Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Post Combine/FA Mock

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What I would do, not what I think they will do.

2. Ladd McConkey, WR - Georgia- Separator
2. Payton Wilson, LB - N.C. St.- Most athletic LB in draft
3. McKinley Jackson, DT - TX. A&M - Run stopping force in the middle of the defense
4. Malik Mustafa, S - Wake Forest- Short, but athletic playmaker, fits well with swarm
4. Elijah Jones, CB - Boston College- Long athletic outside CB, can play some slot, smooth
6. Brandon Coleman, OT/OG- TCU- Very athletic and strong, has tools if developed to become a starter. Good in both pass pro/run blocking. Best football ahead of him once he learns how to use his athletic gifts. Good fit in ZBS, Impressed me at Sr. Bowl.
7. Baylor Cupp, TE- Texas Tech- Big guy with good speed/hands, is a good blocker too. Somewhat injury prone.
7. Carson Steele, RB- UCLA- Big tough athletic RB with surprising burst. He's got good hands and the 1st guy usually cant get him om the ground.

Thoughts?

3. McKinley Jackson, DT - TX. A&M - Run stopping force in the middle of the defense
4. Malik Mustafa, S - Wake Forest- Short, but athletic playmaker, fits well with swarm
4. Elijah Jones, CB - Boston College- Long athletic outside CB, can play some slot, smooth
6. Brandon Coleman, OT/OG- TCU- Very athletic and strong, has tools if developed to become a starter. Good in both pass pro/run blocking. Best football ahead of him once he learns how to use his athletic gifts. Good fit in ZBS, Impressed me at Sr. Bowl.
7. Baylor Cupp, TE- Texas Tech- Big guy with good speed/hands, is a good blocker too. Somewhat injury prone.
7. Carson Steele, RB- UCLA- Big tough athletic RB with surprising burst. He's got good hands and the 1st guy usually cant get him om the ground.

Thoughts?

So many options and directions to go where to start? I do think WR is target, so if it’s McConkey Nick may wanna trade up? I’m also concerned about his durability and slight build.
Switch it up to Xavier Legette, 6-3 227 Deebo comparison is real, physical bruiser, speed & YAC to complement Tank & Nico.

Nobody knows where or who will select first LB. I wouldn’t be mad with either Payton or Cooper. Could also see them trade back add value and be sure to get their/your run stopping DT McKinley Jackson. I’m sure Aggie fans would love both of them 👍

Haven’t addressed RB? With a couple thirds now (possible trade down from #59) what about complimentary pass catching weapon to Mixon? Lost Singletary to FA, maybe more dynamic out of the backfield, use more screens & sweeps to keep pass rush gassed, Bucky Irving can pluck & go seamlessly. Smooth in tight places, fluid footwork with loose hips he could kill it underneath, opening up routes for receivers.

So many options and directions to go where to start? I do think WR is target, so if it’s McConkey Nick may wanna trade up? I’m also concerned about his durability and slight build.
Switch it up to Xavier Legette, 6-3 227 Deebo comparison is real, physical bruiser, speed & YAC to complement Tank & Nico.

Nobody knows where or who will select first LB. I wouldn’t be mad with either Payton or Cooper. Could also see them trade back add value and be sure to get their/your run stopping DT McKinley Jackson. I’m sure Aggie fans would love both of them 👍

Haven’t addressed RB? With a couple thirds now (possible trade down from #59) what about complimentary pass catching weapon to Mixon? Lost Singletary to FA, maybe more dynamic out of the backfield, use more screens & sweeps to keep pass rush gassed, Bucky Irving can pluck & go seamlessly. Smooth in tight places, fluid footwork with loose hips he could kill it underneath, opening up routes for receivers.
If in your trade back scenario TE Reiman would be my pick in the 3rd/4th rd range. I would look to pick a young RB off of another teams PS too. Hasty who played for the 49ers when Ryans was there is who I would look at bringing in. You dont like Steele? He's a bruiser, go checkout his highlights. Particularly from his Nevada days.

