Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Secondary 2023

Hopefully none if it allows Caserio to move up from the top of the 4th into the middle of the 3rd. I'm all for taking the Texans 4th and a couple of those 6ths to move up 10 spots or so into the 3rd and taking the Texans 5th plus a 6th to move back into the 3rd.

Or Cooks and a 6th for a 3rd.

Quality over quantity.
Move up and draft who? It all depends on who's on the board and who the Texans want.

I agree. The Texans effing blew it last year at 1.3. The Jets drafted the guy the Texans should've taken and ended up getting the DROY while the Texans got a perennial IR candidate.
It would be interesting to know if Carstereo wanted Gardner but allowed Smith to have his guy.
Hopefully this year with two firsts, we get two bona fide starters - that will make a difference for this team.
Add in #33, another high pick and this teams' fortunes should turn around.

Last edited:
Move up and draft who? It all depends on who's on the board and who the Texans want.
Agreed

Say they draft Musgrave at 2-32 and Schmitz is sitting there at 2-40, I'm not against trading 3-64, 4,103 and a 6th to go get him, because I see Schmitz as a 10 ye starter.

Then say Spearssis there in the middle of the 4th I would trade the 5th and a 6th to move up and get him because I think he can develop into a quality starter.

You'got 3 less picks but you get 2 high quality players. I know this is how Caserio looked at last years draft when he traded up for Metchie and Harris. I hope this trend continues. Tex doesn't, he wants as many late rd picks as possible.

Agreed

Say they draft Musgrave at 2-32 and Schmitz is sitting there at 2-40, I'm not against trading 3-64, 4,103 and a 6th to go get him, because I see Schmitz as a 10 ye starter.

Then say Spearssis there in the middle of the 4th I would trade the 5th and a 6th to move up and get him because I think he can develop into a quality starter.

You'got 3 less picks but you get 2 high quality players. I know this is how Caserio looked at last years draft when he traded up for Metchie and Harris. I hope this trend continues. Tex doesn't, he wants as many late rd picks as possible.
Agreed.
If an affordable move up can get you a guy at a pon that you had ranked highly on your board, why wouldn't you?
Settling for a jag is not smart.

Agreed

Wypler is also projected for the second round. Early on I wasn't interested because of his lite weight, but with the hiring of DeMeco and the likelihood of moving toward zone blocking, I'm now more interested. He seems to have the skills to excel in the ZBS and could likely carry a few more pounds if necessary. He grades out not much behind Schmitz in running blocking and may grade out higher in pass blocking.

Wypler is also projected for the second round. Early on I wasn't interested because of his lite weight, but with the hiring of DeMeco and the likelihood of moving toward zone blocking, I'm now more interested. He seems to have the skills to excel in the ZBS and could likely carry a few more pounds if necessary. He grades out not much behind Schmitz in running blocking and may grade out higher in pass blocking.
I like him a lot too.

Needs to get stronger to hold up to NFL NT's better. But a very good player. I've got him at the top of the 3rd.

I would prefer Schmidt, but Wypler also has great appeal. I don't see his weight being a problem - 300 is about right for a center.
Jason Kelce is 282.

Very excited about this unit. They’ve got quality starters and depth across the board. This is a deep unit that rivals any team’s in the league. A strength of the team. I think Ward’s tackling ability will rub off on Pitre in a positive way and upgrade the unit as a whole. Really hope Stingley stays healthy and we see that potential:

CB1 Stingley
CB2 Nelson
Slot Thomas/King
FS Pitre
SS Ward

Depth:

S Stewart/Murray
CB Griffin

Very excited about this unit. They’ve got quality starters and depth across the board. This is a deep unit that rivals any team’s in the league. A strength of the team. I think Ward’s tackling ability will rub off on Pitre in a positive way and upgrade the unit as a whole. Really hope Stingley stays healthy and we see that potential:

CB1 Stingley
CB2 Nelson
Slot Thomas/King
FS Pitre
SS Ward

Depth:

S Stewart/Murray
CB Griffin
Adding a quality leader to a group lifts the whole unit. Look what JJ did for the DLine and ultimately the D.
Now if Anderson and Ward can be true impact players, this D will be greatly improved.

