Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans’ Frantic Trades Expose the Franchise’s Lack of Vision and Direction

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
When a team hires a disciple of the Patriot coaching tree, it’s assuming some modicum of stability and certainly, some semblance of a long-term plan.

Let’s check in on the Texans, and their head coach/general manager Bill O’Brien. A team a week away from the start of their first game….

• Just before noon on Saturday, theydealt Jadeveon Clowney, a former No. 1 overall pick, one of the four players over the past three seasons with 20 or more sacks and 50 or more tackles for a loss, in exchange for a pair of role players and a third-round pick because they did not want to sign him to a top-of-market extension. They were (raises hand) roundly criticized for not also getting any offensive line helpin that tradeso….
Shortly after the close of league business on Saturday, they dealttwo(!!!!) first-round picks and a second-round pick for Dolphins left tackle Laremy Tunsil and wide receiver Kenny Stills. As many have pointed out in the immediate aftermath of the trade, the Texans are now under immense pressure toextend Tunsil, essentially owing him a large chunk of the money that they saved by not having to pay Clowney.

Houston is flying blindly without someone overseeing their front office, rumbling through this offseason with the dexterity of a toddler driving a school bus. They let the general managerthey fired right after the draft, Brian Gaine, select two offensive tackles with their first three picks. After the team parted ways with him, it spent an immense, and critical, part of the franchise’s future on a third tackle make up for the fact that the first two can’t anchor Deshaun Watson’s blind side. Imagine a person who spends thousands on a team of contractors to fix up their house and, while the spackle is still drying, they throw up their hands and buy a house somewhere else for twice the cost.
&&&https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/31/h...sil-kenny-stills-jadeveon-clowney-bill-obrien
&&&

When a team hires a disciple of the Patriot coaching tree, it’s assuming some modicum of stability and certainly, some semblance of a long-term plan.

Let’s check in on the Texans, and their head coach/general manager Bill O’Brien. A team a week away from the start of their first game….

• Just before noon on Saturday, theydealt Jadeveon Clowney, a former No. 1 overall pick, one of the four players over the past three seasons with 20 or more sacks and 50 or more tackles for a loss, in exchange for a pair of role players and a third-round pick because they did not want to sign him to a top-of-market extension. They were (raises hand) roundly criticized for not also getting any offensive line helpin that tradeso….
Shortly after the close of league business on Saturday, they dealttwo(!!!!) first-round picks and a second-round pick for Dolphins left tackle Laremy Tunsil and wide receiver Kenny Stills. As many have pointed out in the immediate aftermath of the trade, the Texans are now under immense pressure toextend Tunsil, essentially owing him a large chunk of the money that they saved by not having to pay Clowney.

Houston is flying blindly without someone overseeing their front office, rumbling through this offseason with the dexterity of a toddler driving a school bus. They let the general managerthey fired right after the draft, Brian Gaine, select two offensive tackles with their first three picks. After the team parted ways with him, it spent an immense, and critical, part of the franchise’s future on a third tackle make up for the fact that the first two can’t anchor Deshaun Watson’s blind side. Imagine a person who spends thousands on a team of contractors to fix up their house and, while the spackle is still drying, they throw up their hands and buy a house somewhere else for twice the cost.
&&&https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/31/h...sil-kenny-stills-jadeveon-clowney-bill-obrien
&&&

I imagine Watson will be properly protected. (Finally)

Tunsil giving up 2 sacks in 800 snaps should be comforting to the Texans org/Watson, but the fan base will not appreciate what good OL play looks like since they haven't seen good OL play looks like for the last 3 yrs.

Tunsil giving up 2 sacks in 800 snaps should be comforting to the Texans org/Watson, but the fan base will not appreciate what good OL play looks like since they haven't seen good OL play looks like for the last 3 yrs.

One player does not make an o-line. When Nick Martin is in the backfield so quick he could take the handoff before the RB does, that's not something that a Tunsil can fix. Don't get me wrong. Tunsil is certainly better than what they had, so there's that.

The Texans gave away a shit ton today. They mortgaged the future like a team going for it and I don't think they're any closer to being a legit SB contender than they were before. Maybe the o-line is a little better, but even if the sack totals come down from 62 to say 45 or so, yeah, that's an improvement, but that still ain't good. And I don't think the defense got better at all.

Google Conner Orr and Texans. He’s pretty much been saying they are sh!t for a long time now. Some of its justified but he is far from unbiased.

One player does not make an o-line. When Nick Martin is in the backfield so quick he could take the handoff before the RB does, that's not something that a Tunsil can fix. Don't get me wrong. Tunsil is certainly better than what they had, so there's that.

