Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans predictions circa 2024

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Me? I'm the quintessential Texans homer but I'm also a realist.
This will be the best ever Texans season.
We win the AFCS and make the playoffs easily and make it to the AFCCG.
I'm not quite ready to pronounce a winner until I see our opponent but I fancy our chances regardless.
The injury bug still has wings here in Houston and once again we lament our Oline but I see an improved performance from them - mainly due to CJ making them look good coupled with an improved running game.
I also see our defense giving our offense more time on the field to terrorize opposing defenses.
It's gonna be a long wait for Game 1 after the draft.
Bring it!
:coolb::evil:

There is only one thing that will keep the Texans from winning the division again, and that's a bunch of injuries. If the injuries are kept around "normal control" there is no one in our division that can keep up with us. None of 'em.

After that entropy takes effect. The Texans are on their way to glory, be it this year or next year, but it'll happen.

There is only one thing that will keep the Texans from winning the division again, and that's a bunch of injuries. If the injuries are kept around "normal control" there is no one in our division that can keep up with us. None of 'em.

After that entropy takes effect. The Texans are on their way to glory, be it this year or next year, but it'll happen.
So correct me if I'm wrong, but Thorn it sounds to me that your optimism about the Houston Texans is at an all-time high ?

Floor division champs again
Ceiling SB winner.
Most dangerous opponents: injury and the Texans.

The "injury and the Texans" of course, catches my eye. Do we have even one offense lineman, who's not among the walking wounded ? I believe we could be in the Super Bowl at the end of this season with a hale and hearty front five !

The "injury and the Texans" of course, catches my eye. Do we have even one offense lineman, who's not among the walking wounded ? I believe we could be in the Super Bowl at the end of this season with a hale and hearty front five !
Imagine if they could actually develop some cohesion?

The AFC South is always competitive, but it sounds like you've got faith in the Texans to come out on top. Hoping those improvements you mentioned, especially in the O-line and defense, pay off big time.

Just cause if it aint broke....we will be the worst of the worstsest of worst teams from worstville eating brought-worst smothered in worst-ershire sauce straight from the worst factory in New York City.... from the worst ingredients bottled in the worst packaging and bottles, shipped straight to our door via FedEX.... worst yet... our doorbell camera has the worst batteries in it and it wont even give us the worst notification that the worst packaging is at our door and even the worst porch pirate will not even touch it, leaving it to bake in the Texas sun so its suffering the worst heat.... so its warm... which is even worse.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but Thorn it sounds to me that your optimism about the Houston Texans is at an all-time high ?

Hasn't been higher since the days of Foster, AJ and Good Schaub. :)

If Ryans and Caserio keep being as good a team as they were last year, the Texans will be rocking. Kansas City will soon be on their way down, it's inevitable. The Texans will replace them.

Has the team improved? On paper it is yes. Playing the games with the tougher schedule?? Yes, we have improved but I don't see the win/lose record changing much. I think we will be a 9-11 win team. Very likely the division champs. Once in the playoffs, then we will likely do some damage. How much is TBD.

If Ryans and Caserio keep being as good a team as they were last year, the Texans will be rocking. Kansas City will soon be on their way down, it's inevitable. The Texans will replace them.
Well Thorn I'm not so sure about the Chiefs decline being "soon" because TB12 was winning
SBs with the Pats into his 40s while Pat MaHomes @ 28 is still just a baby so they should be
riding high for a while longer.
But I'm really excited about our Texans too, but I'm trying my best not to get carried away too soon - have you seen a list of our oppents this Fall ? Yikes it's scary !

I'm not quite ready to pronounce a winner until I see our opponent but I fancy our chances regardless.
The injury bug still has wings here in Houston and once again we lament our Oline but I see an improved performance from them - mainly due to CJ making them look good coupled with an improved running game.
I also see our defense giving our offense more time on the field to terrorize opposing defenses.
Bring it!

