Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the WC WIN!

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I love that this forum is so invested in being right that we can't have two heroes of the game.

Seriously, be thankful we have more than one player of that caliber. Hopkins was pretty amazing too.
We have all been part of the Long Night waiting for Azor Ahai to show up with Lightbringer and defeat the darkness of the Great Other.

It’s been a long wait.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
watched the game again yesterday .. Watson saved 2 INTS - when he pulled back on great coverage, and fallen reciever(s). Josh Allen said "Fk it" and threw grapefruits out there. He should have been picked multiple times.

Somehow Watson "didnt see his hot route" ... fall. (which he did) and is being criticized for making all the right plays. Only here!! Across the land Watson is being applauded and rightfully so. The true football men saw that OBrien played right into the teeth of the Buffalo defense for 3 quarters. Watson in the 4th Q was a magic show. His effort plays are so damn good. Reaching for the 2 point pylon. He was smart with the ball. Winning football. Winners know how to win. Guys gravitate to other guys who have climbed the tallest of peaks. Freaking awesome man .. against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Jaw dropping. Guys who cant rally behind that and show support and admiration are some of the saddest people we have as fans. What a sad, miserable existence to find the flaws in a historic win like that.

I don't disagree with most of this …. Watson off script and his effort plays are awesome and most of the problem is on OB not accepting the fact that Watson isn't going to pick teams apart from the pocket and he wont go away from his script until late in games but its a fact that Watson misses an awful lot of opportunities in the passing game - guys come open and he doesn't see them or hesitates and the window closes.

That flaw in Watson is one OB has to recognize and account for in his play design and calling - which he refuses to do ….

As good as Watson is , he can be better ….

As for this game - Buffalo had a great scheme and executed it at a very high level while OB played right into it for 2+ quarters until he finally pulled his head out of his ass. Once they began to attack the edge of the defense , the course of the game changed - the Bills couldn't sit back in that 2 deep zone and rush 4 and get to Watson.

I'm thrilled that they won and we get another week of football …. a showdown with the Chiefs and Mahomes.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I don't disagree with most of this …. Watson off script and his effort plays are awesome and most of the problem is on OB not accepting the fact that Watson isn't going to pick teams apart from the pocket and he wont go away from his script until late in games but its a fact that Watson misses an awful lot of opportunities in the passing game - guys come open and he doesn't see them or hesitates and the window closes.

That flaw in Watson is one OB has to recognize and account for in his play design and calling - which he refuses to do ….

As for this game - Buffalo had a great scheme and executed it at a very high level while OB played right into it for 2+ quarters until he finally pulled his head out of his ass. Once they began to attack the edge of the defense , the course of the game changed - the Bills couldn't sit back in that 2 deep zone and rush 4 and get to Watson.

I'm thrilled that they won and we get another week of football …. a showdown with the Chiefs and Mahomes.
I dont see a flaw. When Watson has sufficient time to throw the ball from a clean pocket he's one of the best QBs in football. "he can be better" .. I know. Thats what is awesome. Saturday was his 39th professional game. Shoot even when pressured Watson is among the leaders in QB metrics. Im not sure why guys are asking for perfection from Watson. They even said Josh Allen was a better QB!!!!! LMAOOOOOOOO

Guys on this site see a guy open and think it should be easy to make the throw not taking into account mechanics, play time, body position .. etc.. etc.. they see a guy running open and assume he was even in the progression!!

It was a hard fought playoff game and the best players decided the contest. Guys see Deshaun have a rough final month of the season, and conveniently forget he was in the MVP discussion most of the year. SMH.

Even worse you have some OBrien Apologists doing anything they can to discredit, diminish and tarnish any positive thing the kid does. Not on my watch. The Pro Watson contingent is always appeasing that faction, will agree when he struggles, will offer explanations and dialogue, but the Buttchin Brigade cant even bring themselves to say Watson had a good game, when i fact he had a PHENOMENAL game. 1st half there was nothing open!! OBrien ran out his BS offense, did everything they expected him to do and had to abandon the offense out of desperation. Its only because of Watson heroics that we are having this discussion and not the one about OBrien needing to be fired ASAP. Remember that.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I've seen that replay many times and I still don't know how Watson didn't go down.

The "Watson keeps missing open guys" narrative from patdstat and others is so dumb it's barely worth responding too.

