Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans continue to sign only Christians...Welcome Christian Kirksey

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
So Kirksey plays Mike and Cunningham goes to Will in Lovie's 4-3?

Killer Bee

Waterboy
McKinney was already a bad scheme fit for Lovie's defense, so surely now the writing is on the wall that he'll be cut. That would free up another $6.4M on the cap. Unless its a player for a player, I doubt they can trade him, maybe a 6th or a 7th.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
McKinney was already a bad scheme fit for Lovie's defense, so surely now the writing is on the wall that he'll be cut. That would free up another $6.4M on the cap. Unless its a player for a player, I doubt they can trade him, maybe a 6th or a 7th.
McKinney gets no love here. He’s a former 2nd round pick & a pro bowler. We should be able to move him for 3rd or a 4th.

I agree he’s overpaid for what he was capable of doing the last couple of years, but he ain’t no scrub, or JAG.

Killer Bee

Waterboy
McKinney gets no love here. He’s a former 2nd round pick & a pro bowler. We should be able to move him for 3rd or a 4th.

I agree he’s overpaid for what he was capable of doing the last couple of years, but he ain’t no scrub, or JAG.
I don't think he's a scrub, but I just can't see him going for a 3rd or a 4th. Not this year, not coming off an injury, and not with his cap hit in an austere environment. There's a lot of quality players being cut across the league right now. Now our cap situation is better than most, which shouldn't tip our hand that he's destined to be cut like a lot of players are, a la Kwon Alexander on the Saints. We'll see.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

Agreed. I think a mid 4-5 should be reasonable.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
10 missed tackles , 86% catch rate, and 5 TDs allowed?
Great. He'll fit right in.

What's your source? Those are stats I'm not accustomed to looking at and would like to compare them to Cunningham.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
What's your source? Those are stats I'm not accustomed to looking at and would like to compare them to Cunningham.
From the link provided by Toro

You need to be a paid subscriber to get the raw data's from PFF

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Agreed. I think a mid 4-5 should be reasonable.
NFL teams will just wait for the McKinney types to be cut...decent with a mismatched contract...there been maybe two or three non-QB trades this off-season, none for anything of real value.

banned1976

sleeper mode

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
The off-season is young. What's real value?

flipping late-round picks not significant value, for me at least

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
NFL teams will just wait for the McKinney types to be cut...decent with a mismatched contract...there been maybe two or three non-QB trades this off-season, none for anything of real value.
Getting value would be great.

If it doesn't happen then you move on.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
They go from horrible with JJ to OK with Kirksey and no JJ?
A defence with JJ Watt struggles for gap integrity. Prime JJ going for 20 sacks a season scares the O enough to make up for that, however older JJ becomes the weakness in the run game, especially now that we’ve moved on from the halcyon days of Wilfork and Reader clogging things in the middle.

If we get a 4-3 front with some players who fit the scheme, teams can’t just run inside of JJ Watt as he takes his man wide, we don’t have McKinney and Cunningham with the same weakness in coverage over the middle, offering an easy release valve for the QB.

I can see where we have a mediocre front 7 who stick to their assignments, instead of a mediocre front 7 who don’t.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
A defence with JJ Watt struggles for gap integrity. Prime JJ going for 20 sacks a season scares the O enough to make up for that, however older JJ becomes the weakness in the run game, especially now that we’ve moved on from the halcyon days of Wilfork and Reader clogging things in the middle.

If we get a 4-3 front with some players who fit the scheme, teams can’t just run inside of JJ Watt as he takes his man wide, we don’t have McKinney and Cunningham with the same weakness in coverage over the middle, offering an easy release valve for the QB.

I can see where we have a mediocre front 7 who stick to their assignments, instead of a mediocre front 7 who don’t.
And a mediocre, at best, LB fixes all of that? JJ Watt freelancing wasn't the reason their run D was atrocious. Despite leading the league in tackles, Cunningham missed his run fits so much it was unreal. You still don't have anyone clogging up the middle, and now you don't even have JJ, who was still top 6 in TFL, with Omenihu being the only lineman with a third of JJ's total.

You can buy into that JJ hurts the defense narrative all you want, and yes there are times when it does, but overall it's a load of horsecrap. And taking away JJ and adding Christian Kirksey doesn't make it better.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
And a mediocre, at best, LB fixes all of that? JJ Watt freelancing wasn't the reason their run D was atrocious. Despite leading the league in tackles, Cunningham missed his run fits so much it was unreal. You still don't have anyone clogging up the middle, and now you don't even have JJ, who was still top 6 in TFL, with Omenihu being the only lineman with a third of JJ's total.

You can buy into that JJ hurts the defense narrative all you want, and yes there are times when it does, but overall it's a load of horsecrap. And taking away JJ and adding Christian Kirksey doesn't make it better.
I don’t see it being Kirksey in isolation. I think RAC’s D has regressed season on season for 3 or 4 years now. I don’t think JJ Watt has played at the level you think he has during that time, but I do think he was still playing the same way he did when he was going for the sack record.
I’m not really sold on Lovie Smith as DC either as it happens, but I think this 1 year roster build can set us up for the future to play disciplined, to not let every RB with a pulse run 200 yards on us, and maybe slow down TE’s also.

Easy to get mixed up between what JJ was his first 5 years and what he was more recently. The on field result from the D as a whole, there isn’t much room to get worse.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I also like the thread title. However, it would be more appropriately named
Texans Sign Two of the Worst PFF-Graded Players in NFL Free Agency (flurrysports.org)

Come on Nick. I expect better.
I would hardly take Kirksey's PFF grade as a legitimate evaluation of his future value. He underwent a surgical repair following rupture of his pectoralis major tendon. The Packers were ultra conservative with his rehab. He returned near the end of last season still having only partially rehabbed his injury.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I don’t see it being Kirksey in isolation. I think RAC’s D has regressed season on season for 3 or 4 years now. I don’t think JJ Watt has played at the level you think he has during that time, but I do think he was still playing the same way he did when he was going for the sack record.
I’m not really sold on Lovie Smith as DC either as it happens, but I think this 1 year roster build can set us up for the future to play disciplined, to not let every RB with a pulse run 200 yards on us, and maybe slow down TE’s also.

Easy to get mixed up between what JJ was his first 5 years and what he was more recently. The on field result from the D as a whole, there isn’t much room to get worse.
JJ was still in the top 6 in the league in TFL. That was twice as much as anyone else on the team (Cunningham), and almost 2/3 more than any other D-lineman.

Yeah, his sack numbers were nearly nothing, but it still led the team.

And how much of RAC’s scheme is effected by it being strip of talent? Reader gone, JD gone. Not saying JD should have been kept, but they never replaced him. Trading 3rds away for scrubs, signing the Murray’s of the world to stupid money. All of that matters and makes an impact. Piss poor coverage means the ball is leaving early, resulting in missed sack opportunities. No other pass rusher other than JJ doesn’t help either.

No, JJ isn’t playing at his former DPOY level, but he’s still very effective. And you do have to consider he had no other help on this defense. None, nada, zilch. Hard to appear to be effective when defenses can game plan you out and not have to worry about anyone else.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I imagine Lovie said, “What I really need is a LB who could...”

Caserio said, “This guy didn’t have a great season, but he fits the Bill.”

Lovie said, “O helyeah!!”

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Kirksey was "bad at everything".
PFF grade 46.0
Ranked 85th out of 92

PFF Grade 48.3
Played in 2 games and missed 5 tackles

And then, there was 2020 , when he was ranked 85th again.

That's 3 consecutive years.