Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans and the 2019 Season....

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
NFL season is over and I guess now is as good as any to begin the 2019 talks. I read a cool little article by Dan Graziano, ESPN in which he lays out 10 predictions for the 2019 season. Texans were the discussion in points 2 and 10.

02. He predicts the Texans will sign LeVeon Bell. He figures Bell won't need much encouragement to sign with the Texans b/c he'll be joking the tandem of Watson and Hopkins. I could see that. He predicts the deal will be along the lines of Gurly's deal....so I would expect the Texans to offer a contract in the neighborhood of 4 Yrs @ 56-60M with a big signing bonus and maybe half guaranteed. I wouldn't be opposed to this either since I personally view Bell as a difference maker with this offense.

10. I guess based on the move to sign Bell, probably another outstanding off-season by our very own Gaine, and another solid draft.....he's got the Texans losing to the Saints in Super Bowl LIV. If this team gets to the Super Bowl, I don't think the Saints would stop them b/c it would be highly likely they beat some dang good teams to get there.

This is pretty dang positive and was caught off guard when he had the Texans in the Super Bowl. I guess we can all chat it up as to how Cal, Gaine and OB make this happen.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
NFL season is over and I guess now is as good as any to begin the 2019 talks. I read a cool little article by Dan Graziano, ESPN in which he lays out 10 predictions for the 2019 season. Texans were the discussion in points 2 and 10.

02. He predicts the Texans will sign LeVeon Bell. He figures Bell won't need much encouragement to sign with the Texans b/c he'll be joking the tandem of Watson and Hopkins. I could see that. He predicts the deal will be along the lines of Gurly's deal....so I would expect the Texans to offer a contract in the neighborhood of 4 Yrs @ 56-60M with a big signing bonus and maybe half guaranteed. I wouldn't be opposed to this either since I personally view Bell as a difference maker with this offense.

10. I guess based on the move to sign Bell, probably another outstanding off-season by our very own Gaine, and another solid draft.....he's got the Texans losing to the Saints in Super Bowl LIV. If this team gets to the Super Bowl, I don't think the Saints would stop them b/c it would be highly likely they beat some dang good teams to get there.

This is pretty dang positive and was caught off guard when he had the Texans in the Super Bowl. I guess we can all chat it up as to how Cal, Gaine and OB make this happen.
IF you get past the Pats, then you should win the SB.
A lot would have to change from 2018 for that to happen.
Here's my list:-
1. We would have to have a good year in regards to injury down time.
2. Our oline woes would need to be resolved.
3. Watson would have to make a nice big step up in his developement which would include learning to get rid of the ball faster and taking what opposing defenses give him (first downs are a priority).
4. Our running game will need a solid upgrade.
5. The defensive secondary needs an upgrade.
6. Coaching is going to need to be smarter - this will be easier if the previous points come to fruition.
If these criteria are met, the Texans will be very effective and hard to beat.
Is it possible? I guess, but the offseason looms as being crucial to this plan.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
3. Watson would have to make a nice big step up in his developement which would include learning to get rid of the ball faster and taking what opposing defenses give him (first downs are a priority).
6. Coaching is going to need to be smarter - this will be easier if the previous points come to fruition.
Biggest progress Watson could get next season....OB shutting down those long developing plays until he has an OL that would give such plays time to develop. I'd also be very happy if the receivers would be taught how to cut their routes and find dead zones to sit and wait for the ball. Thomas was very good at this, the rest of the receivers run the designed routes as if Watson had all the time in the world to find them 30 yards downfield.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Agree with all points and if BoB is worthy of being an NFL coach and Gaine can pull a little magic out of his hat like he did before I can see all being possible. At first I was against signing Bell because of his price tag but the more I think about it the more ok I would be. BoB likes to run them up the middle, no idea what Kelly likes so we'll just go with what we've seen, ok fine then get a RB that can bulldoze his way through. Watson himself said that he was looking for the big plays to much in the early games and now that he has had a bad game in the playoffs he might settle down a bit more and realize sometimes the assured 5 yards are worth more than the possible 15 yards. Nothing against him, he's just a young QB so he'll learn and I think learn fast.