Everytime time they show a screen shot of a guy "open" he either isn't open or he's like one yard from the line of scrimmage and it's someone like Carlos Hyde

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I dont see a flaw.
He isn't a good consistent passer from the pocket without moving around. He makes the majority of his plays on the run or after he has escaped something. As a pocket technician by itself, he is very flawed. Still a great QB, but that would be one specific flaw.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Even worse you have some OBrien Apologists doing anything they can to discredit, diminish and tarnish any positive thing the kid does. Not on my watch. The Pro Watson contingent is always appeasing that faction, will agree when he struggles, will offer explanations and dialogue, but the Buttchin Brigade cant even bring themselves to say Watson had a good game, when i fact he had a PHENOMENAL game. 1st half there was nothing open!! OBrien ran out his BS offense, did everything they expected him to do and had to abandon the offense out of desperation. Its only because of Watson heroics that we are having this discussion and not the one about OBrien needing to be fired ASAP. Remember that.
You are talking about 1, maybe 2 people who prefer OB over DW. Everyone else is Pro Watson. Your posts create a Watson backlash. You continue to cram Watson propaganda down everyone’s throats that it diminishes what he does. Sometimes less is more. People show approval in different ways. There is the carrot and stick reward. Some people like praising with carrots (positive) and then some people like praising with the stick (can be negative) and say he needs to do this better. Nothing wrong with it. Let people have their opinion. It’s not always an attack. Don’t be offensive by going on the defensive. Just relax. If you push pendulum too far one way people are going to push against it naturally. But you post whatever you want to post and do you.

Also consider this: ESPN and Watt. ESPN was talking about Watt so much it turned people off. (nationally, not here in Houston because we have had JJ Watt withdrawals)

Texansballer74

The Marine
Shouldn’t you be telling your boy the same thing. Isn’t he not pushing his agenda concerning Watson on every freaking thread. But yet you’re on here checking Rico.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Shouldn’t you be telling your boy the same thing. Isn’t he not pushing his agenda concerning Watson on every freaking thread. But yet you’re on here checking Rico.
I am not checking anybody.

In regards to my boy - I have been disciplined and had my post deleted when discussing “how he sees things with his own eyes.” I wrongly likened his vision to Mr. Magoo for someone’s comfort. I learned the lesson of not wrestling with a pig.

Which many have echoed - don’t get drawn in and go down that rabbit hole. He will respond to every comment and won’t stop. Just put him on ignore if you feel offended by his posts.

However, am concerned that this board has become a teenage girls dream with all these groups and cliques. I don’t want to be part of any group.

I try to be balanced, and be the monkey at the zoo that throws **** at everyone indiscriminately.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
LOL I mean crazy that a Watson fan would want to defend him against egregious slander and bold faced lies right? Dammit and I click "show ignored content" to catch up and I have to read Ol Tex talking about 2005 pocket quarterbacking in 2019. Interesting that the Fathers of Pocket Passing in Brady and Brees got BOUNCED!! SMH.

On the other thread there are Forrest Gump images likening Watson and his running ability to a box of chocolates!! I mean cmon man LOL. Everyone is playing their games and Im the bad guy because I like to call out all the bogus propaganda? OK.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I dont see a flaw. When Watson has sufficient time to throw the ball from a clean pocket he's one of the best QBs in football. "he can be better" .. I know. Thats what is awesome. Saturday was his 39th professional game. Shoot even when pressured Watson is among the leaders in QB metrics. Im not sure why guys are asking for perfection from Watson. They even said Josh Allen was a better QB!!!!! LMAOOOOOOOO

Guys on this site see a guy open and think it should be easy to make the throw not taking into account mechanics, play time, body position .. etc.. etc.. they see a guy running open and assume he was even in the progression!!

It was a hard fought playoff game and the best players decided the contest. Guys see Deshaun have a rough final month of the season, and conveniently forget he was in the MVP discussion most of the year. SMH.

How many people make up the buttchin brigade ? I can only think of …. One.

Reactions: JB

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

@TexansBull has it right …. Don't go down the rabbit hole.

Read , laugh , walk away … or skip it.

Its one guy's opinion and while it does have some basis in fact , its mostly wrong.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
He does seem to be in a lot of heads tho

I'm not saying otherwise ….

But why engage in something you know is going to go downhill ?

Watch the bear from a distance , don't run up to him and try to hit him with a stick … Its not gonna end well.

By engaging the bear in every thread …. people are helping to spread the … bear poo.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
LOL I mean crazy that a Watson fan would want to defend him against egregious slander and bold faced lies right? Dammit and I click "show ignored content" to catch up and I have to read Ol Tex talking about 2005 pocket quarterbacking in 2019. Interesting that the Fathers of Pocket Passing in Brady and Brees got BOUNCED!! SMH.

On the other thread there are Forrest Gump images likening Watson and his running ability to a box of chocolates!! I mean cmon man LOL. Everyone is playing their games and Im the bad guy because I like to call out all the bogus propaganda? OK.
How about deciphering what I said and disputing it with passing statistics of Watson out of the pocket? I called him a great QB, and you're still freaking out over one specific flaw I mentioned that he suffers from. Show us where that is not accurate.

