Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from game 1 - Jags.

Dejaview

All Pro
Emphasizes just how pitiful the whole fricking franchise was under buttchin. Obviously still a little upset how he screwed up the Texans for so long while he was here and even after he left. But Calboy let him do it. Pleasantly surprised but this team is in full rebuild mode. Always nice to win vs sucking.
Just my opinion as always.
Actually his Dad let him do it for the most part. In the aftermath of Bob’s death Cal made OB a GM but he never had his dad’s “ don’t change anything “ attitude. He didn’t sit on that experiment too long despite OB winning just enough to hold his job. IMO Cal > Bob.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Makes me wonder how well Watson understands the game. Matt Schaub was really good about getting the team into the right play. With Watson it often looked like the wrong play.

I agree a lot of that is on BO'b & TK... but at the end of the day, it's the QB looking over the defense before the ball is snapped.
To be fair...

2017 - Watson's first game ever, where he wasn't prepped to even play in that game. (not to mention that Jags team almost went to the Super Bowl)
2018 - @ New England
2019 - @ Saints
2020 - @ Kansas City

Watson hasn't had a chance to start a season w/ a layup.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Makes me wonder how well Watson understands the game. Matt Schaub was really good about getting the team into the right play. With Watson it often looked like the wrong play.

I agree a lot of that is on BO'b & TK... but at the end of the day, it's the QB looking over the defense before the ball is snapped.
Even though many claimed for years that Schaub wasn't allowed to audible. The fact of the matter was Kubiak believe there were options in each play to attack the defense and you didn't need all of these checks at the LOS. The QB has to find the option in the play called instead of constantly changing the play at the LOS. Schaub would check-in or out of a play that was called and find that option. As a result, the QB, WRs and OL did not have to make all of these decisions at the LOS. This is one of the major differences between the WCO and EP offenses and who is doing the implementation.

At the end of the day, what you are remembering about Schaub is more of a reflection on Kubiak, his philosophy and his play calling ability versus O'Brien's over engineered offense. For what it's worth. Clint Stoerner on 610 mentioned it appears the offense has been simplified. The QB is not getting to the LOS and constantly having the OL wait in their stance while the QB is making these adjustments at the LOS. This year, they have reduce many of the QB/OL/WR adjustments at the LOS. Hopefully, that will lead to a more efficient offense.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Emphasizes just how pitiful the whole fricking franchise was under buttchin. Obviously still a little upset how he screwed up the Texans for so long while he was here and even after he left. But Calboy let him do it. Pleasantly surprised but this team is in full rebuild mode. Always nice to win vs sucking.
Just my opinion as always.
Agreed, between BOB/RS they had a bunch of selfish trashy leaders on the team. It's great to see the trash getting taken out and a more team 1st approach be implemented.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Agreed, between BOB/RS they had a bunch of selfish trashy leaders on the team. It's great to see the trash getting taken out and a more team 1st approach be implemented.
This post goes directly to my next point. When the Dlineman got injured and the team went on to the field…not sure that happens with an OB coached team.

I didn’t like that the RTs kept rotating. Maybe it was just quarters but still. Then I think someone answered my question, Canon didn’t have an off season? Then understandable.

Team looking prepared is refreshing. I’m glad they didn’t let the rook QB beat them.
It’s the Jags, so there is that. Still think this is only a 5 win team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Urban also doesn't have Plan B free agency available to quickly restock his roster with starters like Novacheck, James Washington, Vinson Smith and others.
No, he just has regular FA, so this excuse really isn't valid.

The Texans signed a bunch of guys that are like the guys you listed this offseason.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

This is what it looks like when you have a dumb QB trying to run the offense Brady used to run. The 2 offenses look nothing alike.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Even though many claimed for years that Schaub wasn't allowed to audible. The fact of the matter was Kubiak believe there were options in each play to attack the defense and you didn't need all of these checks at the LOS. The QB has to find the option in the play called instead of constantly changing the play at the LOS. Schaub would check-in or out of a play that was called and find that option. As a result, the QB, WRs and OL did not have to make all of these decisions at the LOS.

