Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans RBs.... Burkhead, Pierce, Ogunbowale

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Decided we needed a place to post our disappointment with Marlon Mack... surprises & good stuff too, if there are any.

I'd rather the Texans focus on the only RB they've invested a draft pick on since 2017... but we know they won't.

So anything you can find on the WWW concerning Texans RBs, or any discussion you'd like to have on this position, post it here.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Mack

His career took a turn after his sole 1,000-year rushing season, starting just one game in 2020 before tearing his Achilles. And while he came back healthy in 2021, he tumbled down the depth chart, making just six appearances before being left inactive from Weeks 9-18, primarily as a healthy scratch.
1656286800840.png

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Returning as Houston's rushing leader

& you know what they say, "If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man." At 32 years old, I can't imagine Burkhead is going to do a whole lot to "defend" his title. His roster spot is secure. His contract signed. All he's got to do is collect his paycheck.

But he's a warrior.. he plays the long game. He'll be the last man standing... but hopefully we won't get to that.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Dare Ogunbowale

1656287008734.png

Jacksonville's media doesn't seem to be shedding any tears, they seem to be happy speculating the production of one RB coming off Lisfranc surgery & another coming off an Achilles.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Dameon

Caserio's post-draft press conference cited Pierce as someone that needs to earn a role and be a factor on special teams. So pump the brakes on Pierce RB1 szn ever so slightly.

The fact Pierce never fully took over Florida's backfield does raise red flags. His 12% career dominator rating is eerily similar to Trey Sermon (12%) from last season, and Sermon struggled to separate himself from the pack in his rookie campaign.
1656287522767.png

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Royce Freeman

1656287620669.png

He was on the roster last season. You don't know anything about him. Nuff said

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Returning as Houston's rushing leader

& you know what they say, "If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man." At 32 years old, I can't imagine Burkhead is going to do a whole lot to "defend" his title. His roster spot is secure. His contract signed. All he's got to do is collect his paycheck.

But he's a warrior.. he plays the long game. He'll be the last man standing... but hopefully we won't get to that.
I am hoping that Burkhead doesn't tap out or get Tapped Out.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I believe Mack will have a bounce back year. The key factor will be the offensive line. Did that unit improved or not? If they improved then those RB’s will have a major impact on the teams success.
Pierce will be the 2nd string back IMO and Burkhead will play the same role he played in New England.
The reason Mack was inactive last season was because he’s a non-factor on special teams. Ogunbowale and Burkhead are able to contribute in that area. And Pierce fills basically the same role as Mack.

I would not be surprised if Mack is cut in camp if he cannot separate himself from Pierce and Royce Freeman to command a role on offense. If he’s not the starter then he’s a likely inactive for a RB who plays special teams.

Boris

All Pro

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
D'Onta Foreman looked pretty sharp last year
I really didn't follow him. I know he only played in 9 games. Why was that?

I know two of those games were against the Texans. One was against the Steelers. The 30th & 31st ranked rushing defense. So....

Boris

All Pro
I really didn't follow him. I know he only played in 9 games. Why was that?

I know two of those games were against the Texans. One was against the Steelers. The 30th & 31st ranked rushing defense. So....
fair
i think they signed him after Henry's injury
though i remember thinking during their playoff loss that he looked more effective than the returning (still not 100%) DerrickHenry22

badboy

Hall of Fame
I believe Mack will have a bounce back year. The key factor will be the offensive line. Did that unit improved or not? If they improved then those RB’s will have a major impact on the teams success.
Pierce will be the 2nd string back IMO and Burkhead will play the same role he played in New England.
Why do you think Mac will have a bounce back year? Is your little toe is itching? If it's all about the offensive line let's just cut Mack and Burkhead and go with the cheapest back we can get. Sorry just not so excited about any but Dameon.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Why do you think Mac will have a bounce back year? Is your little toe is itching? If it's all about the offensive line let's just cut Mack and Burkhead and go with the cheapest back we can get. Sorry just not so excited about any but Dameon.
It’s just a prediction. AP had a major injury and he bounced back and a rushing title followed. Disclaimer: I’m not saying he’s AP either. Just saying there’s a lot of successful stories out there.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Still doesn’t take away from my point. You’re focusing on the wrong thing. Again there are plenty of success stories out there.
I would love for you to be right, but there are many post ACL success stories out there, but not so much for RB's with achilles injuries. And AP was considered a fluke story mostly, even for a HOF RB. Improvements in medicine are growing with leaps and bounds, but that hasn't been seen yet with RB's with achilles ruptures

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
For me, the other guys are just guys and any could be at risk of being cut. Pierce is the only one that has plus upside for me. Hopefully he sees the field and pops a bit this year.
I hope next year the team drafts a stud RB to compliment Pierce. Giving the team a dynamic rushing duo on their rookie contracts for the smash mouth run-first offense the team is building.

