Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 1.3 Pick Derek Stingley Jr.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Basically, the non-Kool-Aid variety.

I think what it all boils down to is I do more research, read a lot more, have a good memory, am an independent and critical thinker, do not engage in groupthink, following the herd and mob mentality. I try to get it right, I am objective, I do not have a bias, I do not engage in wishful thinking, hoping, wanting something to be true, and can recognize when someone is trying to blow smoke up my hiney. :)

1. Kubiak did have full control over all player personnel. There are enough interviews out there where he states such. Use your Google.

2. Kubiak did recommend Rick Smith to Bob McNair. There are media reports report so, if only you would take the time to research them. Again Google time.

3. Check out the Rappoport news reporting Texans management has too much say in player personnel and the draft.

4. Regarding Caserio's first year, his decisions are well documented: https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/nick-caserio-new-gm.115527/page-44#post-3210544

4b. Texans started 2021 season with 54 contracts and $6MM OVER the cap.

If the Texans had made the following moves they would've been $48MM UNDER the cap. They would not of had to resort to mortgaging the future to the tune of OVER $35MM in contract restructuring, $37MM in Dead Cap in 2021 and would've added a 2nd rd draft pick.
B. McKinneyRelease$7.00m
D. JohnsonRelease$6.90m
Z. FultonRelease$3.00m
Du. JohnsonRelease$5.15m
B. DunnRelease$3.25m
B. CooksTrade$12.00m
J. WattRelease$17.50m
Total Saved$54.80m
5. It doesn't take a psychiatrist or a psychologist to see that Caserio was a different happier person after Lovie was hired. Also noticeable was Nick's public messaging became less about Nick, I and Me and more about we, team and deference to Lovie. To be blunt Nick will no longer be in the press box with headphones. You don't have to have an IQ over 120 to understand what is happening here.

6. Was there any 2 horrible, terrible worse consecutive head coaching searches than Nick's in 2021 and 2022?

7. How many Belichick assistants have an abysmal record of failure after leaving NE?

8. Texans did in fact start 2022 with the fewest signed players on the roster.

9. Brian Gaine was fired the day after Jack Easterly returned from New England after spending the evening with Nick Caserio.

10. 48 hours after the Dolphins fired Flores, Caserio fired Culley.

11. After the Flores lawsuit, the Texans interview Josh McCown for HC three times.

12. After Jonathan Gannon withdrew his name from Texans HC consideration because he would have no say so in hiring his coaches, in less than 24 hours Lovie was hired as HC with complete control of hiring his coaches. He also demanded control over player personnel which was quite evident in the 2022 draft.

13. I said before Bill O'Brien would be an absolutely horrible hire before Bob McNair hired him. Some call this bs, I'll say I'm clairvoyant or just better informed.

14. I've also experienced 55 years of some very bad NFL ownership and management and have become pretty good at recognizing it when I see it.

Sorry you asked?
I don't know if you have a file on the file clerk and stay ready to copy/paste these responses. But I have to give you credit for the detail you provide when discussing your issues with Caserio.

Texian

Hall of Fame
With Brock Osweiler helping to make it happen.

So, let’s go back to the question you didn’t answer. Are you saying Rick should have listened to Kubiak & trade up for Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill?

If your answer is no, what should Rick have done in the 2012 draft, listening to Kubiak?
IMHO I think Bob McNair should've done exactly what he did when he learned that David Carr was not the answer to being the Texans QB, he told Kubiak to go find a QB. Kubiak found Schaub. When Schaub became defective Bob McNair should have done exactly what he did after being convinced Carr was defective, tell Kubiak to go find another QB. McNair fired Kubiak instead.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
IMHO I think Bob McNair should've done exactly what he did when he learned that David Carr was not the answer to being the Texans QB, he told Kubiak to go find a QB. Kubiak found Schaub. When Schaub became defective Bob McNair should have done exactly what he did after being convinced Carr was defective, tell Kubiak to go find another QB. McNair fired Kubiak instead.
It was a mercy firing, for Christ's sake the man was stroking out on the field. No way you bring that coach back, it was time. Firing Kubiak wasn't the issue.. replacing him with (())'Brien was.

