Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans promote George Godsey to Offensive Coordinator

I mentioned as much in the Hoyer thread. He alluded to Godsey calling plays in the future. & OB said things here & there that lead me to believe he had been last season as well.

However, I'm sure most of his time was spent with the QBs he'll actually be responsible for the whole offense now, which I don't think was the case last year.

When asked this morning about his decision to call plays, O'Brien brought up Godsey, unprompted.

"He does a lot of things offensively to help me," O'Brien said. "I really give him a lot of responsibility offensively. At some point in time, probably sooner rather than later, he'll be an offensive coordinator. He does a lot of that for us."

Godsey began his career in the NFL as an offensive assistant for New England in 2011, the only year O'Brien was officially the Patriots' offensive coordinator. His relationship with O'Brien goes back to Georgia Tech when Godsey was a quarterback and O'Brien was a coach. He moved to tight ends coach there in 2012 and 2013 when O'Brien was at Penn State, then left to join O'Brien's staff in Houston last year.

He took some of the public responsibilities of an offensive coordinator, including conducting the Wednesday press conferences mandated for coordinators throughout last season. His title, though, was quarterbacks coach. One benefit of having a person take that gradual route is it offers a public murkiness on the inner workings of the team's offense. The collaborative effort of putting together the game plan can allow a coach can gain experience without the scrutiny that comes with being a first-year offensive coordinator. Godsey is ready, though.

It worked for O'Brien, who was calling plays in New England for three seasons, but only held the official title of offensive coordinator for one.

"It's really important to have a guy like George Godsey on your staff for me because he knows exactly what our system is, the definition of our system, how we want to call plays," O'Brien said. "How we design a game plan. I don't have to teach him that. He was with us in New England, he's come up to the ranks and he's a really good football coach."

One thing Godsey has room for improvement in is his pressers. Looks/acts uncomfortable as he squirms at the podium.
laugh-1.gif

How much of this move in title is a way to "protect" Godsey from being stolen by another team as their OC? As a young and relatively inexperienced OC, it is probably pretty unlikely that he be escalated to HC by another team.
Maybe Billy and George are like peas and carrots?

I think he earned it, with O'Brien pushing him out there in front of the media each week to take some bullets.
smiley-face-poke.gif

How much of this move in title is a way to "protect" Godsey from being stolen by another team as their OC? As a young and relatively inexperienced OC, it is probably pretty unlikely that he be escalated to HC by another team.

I think it was to protect OB from the morons who weren't satisfied with a rookie HC bringing in a rookie OC. This way, all he had to deal with were the dummies whi insisted OB hire an OC.

I say this because it was only one year that Godsey OCed from the shadows. Had it been tworking or more, like OB did in New England, I'd say the reason was like you said.

Probably a good move for this year. Now OB can spend time on the overall game, and not tied up lining up offensive plays.

500x540.jpg

Texans' Godsey devoted to reviving offense

Ryan Mallett stands alone, owning an imaginary offense.

Brian Hoyer and Tom Savage kneel together, uniting to form a make-believe defensive front that waits to threaten the Texans' temporary quarterback.

A roving, preying blitzer bounces between Hoyer and Savage.

He's older and wiser. His immediate future is completely secure. But the 36-year-old is sweating beneath a rising Monday morning Houston sun, just like his players. And when the ball is snapped and Mallett races backward, George Godsey attacks.

The sprint lasts only a few steps. It's organized team activities, everything in T-shirts and shorts is for show, and Godsey's playing days peaked 12 years ago. The Texans' newly named offensive coordinator is linked in spirit and reality with his QB trio, though.

He'll rise as they ascend. He'll fail if they fall. So when Hoyer and Savage joke like teenagers and Mallett dances around in the pocket like he's actually mobile, the football-aholic just promoted by head coach Bill O'Brien finally shows off a little of his real self.

"There you go. Good!" says Godsey, whose rarely seen smile matches his quarterbacks' grins.

