Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans 1.3 Pick Derek Stingley Jr.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Would y’all be mad if Stingley didn’t play the first half of the season, but then the second half looked average, no signs of injury, and showed signs of growth?

I think that is what will happen.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Would y’all be mad if Stingley didn’t play the first half of the season, but then the second half looked average, no signs of injury, and showed signs of growth?

Yes I would be as 3rd pick should not only start day one but be considered 10 year starter. My expectations for Stingley is to not get better annually but progressively deteriorate so game 1 season 1 is a must. Different type of injury could be debatable but not what he's recovering from. As car stereo is making his bones as a GM with Texans this pic needs to be of Star quality.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Everyone will find this interesting. Stingley vs (some) younger good NFL WRs in college and how well or not so well he did.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

I want to see no sign of the injury. So, if that is what it takes...do it

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Yes I would be as 3rd pick should not only start day one but be considered 10 year starter. My expectations for Stingley is to not get better annually but progressively deteriorate so game 1 season 1 is a must. Different type of injury could be debatable but not what he's recovering from. As car stereo is making his bones as a GM with Texans this pic needs to be of Star quality.
Agreed. Plus add to the fact that the AFC South opponents he will face are run oriented without that superstar #1 WR. He was drafted higher than the WRs he will face 2x/year and should be expected to handle them for as long as he is a Texan.

Do I expect him to lock down Davante Adams this year? No. But that is one matchup. I expect him to lock down Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman and Treylon Burks 2x/year for the duration of his contract.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Do you have any of him post injuries against those same receivers as that is what matters?
Look at the date of the video. That was a pre-injury Stingley and a legit no NFL time group of WRs (now NFL WRs). Making it a fair comparison seeing nobody had NFL training or NFL conditioning. Which would make them better than they are in the video

badboy

Hall of Fame
Look at the date of the video. That was a pre-injury Stingley and a legit no NFL time group of WRs (now NFL WRs). Making it a fair comparison seeing nobody had NFL training or NFL conditioning. Which would make them better than they are in the video
Uh no. Measuring them pre-injury and comparing him post injury to them with no injury is not same.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Uh no. Measuring them pre-injury and comparing him post injury to them with no injury is not same.
Are any of them hurt in the video? No, that's why I posted it. Therefore, it is a fair and equal match up of player vs player. No NFL teachings or conditioning involved. Just straight 1v1.

badboy

Hall of Fame
No
Are any of them hurt in the video? No, that's why I posted it. Therefore, it is a fair and equal match up of player vs player. No NFL teachings or conditioning involved. Just straight 1v1.
No one cares how he did before the most recent injury. How he performs after is only thing that matters. IMO, he will never be 100% and should degrade seasonally. Still he is ours and I hope he gives us the production that Nick car stereo expected when he drafted him at number three.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No
No one cares how he did before the most recent injury. How he performs after is only thing that matters. IMO, he will never be 100% and should degrade seasonally. Still he is ours and I hope he gives us the production that Nick car stereo expected when he drafted him at number three.
Or Lovie's expecting, since Lovie worked out both Stingley and Gardner.

Texian

Hall of Fame
No
When what mother nature has given you is subjected to a very serious injury involving ligaments and tendons, the consequences of those injuries have a very high probability that they will never return to the same 100% performance levels before the injury.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Meet our new punt returner Derick Stingley?
"Through his first two seasons at LSU, Stingley was heavily involved in the return game, returning 17 punts for 163 yards during his freshman season and six returns for 97 yards (16.2 average) in 2020.

Stingley did not return punts in his junior season, in large part thanks to playing in just three games due to injury."

The article is somewhat disengenious when trying to support his return prowess beyond his 2019 season....... by pointing to his 2020 stats (heavily involved?). In reality, 92 of the 97 yds were attained in the first game of the season on one play due to blown coverage. In the other 2 punt return attempts that game, he averaged only 2.5 yds per attempt. His only other 3 punt returns came in a single game the latter part of November of that year, only averaging a little over 1.6 yds per attempt. So 2 games in the entire season where he returned any punts classifies him as "heavily involved in the return game"?

1655668150611.png

I am rooting for the kid, but let's not try to justify placing him in unnecessary known high risk situations after recently already coming back from a very significant injury.

Injuries on NFL punts are up 50%: What's the cause? What's the fix?

