Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans draft grades.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
These are only for early grades.
The real value of a draft pick comes after at least two seasons.
Chris Trapasso rated Ross Blacklock at A-
He gave Jonathan Greenard an A.

Add to the list as they become available.

RGV82

Random guy
NFL.com is pretty accurate:

Day 2 grade and analysis: A
Blacklock is a nice value for the Texans because he can play inside or outside. He looked like a first-round pick in many games, so Houston has to be pleased that it could secure him in the second. Greenard is a perfect edge rusher pick in the third round for the Texans. While not elite in any one particular category, he consistently gets upfield and is not pushed around in the run game. That pick met a big need for competition on the outside.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
On paper, the picks look reasonable to me. We'll find out later on down the road how good this draft turns out. At least they took two defensive players, which we have critical need of. We still need more o-line help and a DB or two.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
A case can be made that Blacklock would have been value at 1.26, where the Texans spot was in the 1st round. So, one could say the Texans received a 1st for Hopkins (not suggesting Blacklock is as good as Hopkins). Greenard is a solid 3rd rounder.

The question for me is what could have happened at pick 2.57, dealt to the Rams for Cooks? Van Jefferson or Denzel Mims could have been selected at that point in the draft. Will Cooks, at his inflated salary, out perform Jefferson and Mims, at their rookie deals? That will the difference between an "A" draft, or a missed opportunity.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
A case can be made that Blacklock would have been value at 1.26, where the Texans spot was in the 1st round. So, one could say the Texans received a 1st for Hopkins (not suggesting Blacklock is as good as Hopkins). Greenard is a solid 3rd rounder.

The question for me is what could have happened at pick 2.57, dealt to the Rams for Cooks? Van Jefferson or Denzel Mims could have been selected at that point in the draft. Will Cooks, at his inflated salary, out perform Jefferson and Mims, at their rookie deals? That will the difference between an "A" draft, or a missed opportunity.
I think in 2020 Cooks easily outperforms these rookies. I think rookie WR will be tough with so little camp. I think the performance will be plus for Cooks, but is it worth the salary difference by year two, probably not. Maybe BOB sees Fuller going away next year so wanted a vet to anchor the WR group. Sure have lost the chance on some stud WR's so far. Hope their scouts have their eye on someone of good value

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I think in 2020 Cooks easily outperforms these rookies. I think rookie WR will be tough with so little camp.
A lot of people think that will happen, as you suggest. I'll take the pro-Hopkins trade argument of "Let's see what happens." 8 rookie wideouts outperformed Cooks in 2019. I think it's very possible that either Jefferson or Mims achieve that in 2020.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
A lot of people think that will happen, as you suggest. I'll take the pro-Hopkins trade argument of "Let's see what happens." 8 rookie wideouts outperformed Cooks in 2019. I think it's very possible that either Jefferson or Mims achieve that in 2020.
I used a lot of "I think" Let's see. Would be ok either way, Cooks or Mims. I certainly don't know, and do expect Cooks to move back to his mean, not last year so that is the bar a rookie needs to beat which I see hard in 2020. Heck he could be out concussed and retire, none of us know

take6

Noob

what did the Texans get for pick #111 to the Dolphins

RGV82

Random guy
After doing some research on both of these guys, they seem like solid picks. The reward definitely outweighs the risk.... the only concern is both have significant injury history in college, which hopefully doesn't linger.

take6

Noob

what is the grade for the 4 th pick Heck ?

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
B- to me, I wanted a swing tackle and Heck has pedigree and size with good upside but seemed like he would have been there without moving up. Fair amount of development still required which I am ok with on DL, but our OL coach ain't got history to improve these guys. Did meet my anyone but Chris Clark need though

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Between Grade A and B.
DT, OLB(edge) first round quality, CB, OT, WR, and one more pick. Signed a vet saftey day before the draft. What's not to like yea sure it could, would, should of this player instead but they covered needs and I like it all. Now for the UFDAs. Go Texans!

