Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Post Combine Mock

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rd.1 Jordan Davis DT Georgia- biggest baddest man in this draft. Run game eliminator, with his 10 yd split a DL coach should be able to develop him into a multiple time pro bowler.

Rd.2 Sam Williams DE Mississippi - Fastest DE in the draft, plays hard and is just starting to figure out a pass rush plan. Had a rape charge dropped in college and hasn't had a bit of problems since. Reminds me of Justin Houstin.

Rd.3 Jamaree Salyer OG Georgia- As everybody knows I think he's a top 40 guy but most have him falling to below 68. If he's not there give me Cole Strange.

Rd.3 Tariq Wollen CB UT-San Antonio- Most physically gifted CB in this class. Long with good arm length ran 4.30. Keep this guy in state.

Rd.4 Zyon McCollum CB Sam Houston- Another tall long CB that runs in the 4.3's. Scored in the 99% Sparq category. Just scratching the surface of his ability. I would trade up into the back half of the 3rd to draft him. 2nd choice Kalon Barnes. Gonna add speed to the CB's.

Rd.6 Justin Schaffer OG Georgia - The other OG at Georgia, Big tough dude that's fundamentally sound. I'm betting he can grow into a starting role like another Caserio draft pick with the Pats (Onwenu)

Rd.6 Grant Calcatera TE SMU- Guy can get down the seams and has great hands. Reminds me alot of Mark Andrews. Only reason he falls this far is concussion issues. Ran 4.62 at the combine.

Rd. 6 Jequez Ezzard Slot WR Sam Houston- Guys a playmaker, tough guy that can run, good ST's guy. Electric slot guy.

Rd. 7 Reed Blankenship - S Middle Tennesse St. - Guy is just one of those guys that's always where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there. Will be a great ST's guy.

UDFA Signing Master Teague RB Ohio St., Stephen Carr RB Indiana, Keontay Ingram RB USC, Snoop Conner RB Missippi.

In FA I'm looking at signing Maron Mack/Jordan Wilkins to go with Burkhead and one of the UDFA's. Mack/Wilkins are cheap FA signings.

TE's in FA- Ebron/Rudloph/Dwelley sign 1 or 2 of these guys on prove it deals. They should be cheaper than usual due to the UDFA class.

WR in FA- James Washington- He hasn't been in any 200 FA lists that I've seen but he would be an upgrade.

Lower end vet min guys I would look at as slot WR's are Trent Taylor, Ritchie James and Jalen Hurd.

BTW, I'm keeping Tunsil and playing Howard at LG, plus re-signing Taylor.

This mock/FA adds playmaking pass rushers to the DL and A DL of Greenard/Collins/Davis/Williams would help solve a lot of the issues they've had against the run.

It also adds 2 long fast playmaking CB's who while raw are some of the most physically gifted CB's in this draft.

You cant go wrong drafting the 2 massive Georgia OG's.

Speed/Speed and more speed with these picks. Something that has been badly missing down on Kirby for quite a while now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Nice draft! Though I suspect Woolen goes top 50 if not sneaking into first.

Joejuan Williams went 45 overall to Pats in 2019 and Woolen is a bigger faster prospect.

But DB is deep this year so we’ll see!

Nice draft! Though I suspect Woolen goes top 50 if not sneaking into first.

Joejuan Williams went 45 overall to Pats in 2019 and Woolen is a bigger faster prospect.

But DB is deep this year so we’ll see!

Yeah, Woolen was my guy and my guys usually get kicked up a round or 2 from where they were originally slated to be drafted. Guys long and can really run and has good change of direction for a big CB.

I will be happy with McCollum in the 3rd. He tested out about as well as Woolen and is very talented in his own right. I'm hoping because he's a developmental guy Barnes fall to 115.

This draft would certainly improve the Texans. I would like to do a mock but I'm waiting on 3 outcomes that would cause dramatic differences in my mock.

#1 Do the Texans trade Tunsil? If so, Charles Cross is my pick at #3. Travon Walker is a DC dream, he can line up at every position in the front seven.

#2 Do the Texans sign Maliek Collins? If not, hopefully trade back and pick up Jordan Davis, Devonte Wyatt. No trade, take Logan Hall at #37.