About the only thing that coaching or fresh talent can't help with is injuries and that's just a risk any team takes. Yeah if Watson goes down we are screwed but no more screwed than Saints would be if Brees went down or Pats if Brady went down. All this makes me believe in what I've been saying more than ever, BoB earned a one year stay of execution by going from 0-3 to 11-5 this season so I'm willing to see how 2019 plays out. If we don't make some noise this season though, maybe not a SB but at least getting to the AFC championship game, then yeah I'll agree time to move on. Of course the real question is if Cal would agree to that.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Biggest progress Watson could get next season....OB shutting down those long developing plays until he has an OL that would give such plays time to develop. I'd also be very happy if the receivers would be taught how to cut their routes and find dead zones to sit and wait for the ball. Thomas was very good at this, the rest of the receivers run the designed routes as if Watson had all the time in the world to find them 30 yards downfield.
He also needs to improve his mental clock and be more willing to go to the checkdown and take 4 instead of looking 15+. How fast can he recognize post snap? He neeeds to make a decision within 1.5 secs of snap

We really need a healthy Fuller

I sometimes wonder if the WR coach understands the system well enough to teach it. Routes change depending on what the defense shows, QB and WR's need to see the same thing. Brady is a coach on the field and will teach the WR's or they're gone. Watson needs to be that, but it's gonna take time. Confidence is huge

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
He also needs to improve his mental clock and be more willing to go to the checkdown and take 4 instead of looking 15+. How fast can he recognize post snap? He neeeds to make a decision within 1.5 secs of snap

We really need a healthy Fuller

I sometimes wonder if the WR coach understands the system well enough to teach it. Routes change depending on what the defense shows, QB and WR's need to see the same thing. Brady is a coach on the field and will teach the WR's or they're gone. Watson needs to be that, but it's gonna take time. Confidence is huge
You know you can replace "WR" in that with pretty much any other two letters in football coaching. :troll:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I have zero confidence an OB led team will win the SB, but I do love surprises. In jest, I have commented we'll need to wait on our XFL team to win a championship in Houston. Neither will likely happen.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I have zero confidence an OB led team will win the SB, but I do love surprises. In jest, I have commented we'll need to wait on our XFL team to win a championship in Houston. Neither will likely happen.
We had the Gamblers and even the Oilers when you were a Coastie?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The Rams & Pats in no small way each got to the SB because of the relatively weak divisoins they played in and that's not the case anymoe for the AFC South which of course had two teams in this years P/Os.
It's also very unlikely that we sign FA Bell this year.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Agree with all points and if BoB is worthy of being an NFL coach and Gaine can pull a little magic out of his hat like he did before I can see all being possible. At first I was against signing Bell because of his price tag but the more I think about it the more ok I would be. BoB likes to run them up the middle, no idea what Kelly likes so we'll just go with what we've seen, ok fine then get a RB that can bulldoze his way through. Watson himself said that he was looking for the big plays to much in the early games and now that he has had a bad game in the playoffs he might settle down a bit more and realize sometimes the assured 5 yards are worth more than the possible 15 yards. Nothing against him, he's just a young QB so he'll learn and I think learn fast.

About the only thing that coaching or fresh talent can't help with is injuries and that's just a risk any team takes. Yeah if Watson goes down we are screwed but no more screwed than Saints would be if Brees went down or Pats if Brady went down. All this makes me believe in what I've been saying more than ever, BoB earned a one year stay of execution by going from 0-3 to 11-5 this season so I'm willing to see how 2019 plays out. If we don't make some noise this season though, maybe not a SB but at least getting to the AFC championship game, then yeah I'll agree time to move on. Of course the real question is if Cal would agree to that.
As far as the running game is concerned, the Pats used an old school style of game with a big mobile FB making holes for the RB - Develin the FB did a great job this year and showed how valuable the FB position is in building an effective ground game.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Which one were you not sure about?
I was wondering if any of the various start up league teams had won a championship. The female football team the H-Town Cyclones did. Does anyone actually remember the all female football league existed? Off football, I was a big fan of the Comets for a while until they fell apart.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I was wondering if any of the various start up league teams had won a championship. The female football team the H-Town Cyclones did. Does anyone actually remember the all female football league existed? Off football, I was a big fan of the Comets for a while until they fell apart.
Does the lingerie bowl count?

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
It was good to watch from a coaching aspect. I thought Belichek did a masterful job.
This is true. The Rams were taken (or took themselves) out of the deception and jet sweep game on offense. And while largely conservative offense from the Pats, exploited the Edelmen and Gronk match-up problems and were able to line-up run the ball in the 4th quarter.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What do you consider fixed? Full of all stars and pro bowlers?
I consider fixed for Watson to not be sackked 62 times and the run game being much improved. Say Watson being sacked 30-35 times and not having to pull a Houdini just to get a pass off.

It's going to take 2 to 3 new guys to fix the OL. Something like what the Colts did.

What would you consider fixed?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I consider fixed for Watson to not be sackked 62 times and the run game being much improved. Say Watson being sacked 30-35 times and not having to pull a Houdini just to get a pass off.