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I did not follow the draft as much as I normally do this offseason. With the Covid pandemic and OB officially given total control I was actively looking for other ways to occupy my time. That being said I like what I see of the players/positions taken and think there are going to be at least 3 guys from this rookie class who will be contributing regularly from the start. Which is about as good as you can hope given with where the team entered picks wise and the current roster makeup.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I did not follow the draft as much as I normally do this offseason. With the Covid pandemic and OB officially given total control I was actively looking for other ways to occupy my time. That being said I like what I see of the players/positions taken and think there are going to be at least 3 guys from this rookie class who will be contributing regularly from the start. Which is about as good as you can hope given with where the team entered picks wise and the current roster makeup.
Pretty much this.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Care to elaborate? I thought the Texans were more active than any other offseason
Are you reading just a couple of words and jumping to conclusions like our last exchange? You elaborate. My post was clear on its meaning (again.)

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Are you reading just a couple of words and jumping to conclusions like our last exchange? You elaborate. My post was clear on its meaning (again.)
You stated what wasn't done. What did you want that wasn't done?

powda

You stated what wasn't done. What did you want that wasn't done?
What have we done in free agency? We've signed 3rd tier players. Have we gotten better? Roby was the only splash I can think of.

What additions have we made to make you think this team will be better then it was in 2019?

powda

That article is dated before tunsil and anything they'll do with Watson but it's enough to make some moves in free agency.

So tell me, what have we done in free agency?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
What have we done in free agency? We've signed 3rd tier players.
Cobb is a 3rd tier player?

What additions have we made to make you think this team will be better then it was in 2019?
I think the addition of David Johnson and Brandin Cooks and all the 3rd tier players will make this team better through improved depth, team speed and special teams. Plus there are no more scapegoats so it finally rests on OB to sink or swim

powda

Cobb is a 3rd tier player?

I think the addition of David Johnson and Brandin Cooks and all the 3rd tier players will make this team better through improved depth, team speed and special teams. Plus there are no more scapegoats so it finally rests on OB to sink or swim

Johnson and cooks were trades, not free agents.

I wouldn't rest my hat on cobb and call it a great free agency period.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Johnson and cooks were trades, not free agents.
I know, but you asked why I thought the Texans could be better. That's why I separated the two thoughts.

wouldn't rest my hat on cobb and call it a great free agency period.
So again I ask what you wanted that we didn't get? Are you forgetting Jernigan and Vanderdos? Are are they 3rd tier players?

powda

I know, but you asked why I thought the Texans could be better. That's why I separated the two thoughts.

So again I ask what you wanted that we didn't get? Are you forgetting Jernigan and Vanderdos? Are are they 3rd tier players?
I'm not certain what you think I'll offer up to prove a point. I'm damn sure not going to list the litany of free agents available in 2020. Your welcome to check that list if you want. And while you're there notice the players we didn't sign.

If cobb represents a great free agency for you then, well, good luck sir.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Overall: I started off optimistic, but ended feeling kind of meh. B/B+ seems about right.

Blacklock- I worry about the Achilles, and I worry about his lack of strength at the point of attack. But there is no denying his rushing ability, and he seems like a good character player. A-

Greenard- Seems pretty well rounded for an EDGE guy. I don't see a top tier pass rusher, but it was a (late) 3rd. Also seems like a good character player. A-

Heck/4th round trades- First- I liked the willingness to move around. Dropping back to pick up an extra 4th was a great move. Moving up at the cost of two (super late) 7ths was a good move. Heck just doesn't give me a good vibe. Meh. C

Reid- Seems solid enough for where we were in the draft. B

Coulter- Developmental-type WR. Raw, but some intriguing physical talents. B

All-in-all, it could have been a bit better, but it could have also been a lot worse. In my way-too-early opinion, this draft was a win, but not a franchise builder.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
With what he had to work with I thought OB did a solid job. Yeah, I'm as shocked as anyone. Of course what little he had to work with was of his own doing. Very good value with both Blacklock and Greenard, and at positions of need to boot.

Once you get to the middle of the 4th and beyond, you're pretty much looking at projects. I thought Heck was a solid pick for depth at both tackle spots. Reid seems like a pretty good pickup who should have a decent shot of beating some of the JAGs already here. Hearing everything from undervalued, high potential to low floor on Coulter. Playing primarily against a lesser talent pool always worries me. Yeah, I know, Jerry Rice, blah, blah. Still far and few between.

The Texans aren't really big players in free agency, and now the draft class gets cut to the smallest in franchise history. I don't know how you're supposed to build a team when you keep putting these restrictions on yourself.