#3 Do Texans sign Justin Reid? If not a safety is a strong consideration in RD 3.

Hopefully, next week will answers a lot of questions.

Last edited:
We need a game wrecker on that defensive front. That’s the first pick I’m going with. Then I’m selecting some weapons after that. I’m hoping Cincinnati will give us that late first round pick and late third round pick for Tunsil. Then I can snatch up a offensive linemen with our third round pick.
I was pretty impressed with how our make shift offensive line performed in the last five games. I will give them guys another go at it for continuity/ chemistry purposes.

This draft would certainly improve the Texans. I would like to do a mock but I'm waiting on 3 outcomes that would cause dramatic differences in my mock.

#1 Do the Texans trade Tunsil? If so, Charles Cross is my pick at #3. Travon Walker is a DC dream, he can line up at every position in the front seven.

#2 Do the Texans sign Maliek Collins? If not, hopefully trade back and pick up Jordan Davis, Devonte Wyatt. No trade, take Logan Hall at #37.

#3 Do Texans sign Justin Reid? If not a safety is a strong consideration in RD 3.

Hopefully, next week will answers a lot of questions.
Agreed,

I'm keeping Rusil and using my high picks to load up on Georgia guys. I'm also thinking Walker at 1-3 might be a better pick than Davis.

I've heard they really want to re-sign Collins.

We need a game wrecker on that defensive front. That’s the first pick I’m going with. Then I’m selecting some weapons after that. I’m hoping Cincinnati will give us that late first round pick and late third round pick for Tunsil. Then I can snatch up a offensive linemen with our third round pick.
I was pretty impressed with how our make shift offensive line performed in the last five games. I will give them guys another go at it for continuity/ chemistry purposes.

Then you can expect the offense to continue to suck. The only decent defense they played was the 49ers and predictably they got shutdown. It won't be because of coaching either.

I like everything about Jordan Davis except the fact he is 6'-6". He scares me as an early pick. Low man wins inside, I think he will play a long time in the NFL but won't be the difference maker / All-Pro player you hope to get with a top 5 pick. He reminds me of Michael Brockers, only better at running a 40.

I like everything about Jordan Davis except the fact he is 6'-6". He scares me as an early pick. Low man wins inside, I think he will play a long time in the NFL but won't be the difference maker / All-Pro player you hope to get with a top 5 pick. He reminds me of Michael Brockers, only better at running a 40.
OL’s probably average somewhere round his height these days

@steelbtexan help me understand. Isn’t what he suggested basically what you did in this mock?

Yes except I'm keeping Tunsil and drafting a couple of OG's fairly high.

Tunsil/Schafer/Britt/Salyer/ let Howard and Heck fight it out for the RT position.

I also like Strange alot in the 3rd.

I've changed my mind and I'm wanting Walker at 1-3.

Fix the lines on both sides of the ball. This is the yr to do this.

Last edited:

I'm now wanting Walker at 1-3.

Edge over NT.

Without any skilled players for Mills to get the ball too. Like you told me,we will see the same old crap from last season. You need a top notch running back. We can not go into the season with Rex as our starting running back. Pep loves to utilize the TE’s, therefore we need another stud TE. We only have one on the roster. And you’re going to need Cook’s replacement. Adding a speedy WR would do that offense some wonders. One that can run all the routes, deep threat, fast as heck and can block.

Last edited:
Steel here’s my little mock I did on another thread.

1 (3) Aiden Hutchinson-DE-Michigan
1 (31) Chris Olave- WR-Ohio State
2 (37) Breece Hall- RB-Iowa State
3 (68) Darian Kinnard-OT- Kentucky
3 (80) Ahmad Gardner- CB- Cincinnati
3 (95) Zion Johnson- OG- Boston College
4 (130) Derrick Deese Jr.- TE-San Jose State
6 (183) Marcus Jones- CB- Houston
6 (202) Christian Watson- WR- North Dakota State
7 ( 248) Jesse Luketa- LB- Penn State

Without any skilled players for Mills to get the ball too. Like you told me,we will see the same old crap from last season. You need a top notch running back. We can not go into the season with Rex as our starting running back. Pep loves to utilize the TE’s, therefore we need another stud TE. We only have one on the roster. And you’re going to need Cook’s replacement. Adding a speedy WR would do that offense some wonders. One that can run all the routes, deep threat, fast as heck and can block.