The Texans gave away a shit ton today. They mortgaged the future like a team going for it and I don't think they're any closer to being a legit SB contender than they were before. Maybe the o-line is a little better, but even if the sack totals come down from 62 to say 45 or so, yeah, that's an improvement, but that still ain't good. And I don't think the defense got better at all.

Agree with everything you said except the part about 45 sacks not being good. Much as I hate to say it for a QB like Watson 45 or less is pretty good. Check out these numbers.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-plays-sacked

Note how Wilson and Rogers, the two Watson is most compared to, have 52 and 49 sacks. QBs like Watson make amazing things happen and keep defenses on their toes with their mobility but the trade off is they get hit a lot.

Agree with everything you said except the part about 45 sacks not being good. Much as I hate to say it for a QB like Watson 45 or less is pretty good. Check out these numbers.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-plays-sacked

Note how Wilson and Rogers, the two Watson is most compared to, have 52 and 49 sacks. QBs like Watson make amazing things happen and keep defenses on their toes with their mobility but the trade off is they get hit a lot.

That's still on the high end of sack totals. Good, mobile QBs can make it work, but you still don't want your guy taking that many hits. 45 sacks still would have been top 10 last year, top 4 the year before, and top 2 the year before that. That's not a good thing, I don't care who you are.

Tunsil is a great add. Texans gave up to much for Tunsil and on top of that got way to little for Clowney. Just think if Texans were better at negotiating could have got another OL peace for Clowney or another position of need. Instead they get a 3rd and 2 non factor LBs.

&&&
It does look like desperation, but for mine, they tried to do something and that is way better than sitting on ones hands which every man and his dog was whining about over the last few months - including me.
Cost a fortune, but it now gives us a chance at a decent oline and offense.
O'Brien has put his ass on the line today but unfortunately he spent it on credit. It had better pay off.
My guess is that this will all take time now to coordinate into a cohesive team effort without the luxury of a preseason to prepare - they gonna have to do it on the fly.
The coaching staff has a job ahead of it.

It does look like desperation, but for mine, they tried to do something and that is way better than sitting on ones hands which every man and his dog was whining about over the last few months - including me.
O'Brien has put his ass on the line today but unfortunately he spent it on credit. It had better pay off.
My guess is that this will all take time now to coordinate into a cohesive team effort without the luxury of a preseason to prepare - they gonna have to do it on the fly.

I can live with the heavy price for Tunsil & Stills but the Clowney debacle is just so dumb beyond words.

I can live with the heavy price for Tunsil & Stills but the Clowney debacle is just so dumb beyond words.

The Texans now have a young talented OL if you believe Howard/Scharping are good picks. (I do) Your starters should look like this

Tunsil 25 yrs old/ Howard 23 yrs old/Fulton 27 yrs old/Scharping 23 yrs old/Henderson 27 yrs old. So you've got 3 talented guys that haven't even reached their prime and 2 guys that have just started reaching their prime.

The Texans now have a young talented OL if you believe Howard/Scharping are good picks. (I do) Your starters should look like this

Tunsil 25 yrs old/ Howard 23 yrs old/Fulton 27 yrs old/Scharping 23 yrs old/Henderson 27 yrs old. So you've got 3 talented guys that haven't even reached their prime and 2 guys that have just started reaching their prime.

Dare I say that sounds optimistic?

We should be use to these hasty decisions by now. To the point of laughing and hoping these things pan out for a change.

But remember who we have coaching up this line and whose making the play calls.

Duke and Hyde will have to be ready for a high usage rate. Both has dealt with some serious injuries. Both will have to be great blocking backs.

the fan base will not appreciate what good OL play looks like since they haven't seen good OL play looks like for the last 3 yrs.

Do you think we'll see it right away? Has Tunsil arrived in Houston yet, to start working with our guys Monday to be ready for next Monday?

I'm sure there will be communication issues week 1. By week 2, I expect to see that proper protection.

Note how Wilson and Rogers, the two Watson is most compared to, have 52 and 49 sacks. QBs like Watson make amazing things happen and keep defenses on their toes with their mobility but the trade off is they get hit a lot

I agree, mobile QBs are difficult to protect & they get hit a lot. I didn't look it up but I doubt Wilson & Roger's took 40+ sacks when they won or were in contention to win Super Bowls. As hard as it may be, we've got to get that number closer to 30.

Tunsil, Howard, Fulton at Center, Scharping may get us to the low 40s. Hopefully a smarter Watson gets us to the low 30s.