The Colts tried to do that by drafting Johnathan Taylor the offseason after Mack had just rushed for 1000 yards behind their stellar OL. Mack got injured early but Taylor became a top 5 RB in the league so they weren’t hurt by Mack’s injury.

But its a nice idea to have two RBs you can count on to be feature backs on their rookie contracts.

Porky

Hall of Fame
First, I think the line will be slightly better overall in the run game, especially with our vaunted LG that was drafted. I still think our LT is poor at run blocking and he's a lazy pot smoker that is probably more interested in a bag of Doritos and some taco bell than kicking ass. I'm just hoping his mate next door rubs off on him. The other guys are "meh" run blockers. One very good run blocker and a bunch of "meh" guys does not bode well for a kick butt run game.

Second, the RB room seems very marginally better. I still see this as a well below average group overall and that's if Mack is even semi-healthy.

3rd - the play caller/run game designer has to be better because it can't be any worse.

I see the run game moving from an F to a D+ or C-. Fair, a little below average, decent, ok, underwhelming, plodding, boring are words that come to mind. When you're worst in the league if you move into the general lower middle, that's decent progress for one year. Then in 2023, get your young home run hitter, and some additional accessory pieces and you may be cooking with butane.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
First, I think the line will be slightly better overall in the run game, especially with our vaunted LG that was drafted. I still think our LT is poor at run blocking and he's a lazy pot smoker that is probably more interested in a bag of Doritos and some taco bell than kicking ass. I'm just hoping his mate next door rubs off on him. The other guys are "meh" run blockers. One very good run blocker and a bunch of "meh" guys does not bode well for a kick butt run game.

Second, the RB room seems very marginally better. I still see this as a well below average group overall and that's if Mack is even semi-healthy.

3rd - the play caller/run game designer has to be better because it can't be any worse.

I see the run game moving from an F to a D+ or C-. Fair, a little below average, decent, ok, underwhelming, plodding, boring are words that come to mind. When you're worst in the league if you move into the general lower middle, that's decent progress for one year. Then in 2023, get your young home run hitter, and some additional accessory pieces and you may be cooking with butane.
What do you have against pot smokers?

What makes you think a 2 time pro bowl player is lazy?

I think Peirce will be getting most of the snaps and be a huge upgrade over the rbs they had last year. He will solve the gl/short yardage issues.

BTW, Cann was also a good run blocker before injury, you don't think he's an upgrade over Scharping?

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The offense should work a bit better this season for no other reason that a lot of the players will be starting their 2nd year together. Especially that guy at the QB position. How much better? Well, it's the Texans. :lol:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

I think Peirce will be getting most of the snaps and be a huge upgrade over the rbs they had last year. He will solve the gl/short yardage issues.

BTW, Cann was also a good run blocker before injury, you don't think he's an upgrade over Scharping?
Cann is absolutely an upgrade over Scharping. Scharping was drafted 55 overall the year he came out while Cann was drafted 67 overall but that is the only advantage Scharping had…

Cann has been a starting guard his whole career going back to college where he was second team all american and first team all SEC his final year at South Carolina. He started all but one game of his college career and was a team captain.

Since being drafted he has started all but one game at right guard in his pro career helping pave the way for 1000 yard rushers Leonard Fournette and James Robinson. Run blocking has been about the only bright spot on the Jags going back to when Cann was drafted aside from their AFC title game appearance.

Scharping was a 3x 1st team all MAC at Northern Illinois playing offensive tackle and dipping his toes in at guard occasionally. Then was drafted to play a position he barely played and lost his job last season when the regime that drafted him had been removed.

Porky

Hall of Fame

someone who is a serious pot smoker by definition is a lazy, unmotivated, non-serious human being. I can’t take chronic potheads seriously. I wouldn’t hire Cheech and Chong to build an addition to my house even if they had a background in construction. Would you?

