Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Chargers game.

Pretty good stats and putting dollar bills in his Bank! I'm hoping and predicting a huge increase in cap space in the new CBA
Shame we cant tie him down to a cheap $35mill per year contract for 6 years before it hits.

Shame we cant tie him down to a cheap $35mill per year contract for 6 years before it hits.
Yes and I could be wrong but I think Watson would be willing to sign for somewhat less perhaps 30 million but I would not allow negotiations to sour him.

always start DeShaun Watson. I listened to JB (and I wasn't even drunk) and started Rivers. Cost me 10 pts. But we got the win.

They did one thing I absolutely loved, they caused a turnover (Rivers fumble) and turned it into 7 pts. More of that please.

I'm hoping this using TEs thing (Ted?) is a permanent strategy adjustment and not a one game fluke. I might have to pick up Akins and dump Jimmy Graham.

We can actually win when DHop has an off day.

And is it just me or does Watson play better from behind?

Bill O'Brien and Snoop Dog...? Didn't see that coming.
https://www.houstontexans.com/video/exclusive-o-brien-speech-snoop-dogg-breakdown

just to clarify Ted is for typos only. I am in the process of trademarking it

Something else I noticed, Watson is starting to trust WRs not named Hopkins. Fuller used to have the dropsies.
Seems like the addition of Stills cured Fuller's stone hands cause he made some tough, contested catches.
Let's hope this continues.
His hands were much improved last year and was running some good routes and making some clutch catches before he found his way to the IR list.

Something else I noticed, Watson is starting to trust WRs not named Hopkins. Fuller used to have the dropsies.
Seems like the addition of Stills cured Fuller's stone hands cause he made some tough, contested catches.
Let's hope this continues.

Honestly Watson already had that connection with Fuller. The two were on a tear last year before, well, the inevitable injury to Fuller. He had already accumulated 500 yards receiving and 4td's in just 7 games so was on pace for a 1k year. Let us pray he stays healthy this year though Stills has proven to be a heck of an addition.

One takeaway I would have from the game though someone may have mentioned it already is Joseph, after continuing to get beat underneath, finally stopped playing so deep off the receiver constantly. He finally began challenging his man on the line or not being too far back and had much better results. Whether it continues remains to be seen since it may be a coaching adjustment and Crennel tends to switch back to his status quo before long.

So important to win before that big contract hits …. $35m a year just seems silly to me. 15% of the total cap allotment to one player when you have 53 on a roster and 22 starters. That's insanity.
Yeah , the QB is important but so are all the pieces around him.
That huge number makes it real hard to put a good team around that QB.

So important to win before that big contract hits …. $35m a year just seems silly to me. 15% of the total cap allotment to one player when you have 53 on a roster and 22 starters. That's insanity.

I believe that hit will start next year or the year after. Not to mention they'll also be making Tunsil the highest paid LT next year

I agree and that is the QB hell that most teams in the NFL are facing these days. Sadly its the reality of the modern, QB driven NFL. Its what has kept Greenbay, Chargers, Detroit and a few other teams from being able to take the next step. Honestly when people say Brady is the key to NEs success its not just his arm its the fact that he restructures his contract so that his year to get paid fall on a year where they don't have to pay a lot of other big contracts. A big part of me actually hoping Watson might be of the same mindset but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree and that is the QB hell that most teams in the NFL are facing these days. Sadly its the reality of the modern, QB driven NFL. Its what has kept Greenbay, Chargers, Detroit and a few other teams from being able to take the next step. Honestly when people say Brady is the key to NEs success its not just his arm its the fact that he restructures his contract so that his year to get paid fall on a year where they don't have to pay a lot of other big contracts. A big part of me actually hoping Watson might be of the same mindset but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree, but I'm afraid Brady is a sports unicorn. I figure Deshaun will be one of those $40 million/year QBs, especially if his deal is done after Mahomes gets paid.

Watson is certainly worth franchise QB money, but obviously it impacts the economics for the rest of the team.

I believe this is because Giselle is worth more than Brady is. We need to find Watson a sugar momma

On Brady , he has already made a lot of money ($235M) …. the length of his career plays a role there , not to mention his wife has made more than him over the course of that time. His cap hit this year is still a hefty $21.5m which is 10.73% of the cap. Yeah , its less than many others , but still a big chunk of the cap.

Most of the others get one big contract and want to get as much as they possibly can - more importantly from a competitive standpoint is that big contract usually coincides with the best years of their careers.

Salaries have gone crazy in the last decade. in 2009 Brady and Brees made $20m combined. Now that doesn't buy one of them and the only players who come within sniffing distance of that type of salary are stand out pass rushers.

There was a stat last season where 8 out of the 10 top paid QBs didn't make it to the playoffs (iirc). The top 6 didn't make it to the postseason.

Giving quarterbacks big money doesn’t guarantee success or even playoff appearances.

The NFL’s six highest-paid quarterbacks in 2018 will be spectators this postseason. Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers ($33.5 million), Atlanta’s Matt Ryan ($30 million), Minnesota’s Kirk Cousins ($28 million), San Francisco’s Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5 million), Detroit’s Matthew Stafford ($27 million) and Oakland’s Derek Carr ($25 million) couldn’t lead their teams to the playoffs.

Source

There was a stat last season where 8 out of the 10 top paid QBs didn't make it to the playoffs (iirc). The top 6 didn't make it to the postseason.

Yeah, I think Dallas might be wise to let Dak walk.