It's going to take 2 to 3 new guys to fix the OL. Something like what the Colts did.

What would you consider fixed?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because it was the same story with the OL. It was terrible.
He did the best he could with what he had to work with. I wanted Solder/Norwell but it didn't happen for various reasons.

This yr with a full compliment of draft picks and FA $$$$, I expect this problem to be solved.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He did the best he could with what he had to work with. I wanted Solder/Norwell but it didn't happen for various reasons.

This yr with a full compliment of draft picks and FA $$$$, I expect this problem to be solved.
Solder, Norwell and Trent Brown didn't happen. Seantrel, a guy who hasn't played meaningfully in 3 years and sucked when he did, happened. Moving Davenport to RT and playing Rankin at LT happened.

I hope you are right but my opinion is O'Brien is the problem.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Imagine this place if a BOB coached SB team only scored 3 points like the young super coach McVay's team did.
If Bill O'Brien was only in his second season here, but salvaged a QB many were calling a bust, posted a 26-9 record, and a SB appearance in his first two seasons.. I wouldn't give a crap if he was shutout in the SB, I'd still be doing backflips over the prospect of our future.

Bill O'Brien is NOT Sean McVay.. can we please let him get to a title game (SB or Conference championship, hell just a big playoff win at this point), before we start comparing him to other coaches who have. Frankly Bill O'Brien hasn't done jack crap in this league other then rally the troops and save his ass a couple of seasons in a mediocre division and then turtle dick in every "big game" during his tenure here.

You know who Bill O'Brien needs to be compared to right now? The likes of Marvin Lewis.. THAT is the coaching tier he's really in right now.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That wasn't your line going into last season.
I believe I also said I wanted Solder/Norwell.

He chose to go another way.

I still disagree with his philosophy of lets get a bunch of backups strategy. Once Solder was off the table Gaine changed his strategy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Bill O'Brien was only in his second season here, but salvaged a QB many were calling a bust, posted a 26-9 record, and a SB appearance in his first two seasons.. I wouldn't give a crap if he was shutout in the SB, I'd still be doing backflips over the prospect of our future.

Bill O'Brien is NOT Sean McVay.. can we please let him get to a title game (SB or Conference championship, hell just a big playoff win at this point), before we start comparing him to other coaches who have. Frankly Bill O'Brien hasn't done jack crap in this league other then rally the troops and save his ass a couple of seasons in a mediocre division and then turtle dick in every "big game" during his tenure here.

You know who Bill O'Brien needs to be compared to right now? The likes of Marvin Lewis.. THAT is the coaching tier he's really in right now.
Depends on what role you think Rick Smith played in this. Notice how the Rams signed a bunch of top tier FA's and traded for top tier talent. None of this did Rick Smith do during his tenure here.

Hopefully the D.Thomas trade is a sign of a change in the philosophy in the Texans org.

11-5 was the 2nd most wins in franchise history. Go listen to Cosell on 610 podcast, he pretty much echos my sentiments.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

I ruffled a few feathers a while back when I made the same comparison.

:coffee:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hence you pimping him like shag carpet and curb feelers on a Cadillac.
Nothing is going to change your mind. Particularly one of the most respected minds in all of football. Not Cosell/Not Glazier/Not Rappaport. Certainly not me.

It would help if you would listen to these respected journalists. You might learn something. Nah, that will never happen.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Nothing is going to change your mind. Particularly one of the most respected minds in all of football. Not Cosell/Not Glazier/Not Rappaport. Certainly not me.

It would help if you would listen to these respected journalists. You might learn something. Nah, that will never happen.
I listen to them and take them into consideration. I don't take them as dieties when they happen to agree with me like you. Or when they don't.

Hey, try this, email him as his biggest fan and ask how many Texans games he watched this season.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I listen to them and take them into consideration. I don't take them as dieties when they happen to agree with me like you. Or when they don't.

Hey, try this, email him as his biggest fan and ask how many Texans games he watched this season.
Yeah, outside of listening to the game broadcasts.. I rarely listen to their opinions anymore.. I just pay attention for breaking reports (reports based on facts) and that's it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I'm not his biggest fan.

I just try to learn from people that know more than I do and people with longterm high level connections within the NFL. People like Lombardi, he's friends with BB and knows all things Pats.

Something the smartest man in the room cant ever allow himself do do. Is little mans disease real?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I'm not his biggest fan.

I just try to learn from people that know more than I do and people with longterm high level connections within the NFL. People like Lombardi, he's friends with BB and knows all things Pats.

Something the smartest man in the room cant ever allow himself do do. Is little mans disease real?
Awe, another 4 year old insult. It'd be cute if it wasn't pathetic.