Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Draft Board Top 7

OK, found it.
CANTON TWP. — If George Saimes doesn’t know what makes a football player, who does? Browns fans will be pleased to hear Saimes is certain Kellen Winslow Jr. is a football player. “He’s the best tight end I ever scouted,” Saimes said Monday after his speech at the Hall of Fame Luncheon Club. “Better than (Jeremy) Shockey. Better than (Tony) Gonzalez.”

Saimes, 62, has come up for air after spending months neck-deep in the draft. He is the lead college scout for the Houston Texans, having worked for the Redskins before that and for the Blesto combine before that. “Winslow was our top-rated player,” Saimes said. “We found out as much as we could about him, but we were in the No. 10 spot. We knew we wouldn’t get him.”

The Browns grabbed Winslow at No. 6 overall and loved what they saw of him in last weekend’s minicamp. Saimes revealed the top players on Houston’s draft board. Winslow was first, followed by his former Miami (Fla.) teammate, safety Sean Taylor, then Iowa left tackle Robert Gallery, then two receivers, Pitt’s Larry Fitzgerald and Texas’ Roy Williams, then South Carolina cornerback Dunta Robinson.

The Texans prioritized drafting a cornerback and talked about trading up with Cleveland to make sure they got Robinson or Virginia Tech’s DeAngelo Hall. “We were fortunate,” Saimes said. “We were convinced either Robinson or Hall would be a good pick. We stayed at No. 10. Hall was gone (to Atlanta at No. , but we got Robinson.”

Nice Article! I had no idea Winsolow was that high on the board, I mean with Joprru last year I thought we were set with TE's 4awhile. I am kind of glad we did not get Winslow tho he seems to be an attitude problem that I don't want to have to hear about all the time.

Just because the Texans had Winslow rated as the top player doesn't mean they would had taken him with the number 1 pick. Casserly was talking to the Giants about moving up to #4 to select Sean Taylor had the deal with the Chargers fell through. I had heard Casserly on ESPN radio say prior to the draft that the Texans had Winslow, Taylor, and Eli Manning as the top 3 players in the draft, but they obviously were not going to select a QB. Knowing that they needed help in the defensive backfield as well as a pash rusher, I don't think Winslow was ever seriously considered an option for the Texans.

well i'm just glad we got the guy we wanted in robinson...we didn't have to trade up to get him...but if all goes as planned this season...we will probably have to trade up in next years draft to select the player we want...and look out for san diego next year...i see them being in the bottom ten but so will the giants...that means san diego will get two first rounders in the top 10...the ability to build a team with those picks are great

year after year the Chargers draft near #1 if not trade it away, yet see what they have to show for it, more #1's. How are they going to pay all these top picks year after year after year? The Chargers blew it by not taking Gallery first overall. The Giants blew it by not taking Sean Taylor and the Lions blew it by not taking Winslow. :grouphug:

well...since the only other charger who is deserving of a high paycheck as of right now is LT i think they'll manage...jammer and davis are good corners but are still under their rookie salary...no one of their o-line is getting a big paycheck and the same can be said about their d-line...gallery would have been a better pick for them i believe too...who knows...maybe brees could be a QB if he just had a reciever and an o-line around him...LT can't do everything

I think that him saying that Robinson was on his board ahead of Hall is just scout speak after he ended up with Robinson. Hall is the better player and the Falcons knew that. Hall can even return kicks for their team if he is not a starter. I hate it when all this "we got the man we wanted all along" speak comes out after the draft. Do they want to make our pick feel wanted to something super special?

we have even heard from outside of the Texans befor and just after the draft that they had Robinson rated higher. There not just blowing smoke up our rear.

SESupergenius said:
I think that him saying that Robinson was on his board ahead of Hall is just scout speak after he ended up with Robinson. Hall is the better player and the Falcons knew that. Hall can even return kicks for their team if he is not a starter. I hate it when all this "we got the man we wanted all along" speak comes out after the draft. Do they want to make our pick feel wanted to something super special?

Obviously none of us actually know how their board was ranked (and frankly no one knows who the better player is either at this point), but like last year with the Rogers/Johnson debate, I could see the Texans breaking with the popular choice and having another player ranked higher. In both the Rogers/Johnson and Hall/Robinson cases the players were both gifted athletes, in the same ball park skill wise. Word was last year that the Texans were put off by Rogers' entourage. Wouldn't be surprised if they were also put off a little by Hall's MeAngelo attitude.

I agree with infantry :sumo: its all about attitiude & the specific skills the player brings that best compliments the Texans system.

Dunta should florish in the Texans system because:

1. He can step right in our zone coverage & islandize the WR

2. His closing & make-up speed is as good or better than Hall

3. Delivers more load & size to the package (plays bigger than he is)

4. Dunta has a great attitude, work ethic and team/family first

5. Tough willing to mix things up coming off screenes, run support & blitz packages.

Combine these skills and attributes with the best combine workout of any CB (DeAngello Hall 40 times slower, did not lift or particiapte in skill testing) its not surprising to me the Texans had Dunta rated highest CB in the 2004 draft. :love:

Lucky said:
Just because the Texans had Winslow rated as the top player doesn't mean they would had taken him with the number 1 pick. Casserly was talking to the Giants about moving up to #4 to select Sean Taylor had the deal with the Chargers fell through. I had heard Casserly on ESPN radio say prior to the draft that the Texans had Winslow, Taylor, and Eli Manning as the top 3 players in the draft, but they obviously were not going to select a QB. Knowing that they needed help in the defensive backfield as well as a pash rusher, I don't think Winslow was ever seriously considered an option for the Texans.