&&&

lmao if DW4 gets injured for the season again and we draft some projects again with those 1st rounds we are not winning anytime soon. texans is win now mode. how do you not get that lmao HAHAHAHAHA plus Clowney was terrible pass rusher. just riding JJ's great season last year.

I agree, mobile QBs are difficult to protect & they get hit a lot. I didn't look it up but I doubt Wilson & Roger's took 40+ sacks when they won or were in contention to win Super Bowls. As hard as it may be, we've got to get that number closer to 30.

Tunsil, Howard, Fulton at Center, Scharping may get us to the low 40s. Hopefully a smarter Watson gets us to the low 30s.

I was curious so I did look it up. Rogers in 2010 (SB win) took 31 sacks and Wilson in 2013 (win) took 44 sacks and in 2014 (loss) took 42 sacks.

Interesting enough Rogers numbers are all over the place. Some seasons he takes less than 30 then the next season he’ll take almost 50 but his line doesn’t look like it’s changed all that much. But then there are a lot of things about Rogers that you could list as “interesting”.

Using two packets of icing on one Toaster Strudel.
Happy now, sad later.

That pretty much describes every time a team enters “win now mode”. Look at all the teams that were in win now mode and how many of them didn’t have to basically go straight into rebuild mode. Win now mode is always bad long term but fans get impatient and GM/coaches start feeling the heat so you get what we now have with the Texans.

That pretty much describes every time a team enters “win now mode”. Look at all the teams that were in win now mode and how many of them didn’t have to basically go straight into rebuild mode. Win now mode is always bad long term but fans get impatient and GM/coaches start feeling the heat so you get what we now have with the Texans.

If they were doing win now mode they would have played clowney on the tag here which is what he wanted to do

If they were doing win now mode they would have played clowney on the tag here which is what he wanted to do

Dude you have no proof at all Clowney wanted to play here and all signs point to him wanting way more than he is worth. If he did want to play on the tag why didn’t he get his ass in there and sign it, the Miami talk didn’t come up till this last week or so when it looked like he was going to be a no show.

Also frankly Clowney does not make a team a contender. I won’t say he’s lazy but he doesn’t push himself to be better either. Go look up his stats they are as close to the same numbers as you can get in the NFL. So either he has plateaued and he’s not as good as some on here claim and not worth the big money or he doesn’t try to get better and so sure as hell isn't worth the big money.

Clowney’s gone, get over it. If RAC is the defense god you make him out to be we should barely miss a beat next year since we are going against elite QBs and Clowney sucked against elite QBs and the air game.

?
I was under the impression Clowney refused to sign...
Texans should have offered a no trade clause. Win/win for both parties unless Clowney just wanted out of here.

?
Texans should have offered a no trade clause. Win/win for both parties unless Clowney just wanted out of here.

No trade clauses are never wins for a team. They pretty much tie your hands and give all the power to the player. There aren’t a lot of examples I can think of in the NFL but the MLB is full of them. Go look up the story of Verlander coming here, it literally came down to the last minute and it was all because they had to convince him to sign off on it.

No trade clauses are never wins for a team. They pretty much tie your hands and give all the power to the player. There aren’t a lot of examples I can think of in the NFL but the MLB is full of them. Go look up the story of Verlander coming here, it literally came down to the last minute and it was all because they had to convince him to sign off on it.
Clowney already held the whip in this scenario.
The win for Houston would have been we had his services for one more year for a lot cheaper than what Clowney was wanting.
The win for Clowney would be he still makes close to a million a game and gets the chance to play well and pad his stats increasing his value and not be traded away to a team he did not want.

He refused to sign because he thought it was real he was going to Miami. Before all that blew up he was reported to be signing after the Cowboys game and getting back to work.
Yes, a destination he did not desire.
He wanted to be paid and paid by a legit contender.
I predicted Seattle or Philly to a friend last Tuesday.

And OB is the one of the worst guys at doing that

Wilson is a rare exception. He scrambles just for the extra yards that are there and is extremely cautious. Best scrambler I've ever seen based on instincts and caution. He's the standard that I'd like to see Watson achieve as a mobile QB from a scrambling standpoint.

Dude you have no proof at all Clowney wanted to play here and all signs point to him wanting way more than he is worth. If he did want to play on the tag why didn’t he get his ass in there and sign it, the Miami talk didn’t come up till this last week or so when it looked like he was going to be a no show.

Also frankly Clowney does not make a team a contender. I won’t say he’s lazy but he doesn’t push himself to be better either. Go look up his stats they are as close to the same numbers as you can get in the NFL. So either he has plateaued and he’s not as good as some on here claim and not worth the big money or he doesn’t try to get better and so sure as hell isn't worth the big money.