And yes I think he is a lazy bum. He would rather get into his bong instead of his playbook, would rather munch on crunchy Cheetos then crunch Dlineman in the run game. He got into the pro bowl not on merit but reputation. He is a good, not great pass blocker and a poor run blocker who apparently thinks he’s plenty good enough and thinks he can survive on elite athleticism, so doesn’t bother to show up while his teammates are busting tail in 100 degree heat.

that’s the opposite of a leader. He isn’t even a follower. He is a lump. A big fat lazy lump who is robbing the team of whatever they are paying him and is dragging down his teammates and anathema to a winning culture. I want to think Pep can light a fire under his ass, but based on early results I am probably better served buying stock in lays snacks.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
someone who is a serious pot smoker by definition is a lazy, unmotivated, non-serious human being. I can’t take chronic potheads seriously. I wouldn’t hire Cheech and Chong to build an addition to my house even if they had a background in construction. Would you?

And yes I think he is a lazy bum. He would rather get into his bong instead of his playbook, would rather munch on crunchy Cheetos then crunch Dlineman in the run game. He got into the pro bowl not on merit but reputation. He is a good, not great pass blocker and a poor run blocker who apparently thinks he’s plenty good enough and thinks he can survive on elite athleticism, so doesn’t bother to show up while his teammates are busting tail in 100 degree heat.

that’s the opposite of a leader. He isn’t even a follower. He is a lump. A big fat lazy lump who is robbing the team of whatever they are paying him and is dragging down his teammates and anathema to a winning culture. I want to think Pep can light a fire under his ass, but based on early results I am probably better served buying stock in lays snacks.
How did he make his 1st pro bowl on reputation.

What makes you think Tunsil is a serious pot smoker? I saw the gas mask video, but I'm not aware of any Josh Gordon issues since Tunsil has been in the NFL.

And no, players you describe aren't usually multiple time pro bowl players.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
What I know first hand, when I was employed at a major international engineering company, back in the 70's in Houston, I had a coworker who was a top ranked designer, if not the top ranked designer in his department. At lunch he would go into the stair well and smoke a joint. Whether he smoked at other times I can't say, but likely. This company was extremely strict about employee performance, with quarterly reviews, but this was before drug testing. As I said, he was top tier. He bought his weed by the pound and kept it in a big salad bowl on his living room coffee table.

I've always believed if you could excel in your performance, what does it matter if you are high.

badboy

Hall of Fame

You're very first sentence shows that you are a very uneducated concerning smoking marijuana. I know several people that smoke daily and are just the opposite of lazy with two working two jobs. Many very successful work driven people use marijuana simply to relax and unwind. Sure there are some potheads who are lazy but that does not define most let alone all. I think you may have misspoke or just speaking out of personal opinion rather than facts.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Personally, I don't smoke pot (or tobacco), drink alcohol, or do recreational drugs. But. I know several people who are successful and highly motivated who smoke pot, and not just artists, but people in business.

With that said, I also know pot smokers who never really did anything with their lives.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Guess our RB situation is pot poor, so we just talk about the pot.

Here is what drives me nuts - Drafting

The 2nd rd. window to address a feature back, sitting pretty #37 Breece Hall sitting there #36 then up come the Jets to take him off the board. Not complaining about Pitre #37 either as consolation prize, actually grade him higher with higher position value.

But it's ok right? There is another bell cow back in the draft, more dynamic with higher YAC in Kenneth Walker. If the Texans had sought Hall, wouldn't Caserio/Lovie surely try and secure him? Well four picks later #41 the Seahawks take Walker, now with both bell cows gone the Texans trade up for WR John Metchie, John Freaking I tore my ACL Metchie #44.

Now we have to live with 4th rd. RB who's flashed but drafted on potential, not production and a CB #3 overall who has yet to return to his freshmen form of 2019. Hoping Stingley health can improve and become an everyday starter but folks these are two unnecessary risks that could easily been avoided. Green and Pitre are homerun selections, but Caserio had positioning to do much better with how the board fell.