Code:
Coaching career

2014-current    Quarterbacks           Texans
2012-13         Tight ends             Patriots
2011            Offensive assistant    Patriots
2009-10         Running backs          Central Florida
2005-08         Quarterbacks           Central Florida
2004            Graduate assistant     Central Florida
"George is not quiet. ... It's very back-and-forth communicating during meetings, so we understand and we're on the same page as him. Because if we're not on the same page, then nobody is going to be successful."
--Ryan Mallett

"Someone who's been back there when 11 guys are coming at you ... they know what it's like to be in the fire. They relate a little bit better than someone who maybe sits back and watches it on film or out on the field."
--Brian Hoyer​
The Texans will go where their offense takes them in 2015. The light will fall on Godsey more than ever.

The team's OC and HC have been connected since 1997, when Godsey redshirted as a Georgia Tech quarterback and O'Brien was apprenticing as a young coach under George O'Leary. In Year Two of the Texans' O'Brien era, Godsey has been given full command of a unit that could significantly surprise or greatly disappoint.

The Texans' defense isn't being questioned. J.J. Watt is a landmark, Vince Wilfork is a roadblock, and 67-year-old defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel could walk off the field tomorrow without denting his Hall of Fame-caliber legacy.

The Texans' offense? Godsey has Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins. Everything else - from the starting QB battle between Mallett and Hoyer to Andre Johnson's to-be-determined replacement - is a fascinating question mark.

"I have all the confidence in the world that he'll do a good job," O'Brien said. "He's a bright guy. He's a good communicator. He's a fast thinker. He's a riser in this profession."

True workaholic

Godsey has devoted his life and mind to the game. After an unpredictable first season that featured four different quarterbacks, a 9-7 record and a near-playoff appearance - the Texans won four of their final five games as their defense locked down and their offense finally opened up - Godsey is more dedicated than ever to the religion of the NFL.

The son of a coach, brother of college football-playing siblings and friend of gridiron gurus across the country intently sets his alarm clock to ring at 4 a.m. Living close enough to NRG Stadium to never lose traffic time, Godsey proudly spends his days in tunnels, on fields and inside secretive rooms. Accuracy, efficiency and communication are everything. His day ends whenever his work is done. Then 4 a.m. awaits again.

"Whatever it takes, however many hours you've got to put in," Godsey said. "I really don't have a time limit."

O'Brien's longtime friend and colleague is more of a devout hunter than a mad scientist, though. Godsey finds comfort in X's and O's and discovers joy in the minutiae of the game. But he's also as demanding and competitive as the Texans' head coach.

"(Godsey) definitely is a workaholic, and he is the most prepared guy on the staff. He lives and breathes the offense," center Ben Jones said. "They both have that fire about them, and that's what you want. You want somebody that's going to put it on the line and take chances."

When he was still the Yellow Jackets' quarterback, Godsey would splice his practice cadence with the defensive positioning of Georgia Tech's scout team. When the Texans' new offensive coordinator reunites with Brent Key, who worked with Godsey and O'Brien under O'Leary, the only time the friends aren't discussing football is when they're updating each other about their families.

"I'm not going to lie; he can tell jokes," said Key, who is currently Central Florida's offensive coordinator under O'Leary. "But that's just not George's personality. George is all ball."

Learning on the fly

Godsey won't look back or glance ahead.

Asked about a run-first offense that displayed its true potential only when the 2014 season was on the line, Godsey declined to reflect on games already won or lost. He conceded, though, that the Texans' attack was a constant work in progress in Year One, with a new coaching staff adjusting to the virtues and limitations of unfamiliar athletes.

"We really didn't know what we had because we essentially weren't hands-on with them, except for the 16 days (during the offseason) and a little bit of the rookie camp," Godsey said. "That'll definitely help us this year."

If Mallett or Hoyer soar and the team's offense can match the defense for 16 games, the Texans could return to the postseason for the first time in three years. But any discussion about Godsey's desire to one day follow in O'Brien's footsteps and become one of 32 NFL head coaches was lost on the man himself.

"There's a lot of papers on my desk right now," said Godsey, who credited the remainder of the Texans' staff multiple times during an interview. "That's where I'm putting my time right now."