And were you actually scoffing at the idea of making passes from the pocket? Did you not see who won the SB last season? Tom Brady did and he played another statue in the pocket in Goff who was an MVP candidate. Pocket passers are going nowhere. Ask Drew Brees who just threw for 27 TD's and 4 INT's in only like 11 games or how well Garropolo has played with San Fran as a natural pocket passer. That was literally one of the worst takes I've heard in here. It isn't pocket passers that need to prove their longevity in this league. They are this league. Its the high speed dual threat QB's that have to prove they can become long term fixtures in this league, because historically this is and will always be a passer's league.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

I wasn't going to respond to your posts until you made it a point to use my post (below in response to steelbtexan's suggestion) to attempt to defend the defense of YOUR "propaganda." It is quite evident that you missed or chose to ignore the most important point in my post.
Run Deshaun run

It's the playoffs.
"The problem with RUN DESHAUN RUN is...........

1578438732104.png

..............you never know what chocolate in the box of life Deshaun ends up with............1st down, little gain, TD, INT, sack or injury................but with his erratic decision-making up to now, there are more negative than positive chocolates in the box to choose from."

No one who would honestly evaluate Watson's overall performance up to now would not include that his decision-making is all too often questionable.

Attachments

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How many people make up the buttchin brigade ? I can only think of …. One.
I'm certainly not a fan of BOB and agree with you about letting him get out of the pocket/Run Deshaun Run more.

I just happen to think BOB's an avg HC.

Is it possible to be anti DW4 and Anti BOB?

I guess not in some posters eyes.

Last edited:

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I'm certainly not a fan of BOB and agree with you about letting him get out of the pocket/Run Deshaun Run more.

I just happen to think BOB's an avg HC.

Is it possible to be anti DW4 and Anti BOB?

I guess not in some posters eyes.
'Liked' your post even though I am not anti-Watson while I am anti ish Bob - In my opinion, Watson has the skill and the capacity to grow - I don't believe Bob has shown that in his 6 years (or at least it is very limited). I agree with him being an average coach.

Anyway - definitely agree that the need to pick a side Watson lover who calls all criticism of Watson blasphemy or a Bob's boy where nothing is the coach's fault gets tiring. What happened to our ability to have discussion on what we think even if we disagree? And it is perfectly acceptable to criticise or praise both when warranted.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I wasn't going to respond to your posts until you made it a point to use my post (below in response to steelbtexan's suggestion) to attempt to defend the defense of YOUR "propaganda." It is quite evident that you missed or chose to ignore the most important point in my post.

"The problem with RUN DESHAUN RUN is...........

View attachment 5326

..............you never know what chocolate in the box of life Deshaun ends up with............1st down, little gain, TD, INT, sack or injury................but with his erratic decision-making up to now, there are more negative than positive chocolates in the box to choose from."

No one who would honestly evaluate Watson's overall performance up to now would not include that his decision-making is all too often questionable.

So what is Bill O'brien's evaluation?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Ole girl said inspite of his head coach. We're not the only ones seeing what's really going on gents.
Even crazy Nick called out our coaching

Sort of surprised that anyone would quote Nick, who has always been considered a troll, in the "analyst" mold of Stephen A. Smith, who falsely reports and skews stories for the sole purpose of creating controversy............someone who was fired once from 610 then several years later came back and was again about to be fired just before he found his way to Fox Sport.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Sort of surprised that anyone would quote Nick, who has always been considered a troll, in the "analyst" mold of Stephen A. Smith, who falsely reports and skews stories for the sole purpose of creating controversy............someone who was fired once from 610 then several years later came back and was again about to be fired just before he found his way to Fox Sport.

What does him getting fired way back when have to do with anything. He's more closer to the action than the majority of us as well as getting paid big time for his hot take.

I posted this because it illustrates the point that we're not the only ones saying Obrien is the problem. I know you don't agree because you're one of his biggest fans on here.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
What does him getting fired way back when have to do with anything. He's more closer to the action than the majority of us as well as getting paid big time for his hot take.

I posted this because it illustrates the point that we're not the only ones saying Obrien is the problem. I know you don't agree because you're one of his biggest fans on here.
No. I just don't rag on him as much as many on here would want me to.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Wow! Kudos on the play and personnel grouping. At times, it's okay to use a blocking FB instead of a terrible blocking TE. Also, great job by Gillaspia not blocking the first defender at the twenty and instead blocking the second defender at the second level. If he blocks the first, the second defender would have had the angle on Watson.

Well designed and executed play.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Can you provide posts showing CND being a consistent fan of OB?