Last edited:

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
the point Tex made stands imo. He stroked himself all the way to a SB with an org that under Bowlin knew how to win. This org does not.
So if this organization doesn't know how to win and you freely admit that.. how the hell does his point stand and my point that he wasn't winning crap here doesn't? 🙄

Gary Kubiak wasn't going to win any Superbowl here, I'm glad he got one in Denver, because I like the guy. Point is texian has no point. But hey according to you I'm unvaccinated so I have no brain so what do I know.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So if this organization doesn't know how to win and you freely admit that.. how the hell does his point stand and my point that he wasn't winning crap here doesn't? 🙄

Gary Kubiak wasn't going to win any Superbowl here, I'm glad he got one in Denver, because I like the guy. Point is texian has no point. But hey according to you I'm unvaccinated so I have no brain so what do I know.
If Schaub doesn't get his foot crushed, they win a SB.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Pre-lisfranc, the 2011 Texans averaged 27 ppg. Post-lisfranc, the Texans averaged 19 ppg.

I think those extra 8 points might have helped. Helped a lot.
I can go along with them making it to an AFCCG that year..but not SB. It's just too simplistic of a conclusion to draw...especially in light of Schaub's tendency to **** the bed in the biggest moments, what they did in the seasons immediately following 2011 & them still having to still go thru the Pats even if they beat Baltimore that year.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Believe Rick Smith targeted Schaub not Kubiak, he just bought into idea.

badboy

Hall of Fame
A huge leap? They had a top 3 defense and through 10 games were averaging 27.3 points per game, which had they kept up that pace would have made them the 5th highest scoring team in the league.

A hop maybe, but far from a huge leap.
I know the stats and 10 games is a long way from the Super Bowl

Texian

Hall of Fame
the point Tex made stands imo. He stroked himself all the way to a SB with an org that under Bowlin knew how to win. This org does not.
This is a good BINGO! 2012 Texans were 12- 4 with 9 Pro Bowlers.

The reason Kubiak couldn't win a Super Bowl with the Texans had more to do with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. The fact that you are unvaccinated has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you don't have a brain. Two totally different unrelated events. :) (now that's funny, I don't care what you say)

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
John Harris observation on particular coverage by Stingley.

Watching DB Derek Stingley cover the speed out is football awesomeness. I don't know how football coaches at all levels don't pull up the film of that coverage that he had in one-on-ones on that speed out and teach from it. Beautiful wave backpedal, acceleration out of the hip turn and wonderful draft off the receiver to dart in front to force the throwaway.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
First time I've heard that
Selective memory or ........ Rick played a Charity Golf Tournament (don't know if was stalking Matt - probably, lol) and came back raving about him to Gary that he was the guy. The rest is history.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
WTF?? Isn't this supposed to be a Stingley thread? Take all of that other trash to the proper threads. SMH.
Reason why, for me at least, is I need to see him play with my own eyes. I've learned not to trust any sources, including John Harris who I respect but after following his work past 15 years or so he tends to drink the :koolaid:

vtech9

All Pro
Reason why, for me at least, is I need to see him play with my own eyes. I've learned not to trust any sources, including John Harris who I respect but after following his work past 15 years or so he tends to drink the :koolaid:
Did you quote the wrong message?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Selective memory or ........ Rick played a Charity Golf Tournament (don't know if was stalking Matt - probably, lol) and came back raving about him to Gary that he was the guy. The rest is history.
I know that Gary played golf with Matt... never heard that Rick did.