I'm adding skill position guys in FA.

Guys that have started and are young. Mack/Wilkins and adding another RB as a udfa to go along with Burkhead.

TE's Drafted Calcatera who's very talented and added Ebron/Dwelley who's a very good blocker to go along with Jordan and the other blocking TE that's already on the roster. I do like Deese.

WR's I'm adding Washington who is young and talented in FA and then scouring the WW for a slot wr.

Bottom line is Caserio isn't going to be able to fix everything in one year. This is the year to fix the trenches and the strength of the draft appears to be DL and Secondary. You should just draft the best players when you have as many holes as the Calhoun's have on their roster.

I do like your mock I just believe in building through the trenches..

Now way Gardner lasts until the 3rd Rd. He's probably going top 10 and same with Zion Johnson, he's probably going in the back half of the 1st..

Watson may go in the 1st and you've got him in the 6th?

Glad you changed from Davis to Walker. His versatility, ability to pass rush inside out and stop the run are type of traits teams covet. Hutchinson is more ready but have feeling Trevon will be considered the elite player, by second contract, franchise edge.

Sam Williams made himself some money, great combine but his background does not check out and probably not Texan culture worthy. No problem for a team like KC but not a chance for Telesco or Caserio.

Salyer/Strange both very good pieces. Everything banks on Tunsil but frankly I’m tired of being tied to him and like Easterby really want to move on and close the book on this ugly part of Houston Texan history. We need a new LT for the future!

Woolen could and probably will convert to safety. Similar body type (6-4 205 33 5/8” arm length) as Hamilton (6-4 220 33” arm length) yet more explosive. Of course, he is extremely raw with huge learning curve. This pick really depends on his meeting with Lovie and coaching staff, how they feel, would they make commitment to long term project, high reward/risk pick.

Zion tested off the board. You said that you can’t scout CB’s but you picked a really good one here. Can’t imagine he lasts this long? Would be a great addition to secondary!

Last edited:
Glad you changed from Davis to Walker. His versatility, ability to pass rush inside out and stop the run are type of traits teams covet. Hutchinson is more ready but have feeling Trevon will be considered the elite player, by second contract, franchise edge.

Sam Williams made himself some money, great combine but his background does not check out and probably not Texan culture worthy. No problem for a team like KC but not a chance for Telesco or Caserio.

Salyer/Strange both very good pieces. Everything banks on Tunsil but frankly I’m tired of being tied to him and like Easterby really want to move on and close the book on this ugly part of Houston Texan history. We need a new LT for the future!

Woolen could and probably will convert to safety. Similar body type (6-4 205 33 5/8” arm length) as Hamilton (6-4 220 33” arm length) yet more explosive. Of course, he is extremely raw with huge learning curve. This pick really depends on his meeting with Lovie and coaching staff, how they feel, would they make commitment to long term project, high reward/risk pick.

Zion tested off the board. You said that you can’t scout CB’s but you picked a really good one here. Can’t imagine he lasts this long? Would be a great addition to secondary!

Thanks for the reply.

I'm hoping that a Walker/Wyatt duo at 1-3/2-37. Doubt this happens though.

Teams like the Chiefs/Pats being able to draft guys like Williams, while teams like the Chargers/Calhoun's not being able to draft these kinds of guys will keep the Chiefs/Pats one step ahead of the guys down on Kirby. We will see if Caserio is allowed to pick the best players or if the Not Texans Worth boardroom approach is still going on down on Kirby.

Love both Strange/Salyer and hope a trade down can happen so both of these guys can be added. (I would be very happy with a trade down to say 6 and draft Davis/Williams to go along with Salyer Strange. If this was to happen a great foundation would be set for the next decade for this franchise.) They would go along way to solving the OL issues. I know how you feel about Tunsil but regardless he's still a top 5-6 player at his position and those dont grow on trees. I'm looking at keeping Tunsil this yr and trading him next offseason. Then looking for the next franchise LT if they need the cap space. I will tell you this, Tunsil is much more highly regarded around the league than he is on this MB. I dont get the BOB/Easterby screwups being related to the player that was acquired. Tunsil is a very good player who has improved since he was acquired, he's still young enough hat he can keep improving with a better OL coach. Blaming Tunsil for the BOB/Easterby screwup is like blaming a gun for shooting somebody.