I personally am calling bullshit on you. I went through his recent posts and found one, maybe two that can be interpreted as a positive for OB out his last 20 or so posts. I have found much of his posting through the years to be related to transactions, his injury thread and, yes, the occasional post that says Watson needs to improve somewhere.

This is the prime example of posting something you feel negative about Watson which in turn you make it a positive of OB.

Prove me wrong.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

As for this game - Buffalo had a great scheme and executed it at a very high level while OB played right into it for 2+ quarters until he finally pulled his head out of his ass. Once they began to attack the edge of the defense , the course of the game changed
Yes.

At the same time, Watson is showing real progress playing from the pocket, progress he may not develop if BO'b allowed him to play sandlot football.

When the OL does their job, it's cake. Watson can study the field & deliver a strike.

When the OL does their job & the route combination presents quick, easy targets, it's euphoric. Ball comes out quick, chains move, everything is everything.

We've seen it happen. So we know it can. We just haven't seen the consistency we know we need to see to win it all.

BO'b & Watson need to figure out how to mesh both methodologies to get the most out of Watson & the Texans.

But now is not the time for that. Now BO'b needs to take a step back & get the most out of Watson. Attack the edges, put them on their heels, keep them guessing for 60 minutes.

But next season it would be nice not to see a major overhaul on the OL, or the backfield. It would be nice to build on what we have.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That True Grit was spearheaded by JJ Watt. Hopkins followed suit while Watson finished it off.
Watt & Hopkins were here before BO'b & we still folded like cheap suits. They never won 9 in a row before BO'b, they never made it through a season without a 3 game losing streak before BO'b. They never made it through a season without losing back to back games.

True Grit cowboy, it starts at the top.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
1st half there was nothing open!! OBrien ran out his BS offense,
You do know BO'b is not the one who says, "Hike!!!" right? I don't know the extent to which Watson can change plays, but I know he makes adjustments on every one. Sometimes it's just the protection, but other times he's telling the receivers to do something other than what they were told in the huddle.

Watch him before the snap, he's communicating with everyone.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He isn't a good consistent passer from the pocket without moving around. He makes the majority of his plays on the run or after he has escaped something. As a pocket technician by itself, he is very flawed. Still a great QB, but that would be one specific flaw.
What do you think of Mahomes?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Watt & Hopkins were here before BO'b & we still folded like cheap suits. They never won 9 in a row before BO'b, they never made it through a season without a 3 game losing streak before BO'b. They never made it through a season without losing back to back games.

True Grit cowboy, it starts at the top.

The coach didn't make the plays, the players did. Watts sack changed the momentum of the game. Watson changed # 34's route, broke a should be sandwich sack and delivered a perfect strike on the run while still having intense pressure in his face. That my friend is true grit by the players not the coach.

BwhiteshoesJ

Waterboy
But but Allen outplayed Watson. Lmao
the fact is the Texans had to go to overtime to win at home. That makes Texans far weaker than Ravens or Chiefs.
theres a chance Texans might win this game. But its a cold hard Given that they arent going to SB. And.. even if they do go to SB.. which I highly Doubt. Theres no chance in hell they win that game. The Texans have a decent Defense but they get lucky in spurts on offense. They have no consistency and thats why theyre a wildcard team. whether its the playoffs or the SB. the disappointment is coming. If youre an adult whos actually paid attention while watching sports for years. You absolutely know I am correct. Saying "anything can happen" is a bunch of childish malarky.

RGV82

Random guy
the fact is the Texans had to go to overtime to win at home. That makes Texans far weaker than Ravens or Chiefs.
theres a chance Texans might win this game. But its a cold hard Given that they arent going to SB. And.. even if they do go to SB.. which I highly Doubt. Theres no chance in hell they win that game. The Texans have a decent Defense but they get lucky in spurts on offense. They have no consistency and thats why theyre a wildcard team. whether its the playoffs or the SB. the disappointment is coming. If youre an adult whos actually paid attention while watching sports for years. You absolutely know I am correct. Saying "anything can happen" is a bunch of childish malarky.
An interesting fact - weird how the 4th seed is so much higher than the 3rd seed:

Teams with a first-round bye have made the Super Bowl 79.3% of the time.
Super Bowl Participants By Seed (Since 1990)Percentage
1 seed51.7%
2 seed27.6%
3 seed3.4%
4 seed12.1%
5 seed1.7%
6 seed3.4%

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
An interesting fact - weird how the 4th seed is so much higher than the 3rd seed:

Teams with a first-round bye have made the Super Bowl 79.3% of the time.
Super Bowl Participants By Seed (Since 1990)Percentage
1 seed51.7%
2 seed27.6%
3 seed3.4%
4 seed12.1%
5 seed1.7%
6 seed3.4%
Weirder how 3rd and 6th the same. Look how much higher 1st is than 2nd