Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans promote TE coach Tim Kelly to be the OC

markn

All Pro
He's a former defensive lineman whose primary job has been to get the TEs to block (and assist with the OL). Do they block well? No. So obviously he should be promoted.
I don't think BO'B is looking for a creative play caller who can implement a new scheme. I think he's looking for someone who he trusts to do his bidding.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Bad window dressing if it happens.
If true, I'm a bit underwhelmed with this promotion. It feels like Godsey 2.0. Besides being O'Brien's graduate assistant at Penn State, I don't know what qualifies him to be an NFL OC.

Previously, as a offensive quality control coach he spent the entire 2014 season without recognizing or addressing the fact that the TEs were totally ignored in the offense. He gets promoted to TE coach and his group was one of the worst blocking units I've ever seen.

I was hoping O'Brien would have brought in a fresh pair of eyes with more offensive and/or play calling experience. So much for that.

frethack

Rookie
TEs only catch when they're out on routes. Hard to do too much when you play max protect constantly.

I thought Thomas showed a lot of promise last season

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Let’s say the Texans make TE coach Tim Kelly their offensive play caller. Here’s a list of guys whose first or second NFL coaching job was “TE coach.”
- Sean McVay
- Andy Reid
- Bruce Arians
- Pat Shurmur
- Ken Whisenhunt

This might actually work.
2:57 PM · Jan 30, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone
McVay - WRs to TEs to OC. QB in HS, WR in college.
Reid - mmmkay. Coached 13 years before becoming TE coach in Green Bay. OT in college.
Arians - 21 years before TE. QB HS & college.
Shurmur - TE coach actually his 1st NFL position...after 11 years of coaching. OG/C in college.
Whisenhunt - TE coach his 1st NFL position, duh he was a TE. Coached 10 years before OC. TE in college.

Comparing Kelly to these guys is a joke.

I thought Thomas showed a lot of promise last season
Thomas & Akins both look good if developed. I give Gaines a lot of credit for them. Just want to see them used well.

bigmck

Rookie
Let’s say the Texans make TE coach Tim Kelly their offensive play caller. Here’s a list of guys whose first or second NFL coaching job was “TE coach.”
- Sean McVay
- Andy Reid
- Bruce Arians
- Pat Shurmur
- Ken Whisenhunt

This might actually work.
2:57 PM · Jan 30, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone
That is quite a list. -- You better add Vince Lombardi and Georg Halas. There were no Tight Ends when they coached, but if there were TE, I am sure they were qualified to fill it. We will just add them also. :)

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
If true, I'm a bit underwhelmed with this promotion. It feels like Godsey 2.0. Besides being O'Brien's graduate assistant at Penn State, I don't know what qualifies him to be an NFL OC.
Lawling is also a friend of OB from Penn State. First 3 years with the Texans he was defensive quality control. Last 2 as assistant OL.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Lawling is also a friend of OB from Penn State. First 3 years with the Texans he was defensive quality control. Last 2 as assistant OL.
Organizationally consistent. ..rather familiar over other characteristics such innovative, creative, unique, etc...even when a good decision the Texans go safe more often than not.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Obrien should now have the time to call timeouts and challenge flags correctly. Not to mention when to go for it on 4th

Earl34

Hall of Fame
McVay - WRs to TEs to OC. QB in HS, WR in college.
Reid - mmmkay. Coached 13 years before becoming TE coach in Green Bay
Arians - 21 years before TE.
Shurmur - TE coach actually his 1st NFL position...after 11 years of coaching.
Whisenhunt - TE coach his 1st NFL position, duh he was a TE. Coached 10 years before OC.

Comparing Kelly to these guys is a joke.

Thomas & Akins both look good if developed. I give Gaines a lot of credit for them. Just want to see them used well.
I was just about to do the same comparison. Thanks for doing the work. I knew that was a feel good, but flawed and bogus comparison.

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Former defensive tackle, coaches tight ends (who are basically non existent) gets promoted to offensive coordinator. Sweet. Sounds like a slam dunk scapegoat when our offense continues to struggle under Obrien.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Why do I get the impression that no one on Kirby listens to us?
Which one of us should they listen to? We can't agree on anything around here. Pretty sure if someone made a thread about the sky being blue people would argue..........though in Houston it would be a valid arguement. Of course it would break down to some saying it's not blue because of BoBs coaching and some saying it's because of Smith being the GM.

Kinda want to make that thread now.:troll:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
This was reported on chron.com today: https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-to-promote-Tim-Kelly-offensive-coordinator-13584137.php

Don't think it's a done deal yet but probably good as done! While it does appear to be an underwhelming promotion on the surface I'm going to withhold any judgement until I see a bad product on the field! :shades:
Waiting to see the actual product on the field is always a good idea. But not near as much fun as roasting the poor muther ****** beforehand. :)

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I expect that Kelly does not take on play calling until the latter part of the year. Common sense would tell you that he will need time to be oriented to the new position and to what O'Brien expects of him when he does. Next year we'll see him gain autonomy.

Mangler

Toro de España
I expect that Kelly does not take on play calling until the latter part of the year. Common sense would tell you that he will need time to be oriented to the new position and to what O'Brien expects of him when he does. Next year we'll see him gain autonomy.
And then O’Brien will take over half way through the season because the crowd at NRG will be calling for his arse. Kelly goes on to be the scapegoat and we get more of the same for the next 3-4 years till our QB guru’s contract runs out.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
And then O’Brien will take over half way through the season because the crowd at NRG will be calling for his arse. Kelly goes on to be the scapegoat and we get more of the same for the next 3-4 years till our QB guru’s contract runs out.
And by that time the AAF and the XFL will have gone out of business (again) and there'll be nothing left to watch.

Except more of the same from the Texans, but we're used to that.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
And by that time the AAF and the XFL will have gone out of business (again) and there'll be nothing left to watch.

Except more of the same from the Texans, but we're used to that.
last dance with maryjane one more time to kill the pain...

Earl34

Hall of Fame
As Kelly adjusts to his new role, there will be complaints about the offense and the O'Brien apologists will say "He just can't please these fans. He hired an OC and they are still complaining". They will totally miss the point that this is another O'Brien decision that created an unnecessary problem that he now has to address. It's the same type of logic that made him move Davenport to RT and Rankin to LT. Rinse and repeat.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
infantrycak said:
That ranks as my biggest disappoint last season. I had high hopes for Jordan Akins .

Just seems like player development is not a high priority. Just the opposite. It is really a difficult task to find any player that has shown much improvement with this staff. If his players stayed healthy I think Welker might have done some good. Of course he will not be here long.

:coffee: