Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans RBs.... Burkhead, Pierce, Ogunbowale

It hasn't been for the last 4yrs.

Hey, maybe he will live up to his potential and play great during his walk yr. It's happened with other players quite often. If it does, do you re-sign him to a big contract? I'm on the fence, I dont like guys that only play well during contract yrs.
You were high on him when he was first drafted... not as a first round pick but you did think he would be very good as a 2nd pick. iirc, you wanted Dillard, so there's that

I see your point of view but I would feel a lot stronger about your position if they didn’t keep moving him around. You may not value that but I think it may have a considerable impact on his ability to be a above average player.

Very true statement, maybe a key one at that. While OL doesn't seem to be rocket science, it's not just a big guy and you need 5. You have to know how to play each position. And all 5 a different. So moving him around is a detrimental situation for a player.

You were high on him when he was first drafted... not as a first round pick but you did think he would be very good as a 2nd pick. iirc, you wanted Dillard, so there's that
True

Sometimes you miss.

The key is admitting it's not going to work out and move on as quickly as possible.

I totally agree with your philosophy. Fix the trenches 1st,I've been preaching this for yrs. The TE position is part of the trenches. Cann isa serviceable RG who I expect to be playing down on Kirby for awhile. Gonna have to find a RT though.
You and I disagree on Cann (and Howard). I think Cann is on the downside of his career. I would like to be mistaken, but I think he only has maybe this year or the next left before he has to be replaced. Who do you replace him with? Scharping? I hope not.

You and I disagree on Cann (and Howard). I think Cann is on the downside of his career. I would like to be mistaken, but I think he only has maybe this year or the next left before he has to be replaced. Who do you replace him with? Scharping? I hope not.

Tell me who's in FA next offseason.

Also you dont have to draft a RG in the 1st rd.

What has Howard done to make you high on him? It's certainly not his play on the field when he's been healthy. He's been avg at best. IMHO

Tell me who's in FA next offseason.

Also you dont have to draft a RG in the 1st rd.

What has Howard done to make you high on him? It's certainly not his play on the field when he's been healthy. He's been avg at best. IMHO
It's not next offseason. When next off-season rolls around, you will see what FA's are available.

I would rather draft a RG in the 1st round over a RB in the 1st round. RG's tend to last more than twice as long in the NFL as RB's.

When playing OT, Howard has been pretty good. He's not a Guard, but still was one of our best Guards last year, but that's not saying much.

Now, a question for you...What has Heck or Deculus done to make you think they would even come close to being as good as Howard?

True

Sometimes you miss.

The key is admitting it's not going to work out and move on as quickly as possible.
Like on Brooks and Ben Jones huh? Why don't we wait and see if the coaching staff can actually coach up oline. The scheme has to coordinate with players ability also. He played well as a rookie, then they started moving him around. Who can play well with that indecisiveness?

It's not next offseason. When next off-season rolls around, you will see what FA's are available.

I would rather draft a RG in the 1st round over a RB in the 1st round. RG's tend to last more than twice as long in the NFL as RB's.

When playing OT, Howard has been pretty good. He's not a Guard, but still was one of our best Guards last year, but that's not saying much.

Now, a question for you...What has Heck or Deculus done to make you think they would even come close to being as good as Howard?
Like I said I generally agree with you and wouldn't have a problem with drafting an ot or og in the 1st. In fact I was on board with the Howard/Green picks and won't have a problem with it if Caserio decides to go this direction. With this said, Bijan is special.

You asked what Heck or Deculus have done to give me faith that they're the answer? I will ask you what has Howard done to justify your faith in him? A couple of good games in 4 yrs?

Like on Brooks and Ben Jones huh? Why don't we wait and see if the coaching staff can actually coach up oline. The scheme has to coordinate with players ability also. He played well as a rookie, then they started moving him around. Who can play well with that indecisiveness?
Agreed and I hope he improves because he's got a lot of improving to do. He played well as a rookie for how many games? Hope I'm wrong. He's not a terrible player, he's just very replaceable, particularly at the money he will get if he plays well this season.

Like I said I generally agree with you and wouldn't have a problem with drafting an ot or og in the 1st. In fact I was on board with the Howard/Green picks and won't have a problem with it if Caserio decides to go this direction. With this said, Bijan is special.

You asked what Heck or Deculus have done to give me faith that they're the answer? I will ask you what has Howard done to justify your faith in him? A couple of good games in 4 yrs?
So, you don't want to answer my question, and instead deflect by asking a question I've already answered in other posts.

So, you don't want to answer my question, and instead deflect by asking a question I've already answered in other posts.

I will answer your question directly since you didn't follow my train of thought in that post. (My fault)

Answer: Just about as much as Howard has done in Heck's case and this yr is the yr they're using to train up Deculus to hopefully be able to replace Howard after this yr.