Special teams plays account for 30% of ACL tears and 29% of muscle injuries to lower extremities -- even though they represent only 17% of plays in a typical NFL game. Andy Lewis/Icon Sportswire
May 24, 2022
Kevin SeifertESPN Staff Writer

The alarm seemed out of the blue. In the days leading up to Super Bowl LVI on Feb. 13, the NFL's health and safety team issued a call to action in response to a surge in special teams injuries, especially on punts. The rate of missed time for injuries that occurred on punt plays increased by about 50% over the past two seasons, according to league data that up until that point hadn't been widely disseminated.

Before I go back there, I say, 'I don't care about my life.' Every time," Indianapolis Colts return man Nyheim Hines said. "It takes a special person to look up in the air and have a load of people trying to rip your head off."

Speaking in a series of interviews in February, NFL chief medical officer Dr. Allen Sills said the uptick in special teams injuries required "attention immediately" from league decision-makers. But when the NFL's owners, executives and coaches gathered in March for their annual league meetings, there was no consensus on what to do. The NFL largely tabled the concerns amid indecision from the competition committee and pushback from some coaches, who proposed that the spike -- specifically in ACL and soft-tissue injuries -- was the result of pandemic-related roster moves. Special teams plays accounted for 30% of ACL tears and 29% of muscle injuries to lower extremities -- even though they represent only 17% of plays in a typical NFL game.
THE REST OF THE STORY

badboy

Hall of Fame
"Through his first two seasons at LSU, Stingley was heavily involved in the return game, returning 17 punts for 163 yards during his freshman season and six returns for 97 yards (16.2 average) in 2020.

Stingley did not return punts in his junior season, in large part thanks to playing in just three games due to injury."

The article is somewhat disengenious when trying to support his return prowess beyond his 2019 season....... by pointing to his 2020 stats (heavily involved?). In reality, 92 of the 97 yds were attained in the first game of the season on one play due to blown coverage. In the other 2 punt return attempts that game, he averaged only 2.5 yds per attempt. His only other 3 punt returns came in a single game the latter part of November of that year, only averaging a little over 1.6 yds per attempt. So 2 games in the entire season where he returned any punts classifies him as "heavily involved in the return game"?

View attachment 10305

I am rooting for the kid, but let's not try to justify placing him in unnecessary known high risk situations after recently already coming back from a very significant injury.

Injuries on NFL punts are up 50%: What's the cause? What's the fix?

Special teams plays account for 30% of ACL tears and 29% of muscle injuries to lower extremities -- even though they represent only 17% of plays in a typical NFL game. Andy Lewis/Icon Sportswire
May 24, 2022
Kevin SeifertESPN Staff Writer

The alarm seemed out of the blue. In the days leading up to Super Bowl LVI on Feb. 13, the NFL's health and safety team issued a call to action in response to a surge in special teams injuries, especially on punts. The rate of missed time for injuries that occurred on punt plays increased by about 50% over the past two seasons, according to league data that up until that point hadn't been widely disseminated.

Before I go back there, I say, 'I don't care about my life.' Every time," Indianapolis Colts return man Nyheim Hines said. "It takes a special person to look up in the air and have a load of people trying to rip your head off."

Speaking in a series of interviews in February, NFL chief medical officer Dr. Allen Sills said the uptick in special teams injuries required "attention immediately" from league decision-makers. But when the NFL's owners, executives and coaches gathered in March for their annual league meetings, there was no consensus on what to do. The NFL largely tabled the concerns amid indecision from the competition committee and pushback from some coaches, who proposed that the spike -- specifically in ACL and soft-tissue injuries -- was the result of pandemic-related roster moves. Special teams plays accounted for 30% of ACL tears and 29% of muscle injuries to lower extremities -- even though they represent only 17% of plays in a typical NFL game.
THE REST OF THE STORY
I am a stats guy however this is another example of why you have to dig a little bit deeper. As far as punt return I wonder how a rule the ball becomes the dead once it hits the ground? Defense can Rush the kicker and try to block kick or tackle kicker; however there will be no run back or attempt to catch. No extra ground is gained or lost due to the ball bouncing one way or the other.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I think we all understand how good he used to be. It's how good is he now is the question. And that remains unanswered.
I'd be happy if he was just a solid corner for 5 or 6 years but what I fear is he's going to flash some brilliance once in a while for 2 years followed by having problems just staying with a team until he's out of the league before his 4th year. I'd be very happy if I'm wrong, though.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I think we all understand how good he used to be. It's how good is he now is the question. And that remains unanswered.
Yes, but the videos show the skills he has. Can he be 100% again and do it still is a true question.