Heard Casserly say a couple of times that there offensive players that he would have no issue taking at number 10. IMO, if a guy(outside Qb) is the number 1 on your board and you at ten, then you take the guy.

geka said:
we have even heard from outside of the Texans befor and just after the draft that they had Robinson rated higher. There not just blowing smoke up our rear.

I bet the 49ers are telling Woods how they had him rated highest. We may be telling the truth, but getting a GM to tell the truth about their pick is like getting a straight anwser out of a polotician. nothing good can come from allowing the media to know your draft board. The player selected is normally "your guy" until around 12 and on. Those guys then get he was very high on our draft board.

McClain was saying for at least a week before the draft that the Texans liked Robinson better than Hall. What he wasn't saying was the Texans would end up with him only because Hall would already be gone. I've been listening to JM for years and this was one of those times when you could tell that he had some good info and he wasn't just blowing smoke. I'm guessing the MeAngelo factor came into play, which is the same reason the Texans would have taken AJ over Rogers last year if both were there at 3.

Hall and Robinson appear to the clear best of the CB bunch. Hall was rated by most pundits as something around a 8-10 pick. Robinson was rated around 10-14. Sure, Hall has better size and he can return punts, but factor in the intangibles and I could see where one could be ranked above the other on draft boards.

but like last year with the Rogers/Johnson debate, I could see the Texans breaking with the popular choice and having another player ranked higher.
And like last year and this year, both the players talked about were ranked higher and picked higher in most media and fan publications. Rogers was ranked higher last year, was picked higher. Hall was ranked higher and picked higher. You guys still don't see a smoke screen huh? Casserly can do no wrong?

SESupergenius said:
And like last year and this year, both the players talked about were ranked higher and picked higher in most media and fan publications. Rogers was ranked higher last year, was picked higher. Hall was ranked higher and picked higher. You guys still don't see a smoke screen huh? Casserly can do no wrong?

Has nothing to do with defending Casserly. If you recall, I wanted AJ over Rogers before the draft last year, partly because I thought he brought a more physical game and partly because of my perception that Rogers was a primadonna. Just don't see how that thinking is so abnormal and unreasonable that the Texans must be just smoke screening.

I was split between Johnson and Rogers, and you seem to be right about the primadonna on him. But I was reserved about taking Johnson because of his hands issues (which turned out to be correct too). My point is we can't keep taking players and saying that that is who we wanted all along, If we had had higher picks, would we have both johnson and Robinson still? I would think not and a general manager isn't going to tell his #1 pick, well we wanted someone else, but you'll do fine. There's more to managing than playing chess, you got to play the press! (that was just too Johnny Cochranish!)

You guys still don't see a smoke screen huh? Casserly can do no wrong?
Not sure who "you guys" are but I wasn't talking about Casserly either. I was talking about how (regardless of GM) I could understand how AJ could be picked before Rogers and Robinson before Hall due to intangibles or other info that no one on this board has access to.

due to intangibles or other info that no one on this board has access to.
Hmm. ok I didn't know you were so "privy" to such information. But I guess you know more than the Lions GM when they picked Rogers and the Falcons GM when the picked Hall over Robinson. Man you should apply for head assitant to the assistant who is the switch board operator for the Texans GM. Please.

Uh... again, my guess (and my point) is that if you polled every GM in the league, it wouldn't have been 31-1 in favor of Rogers or Hall considering evaluation criteria and discriminators that, repeat, "no one on this board" (that would include you, me, or anyone else here) will really ever know. Only the people with access to the war room know for sure what all went into these decisions, and only time will tell who will turn out to be the better pick in either case. Btw, your rancid remarks are wasted on me so save it for somebody else.

I am happy with the Robinson pick. I really don't need to see the draft board, because I know the Texans trook the player that would best fit the team at this point in time.

Uh... again, my guess (and my point) is that if you polled every GM in the league, it wouldn't have been 31-1 in favor of Rogers or Hall
That must be due to your "privy" information. :rofl: So if the Lions and the Falcons picked different then us then that already makes 2 clubs right there that differ from us, not just one. So I have no idea where you get this 31 figure from as your logic is flawed and it follows no basis other than what you hear out of Casserly. Of course he's going to say we picked the right one, what the heck do you expect him to say.

I have no "privy" information. I said it was my "guess" and that "I could see how" a few times... you know... it was an opinion.

Some constructive feedback you can take or leave: I know you are an adult and it's obvious you know a little bit about football, but at times your board manner and how you choose to respond to various posters (not just me) is what I'm used to seeing from my kid's ninth grade buddies. Not trying to condescend, it's just what I see. Like I said, your wise@ss responses are lost on me so try someone else. Carry on.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
1.Kellen Winslow Jr.
2.Sean Taylor
3.Robert Gallery
4.Larry Fitzgerald
5.Roy Williams
6.Dunta Robinson
7.DeAngelo Hall

Dude get a grip :) Dunta Robinson was the only player still available when the Texans selelcted @ #10 from this draft board.

What really would have been interesting if ALL these players had been drafted before the Texans - what do you think Casserly would do?

Now this is pure speculation on my part but I think if Dunta Robinson was not available the Texans would have traded down, added picks and still selected Babin probably even earlier than they did. :grouphug:

Back