Since I'm terrible at evaluating CB's I just picked the 2 most athletic CB's at the combine and hope that 1 of them can live up to their athletic ability. If they do then you have the equivalent of another 1st rd draft pick ability wise.

Good plan. Would be easier if the Texans made better cap decisions last year

They've got the ability to make enough room to sign these low cost guys by cutting a few of the 1-2 yr deal guys they signed last yr. hey are essentially trading out last yrs low cost guys for this yrs low cost guys.

They've got the ability to make enough room to sign these low cost guys by cutting a few of the 1-2 yr deal guys they signed last yr. hey are essentially trading out last yrs low cost guys for this yrs low cost guys.
I'm going to F up your mock because I've now moved to the Eagles being the leader in a trade for DW4. Forget the NTC, it's if you want to play, it's the Eagles. Take it or leave it. That said, the Eagles will trade their 15th and 16th 1st RD picks in the 2022 draft and their 1st RD pick in 2023. What do got?

I'm going to F up your mock because I've now moved to the Eagles being the leader in a trade for DW4. Forget the NTC, it's if you want to play, it's the Eagles. Take it or leave it. That said, the Eagles will trade their 15th and 16th 1st RD picks in the 2022 draft and their 1st RD pick in 2023. What do got?
I’d take that in a heartbeat. Gets him out of our conference too….but then there is that little massage issue

I'm adding skill position guys in FA.

Guys that have started and are young. Mack/Wilkins and adding another RB as a udfa to go along with Burkhead.

TE's Drafted Calcatera who's very talented and added Ebron/Dwelley who's a very good blocker to go along with Jordan and the other blocking TE that's already on the roster. I do like Deese.

WR's I'm adding Washington who is young and talented in FA and then scouring the WW for a slot wr.

Bottom line is Caserio isn't going to be able to fix everything in one year. This is the year to fix the trenches and the strength of the draft appears to be DL and Secondary. You should just draft the best players when you have as many holes as the Calhoun's have on their roster.

I do like your mock I just believe in building through the trenches..

Now way Gardner lasts until the 3rd Rd. He's probably going top 10 and same with Zion Johnson, he's probably going in the back half of the 1st..

Watson may go in the 1st and you've got him in the 6th?
We all know he won’t be able to address all needs. But in the draft we need to get a bell crow/workhorse, hopefully elite level running back. A true every down back.
The receiver core is deep, that was a little wishful thinking on my behalf. I think he will be drafted in the 4th round. Maybe we can get him then.

Now on Gardner and Johnson, again those positions are deep. Therefore, they could drop to the third round.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm hoping that a Walker/Wyatt duo at 1-3/2-37. Doubt this happens though.

Teams like the Chiefs/Pats being able to draft guys like Williams, while teams like the Chargers/Calhoun's not being able to draft these kinds of guys will keep the Chiefs/Pats one step ahead of the guys down on Kirby. We will see if Caserio is allowed to pick the best players or if the Not Texans Worth boardroom approach is still going on down on Kirby.

Love both Strange/Salyer and hope a trade down can happen so both of these guys can be added. (I would be very happy with a trade down to say 6 and draft Davis/Williams to go along with Salyer Strange. If this was to happen a great foundation would be set for the next decade for this franchise.) They would go along way to solving the OL issues. I know how you feel about Tunsil but regardless he's still a top 5-6 player at his position and those dont grow on trees. I'm looking at keeping Tunsil this yr and trading him next offseason. Then looking for the next franchise LT if they need the cap space. I will tell you this, Tunsil is much more highly regarded around the league than he is on this MB. I dont get the BOB/Easterby screwups being related to the player that was acquired. Tunsil is a very good player who has improved since he was acquired, he's still young enough hat he can keep improving with a better OL coach. Blaming Tunsil for the BOB/Easterby screwup is like blaming a gun for shooting somebody.

Since I'm terrible at evaluating CB's I just picked the 2 most athletic CB's at the combine and hope that 1 of them can live up to their athletic ability. If they do then you have the equivalent of another 1st rd draft pick ability wise.