Clowney’s gone, get over it. If RAC is the defense god you make him out to be we should barely miss a beat next year since we are going against elite QBs and Clowney sucked against elite QBs and the air game.

Dude it is 100% fact that Clowney was going to play under the tag here until he found OBrien was going to trade him.

The rest of your post is gobbledygook justification. He makes us better now period

?

He refused only to go to a team he didn't like such as miami

I like this lineup, however I'm not confident that OB sees it this way. I'm sure he will have Nick Martin at center and wouldn't be surprised if one of the rookies didn't start either.

Yes, a destination he did not desire.
He wanted to be paid and paid by a legit contender.
I predicted Seattle to a friend last Tuesday.

My understanding is that he was content to play out the season under the FT. Then the Texans started talking to Miami about a potential trade, JD didn't like that or the fact he was being shopped, and didn't sign and let the Texans know Miami wasn't happening. That's when he put Philly and Seattle on the map.

If the Texans didn't go all gung-ho about getting rid of him, he would have signed after the Cowboys game and he'd be getting ready for New Orleans right now. Instead we get a 3rd rounder and a couple of end of the 53 guys for an impactful defensive player.

I strongly disagree. We’re going in with potentially a whole new starting 5 (if you consider Fulton at center instead of guard) two promising rookies who have held up great at guard, a top 5 LT, and a serviceable RT in Henderson. Hell, Scharping could end up being our RT of the future.

Was the off-season mismanaged? Without a doubt it was. 100%. But, I’m willing to give up picks for a proven commodity, and Tunsil is better than any guy we could’ve drafted. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we now have a top 15 OL with the potential to be a top 10 OL towards the end of the year.

Defensively, the loss of Clowney hurts. But, we’ll have a boatload of cap to upgrade that position next year in free agency, and this draft class is flush with good edge rushers. For the first time in a while I’m very optimistic about where we’re at, even with OB at the helm. Now let’s go win some ball games!

Dude it is 100% fact that Clowney was going to play under the tag here until he found OBrien was going to trade him.

The rest of your post is gobbledygook justification. He makes us better now period

So if it’s 100% fact I’m sure you can find where Clowney himself said that he would have played if not for the trade. Not from a talking head, not from “inside sources” not from “people close to Clowney” but from the man himself or at least his agent or I guess former agent now.

Wilson is a rare exception. He scrambles just for the extra yards that are there and is extremely cautious. Best scrambler I've ever seen based on instincts and caution. He's the standard that I'd like to see Watson achieve as a mobile QB from a scrambling standpoint.
OB is turrible as a GM - worse even than his OCing.
One thing has come about from this trading (other than losing high draft picks), we will have plenty of cap room in the next offseason so will still see some chances to improve the team and pay guys we want to keep.

So if it’s 100% fact I’m sure you can find where Clowney himself said that he would have played if not for the trade. Not from a talking head, not from “inside sources” not from “people close to Clowney” but from the man himself or at least his agent or I guess former agent now.

Clowney and his agent haven't been talking. It's been reported by professional journalists.

Can you prove to me the earth is round? I want to hear it not from scientists but from Mother Earth herself

OB is turrible as a GM - worse even than his OCing.
One thing has come about from this trading (other than losing high draft picks), we will have plenty of cap room in the next offseason so will still see some chances to improve the team and pay guys we want to keep.

That caproom will go to Watson and Tunsil. Fuller and Cunningham will also be up for extensions. I think mercilus too

I strongly disagree. We’re going in with potentially a whole new starting 5 (if you consider Fulton at center instead of guard) two promising rookies who have held up great at guard, a top 5 LT, and a serviceable RT in Henderson. Hell, Scharping could end up being our RT of the future.

Was the off-season mismanaged? Without a doubt it was. 100%. But, I’m willing to give up picks for a proven commodity, and Tunsil is better than any guy we could’ve drafted. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we now have a top 15 OL with the potential to be a top 10 OL towards the end of the year.

Defensively, the loss of Clowney hurts. But, we’ll have a boatload of cap to upgrade that position next year in free agency, and this draft class is flush with good edge rushers. For the first time in a while I’m very optimistic about where we’re at, even with OB at the helm. Now let’s go win some ball games!

Whether anybody considers Fulton at C doesn't mean much if that's not what the coaches think. And 2 "promising" rookies means they haven't proven jack. I've said there's potential to be better than they were last year. Tunsil alone gives them that chance. But the right players still have to be in the right positions and coached up, and I don't trust any of that.

Back