Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 1.3 Pick Derek Stingley Jr.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
freshmen year competition

I can draft a guy who played players from Ohio State, Miami, Marshall, Ucf, Houston, Tulsa, East Carolina, Connecticut, South Florida, Temple, Memphis x2, Boston college
or
I could draft the guy who’s locked down nfl rookie receivers from Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc, also while lining up against a top 5 pick in practice everyday.

Sauce had 3 picks against that competition while Stingley had 6. I’m thrilled with our pick. A lot of hype around sauce and he still has to prove himself
Stingley has been injured, one a career threatening injury. Sauce has been on the field.
How many TD's did Sauce give up his entire college career? How many did Stingley give up? INT's are great, but they don't automatically result in points. TD's given up do.

DanielTx

Veteran
Stingley has been injured, one a career threatening injury. Sauce has been on the field.
How many TD's did Sauce give up his entire college career? How many did Stingley give up? INT's are great, but they don't automatically result in points. TD's given up do.
I could flip the question back to you. How many nfl prospects did Sauce play against at his position? I’m not knocking the kid but I would rather take a high risk/bust than a mid risk/bust. Stingley competition included Kyle Pitts (Atlanta), Tee Higgins (Bengals), Justyn Ross (Chiefs), Ceedee Lamb (Cowboys), George Pickens (Steelers), Collin Johnson (Giants), Jameson Williams (Lions) and Devonta Smith (Eagles) where he didn’t have his best game. Youtube is your best friend. Frank Gore a star studded rb coming out of Miami and had a career threatening injury? 20 years later, he’s a hall of famer. It’s certain traits you look for in prospects. Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall… it is defined by those who fought, fell and then rose again. Stingley has a concerning injury but he isn’t handicapped from it. What guys should be furious about is the Texans passing up Jordan Davis for Kenyon Green? Who made that call lol

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Very true.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I could flip the question back to you. How many nfl prospects did Sauce play against at his position? I’m not knocking the kid but I would rather take a high risk/bust than a mid risk/bust. Stingley competition included Kyle Pitts (Atlanta), Tee Higgins (Bengals), Justyn Ross (Chiefs), Ceedee Lamb (Cowboys), George Pickens (Steelers), Collin Johnson (Giants), Jameson Williams (Lions) and Devonta Smith (Eagles) where he didn’t have his best game. Youtube is your best friend. Frank Gore a star studded rb coming out of Miami and had a career threatening injury? 20 years later, he’s a hall of famer. It’s certain traits you look for in prospects. Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall… it is defined by those who fought, fell and then rose again. Stingley has a concerning injury but he isn’t handicapped from it. What guys should be furious about is the Texans passing up Jordan Davis for Kenyon Green? Who made that call lol
I was told that didn't matter because it was before the NFL, before the injury. If you look for my post members said that it didn't matter what he did in school. That he has to do it in the NFL.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
We've yet to enjoy Green's impact on the OL, so it's a bit unfair to make that assessment.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
much as a Keynon Green homer as I am, Jordan Davis is far more elite as a prospect. Regardless who’s sitting in that office on Kirby, they’ve choked early in drafts and have since inception.
I wanted Caserio to pick Neal at #3 and Davis at #12 originally. Lovie decided that Stingley was the pick at 3 and if healthy that's a great pick. It's kinda early to say Davis will be better than Green, since Green hasn't played yet. Green is hardly chopped liver. I think he's going to be a great player in his own right.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
much as a Keynon Green homer as I am, Jordan Davis is far more elite as a prospect. Regardless who’s sitting in that office on Kirby, they’ve choked early in drafts and have since inception.
That's too general and too easy to contradict - for example when did anybody ever second-guess the decision to draft with their top pick the great Andre Johnson ? And then there was this other guy JJ something from Wisconsin ? Gotta be careful with those broad generalities there BL. (BTW BL - "Juice Drop Hazy IPA" by Brekenridge Brewery is a great IPA so check it out if you can find it).
Yes Davis is probably more elite than Green but the complaint 'bout him as I recall was he's got to come off of the field in passing situations, but then also drafting any offensive guard that high is controversial with many of us but apparently Casserio & Lovie felt he was the best OL in the Draft on their Board to help them improve their rushing game which is an imperative for young Davis Mills to advance and improve his game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's too general and too easy to contradict - for example when did anybody ever second-guess the decision to draft with their top pick the great Andre Johnson ? And then there was this other guy JJ something from Wisconsin ? Gotta be careful with those broad generalities there BL. (BTW BL - "Juice Drop Hazy IPA" by Brekenridge Brewery is a great IPA so check it out if you can find it).
Yes Davis is probably more elite than Green but the complaint 'bout him as I recall was he's got to come off of the field in passing situations, but then also drafting any offensive guard that high is controversial with many of us but apparently Casserio & Lovie felt he was the best OL in the Draft on their Board to help them improve their rushing game which is an imperative for young Davis Mills to advance and improve his game.
Totally agree, I even suggested drafting Sauce and Davis then trading back into the 1st for Green or Zion.