To sum up the Texans RB depth chart is chalk full of question marks and unknowns once again. I still don't think Caserio is the end all be all talent evaluator, he is a good manager and did fantastic handling DW and getting something for nothing but collaboration with scouting and coaching staffs still not in synch. RB position is just the latest example.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The entire team is full of question marks. They had so many holes to fill, we knew they wasn’t going to fill them all with one draft. If the Texans meet most of our predictions and the Browns have a losing season. We will then have two draft picks in the top 15. That’s when we will be able to get our bell cow RB.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The entire team is full of question marks. They had so many holes to fill, we knew they wasn’t going to fill them all with one draft. If the Texans meet most of our predictions and the Browns have a losing season. We will then have two draft picks in the top 15. That’s when we will be able to get our bell cow RB.
Bijan Robinson, Texas is widely considered the top RB in 2023. Would you spend too 15 pick on him?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

The 2nd rd. window to address a feature back, sitting pretty #37 Breece Hall sitting there #36 then up come the Jets to take him off the board. Not complaining about Pitre #37 either as consolation prize, actually grade him higher with higher position value.

But it's ok right? There is another bell cow back in the draft, more dynamic with higher YAC in Kenneth Walker. If the Texans had sought Hall, wouldn't Caserio/Lovie surely try and secure him? Well four picks later #41 the Seahawks take Walker, now with both bell cows gone the Texans trade up for WR John Metchie, John Freaking I tore my ACL Metchie #44.

Now we have to live with 4th rd. RB who's flashed but drafted on potential, not production and a CB #3 overall who has yet to return to his freshmen form of 2019. Hoping Stingley health can improve and become an everyday starter but folks these are two unnecessary risks that could easily been avoided. Green and Pitre are homerun selections, but Caserio had positioning to do much better with how the board fell.

To sum up the Texans RB depth chart is chalk full of question marks and unknowns once again. I still don't think Caserio is the end all be all talent evaluator, he is a good manager and did fantastic handling DW and getting something for nothing but collaboration with scouting and coaching staffs still not in synch. RB position is just the latest example.
Agreed about taking unecessary risks. I wanted Sauce over Stingley, but that's not what Lovie wanted.

Metchie is a risk and I wouldn't have traded up for him. If healthy he's going to be the best slot WR this team has had since their inception. Which speaks more to how bad the quality of slot WR position has been.

I don't have a problem with passing on a RB early this yr. Of course I really want Caserio to draft Bijan or Charbonnet next year. I think they are better than any RB in this class and Pierce will be a great guy to pair with either one of these guys.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

I think it comes down to positional value. As you said Pitre higher positional value. Given that the Texans traded up for slot WR shortly after selecting Pitre that tells me Walker/Hall were lower on their board and/or lower positional value.

Or they may have had them rated closer to Pierce who they took where they perceived good value.

For the record, I hope they go RB early next year to have a young talented RB duo for the offense to run through with rookie and Pierce.

Metchie imo was worst pick in the draft due to recovering from acl and trading up to get him. I hope he proves worthy of the slot but it was a risk they didn’t need to take if they were more patient and let the board fall naturally. Plus I would have rather had Tre Mcbride in that slot for the trade up. I value TE higher than slot WR and think Mcbride would have a bigger impact on this team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think it comes down to positional value. As you said Pitre higher positional value. Given that the Texans traded up for slot WR shortly after selecting Pitre that tells me Walker/Hall were lower on their board and/or lower positional value.

Or they may have had them rated closer to Pierce who they took where they perceived good value.

For the record, I hope they go RB early next year to have a young talented RB duo for the offense to run through with rookie and Pierce.

Metchie imo was worst pick in the draft due to recovering from acl and trading up to get him. I hope he proves worthy of the slot but it was a risk they didn’t need to take if they were more patient and let the board fall naturally. Plus I would have rather had Tre Mcbride in that slot for the trade up. I value TE higher than slot WR and think Mcbride would have a bigger impact on this team.
Agreed, on RB positional value vs S positional value. Same goes with TE vs Slot WR.

However, I didn't like this yrs TE class and next yrs TE class is so much better than this yrs class. Plus it's not like the offense didn't need a major upgrade at Slot WR. If Metchie was healthy I would be all on board with the pick and trading up to get him, because I think he's that good. However I agree with BL in that trading up for a wr that's coming off of an ACL is an unecessary risk. I guess drafting Metchie at 44 is less risky than picking Williams at 12.

Porky

Hall of Fame
In today's game, you need a frontal lobotomy if you draft a RB in round 1. That's the definition of NFL insanity. Only possible exception is I have a SB team everywhere and looking at one last piece to put me over the top. Otherwise, it's just complete and utter insanity to draft a RB that high given today's game. This isn't 1978 and the Tyler Rose is coming out. MUCH different game, and not only that but RB's have short shelf life's 90% of the time.