now, this hasn't happened right? Ajayi is not a Texans, right?

eriadoc

Texan-American
I see a low risk opportunity. Ajayi is 26 years old and has shown the ability to be a near elite back. It's been 10.5 months since he sustained the injury, so there's no way he's 100%, but if he's willing to sign a team friendly deal, he could be put on the PUP or even IR-to-return. He could come in halfway through the season and be the second half of the tandem with Duke Johnson. If Higdon, Crockett, or Howell (or whoever) emerges before then, the timetable gets even more relaxed.

That said, if there are any medical issues that look like he won't make it back to his former ability, then you can't do that deal.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Tell me the down side.
I just found a very useful site for injury history: The Sports Injury Predictor. I wouldn't rely on it for prediction though, as it seems more optimistic than CND typically was.

Here's Ajayi's history.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/jay-ajayi/7282

Date League Injury Details
Oct 7, 2018 NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Ajayi tore his left ACL in Week 5 and missed the rest of the season.
Sep 16, 2018 NFL Back Vertebral Fracture Ajayi suffered a small fracture in his back in Week 2 and missed the following game.
Jul 31, 2017 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Ajayi suffered a concussion in training camp.
Dec 24, 2016 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Ajayi hurt his shoulder during a 32-carry effort in Week 16.
Sep 3, 2015 NFL Chest Rib Fracture Ajayi fractured a rib in the final preseason game and was placed on IR-designated to return.
Aug 11, 2015 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Ajayi's injury occurred in training camp.
Aug 11, 2011 Non-NFL Knee ACL Tear Grade 3 Ajayi sustained a torn ACL as a true freshman at Boise State.
Dude's an injury machine. Plus doesn't he have a bone on bone issue going on somewhere? Thought I heard someone talking about that today.

Mangler

Toro de España
Well, it looks like Jay probably won’t be signed. Professor Ass Jaw just said he likes the backfield as is, and feels Duke will suffice in Lamar Miller’s absence. I guess the only question I have is: Who the hell is RB2? I haven’t really seen any of the rookies separate themselves from 3rd string.

Oh, I almost forgot. My source is The Bleacher Report.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I wouldn't be surprised if RB2 is Taiwan Jones because he can pass protect. I know, crazy, but he got a lot of reps in preseason.

Mangler

Toro de España
Yup, that must be that then. Surely OB, or any coach, would divulge his plans entirely and succinctly to the media just like that.
You’re absolutely right. I wouldn’t expect him or any coach for that matter to show their hand. I just wonder what the big freakin mystery is?! Just announce the dang signing and go about business. It’s not like they’re signing some big time name RB anyway! I wasn’t trying to come off like taking O’Brien’s media release as bible, was just merely sharing what he said.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
You’re absolutely right. I wouldn’t expect him or any coach for that matter to show their hand. I just wonder what the big freakin mystery is?! Just announce the dang signing and go about business. It’s not like they’re signing some big time name RB anyway! I wasn’t trying to come off like taking O’Brien’s media release as bible, was just merely sharing what he said.
Because he's not signed as of yet?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Well, yeah but the announcer made the breaking news last night saying they signed him after Miller’s injury. Either way, nothing to celebrate.
I know the announcer made the statement last night. Not necessarily news though to be fair, just a statement, a claim. And so does a head coach have an obligation to meet every wayward claim by any and everyone seen on tv or radio?

gafftop

All Pro
Give me QUALITY offensive lineman and guess what............ the RBs get magically better. Let's start there!!!!!
Please don't give me a RB coming off an injury or a great has been. Every year RBs come out of nowhere but how many of those are running behind a good offensive line.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Give me QUALITY offensive lineman and guess what............ the RBs get magically better. Let's start there!!!!!
Please don't give me a RB coming off an injury or a great has been. Every year RBs come out of nowhere but how many of those are running behind a good offensive line.
A good OL will make a RB better. Texans OL has been on top of the needed list.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Please don't give me a RB coming off an injury...
To paraphrase the late, great Bum Phillips, there are two kinds of football players. Dem that's been injured. And dem that's gonna be injured.

There is not a RB on the market that's never been injured. That guy doesn't exist. Is the guy compromised due to a current or past injury? Can he play now? They're only signing the guy for one season. If he can play today, sign him. No one knows what tomorrow will be. Ask Lamar Miller.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I don't understand the rush some here have in signing a guy not currently in anyone's TC when final cuts from the NFL will most likely yield a better player for us to quickly scoop up.
Remind me where the Texans are positioned on the waiver wire?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The same position where they drafted. #23. 22 teams would have a chance to take the RB cut that is better than Jay Ajayi.
So you don't think that we'd be able to find someone that's been in a TC, in shape & ready to go over a guy who we don't even know where he's at physically? I'm just saying, Jay Ajayi is likely still to be there after the final cuts. no need to rush to pick this guy up off the scrap heap, when "better" trash is going to be dropped soon Lol.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
So you don't think that we'd be able to find someone that's been in a TC, in shape & ready to go over a guy who we don't even know where he's at physically?
??? Doug Martin has already been released. Is he better than Jay Ajayi? There's a lot of noise that Carlos Hyde won't make KC's roster. Is he better than Jay Ajayi? I don't know. I know Ajayi's available. now. Versus the RB in the bush that's pretty close in caliber to Ajayi.

Maybe Trader Bill is cooking up something that will put a power RB on the plate? Maybe he's waiting to see if Alfred Blue is cut? In the meantime, get a vet RB that has carried the load a few times. Act like a boy scout. Be prepared.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Only Players with less than 4 years of service time are waived and are subject to waivers.

If any of these guys are Cut we should have a shot at them.
• Washington CB Josh Norman

Salary cap space created with cut: $11.3 million

Dead money implications: $3 million

Analysis: His lucrative contract runs through 2020, but Washington might be ready to part ways with him now. Washington would have to take on a $3 million dead money cap hit in 2019 and 2020, but would also save a significant amount against the cap both years. Norman would have a $14.3 million cap hit if he sticks in 2019. Remember, teams can roll over cap space from 2019 to 2020. That might be a good move for Washington, as it rebuilds.

• Jaguars CB A.J. Bouye

Salary cap space created with cut: $13.406 million

Dead money implications: $2 million

Analysis: His contract runs through 2021, and cutting him now would result in the Jaguars taking on a $2 million dead money hit in each of the next three years. But that might be preferable for them to his massive cap hit in 2019 — $15.406 million.

• Bills RB LeSean McCoy

Salary cap space created with cut: $6.425 million

Dead money implications: $2.625 million

Analysis: How many aging running backs do the Bills need? They already have Frank Gore. The Bills drafting Devin Singletary in Round 3 makes McCoy somewhat expendable. McCoy is entering the final year of his contract, and would have a $9.05 million cap hit if he sticks. That’s awfully high for a replaceable player at this stage of his career.