Honestly...Stingley vs Sauce 1a and 1b. 1a had serious medical concerns and 1b didn't. Still not sure how we got 1a instead. I have heard that Stingley plays more like what Lovie likes his CBs to play. BUT IMO...oh well take the one who is healthy and hasn't allowed a TD in 3 years. Just saying...

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I might be much more concerned if he came to the Combine and produced a straight line run of high 4.6 or low 4.7 in the 40, but he came in and popped a 4.44-40, 38.5” Vertical Jump and a 10’-2” Broad Jump, 1.56 10-Yard Split, 6.98 3-Cone, and a 4.19 Short Shuttle. The mechanicals were in place. Athletically, his measurable(s) were on full display. Also, he cleaned up his 40 and posted a 4.37-40 at his Pro Day.

I believe he’s going need some time to get his football legs under him during camp, which is to be fully expected. Now, he’s not showing up to the Texans relying on his LSU skill-set exclusively….I fully expect the Texans defensive staff to coach him up and improve him as a CB going forward. The physical gifts are there and will be available the moment he’s allowed to make his return to full contact practices.

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I might be much more concerned if he came to the Combine and produced a straight line run of high 4.6 or low 4.7 in the 40, but he came in and popped a 4.44-40, 38.5” Vertical Jump and a 10’-2” Broad Jump, 1.56 10-Yard Split, 6.98 3-Cone, and a 4.19 Short Shuttle. The mechanicals were in place. Athletically, his measurable(s) were on full display. Also, he cleaned up his 40 and posted a 4.37-40 at his Pro Day.

The first-rounders
With Derek Stingley (LSU) and Andrew Booth (Clemson) not participating, it was a two-man race for the top corner at the Combine status between Sauce Gardner (Cincinnati, 6-foot-2 3⁄4, 190) and Trent McDuffie (Washington, 5-foot-10 1⁄2, 193).

Everything looked easy for Gardner. He ran fast (4.41, 40-yard dash), glided when he moved, gained ground in his backpedal, and displayed explosion when changing direction. I anticipate most analysts having Gardner as their CB1 leaving Indianapolis.
Derek Stingley Runs 4.44 40-Yard Dash, Impresses with 38.5" Vertical at LSU Pro Day
The 4.37 time didn't hold up when official numbers were calculated, putting him at 4.44 seconds in the 40. His 10-yard split came in at 1.56 seconds, and he completed his three-cone drill in 6.98 seconds.
I'm skeptical that Stingley has run a single sub 4.4 this year in preparations/workouts for the NFL Draft.
And I'm struggling to find documentation of his combine performance and I'm doubtful that he actually appeared at the Indy Combine, just his LSU pro-Day. And Pro-Day times are notoriously unreliable and also hand-timed which tends to overstate
the participants performance, unlike the combine times which are official, electronically timed, and historically quite reliable.
Like all Texans fans I want young Mr Stingley to succeed and be an outstanding player in the NFL but there's questions
which only onfield performance will answer, one way or the other.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
And I'm struggling to find documentation of his combine performance and I'm doubtful that he actually appeared at the Indy Combine, just his LSU pro-Day. And Pro-Day times are notoriously unreliable and also hand-timed which tends to overstate
the participants performance, unlike the combine times which are official, electronically timed, and historically quite reliable.
Stingley did measurements and medicals at the combine. He wasn't ready to run or workout. Normally, I agree with the Combine over Pro Day reliability. But this year's times were historically off the charts, possibly due to a new (and incredibly fast) track in Indy. And most of these pro days are also electronically timed, now. I timed Stingley's 40 from youtube, and came up with 4.37. That's pretty close to the 4.44 electronic official time. The 40 doesn't say a lot about cutting and changing direction. I'm sure Stingley's 6.98 cone time will improve once he's fully healthy.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Also, he cleaned up his 40 and posted a 4.37-40 at his Pro Day.
A little bit off topic... but I do not see a 4.37 as an improvement on his combine number. The combine tries to add consistency in how all the players are timed, to make it more apples to apples comparison. We don't know how they operated the clock at his pro day.