Edit: @Corrosion would know

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Basically, Bob McNair fired Gary Kubiak because Bob thought he knew more about NFL QBs than Gary.
I have a feeling Bob would not have dropped Brock in Gary's lap like he did OB. He trusted Smith too much after Gary left. According to film, Brock was not as good as what Smith thought. That's film from Denver before he was here.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
  1. The New York Jets are going to lean heavily on their trio of first-round picks to make an impact in 2022. At least in the case of Sauce Gardner, the early signs point to him living up to the hype as a rookie.
    The No. 4 pick has reportedly been lighting it up in training camp, locking down receivers and making several plays on the ball. Andy Vasquez of NJ.com noted Gardner's performance in a drill going against the No. 1 offense in which he forced a crucial incompletion and registered a pressure as a blitzer.
    More importantly, Gardner has impressed his teammates. He's a common topic among those speaking to the media.
    Veteran teammate D.J. Reed has complimentedGardner's drive and work ethic to be the best. Garrett Wilson—one of the Jets' other first-round picks—told the media "you gotta really have a plan" when going against the corner.
    As a top-five pick, the expectations are going to be high for Gardner. He famously did not allow a touchdown in three seasons as a corner in college, per PFF.
    If his play in the preseason is any indication, he should be an elite cover corner from the outset of his career.
  2. The Chargers struck gold when they drafted Rashawn Slater with the 13th selection of the 2021 NFL draft. The left tackle ended up earning All-Pro second team honors in his rookie season and figures to be Justin Herbert's personal protector for the foreseeable future.
    They just might have hit another home run with their first-round pick this year.
    They continued to invest in Herbert's protection by snagging Boston College interior lineman Zion Johnson with the 17th pick.
    As soon as Johnson put on pads, he started drawing high praise. Seeing Johnson work reminded Daniel Popper of The Athletic of the first time he saw Slater go against the veterans in training camp last season:
    "Not to rev up the hype engine, but Johnson's performance reminded me a lot of Slater's first reps in pass protection one-on-ones last summer. You could tell right away that Slater belonged as an NFL left tackle. And I came away with the same feeling about Johnson"
    Johnson's teammates have been complimentary as well. Center Cory Linsley has come away impressed from his first look at Johnson in person.
    "He's got a ton of raw talent," Linsley said, per Jeff Miller of the Los Angeles Times. "You can see he's already put a lot together. I'm excited to play next to him."
    Early signs point to Johnson thriving in his first season as the team's starting right guard.

3. Derek Stingley Jr. coming off the board at No. 3 was one of the first truly surprising selections on draft night. Stingley was a star as a freshman at LSU, but injuries hampered his ability to build on that debut, as he appeared in just 10 games over his final two seasons in Baton Rouge.
    The Texans took him anyway. So far, it looks like that gamble could pay off in a big way.
    The team brought the corner along slowly through minicamp and OTAs, but he's starting to do more in training camp. The team has liked what it has seen.
    Ian Rapaport of NFL Network reported Stingley, "is keeping up with receivers, nabbing interceptions and looking like the lockdown corner Houston had hoped for." For a rookie coming off a Lisfranc injury, that's a great sign.
    James Palmer of NFL Network also noted the team plans on having Stingley shadow the No. 1 receiver for opposing teams this season.
    That's a huge responsibility, and it shows the kind of trust the corner is already developing with Lovie Smith and the rest of Houston's staff.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh yes, the infamous rookies-in-TC-who-are-balling... article. Hate articles like this b/c they mean next to nothing without context.

Stingley "nabbing" int's in TC means next to nothing if that int was thrown by a scrub like Kyle Allen...1's tradtionally only go against 2's and scout teams anyway so...
Sauce Gardner "making plays on the ball" means d*&# if the guy he was holding was the 6th WR on the depth chart....We know too the Jets don't really have a solid anything at WR let alone a baller #1 WR so...

At least wait until these guys get some live bullets in the PS games before putting out this kinda tripe..

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Ahh yes, the infamous rookies-in-TC-who-are-balling... article. Hate articles like this b/c they mean next to nothing without context.

Stingley "nabbing" int's in TC means next to nothing if that int was thrown by a scrub like Kyle Allen...1's tradtionally only go against 2's and scout teams anyway so...
Sauce Gardner "making plays on the ball" means d*&# if the guy he was holding was the 6th WR on the depth chart....We know too the Jets don't really have a solid anything at WR let alone a baller #1 WR so...

At least wait until these guys get some live bullets in the PS games before putting out this kinda tripe..
According to people who have been at TC, Stingley has 2 INTs as of Wednesday. And he won't be playing on Saturday night so...no live passes yet