Thanks for the IPA tip. Can you pick this up at HEB?

michaelm

vox nihili
A problem for whom? Not to be too critical, putting this in frame-by-frame, there's no sign that Stingley looked for the ball. Pass interference?

I don't see PA at all. I'd be pissed if he got flagged for that in a game. And I'm obnoxiously fair minded when it comes to penalties on my teams. It's a curse lol

The defender has equal rights to the ball in that scenario in my opinion.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Kenyon and Jordan face off in primetime on 11/3. Let's reserve judgement until then.
Sorry but I never hinge one’s draft grade on a single game or match-up. Position wise elite nose eats guards for lunch, and I hear Jordan has one hell of an appetite. Furthermore, if we can freeze these two teams rosters (Eagles/Texans) and see how well they’ve done over course of last few drafts, evaluating talent, it’s not even close. Not an Eagle fan but they have done a real nice job rebuilding after Super Bowl, taken some lumps, but navigated pathway back to post season talk.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I wanted Caserio to pick Neal at #3 and Davis at #12 originally. Lovie decided that Stingley was the pick at 3 and if healthy that's a great pick. It's kinda early to say Davis will be better than Green, since Green hasn't played yet. Green is hardly chopped liver. I think he's going to be a great player in his own right.
You were absolutely right, which why any one of us given the title could execute just as well if not better.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Even a blind squirrel catches a nut or two. Where they really that hard of decisions? I think not.

Really digging the local craft brewery’s offerings as of late. Don’t want to mention names, or miss anyone, but there is a plethora of great, fresh, spicy, citrusy IPA’s all around this great city we call home.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Sorry but I never hinge one’s draft grade on a single game or match-up. Position wise elite nose eats guards for lunch
Yes, let's not have facts get in the way of our opinions.

In the past, Davis has been a two down player. Green has always been a three down player. While I don't need to predict which guy will have the better career, I always had Green as the superior collegiate player and better professional prospect.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Even a blind squirrel catches a nut or two. Where they really that hard of decisions? I think not.
I dunno BL maybe ask the Detroit Lions who took the other receiver instead of Johnson or the ten teams who passed on JJ
that question about blind squirrels and nuts ?
Really digging the local craft brewery’s offerings as of late. Don’t want to mention names, or miss anyone, but there is a plethora of great, fresh, spicy, citrusy IPA’s all around this great city we call home.
Yes Sir we have some great local brewers that have some deliciuos citrusy IPA products with Buffalo Bayous Crush City Mango high up among the leaders !

DanielTx

Veteran
We've yet to enjoy Green's impact on the OL, so it's a bit unfair to make that assessment.
If no one else is willing to say it, I will. Kenyon Green should have been a late first - second round pick! It’s nice to see him finishhis college career as a two-time consensus All-American.

Green at the combine had 20 reps. Out of the top 18 line men. He ranked #17 in the drill. Our star studded rookie rb knocked out 21 reps. He scored a 5.98 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 523 out of 1298 OG from 1987 to 2022.

Kenyon might be a good player but he wasn’t top 15 in this draft. I get it, the best line men were taking top 10 so maybe the Texans felt pressured but still, I need to see if he can play or not. I have my doubts about him

Texian

Hall of Fame
If no one else is willing to say it, I will. Kenyon Green should have been a late first - second round pick! It’s nice to see him finishhis college career as a two-time consensus All-American.

Green at the combine had 20 reps. Out of the top 18 line men. He ranked #17 in the drill. Our star studded rookie rb knocked out 21 reps. He scored a 5.98 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 523 out of 1298 OG from 1987 to 2022.

Kenyon might be a good player but he wasn’t top 15 in this draft. I get it, the best line men were taking top 10 so maybe the Texans felt pressured but still, I need to see if he can play or not. I have my doubts about him
I think "underperforming OG with less than average NFL athleticism" is the best best way to describe Kenyon Green. I've often said that this Kirby Boardroom would somehow find a way to screw up the Watson trade and they certainly started off with a humdinger.

Im in the opinion that we needed more OL help than DL help...especially if we were going to see if Mills is our qb of the future...and since we went DB with the first pick vs picking one of the stud OL's in the draft (Neal or Ike) it was a no brainer to get best available OL with 2nd pick...I was hoping Green or Zion and was happy with the Green pick...he was a stud at A&M and there were no red flags to indicate otherwise.

beerlover

Hall of Fame

In the past, Davis has been a two down player. Green has always been a three down player. While I don't need to predict which guy will have the better career, I always had Green as the superior collegiate player and better professional prospect.
this isn’t College or High School anymore. We’re talking Big Leagues, NFL, some players are late bloomers. Greene has been excellent for a very, very long time. True Jordan is less developed and raw compared to Greene as a football player now, but I see flashes of Casey Hampton. Dominant interior lineman, possibly the rarest of all. Athletically he already blows everybody out of the water, his RAS scores elite, building block of the future.