For me, the 4.37 & 4.4 are the same. The pro day number is inline with the combine number, so it wasn't a fluke, is all that tells me. Now if he had ran a 4.3 or a 4.5 at his pro day, then I would think something was different & investigate.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone

The first-rounders
With Derek Stingley (LSU) and Andrew Booth (Clemson) not participating, it was a two-man race for the top corner at the Combine status between Sauce Gardner (Cincinnati, 6-foot-2 3⁄4, 190) and Trent McDuffie (Washington, 5-foot-10 1⁄2, 193).

Everything looked easy for Gardner. He ran fast (4.41, 40-yard dash), glided when he moved, gained ground in his backpedal, and displayed explosion when changing direction. I anticipate most analysts having Gardner as their CB1 leaving Indianapolis.
Derek Stingley Runs 4.44 40-Yard Dash, Impresses with 38.5" Vertical at LSU Pro Day
The 4.37 time didn't hold up when official numbers were calculated, putting him at 4.44 seconds in the 40. His 10-yard split came in at 1.56 seconds, and he completed his three-cone drill in 6.98 seconds.
I'm skeptical that Stingley has run a single sub 4.4 this year in preparations/workouts for the NFL Draft.
Like all Texans fans I want young Mr Stingley to succeed and be an outstanding player in the NFL but there's questions
against good competition, I never saw Booth look good or great. Feel he was over rated. Based on where we are needing star power, I was ok with boom or average player in Stingley. Dont see bust.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Stingley did measurements and medicals at the combine. He wasn't ready to run or workout. Normally, I agree with the Combine over Pro Day reliability. But this year's times were historically off the charts, possibly due to a new (and incredibly fast) track in Indy. And most of these pro days are also electronically timed, now. I timed Stingley's 40 from youtube, and came up with 4.37. That's pretty close to the 4.44 electronic official time. The 40 doesn't say a lot about cutting and changing direction. I'm sure Stingley's 6.98 cone time will improve once he's fully healthy.
The Combine times are consistant and comparable , i.e. everybody is competing on the same surface and electronic times are also always more reliable and slower than hand-times (electrical currents are much faster than our own human reflexes).
BTW check the the link above because it says Stingley (and also Booth from Clemson) did not participate.
Like I said I'm pulling for our boy but it remains to be seen IMO.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
A little bit off topic... but I do not see a 4.37 as an improvement on his combine number. The combine tries to add consistency in how all the players are timed, to make it more apples to apples comparison. We don't know how they operated the clock at his pro day.

For me, the 4.37 & 4.4 are the same. The pro day number is inline with the combine number, so it wasn't a fluke, is all that tells me. Now if he had ran a 4.3 or a 4.5 at his pro day, then I would think something was different & investigate.
Once again - Stingley was a no-show at the 2022 Indy Combine.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

The first-rounders

Good thing Lovie personally attended his pro day workout in person.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
BTW check the the link above because it says Stingley (and also Booth from Clemson) did not participate.
Once again - Stingley was a no-show at the 2022 Indy Combine.
Are we on different frequencies today? I said that Stingley did not test at the combine, but was there.

Stingley did measurements and medicals at the combine. He wasn't ready to run or workout.
Here is Stingley's combine press conference.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Good thing Lovie personally attended his pro day workout in person.
No doubt that Lovie is a consummate pro at evaluating the potential NFL future of college D-back prospect but my concerns are rather about his medical expertise: I dunno but I sure hope the Texans HC stayed at a Holiday Inn Xpress in Baton Rouge the eve of Stingley's Pro-Day.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
From what I understand Stingley was wearing some kind of protective equipment for his pro day. Not sure if it was sold in his shoe or something on his foot. No, it didn't make him faster, but was needed for his foot not to bother him.

Anyone know if this is accurate? I have heard it a few times on podcasts from guys who are allowed on the field. Press passes or whatever they have. And then they are allowed to speak to players and staff

badboy

Hall of Fame
My concern point 2: how good will Sting be.

My concern point 1: how long and what level of good will he be.

My concern point 3: how soon does he re-injure?

badboy

Hall of Fame
From what I understand Stingley was wearing some kind of protective equipment for his pro day. Not sure if it was sold in his shoe or something on his foot. No, it didn't make him faster, but was needed for his foot not to bother him.

Anyone know if this is accurate? I have heard it a few times on podcasts from guys who are allowed on the field. Press passes or whatever they have. And then they are allowed to speak to players and staff
I'm pretty sure Cloaknnn Dagger discussed this if you want to search for it.