Superbowl bound

Playing the games with the tougher schedule?
Three games separate a first and last place schedule. In the Texans case, they will play the Chiefs, Ravens, and Cowboys rather than the Chargers, Bengals, and Commanders. I would welcome the opportunity to play these big regular season games in order to be prepared for the playoffs. It's not like these 1st place teams have set the offseason on fire. The Texans have. 12 wins is very possible and may be enough secure the top seed.

agree totally with the first statement.

two worries (this assumes no major injuries)
1) Defensive coordinators have a whole year of film on CJ and our offensive tendencies. They will adjust. The Texans won't surprise/sneak up on anybody. They'll have to earn every win

2) We play a first place schedule

1) Defensive coordinators have a whole year of film on CJ and our offensive tendencies. They will adjust. The Texans won't surprise/sneak up on anybody. They'll have to earn every win

All that is true. Now factor into the equation this is Stroud, DeMeco, Slowick's 2nd year together. Along with the supposed and hopefully new improvements coming from the rest of free agency and the draft. And extra points just for DeMeco being the HC. Baring injuries, they take the AFCS. After that, we'll see.

All this is true, but CJ is CJ plus he has been working hard to get better.
On paper, this is a better Texans team - let's hope the draft yields a nice impact player or three.

Three games separate a first and last place schedule. In the Texans case, they will play the Chiefs, Ravens, and Cowboys rather than the Chargers, Bengals, and Commanders. I would welcome the opportunity to play these big regular season games in order to be prepared for the playoffs. It's not like these 1st place teams have set the offseason on fire. The Texans have. 12 wins is very possible and may be enough secure the top seed.

And strength of schedule based off what happened last year doesn’t mean much compared to this year.
Last year in April the Texans SOS was .431 for the 23 season based on teams records from the 22 season. After the 23 season was played the winning percentage for those teams on the Texans schedule rose to a .474 winning percentage. And that was with 2 win Carolina and 4 win Arizona on the schedule.

We don’t know what teams will fall off or rise this year. This year the Jets could be a riser if Rodgers is anywhere near what he was last time he played. Miami, Buffalo and Dallas could fall off. You just don’t know how it shakes out.

So I’m not really worried about SOS based on last years records. I’m more concerned about the team being able to compete with anybody on the schedule. I think they’re at that point. Doesn’t mean they’re ready to win all the big games against the teams who will turn out to be the best, but I think they have a better than punchers chance against them. And the Texans may be one of those teams that turn out to be one of the best.

And strength of schedule based off what happened last year doesn’t mean much compared to this year.
Last year in April the Texans SOS was .431 for the 23 season based on teams records from the 22 season. After the 23 season was played the winning percentage for those teams on the Texans schedule rose to a .474 winning percentage. And that was with 2 win Carolina and 4 win Arizona on the schedule.

We don’t know what teams will fall off or rise this year. This year the Jets could be a riser if Rodgers is anywhere near what he was last time he played. Miami, Buffalo and Dallas could fall off. You just don’t know how it shakes out.

So I’m not really worried about SOS based on last years records. I’m more concerned about the team being able to compete with anybody on the schedule. I think they’re at that point. Doesn’t mean they’re ready to win all the big games against the teams who will turn out to be the best, but I think they have a better than punchers chance against them. And the Texans may be one of those teams that turn out to be one of the best.
Depending on their draft picks not hitting, I can see a Chiefs falloff this year - not saying they'll be bad, just not as dominant as we're accustomed to.

Post FA, but pre-draft, I have the Texans with 11 wins (+ or - 1 win).

Let's see what the draft brings along with round 2 of FA.

As usual, key guys need to be largely healthy, or things can go south quickly, like in 2013.

Bring it!
If the team stays relatively healthy, the AFCCG is my minimum expectation. I would even be so bold as to say they may be one of the top 2 seeds in the conference. The offense will be more potent and Demeco's D in year 2 will be top 10. Gimme that Koolaid!

If you want a shot at the Super Bowl, you need to be able to beat the Chiefs and Ravens. I'm glad we're playing them and neither team got appreciably better during free agency. The Cowboys look like they've gotten worse and I love it when get a chance to beat them. Chargers and Bengals will probably be improved. Commanders will be better, but are almost certainly the worst of the six listed teams.