Tunsil just wants to be paid. He will angle for even more, sorry but he’s just not worth it. Willing to sit out unless he gets his way, no thankstexanpride

If this were to go down, I would also trade Tunsil to Cincy for 1-31.

1-3. Walker
1-15 Penning, but I would try to trade up if Cross fell to 15.
1-16 McDuffie or Wyatt, Maybe WR Wilson. If Davis fell to the 10-12 range I would look at trading up, otherwise I would hope to trade down a bit.
If this trade was to happen I would definitely be looking at Watson at 2-37.

Tunsil just wants to be paid. He will angle for even more, sorry but he’s just not worth it. Willing to sit out unless he gets his way, no thankstexanpride

We will see about that,

I dont think he will be willing to lose millions and hurt his reputation.

We all know he won’t be able to address all needs. But in the draft we need to get a bell crow/workhorse, hopefully elite level running back. A true every down back.
The receiver core is deep, that was a little wishful thinking on my behalf. I think he will be drafted in the 4th round. Maybe we can get him then.

Now on Gardner and Johnson, again those positions are deep. Therefore, they could drop to the third round.

I dont believe there's an elite 3down RB in this draft. If you want to take a shot on one of those, then Rashad White, Spiller, Ford etc.. will be tere in the 3rd.

Give me Zamir White/Robinson/Williams later in rd 4-5.

He's not going to go to a bad top down organization and that includes Philly and Washington. They still got Rosen there correct?

I dont believe there's an elite 3down RB in this draft. If you want to take a shot on one of those, then Rashad White, Spiller, Ford etc.. will be tere in the 3rd.

You think Cook will be there in the 3rd?

Alright, Seattle just traded Wilson for a haul. Now they're in the QB market and could be willing to trade their Wilson haul to Texans for Watson. You now got #9, #40 and #151, plus a 1st and 2nd in 2023. Now what do got?

Me, I like the idea of a Breece Hall, Rachaad White, and Rex Burkhead backfield. All 3 can run and catch making all 3 viable 3rd down and Red Zone options.

Alright, Seattle just traded Wilson for a haul. Now they're in the QB market and could be willing to trade their Wilson haul to Texans for Watson. You now got #9, #40 and #151, plus a 1st and 2nd in 2023. Now what do got?
Seattle roster isnt that good

That's why they need DeShaun
Now that I think about in in some respect, I can see it, but I cant. Their oline and dline are average, suspect run game, but they do have 2 top notch wr's. Maybe this was a move to get Watson. They don't have their own 1st, just got Broncos. Its worth a shot because if not, he's going to get fired in 2 years.

Me, I like the idea of a Breece Hall, Rachaad White, and Rex Burkhead backfield. All 3 can run and catch making all 3 viable 3rd down and Red Zone options.

What draft capital are you willing to give up for these guys? I'm not giving up a 2nd for Hall with all of the talent that should be on the board at 37. Probably not at 68 either.

Get your RB early. Huge need and Breece is best of the best. 5’11” 217 31 1/4” arm length 9 3/4” hands. Ran 4.37 are you kidding me? 40” vertical wtf. As opposed to a power back like Najee Harris 6’ 1 232 33” arms 10 1/4” hands elite but not explosive, did not run any drills, forty, vertical, anything Combine and Pro-day but didn’t affect his draft stock going 1st rd. 24th overall in 2021 draft. Lance gave him overall grade of 6.46 (NFL.Com) he gave Breece Hall 6.36. He is definitely worth the Texans 2nd round pick. Lovie and Warhop want to pound the rock!

Get your RB early. Huge need and Breece is best of the best. 5’11” 217 31 1/4” arm length 9 3/4” hands. Ran 4.37 are you kidding me? 40” vertical wtf. As opposed to a power back like Najee Harris 6’ 1 232 33” arms 10 1/4” hands elite but not explosive, did not run any drills, forty, vertical, anything Combine and Pro-day but didn’t affect his draft stock going 1st rd. 24th overall in 2021 draft. Lance gave him overall grade of 6.46 (NFL.Com) he gave Breece Hall 6.36. He is definitely worth the Texans 2nd round pick. Lovie and Warhop want to pound the rock!
Exactly, that is a must and he’s the one I predicted in my mock draft.

Back