I will answer your question directly since you didn't follow my train of thought in that post. (My fault)

Answer: Just about as much as Howard has done in Heck's case and this yr is the yr they're using to train up Deculus to hopefully be able to replace Howard after this yr.
Strange that you're so high on Deculus before a game has been played... most had him as an UDFA. I know you respect Lance Zierlein's evaluation of OL prospects. Lance had this to say
Durable and highly experienced, Deculus is a right tackle-only prospect with good know-how but a debilitating lack of athletic movements to get blocks executed consistently on the pro level. He uses his length effectively with active hands and good extension to keep rushers out of his frame but securing the edge against speed will be a challenge. He's a phone-booth run blocker who lacks bend and drive at the point of attack and will struggle to find his landmarks on move blocks. He's a late-rounder or undrafted free agent who could be a longshot to make a roster.

edit:and we all saw how Heck sucked last year... maybe he turns it around with the new OL coach but it ain't promising

I think Howard should have his break out season now that the team has an intelligent OC and strong OL coach who all appear to be on the same page. Howard was plugged into RT and this will be his spot to lose for 2022 and setting the stage for a new 2023 contract and beyond.

Tunsil will be fine with Green lining up next to him.....maybe a truly visual Pro Bowl type of season.

I'd like to see Deculus being primed at RG.

Heck and Scharping represent inexpensive depth that may actually improve with the complete revamping of the offense.

Texans should make it a priority to draft (RD2 or RD3) C, Ricky Stomberg (Arkansas) who would be a perfect fit for this OL since running the ball will be a priority. Nasty demeanor who truly finishes blocks at the first and second level. An interior OL that features Green, Stromberg, and Deculus could be pretty decent with Tunsil and Howard as bookends. Wouldn't mind drafting (RD1) OT, Peter Skoronski (Northwestern) as insurance in the event either Tunsil or Howard aren't retained after the 2022 season.

Strange that you're so high on Deculus before a game has been played... most had him as an UDFA. I know you respect Lance Zierlein's evaluation of OL prospects. Lance had this to say

edit:and we all saw how Heck sucked last year... maybe he turns it around with the new OL coach but it ain't promising

I'm not high on Deculus or Heck for that matter. I'm just saying that they're trying to develop OL. I'm actually higher on Steckler than Heck/Deculus.

Reactions: JB
Durable and highly experienced, Deculus is a right tackle-only prospect with good know-how but a debilitating lack of athletic movements to get blocks executed consistently on the pro level. He uses his length effectively with active hands and good extension to keep rushers out of his frame but securing the edge against speed will be a challenge. He's a phone-booth run blocker who lacks bend and drive at the point of attack and will struggle to find his landmarks on move blocks. He's a late-rounder or undrafted free agent who could be a longshot to make a roster.

This is exactly how I saw Deculus. He's stiff. He has no bend. He has dead feet. Unless they can figure out a way to make him move better, he won't make it out of camp. As a Guard, I don't know if he can move well enough to be a puller. Maybe he can just get his body in the way.

Heck just isn't very good. He might be good at a college level, but not at an NFL level. I think we'll bring in a few OT's after TC cuts.

This is exactly how I saw Deculus. He's stiff. He has no bend. He has dead feet. Unless they can figure out a way to make him move better, he won't make it out of camp. As a Guard, I don't know if he can move well enough to be a puller. Maybe he can just get his body in the way.
How was this guy a long time starter in the SEC?

I think with Lovie's coaching style, Mack will be RB1 on the first game day roster, and the first snap of game one, as respect to the veteran.
Pearce will be RB1 at some point after that.
It could be as early as the second snap of game one.

I think with Lovie's coaching style, Mack will be RB1 on the first game day roster, and the first snap of game one, as respect to the veteran.
Pearce will be RB1 at some point after that.
It could be as early as the second snap of game one.
Out of respect for all the other veterans he feeds the hot hand regardless who RB1 is on the depth chart.

He's a tough guy but athletically limited.

There is a valuable lesson to be learned in that sentence ! Considering the rare number of outstanding athletic specimens we once again, chose not to choose .... again, and the few, if any stellar OL prospects to be available next year, I don't see improvement in the cards .... it's a cruel sanity challenge .... seems like self flagellation to play !

There is a valuable lesson to be learned in that sentence ! Considering the rare number of outstanding athletic specimens we once again, chose not to choose .... again, and the few, if any stellar OL prospects to be available next year, I don't see improvement in the cards .... it's a cruel sanity challenge .... seems like self flagellation to play !

I think they can find a good RT in FA or the draft outside of the 1st rd

There will be plenty of good OL available that can play RT in the draft or in FA.

I'm already thinking about what this team can look like with Metchie back and drafting a stud TE. I don't want to turn this into another draft thread, but next yrs TE draft class is one of the strongest in yrs.

Dude I’ve watched the game three times already. You’re nitpicking at it’s finest. Even the Head Coach said he liked what Mack did last night. I guess he was just looking at

Mack will get a lot of touches this season, especially if he stays healthy. I guess you’re going to be an upset fan around these parts. We have a one two punch now and you’re tripping. Concerns, lol I thought we wasn’t winning now more than 5 games anyway. So why is that a concern?