I mean, once you pay a QB that much, what's the point? You likely can't build up a winner after that.

The media is doing everything possible to make it seem like teams have to do this.

Yeah, I think Dallas might be wise to let Dak walk.

I mean, once you pay a QB that much, what's the point? You likely can't build up a winner after that.

The media is doing everything possible to make it seem like teams have to do this.

Yep. It's a very interesting correlation, but it makes sense. I found this article with the above one I posted:
The Curse of a Salary-Cap-Eating Quarterback

Big-money quarterbacks like Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, and Aaron Rodgers are sitting at home during the playoffs, while the Rams, Chiefs, and Texans have built contenders around young starters still on their rookie deals. The lesson is obvious if NFL teams pay attention.

---------------------------------

The problem with teams committing so much of their cap space to quarterbacks is that it is clearly an unsuccessful strategy. None of the five highest-paid quarterbacks in 2018 by average salary—Rodgers, Atlanta’s Matt Ryan, Minnesota’s Kirk Cousins, Garoppolo, and Detroit’s Matthew Stafford—made the playoffs. Only Cousins came close. It’s overly simplistic to say that paying a quarterback a lot of money prohibits a team from being successful. New Orleans’s Drew Brees, Indianapolis’s Andrew Luck, and Seattle’s Russell Wilson each make over $20 million a year. We’re dealing with a small sample size, but what is clear from the 2018 season is that there are too many quarterbacks being paid like superstars. And it’s very bad for team-building if your highly paid quarterback doesn’t play like a superstar.

Source

Yep. It's a very interesting correlation, but it makes sense. I found this article with the above one I posted:

Well I started looking at Rodgers salary at $35 Mill a season last year and I was like man that's got to be hard to build a roster around that if you aren't drafting really well. Rodgers is worth it because he is a once and a lifetime QB, but most others aren't. I'm so sick of this idea that team owners have to over pay so many guys all because some other idiot owner will. With the way that FA's get paid off of the last largest contract of all time for basically the entire top 15 QB's in the league once they become FA's is one of the most broken systems I've ever seen. Problem for a team like the Cowboys with Dak is that if you let him go, you've got to have another plan and who is going to have that?

For example if I was the Cowboys and Foles was available I'd rather have a guy like him at his salary than paying around $40 Mill a season which is what the league keeps saying Dak should demand.

Is there a multiple-year study...at least a couple of those QBs have plenty of playoff games and even success

I'd be interested in checking it out.

About half of the top 10 don't deserve it, IMO. I'm sure you can figure out the five that I'm talking about (maybe this year they'll earn it, though):
  • 1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
  • 2. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
  • 3. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
  • 4. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
  • 5. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
  • 6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
  • 7. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
  • 8. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 million
  • 9. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million
  • 10. Saints QB Drew Brees: $25 million

I'd be interested in checking it out.

About half of the top 10 don't deserve it, IMO. I'm sure you can figure out the five that I'm talking about (maybe this year they'll earn it, though):
  • 1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
  • 2. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
  • 3. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
  • 4. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
  • 5. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
  • 6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
  • 7. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
  • 8. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 million
  • 9. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million
  • 10. Saints QB Drew Brees: $25 million

Look at how well the Rams, Eagles, and Seahawks were able to stack their teams when they had the low QB salaries. The Texans were the only team that seemed to have no idea on how to accomplish that roster wise.

Is there a multiple-year study...at least a couple of those QBs have plenty of playoff games and even success

Sure they have playoff success …. before the big contract. After that , their teams are so limited financially that unless they nail a draft or two , they have trouble filling in around those QB's.

Couple recent examples -

Aaron Rodgers won a superbowl in 2011. That year he made $7.25m which was 6.17% of the cap according to Spotrac.

Russel Wilson won a superbowl in 2014 , his cap hit for that year was $817,302 a whopping 0.60% of the cap.

Nick Foles won a superbowl in 2017 , his cap hit for that year was $1.6m 0.91% of the cap.

The only outlier from 2008 thru today is Ben Roethlisberger who had a cap hit of $27.7m that year.

Everything else in recent history is Brady / Manning.

Having a good QB is only half the equation - you have to build a good team around him.

Has nothing to do with my post. I was not against trading him; against components of it. Neither team paying him 16 but one is paying for him to be gone when they could have just removed the tag and got a third.

But they got a third and 2 special teamers at worst. Also there were rumours he wasn't the best team player

But they got a third and 2 special teamers at worst. Also there were rumours he wasn't the best team player

If he wasn't liked in the locker room then yeah it might have been worth it to move him out as you really can't put a value on team morale but we will never know for sure unless several of the Texans come out and say it and that rarely happens in the NFL. As it was once they tagged him they should have just played the hand out instead of not taking any new cards then folding when the pot started getting big. I haven't noticed if the two guys have made any kind of impact and odds are we would have gotten at least a third comp pick next year for him walking so, using just the facts that we know, it was a bad deal.

Look at how well the Rams, Eagles, and Seahawks were able to stack their teams when they had the low QB salaries. The Texans were the only team that seemed to have no idea on how to accomplish that roster wise.

Been saying this since Watson was drafted.

Gotta strike while Watson is on his rookie deal.

Maybe not. But it might be better than the 0 tackles you're paying $7M for.

I don't, & haven't heard any complaints or laments from the locker room. In fact, their play on the field looks more like rallying around a decision they were all in favor of.

Worth $7M? I don't know about that. But like all of BO'bs decisions. We won't know the value until some time in January. Hopefully late January.

Back