That said, if you look at this draft with the picks they gave away for players already here, then you add Tunsil, Cooks, Duke and Conley to the mix. In that sense it looks much better, but that eats into your cap as those guys aren't on rookie contracts, and some may be the highest paid at their position in the NFL already. That can limit what you can do as well.

I don't know how much these draftees can be of impact if they don't start having workouts soon. Going to be an interesting rest of the off-season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Every year there have been moves or selections that had us scratching their heads.

Not so much this time. We seem to make value guided selections that addressed obvious needs.

I am curious that a RB was not selected at all

banned1976

sleeper mode
If I were to judge the draft in winner/loser terms only I'd put the Texans in the loser category. They probably fell behind in the AFC South which may be a blessing in disguise for some of us because it appears they only thing a HC has to do to keep his job with the Texans is not finish dead last in the AFC South. Well, another off season like this one...

The Texans landed a rotational defensive lineman in this draft and a LB with red flag injury concerns. And O'Brien gained someone who can help him with Zoom when picking John Reid. Smart kid but he's not long for the NFL. Coulter will be in the doghouse from day one.

It's a D grade for me.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just a lack of volume here. I dont hate the picks.

As a fan it was underwhelming though. Couple these picks with what we haven't done in free agency and I cant find much to be excited about.
How much volume do you want. After trades they had picks in every rd but the 1st/6th/7th , but did have two 4ths.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Overall: I started off optimistic, but ended feeling kind of meh. B/B+ seems about right.

Blacklock- I worry about the Achilles, and I worry about his lack of strength at the point of attack. But there is no denying his rushing ability, and he seems like a good character player. A-

Greenard- Seems pretty well rounded for an EDGE guy. I don't see a top tier pass rusher, but it was a (late) 3rd. Also seems like a good character player. A-

Heck/4th round trades- First- I liked the willingness to move around. Dropping back to pick up an extra 4th was a great move. Moving up at the cost of two (super late) 7ths was a good move. Heck just doesn't give me a good vibe. Meh. C

Reid- Seems solid enough for where we were in the draft. B

Coulter- Developmental-type WR. Raw, but some intriguing physical talents. B

All-in-all, it could have been a bit better, but it could have also been a lot worse. In my way-too-early opinion, this draft was a win, but not a franchise builder.
^^^^
Pretty much this

If healthy Blacklock- A

Greenard B

Heck - C+ Man I wish Devlin was better at his job. Heck has the talent to be a starter at some point.

Reid- B+ Reid is going to upgrade the slot. Smart and instinctive runs well, good quickess/feel. In short everything Hargreaves/L.Jo aren't.

Coulter- inc, Dont know anything about him. However he's big and fast so he's got tools to work with. Does he KR/PR?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Theres only 7 rounds. Tell me OB treats draft capital like gold. We both know he doesn't. He tosses it about like monopoly money.
Like I said, how much do you value late rd picks?

Also if you add Tunsil/Cooks that were traded for using draft picks then they had their full compliment of picks. Including two 2's and two 4's. So yep, they had great depth in this draft including 3/4 immediate starters. Tunsil/Cooks/Blacklock/Greenard.) Not too bad IMHO.

powda

Like I said, how much do you value late rd picks?

Also if you add Tunsil/Cooks that were traded for using draft picks then they had their full compliment of picks. Including two 2's and two 4's. So yep, they had great depth in this draft including 3/4 immediate starters. Tunsil/Cooks/Blacklock/Greenard.) Not too bad IMHO.
I value a steady infusion of cheap young talent. Every franchise needs that pipeline.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I value a steady infusion of cheap young talent. Every franchise needs that pipeline.
I value talent and the Texans have definitely upgraded their talent level..

The front 7 on defense should be much better this yr and the offense should be more potent.

I'm still worried about the secondary. Any secondary that Hargreaves/L. Jo play a significant amount of time in, is a cause for worry.

I'm hoping they can pickup a vet CB like Ryan on a 1 yr deal now that the draft is over and compensatory picks are no longer involved.

BTW they added 2 to 4 of the cheap young guys you're asking for.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Remember when the bears thought trubisky was better than mahomes and Watson. It's the draft. Its projections.

I guess our top two picks are solid picks. Internet says so.

Has our staff developed a draft pick?

We will see. At least they invested in front 7