If the team stays relatively healthy, the AFCCG is my minimum expectation. I would even be so bold as to say they may be one of the top 2 seeds in the conference. The offense will be more potent and Demeco's D in year 2 will be top 10. Gimme that Koolaid!
Right!
And none of the whimpy crap!

You play the games on your schedule. You don't play games to "get ready for the playoffs". You can either compete with good teams, or you can't. The only difference is division games because both teams know each other so well. That's why you build a team to win the division so that you're guaranteed a playoff spot. What happens in the playoffs is winner take all. Coaching and game planning matters more then.

If you want a shot at the Super Bowl, you need to be able to beat the Chiefs and Ravens. I'm glad we're playing them and neither team got appreciably better during free agency. The Cowboys look like they've gotten worse and I love it when get a chance to beat them. Chargers and Bengals will probably be improved. Commanders will be better, but are almost certainly the worst of the six listed teams.
I couldn't care less about how NFC teams have improved. The Chiefs, Ravens, Bengals, and Bills didn't do much. That improves the Texans' odds. The luxury of a great QB on a rookie contract. A good draft, a competent OL, and mild injury bug could put the Texans in contention.

I couldn't care less about how NFC teams have improved. The Chiefs, Ravens, Bengals, and Bills didn't do much. That improves the Texans' odds. The luxury of a great QB on a rookie contract. A good draft, a competent OL, and mild injury bug could put the Texans in contention.
And an ascending coaching staff.

Just as long as that famed sophomore slump stays away.
Right like Mahomes and Brady because those guys had bad sophomore seasons!!!

200w.gif

Right like Mahomes and Brady because those guys had bad sophomore seasons!!!

200w.gif
Brady certainly didn’t have a sophomoric slump as he was still gaining traction with his stats but Mahomes most definitely did. While his sophomoric year was great… the drop off (slump) was significant… 50 TDs to 26 TDs.

Did your spreadsheet tell you this.

Stands to reason that the team can have the same record as last yr and be a better team.

Post FA, but pre-draft, I have the Texans with 11 wins (+ or - 1 win).

Let's see what the draft brings along with round 2 of FA.

As usual, key guys need to be largely healthy, or things can go south quickly, like in 2013.
Which 11 do you think they will win?

I would wait until after the draft before I made this post.

I would wait until after the draft before I made this post.

Every year some teams do better than expected, some worse than expected. This is a telling year for the Texans, because at a minimum they should be better than last year. I don't know how many more wins that translates into, but it should "translate" into winning the AFC South again.

Brady certainly didn’t have a sophomoric slump as he was still gaining traction with his stats but Mahomes most definitely did. While his sophomoric year was great… the drop off (slump) was significant… 50 TDs to 26 TDs.
If winning a Super Bowl means falling off than I 100% want Cj to fall off lol

32f3a4bfd55c7bff4ef6447eb5110183.gif

Luckily that wont be the OL this yr, barring injuries.
Thank god. The worse play of our season imo came from our former o line man, George Fant. Divisional round against Baltimore, George got rag dolled by a 195lbs ravens db. Never seen that happen before. That play was embarrassing and to make matters worse the ravens db only used 1 arm to body that guy

Mahomes missed two games in 2019 and made 100 less pass attempts than 2018, but still passed for 4,031 yards and had 26/5 TD:Int ratio.

In other words, his second year "slump" was equivalent to what Stroud just accomplished in one of the best true rookie seasons ever.

Considering that Mahomes has never replicated his first season as a starter, maybe we need to recognize it as the beautiful aberration that it was.

Mahomes missed two games in 2019 and made 100 less pass attempts than 2018, but still passed for 4,031 yards and had 26/5 TD:Int ratio.

In other words, his second year "slump" was equivalent to what Stroud just accomplished in one of the best true rookie seasons ever.

Considering that Mahomes has never replicated his first season as a starter, maybe we need to recognize it as the beautiful aberration that it was.
Maybe, but that's one reason why I keep pounding the table about our Oline.
If it is improved, that will help counter the sophomore slump effect - of opposing DCs having that film on him now.

Back