At the end of the day, what you are remembering about Schaub is more of a reflection on Kubiak, his philosophy and his play calling ability versus O'Brien's over engineered offense. For what it's worth. Clint Stoerner on 610 mentioned it appears the offense has been simplified. The QB is not getting to the LOS and constantly having the OL wait in their stance while the QB is making these adjustments at the LOS. This year, they have reduce many of the QB/OL/WR adjustments at the LOS. Hopefully, that will lead to a more efficient offense.
Kelly must have gotten alot smarter this offseason, or the Texans are getting much smarter play/decision making from the QB position.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This post goes directly to my next point. When the Dlineman got injured and the team went on to the field…not sure that happens with an OB coached team.

I didn’t like that the RTs kept rotating. Maybe it was just quarters but still. Then I think someone answered my question, Canon didn’t have an off season? Then understandable.

Team looking prepared is refreshing. I’m glad they didn’t let the rook QB beat them.
It’s the Jags, so there is that. Still think this is only a 5 win team.
Agreed,

It wont bother me if they only win 5 games. I'm like that if looks like there's a plan in place from the FO to coaching to players performing on the field.

It's been a decade since the FO/HC were on the same page. About bleeping time.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Dejaview

All Pro
Kelly must have gotten alot smarter this offseason, or the Texans are getting much smarter play/decision making from the QB position.
The OL is better and will be better still when Cannon and Heck get back plus a few more games to jell. But to me the biggest change and one that really confused the Jags was that bunched TE set that they could run or pass out of. Great to see a TE presence again making catches, running pick routes and blocking for the run game. And TT is much more the team player/leader.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The OL is better and will be better still when Cannon and Heck get back plus a few more games to jell. But to me the biggest change and one that really confused the Jags was that bunched TE set that they could run or pass out of. Great to see a TE presence again making catches, running pick routes and blocking for the run game. And TT is much more the team player/leader.
Kelly could've been calling these types of plays last yr but he wasn't.

I think we know what the main difference is, although I agree with you about the OL play. Dont forget about Britt and the huge upgrade at the C position and the OL calls. I think last yr the QB was making the protection calls at the LOS. Atleast that's what Brady did at Foxboro in the same offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One of the things I didn't like about WD40 is that he didn't like to throw the shorter routes that were available. He almost always tried to go for the big play.
Highlight reel plays over making plays to get 1st downs to control the clock and keep a poor defense off the field.

That's what the 3rd string QB was all about.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
57% Third down conversion

We held the Jags to 3/7 on third down

Trevor Lawrence completed 55% of his passes, 3 TDs, & 3 INTs

Carlos Hyde & James Robinson ran for 5 ypc

Dj Chark (who can't catch) & Marvin Jones had over 75 yards

There was only one sack yesterday, but Josh Allen was making Tunsil work, he was beat several times, just didn't turn into sacks.

None of our RBs were even close to 4 ypc, but three of them scored TDs.

Tyrod completed 63% of his passes, 2 TDs, no INTs

Brandin Cooks had a monster game

Pharoah Brown had a good game... Jordan Akins played well also, though he didn't catch any passes.

Those three INTs, coverage was good, zone coverage & a hurried QB.

I'm not complaining. A win is a win. & I loved yesterday's win. But there's a lot of improvement to be had.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Let's try to remember that if O'Brien only coached against the Jags (10-2 lifetime), he'd be fitted for a HOF jacket. And Watson never lost to Jacksonville as a starter.

Let's keep it real.
What's real is Vegas and many other prognosticators thought this would be an 0-17 team. (Including amateur ones like yourself) This certainly doesn't look like that bad of a team.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was pleasantly surprised by the team's preparation and execution against a less than stellar opponent. I thought OC Kelly called a pretty good game with no major WTF calls and seemed like a completely different play caller than he was under O'Brien. Hardly surprising but still a very welcomed sight to see. Hopefully I'll be at the game this Sunday since I live about 45 minutes from the stadium.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
57% Third down conversion

We held the Jags to 3/7 on third down

Trevor Lawrence completed 67% of his passes, 3 TDs, & 3 INTs

Carlos Hyde & James Robinson ran for 5 ypc

Dj Chark (who can't catch) & Marvin Jones had over 75 yards

There was only one sack yesterday, but Josh Allen was making Tunsil work, he was beat several times, just didn't turn into sacks.

