Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans invite Chad Eaton to training camp...

texan279

Hall of Fame
KFFL.com reported this morning that the Texans invited Chad Eaton from the Seahawks to training camp...Does anyone know anything about this?

Tennessee and Dallas have invited him to camp also and he is/was a great nose tackle. A prototype type guy; a big two-gap run stuffer. He supposedly has bad knees but if healthy he could be a Steve Martin type for a year but he is a better player than Martin if he is healthy. He's in his 30's so he would be a short term guy if he comes.

Please tell me this has nothing to do with Seth Payne's rehab status and that it only has something to do with DeLoach not showing much at NT. eek:

I think we need to have another guy who can be a legitimate force inside and this is a possibility that the coaches have decided might work. I don't think it's an issue of not expecting Payne back this year at all. If I had to guess I'd say that they don't want to even think about putting Payne out there too soon and so having a guy like Eaton to start early and spell Payne until he's back in form and feeling confident would be a good thing.

Assuming he's healthy enough to go of course. I think it's caution and nothing more. They're going to be careful with Payne for as long as they can. Losing him last year probably was the biggest single factor in the defenses fall from grace. I hope Eaton has another season or two in him. He could be a great guy off the bench to spell Seth.

I posted a while back that I figured we would go after a veteran NT since we didn't draft one. I wouldn't read too much into it other than every team looks for players at every position every year to bring into camp. Since we didn't sign anyone earlier or draft one this makes some sense. :twocents:

Adding Eaton would be great if he is healthy. A breather for Seth with a guy like this would be nice. DeLoach could get in a few plays and learn from another veteran.

What I would really have liked to see is the Texans bring in a young nose tackle, even a project, to add to the mix.

Eaton has had three operations on the same knee in the past year, although there is some uncertainty about which knee is the bad one. Some sites say its his left knee, some say its the right knee.

If Eaton is good to go he ought to be a good backup and insurance policy for Payne, but I will need to see it to believe it as far as Eaton actually getting on the field.

The article I saw had Eaton saying he had one operation, and two follow-up procedures due to an infection (sounds a lot like Payne.) It also said he was planning on playing at the vet minimum. If he's able to pass a physical I'd like to see him at training camp to compete with DeLoach for the backup NT spot.

Back