Mallett, Hoyer and Savage; two-minute drills, red-zone setups and third-down execution - that's where Godsey is devoting his life. The Texans' OC and HC are attempting to erase the dividing lines between players and coaches, in turn creating a physical, precise offense that will be a strength, not a liability, in 2015.

The preseason awaits. Week 1 is just three months away. The NFL never ends, and Godsey's 4 a.m. alarm clock is about to ring.

"You get what you put in, and I'm trying to put in a lot of work," he said.​

Last edited:
...The Texans will go where their offense takes them in 2015...The Texans' offense? Godsey has Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins. Everything else - from the starting QB battle between Mallett and Hoyer to Andre Johnson's to-be-determined replacement - is a fascinating question mark...
Not exactly accurate. Debatably, we have the best bookend OT's in the league. We have a solid right side OG. And we're set with a solid FB. Six starters out of eleven is an excellent foundation on the offensive side of the ball. If you want to call TE a question mark, I won't disagree, but I won't agree, either. In my opinion, our question marks are at OC, left side OG and our receiving corps. And of course QB.

But with Arian running the ball behind our offensive line, and with our defense, we are a playoff caliber team, even with our question marks. The question facing Godsey is, how much better can we be?

Last edited:
104_DUKE512X420_JPG.jpg

Texans' O-coordinator George Godsey puts distance between coaching, playing days

HOUSTON -- The details of the game are a little bit fuzzy to coach Bill O'Brien 13 years later. But he remembers how impressed he was watching George Godsey, then Georgia Tech's quarterback, lead the team back to win a road game against then-undefeated Clemson.

"He wasn't the most mobile of quarterbacks, so he would stand in that pocket and take a hit," O'Brien said. "...I was the running backs coach then, I just remembered him leading us back. He had a big bandage on his chin, his elbow was all swollen, hanging in there. He led us on a last-second touchdown to a guy named Kerry Watkins. I just remember ... there are things you could point to show his competitiveness and his willingness to do whatever it took to win."

Godsey threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Watkins with seven seconds left in the Dec. 13, 2002 game to give Georgia Tech a 31-28 win and set a school record with 454 yards passing. The game showcased many of the qualities O'Brien looks for in quarterbacks he evaluates. Toughness. Pocket presence. Competitiveness. The ability to make the right decisions to lead a game-winning drive.

In fact, coaching Godsey helped impact the way O'Brien viewed the quarterback position and what he wanted from it -- a process built through experience of all the quarterbacks he's coached.

Now as head coach and offensive coordinator on the same team, they define each position and each individual player they coach, listing the qualities they want in the former and identifying strengths and weaknesses in the latter.

Godsey, 36, is more than a decade removed from his playing days and tries to remember that in his role as the Texans' O-coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

"The one thing I personally did not want to do is form this quarterback the way I played or the way I saw it -- I was a college quarterback who didn't play pro football," Godsey said.

In the past 10 years, Godsey was a quarterbacks coach at UCF, a running backs coach at UCF, an offensive assistant with the New England Patriots, where he worked heavily with their quarterbacks, and then the Patriots' tight ends coach for two seasons before being hired by the Texans and reuniting with O'Brien.

"The more positions you coach, in my opinion, the more versed you get at looking through the players' eyes," Godsey said. "When the ball's snapped, you can coach them as much as you want from the sideline, but the ball is in his hands."

Though he minimizes the importance of his time as a quarterback, both O'Brien and quarterback Brian Hoyer have found that a helpful trait. Hoyer is competing with Ryan Mallett to be the Texans' starter.

This summer, the Texans' internal evaluation process will help resolve that competition. But as the season approaches, it will also color each week's game plan, a responsibility now officially Godsey's after his play-calling duties grew gradually last season.

As it did last season due to one benching and three significant quarterback injuries, the Texans' game plans will adjust to fit the player, rather than vice versa. Doing that requires knowing who your players truly are.

"There's been very few that have been this ideal makeup at the position," Godsey said. "People are more fundamentally sound than others. Others have stronger arms. Others are better leaders and really practice and compete every day and are better competitors. ...What we're trying to do is see what each individual quarterback does well and form the offense around [that]."​

Back