Well we can scratch Marlon Mack off of this list. Wow

That didn't age well at all.

You know I had to do it. Just busting your balls. No harm no foul.

With some of the doom and gloom defeatist attitudes, I would think it would be better for some of y'all's sanity if you found another team to root for.

I saw promise in the team late last season and even with some of y'all's concerns we appeared to be heading in the right direction. I see the light at the other end of the tunnel as a way out while many of you think of it as a train coming and we are deep in the tunnel and there in not enough time to save ourselves.

For the first time in a long time I think there is plenty to be excited about. I trust Nick Caserio and feel good about our situation. Will we win a lot of games this season? Maybe, but not likely. Does that mean there is no hope? I don't see it that way. All I am expecting from this season is a team with a lot of heart who is competitive in almost every game. If our team is anything like they were at the end of last season they will steal some wins late. I can envision our team being one that other teams can't overlook.

While our team doesn't have a lot of weapons I think that we will be well coached and with that, tenacity, and heart, we will be a product worth watching!

Most of us know this season is not the season we should break out and win a lot of games and make a playoff run. I just look for signs we are heading in the right direction. In my opinion we have hope for the near future. I hope I am right. If not, it is not like as Texans fans we haven't been accustomed to disappointment! As of now I choose to go into this season optimistic! There are plenty of weaknesses on our team but I see an upward trend and not a downward spiral like us slowly going down the drain. I will trust in the process and see how things are in the next couple of seasons!

Perhaps I am being foolishly optimistic. Time will tell. I hope my optimism is rewarded in the next two to three seasons!

Last edited:
What do you all think of bringing Scottie Phillips back? I know he was not all that impressive but I really don't think he got much of a chance while he was on our team. With what we hope is an improved O-line and good health he may show he has more to contribute than we saw from him in the past. If not, I am sure some good running backs will become available.

That didn't age well at all.

You know I had to do it. Just busting your balls. No harm no foul.
Man why are you tagging me? Remember we’re not talking football on here anymore.
And the reason why this happened was because Mack didn’t want to be the second string back. He asked for the release. But hey go ahead and pound your chest.

And the reason why this happened was because Mack didn’t want to be the second string back. He asked for the release.

You seriously believe that? Washed Marlon Mack is too good for a second string role where according to you he would've gotten tons of touches?

Second string RB's get a lot of action. Not to mention 1st rbs usually miss some time here and there.

But yeah, ok...Marlon Mack felt he was too good for second string RB and he asked to be released because he has a bunch of other opportunities to go somewhere and start...got it.

I was just messing with you, but clearly you're in your feelings so I'll leave it alone. We don't have to interact, no sweat off my back.

If we keep Rex, just find another young guy with juice. I leave that to the Texans as I am not aware how to scan the full waiver wire. Sony is another vet, not my direction right now

If we keep Rex, just find another young guy with juice. I leave that to the Texans as I am not aware how to scan the full waiver wire. Sony is another vet, not my direction right now

The Texans have had so few Young Guy with Juice RBs that I don't even think that we know how to do that anymore.

Sony Michel?

I mentioned elsewhere that Sony Michel is available. Dolphins released him which was another surprise. They CANNOT go into battle with the stable of backs they have. That would be a complete dereliction of duty. They either need Sony, another feasible back, or perhaps there is a trade available for someone decent.

Sony is only 27

I mentioned elsewhere that Sony Michel is available. Dolphins released him which was another surprise. They CANNOT go into battle with the stable of backs they have. That would be a complete dereliction of duty. They either need Sony, another feasible back, or perhaps there is a trade available for someone decent.
They have Mostert,Gaskins, Ahmed and Chase Edmonds and appear to be happy with that

I have no idea who all is out there....

Just quickly browsing the web I see that the Saints released this rookie RB who was converted from LB:

Seems they like him and would like to have him on the PS if he doesn't get picked up.

Not very fast, but he runs hard and with his LB background he could be good on special teams as well....

Man why are you tagging me? Remember we’re not talking football on here anymore.
And the reason why this happened was because Mack didn’t want to be the second string back. He asked for the release. But hey go ahead and pound your chest.
I haven't seen anything about Mack asking to be released. Do you think he'll rush for 600 yards for someone else?

We told you what we saw. Now he's been released. I'm not pounding my chest, I don't understand how we have a spot for Burckhead & not Mack. I wanted to see Mack take out his angst & frustration on the Colts... Like I said, his top end speed is still there. But it's a slow build.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything about Mack asking to be released. Do you think he'll rush for 600 yards for someone else?

We told you what we saw. Now he's been released. I'm not pounding my chest, I don't understand how we have a spot for Burckhead & not Mack. I wanted to see Mack tack out his angst & frustration on the Colts... Like I said, his top end speed is still there. But it's a slow build.
I’m just telling you what I heard. Burkhead is even slower to hole.

Back