Last edited:
Hard to truly judge Davis on talent alone...he played with a very talented D Line with a lot of big names on there helping him out....at some point you have to stop drafting on potential and start drafting players or else you'll have a team full of busts that you were hoping would pan out and play to their potential.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Is this the time I pull up all of Texian's bad draft takes?
Only if you pull up all of yours. Weren't you a BIG Mantei Teo and a Louis Nix guy? :)Maybe you can also point out why describing Green's Combine performance as underperforming and less than average NFL athleticism is wrong?

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame

Some folks still don't understand how the Champion Georgia Bulldogs defense works and operates. Texans will rue the day they traded back from #13 to pass on Jordan Davis to take Kenyon Green at #15. But hey it's the Texans, its what we have come to know and expect. We're dealing with assistant coach THINK, not GM think, but then we don't really have a real GM either.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Weren't you a BIG Mantei Teo and a Louis Nix guy?
LOL! Here's my fanboy Nix takes.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but look up the 2013 BCS championship game. Nix was handled by Barrett Jones. Nix has talent, but the 1st round talk was a joke. He went right around where he should have as a 3rd round pick. Hopefully, Nix will tie up blockers so Cushing and Co. can make tackles, rather than run himself out of plays.
This is the same game where Alabama put up 500+ yards of offense, 265 yards on the ground, and scored on pretty much every possession? Right?

Nix didn't tie up blockers. If he had, LBs would have been able to slow Lacy and the Bama backs down. He tried to be a penetrator. Often times not even seeing the back run by him. What you're calling dominant by slipping by a blocker is Nix actually running himself out of the hole. He has poor technique and he tries to do too much.

It's not my fault the dominant Louis Nix wasn't drafted until the middle of the 3rd. It's not my fault that 7 DTs went ahead of him. Clearly, he has the ability to do a job in the NFL. That job will be to clog the middle and free up LBs. I don't think he did that enough in college, and apparently some teams agreed with me.
I got buried by everyone, @xtruroyaltyx and @Carr Bombed specifically. All I did was say the guy wasn't a 1st round talent and was a project that needed to change his game.

I don't remember having a take on Te'o, because I didn't think he was on the Texansradar.

When I'm talking about your bad takes, it's always Combine heros that couldn't actually play. You know what I'm talking about. I may have kidded you about Bortles, but he was a 1st rounder on everyone's board. It's that you could never quit on Blake when it was obvious he wasn't going to be a good QB that was strange.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
LOL! Here's my fanboy Nix takes.

I got buried by everyone, @xtruroyaltyx and @Carr Bombed specifically. All I did was say the guy wasn't a 1st round talent and was a project that needed to change his game.

I don't remember having a take on Te'o, because I didn't think he was on the Texansradar.

When I'm talking about your bad takes, it's always Combine heros that couldn't actually play. You know what I'm talking about. I may have kidded you about Bortles, but he was a 1st rounder on everyone's board. It's that you could never quit on Blake when it was obvious he wasn't going to be a good QB that was strange.
Both of you were wrong then and still wrong now.

Nix’s issue wasn’t game or talent related and had everything to do with between the ears.

I won’t debate a dead guy anymore though. RIP.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I dunno BL maybe ask the Detroit Lions who took the other receiver instead of Johnson or the ten teams who passed on JJ
that question about blind squirrels and nuts ?

Yes Sir we have some great local brewers that have some deliciuos citrusy IPA products with Buffalo Bayous Crush City Mango high up among the leaders !
I gotta give that a try.

Sounds really good.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think "underperforming OG with less than average NFL athleticism" is the best best way to describe Kenyon Green. I've often said that this Kirby Boardroom would somehow find a way to screw up the Watson trade and they certainly started off with a humdinger.
He got a concussion and hasn't played, how can you make this determination?

I liked Davis more than Green, but I think Green is going to be really good for a long time. If you're hung up on the 20 reps thingy, don't be.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
At times Stingley looked really good last night. His play also looked disappointing. His better play was when he was covering WRs running vertical sideline routes. WRs making quick cuts across the middle Stingley was not nearly as sharp. This gives reason for concern.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
WRs making quick cuts across the middle Stingley was not nearly as sharp. This gives reason for concern.
It looked like Stingley didn't know what his coverage responsibilities were on a lot of plays. And he wasn't the only one. Preseason is the time to challenge the youngsters, but Lovie needs to keep it simpler during the games that count.