Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steve McKinney

Mistril48

Rookie
There have been a lot of posting here suggesting that McKinney is just an average O-lineman. Perhaps he is. I confess I don't watch his play or the play of other centers to offer a fair comment. I believe he did make a noteworthy contribution last night, however. On Hollings big reception on the screen pass to Carr's right, I believe than Weary (RG) made a nice block at the line of scrimmage to spring Hollings and Mckinney was charging way down field to occupy 2 blcokers, allowing Hollings to cut back to the middle for the big gain.

If I'm correct, I think he showed great hustle and commitment to 'finish the play'.

That was a nice hustle block by Weary and I saw him do some good things. The whole line did a solid job and Pitts was looking dominant at times. I think We will have an outstanding line and Weary will be a part of it.

I think you may be confused. We say he is a very solid center. Better then most however he is not a pro bowl calibar center yet. Before the Texans he was performing at a pro bowl level at guard. Anyway you put it he is an outstanding lineman just think he was a better guard then center.

he is more of a finesse blocker, while he is great in space and pulls and traps, he gets owned by huge DTs such as stroud, henderson, and hayensworth when they are lined up over him.

done88 said:
I think you may be confused. We say he is a very solid center. Better then most however he is not a pro bowl calibar center yet. Before the Texans he was performing at a pro bowl level at guard. Anyway you put it he is an outstanding lineman just think he was a better guard then center.
How many Pro Bowls did McKinney play in as a guard? That's right, zero.

He was an OK guard in a finesse offense. He could not play guard in the Texans offense.

I've always thought he was a smart player and all but pretty average in terms of comparison to others. But then again in years past the whole line was average or below. Maybe it'll be a breakout year for him.

Weary looked good on play against a matchup that heavlily favored him, other than that, he was a slug.

Fiddy said:
Dont forget Jenkins...

Jenkins is arguably the best DT in the league, but we only will see him (fortunately) every 4 years. The three he mentioned we see twice a year.

BornOrange said:
How many Pro Bowls did McKinney play in as a guard? That's right, zero.

He was an OK guard in a finesse offense. He could not play guard in the Texans offense.
I said he played at a pro bowl level. How has James done since he left. I betcha Manning would love to have him back. You can say what you want but when he was in Indy I saw him pancache a lot of defensive ends. He may not be as big but he uses leverage and foot work to make up for lack of size. He has since High school. We both learned from coach VanClark(Former Line coach for Pardee) in High School. That type of blocking is not finesse by any means. However from the center position he does not have the chance to show that anymore.

done88 said:
I said he played at a pro bowl level. How has James done since he left.
James had 1551 total yards and 11 TD's last year. Pretty impressive numbers for a guy after some big-time knee surgery. McKinney was never a dominant Guard, even back with the Colts. He is a solid NFL lineman but he has never been a top-10 Guard.

BradK10 said:
Of course BornOrange will talk down about McKinney, he's a horn.
I am not talking down about McKinney. I don't care if he was an aggie in college. Ray Childress was my favorite Oiler behind Earl Campbell. Aaron Glenn is one of my favorite Texans.

My point about McKinney is that center is his best position, especially in the Texans offense. Even though the Texans have said they like athletic guards who can pull, the actual type of guards they have pursued are bigger guards who can overpower at the point of attack. The three guys the Texans have drafted to play guard (Pitts, Brown, Weary) are all bigger than McKinney. I know what the official weights say, but just looking at them you can tell that those three guys all have 15-20 pounds on McKinney.

What the Texans want out of their center is someone who is a little bigger than the average center who can hold his own against a nose tackle without requiring a double team. It was mentioned that McKinney hasn't done well against Stroud, Henderson, Jenkins. Well guess what? No center does well against those guys without help.

McKinney may not be a Pro-Bowl caliber center, but he is a better than average center who fits the Texans system.

Back