None of our RBs were even close to 4 ypc, but three of them scored TDs.

Tyrod completed 63% of his passes, 2 TDs, no INTs

Brandin Cooks had a monster game

Pharoah Brown had a good game... Jordan Akins played well also, though he didn't catch any passes.

Those three INTs, coverage was good, zone coverage & a hurried QB.

I'm not complaining. A win is a win. & I loved yesterday's win. But there's a lot of improvement to be had.
The only stat that truly matters is who outscored who.

vtech9

All Pro
I was pleasantly surprised by the team's preparation and execution against a less than stellar opponent. I thought OC Kelly called a pretty good game with no major WTF calls and seemed like a completely different play caller than he was under O'Brien. Hardly surprising but still a very welcomed sight to see. Hopefully I'll be at the game this Sunday since I live about 45 minutes from the stadium.
I keep seeing this, but I'm not sure if it's true. Like I said above WD40 always went for the homerun instead of taking the underneath routes to move the ball gradually. Kelly could have called the exact same game, but it could look completely different based on the QB play. I don't know how many times I saw WD40 pass up open guys short to try and find someone deep. Sometimes he would eventually come back to the dump off, but the underneath route was very rarely his first choice unless it was D-Hop.

mws

Rookie
Some interesting stats from the game.

The Texans had 21 third downs and converted 12 of them (57%). The average was third and 3.5 yards. What that tells me is they had very few 1st & 2nd downs for negative yards including penalties.

Time of possession - Texans 35:04 Jaguars 24:56

Texans had 75 plays and averaged 6 yards per play.

I understand that this is probably as much because the Jaguars played poorly as the Texans played great.

They are built to be a ball control offense & at least against this opponent they executed it without any major mistakes.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Some interesting stats from the game.

The Texans had 21 third downs and converted 12 of them (57%). The average was third and 3.5 yards. What that tells me is they had very few 1st & 2nd downs for negative yards including penalties.

Time of possession - Texans 35:04 Jaguars 24:56

Texans had 75 plays and averaged 6 yards per play.

I understand that this is probably as much because the Jaguars played poorly as the Texans played great.

They are built to be a ball control offense & at least against this opponent they executed it without any major mistakes.
3rd and 3.5 and I heard Ingram avg'd 3.5 over all.

mws

Rookie
3rd and 3.5 and I heard Ingram avg'd 3.5 over all.
You are actually giving him a little more credit than he deserves. He actually averaged 3.3 yards per carry.

Overall rushing stats were 41 attempts for 160 yards with a 3.9 yards per carry average. That includes Taylor who averaged 10 yards per carry.

If you break the RBs down you have.

Mark Ingram 26 carries for 85 yards with a 3.3 yards per carry average.

Phillip Lindsay 8 carries for 25 yards with a 3.1 yards per carry average.

David Johnson 3 carries for 10 yards with a 3.3 yards per carry average.

That will not cut it for a team that is going to live and die by the rushing game.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You are actually giving him a little more credit than he deserves. He actually averaged 3.3 yards per carry.

Overall rushing stats were 41 attempts for 160 yards with a 3.9 yards per carry average. That includes Taylor who averaged 10 yards per carry.

If you break the RBs down you have.

Mark Ingram 26 carries for 85 yards with a 3.3 yards per carry average.

Phillip Lindsay 8 carries for 25 yards with a 3.1 yards per carry average.

David Johnson 3 carries for 10 yards with a 3.3 yards per carry average.

That will not cut it for a team that is going to live and die by the rushing game.
On top of that, they allowed two RBs avg 5 ypc. That’s not going to work against anyone but the worst team in the league