Prior to game 1, I still feel bullish about this group.

Surprised King was cut but I trust DeMeco and Undlin have a plan on the back end. 11 players in the secondary currently.

Team opted for longer DBs for the back end depth in the secondary with Ka’darr Hollman and Alex Austin. Austin in particular intrigues me because the team put in a waiver claim for him. You’d think the team sees some potential quality depth on a rookie contract with him, especially considering Nelson likely walks after this season and CB2 will need to be addressed if him or Griffin aren’t retained.

Grayland Arnold beating out Brandon Hill wasn’t necessarily a surprise. Arnold has been in the league for a few years now developing on practice squads. I expect that we’ll get to see him this season on special teams and maybe if Ward missed extended time.

Hate missing Ward week 1. Stewart/Murray are solid depth but i’m concerned the team will really be missing his experience and communication with all the new pieces playing regular season action together for the first time.

Prior to game 1, I still feel bullish about this group.

Surprised King was cut but I trust DeMeco and Undlin have a plan on the back end. 11 players in the secondary currently.

Team opted for longer DBs for the back end depth in the secondary with Ka’darr Hollman and Alex Austin. Austin in particular intrigues me because the team put in a waiver claim for him. You’d think the team sees some potential quality depth on a rookie contract with him, especially considering Nelson likely walks after this season and CB2 will need to be addressed if him or Griffin aren’t retained.

Grayland Arnold beating out Brandon Hill wasn’t necessarily a surprise. Arnold has been in the league for a few years now developing on practice squads. I expect that we’ll get to see him this season on special teams and maybe if Ward missed extended time.

Hate missing Ward week 1. Stewart/Murray are solid depth but i’m concerned the team will really be missing his experience and communication with all the new pieces playing regular season action together for the first time.
Thomas is a top notch nickel. Nelson is solid and Stingley if healthy can be very good.

Ward is the leader of the secondary. He helps get everybody aligned. They're going to really miss him

Stewart is a veteran that I expect to play solidly. Petrie is a star in the making. Arnold has really improved and is a solid ST's guy. I look for Arnold to get more time at safety. If I never see Murray in a Texans uniform again, it will be a great day.

Stewart and Murray played OK in the preseason. But their track record in the regular season is not great. Stewart has allowed 72% completions over his career and Murray 69%. Neither saw many snaps on defense last season. I had hoped that Caserio would have addressed the safety depth with more proven players.

Stewart and Murray played OK in the preseason. But their track record in the regular season is not great. Stewart has allowed 72% completions over his career and Murray 69%. Neither saw many snaps on defense last season. I had hoped that Caserio would have addressed the safety depth with more proven players.
Only so many picks to go around.

Ryans chose Ward in FA as his fa safety acquisition. A good choice IMHO, might take 3-4 weeks to get him healthy.

It took 12 games but we finally got to see what this secondary looks like fully healthy.

CB Stingley
CB Nelson
FS Ward
SS Pitre
NB King

Add in Tavierre Thomas and now Adrian Amos as depth. If this group can STAY HEALTHY I expect we’ll be very happy with the results.

With the schedule, I don’t expect them to be tested until the Colts to end the season… then hopefully the playoffs ;)

It took 12 games but we finally got to see what this secondary looks like fully healthy.

CB Stingley
CB Nelson
FS Ward
SS Pitre
NB King

Add in Tavierre Thomas and now Adrian Amos as depth. If this group can STAY HEALTHY I expect we’ll be very happy with the results.

With the schedule, I don’t expect them to be tested until the Colts to end the season… then hopefully the playoffs ;)
Yep, and Ryans/ Caserio should draft a developmental CB/safety and add another cheap Griffin/Amos type guy in FA.

If they can stay healthy this is a very good DB group for the playoffs.

Back