Pretty confident Casero isn’t done in free agency, roster cuts etc getting the right plug and play DT. Also hearing rumors Broncos maybe interested in Mills? Traded down twice to hit targeted players & picked up another 2nd next year, giving Texans 3 2nd rounders to make that final Super Bowl push :trophy:

NFL-team-logo

Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
Payton Wilson LB NC State
trade-icon

Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Javon Bullard S Georgia
trade-icon

Cade Stover TE Ohio State
Tanor Bortolini OC Wisconsin
Austin Reed QB Western Kentucky
+ 2025 CLE 2nd (Cleveland must really love us :brando:)

Thoughts?

Like the players for the slots picked. Solid mock overall. Draft day may lean toward different positions depending how board falls, but could see this play out as BPA. I could see a path for all of these picks to make the active roster, which is the ultimate goal in a draft.

Really the goal is to get players who will stick around through their rookie contracts and have a few that develop into core players that will be re-signed to second contracts. The OB era saw too many disastrous drafts that depleted the depth of this team. 2020 draft had only two players on this team for the final year of their rookie contract last season (Greenard and Heck). And now Heck is the only player to get a second contract, which is more of a camp invite than a guarantee to stick around.

2019 NFL draft only Tytus Howard got a second contract and everyone else was out before their rookie contracts ended. Although Lonnie Johnson made it back with a similar no guarantee invitation to compete for a roster spot this offseason that Heck got.

You have to have a better hit rate than that!

I see this year’s draft as shoring up the depth. Caserio has rebuilt the roster through 3 drafts and his knack for finding value in FA or trades.

They have their core players for this season, they may make another splash through a trade for a vet like they attempted to do with Keenan Allen. But at this point they are not depending on the draft to fill any glaring needs. It’s taken three seasons but they are finally in a position where they don’t have to depend on a rookie to play a starring role in the team’s offensive or defensive gameplan.

Whoever they draft will compete for a role as quality depth. If they end up starting because they outright win a camp competition that’s just gravy on top.

Like the players for the slots picked. Solid mock overall. Draft day may lean toward different positions depending how board falls, but could see this play out as BPA. I could see a path for all of these picks to make the active roster, which is the ultimate goal in a draft.

Really the goal is to get players who will stick around through their rookie contracts and have a few that develop into core players that will be re-signed to second contracts. The OB era saw too many disastrous drafts that depleted the depth of this team. 2020 draft had only two players on this team for the final year of their rookie contract last season (Greenard and Heck). And now Heck is the only player to get a second contract, which is more of a camp invite than a guarantee to stick around.

2019 NFL draft only Tytus Howard got a second contract and everyone else was out before their rookie contracts ended. Although Lonnie Johnson made it back with a similar no guarantee invitation to compete for a roster spot this offseason that Heck got.

You have to have a better hit rate than that!

I see this year’s draft as shoring up the depth. Caserio has rebuilt the roster through 3 drafts and his knack for finding value in FA or trades.

They have their core players for this season, they may make another splash through a trade for a vet like they attempted to do with Keenan Allen. But at this point they are not depending on the draft to fill any glaring needs. It’s taken three seasons but they are finally in a position where they don’t have to depend on a rookie to play a starring role in the team’s offensive or defensive gameplan.

Whoever they draft will compete for a role as quality depth. If they end up starting because they outright win a camp competition that’s just gravy on top.

I’m out on this offensive line, it’s Area 51. Top secret, we just got a hope and pray they know what they’re doing? I’m still taking at least one offensive linemen every draft regardless.

I’m out on this offensive line, it’s Area 51. Top secret, we just got a hope and pray they know what they’re doing? I’m still taking at least one offensive linemen every draft regardless.

I like that they are starting to bring in day 2 prospects for 30 visits on the OL. Tells me they know what Doc knows about Howard and aren’t going to blindly hope that he’ll be healthy and play up to his contract.

Considering you have five of them and at all times need depth, this is probably a good overall policy/philosophy...If nothing else see Texans 2023 injuries.

I like that they are starting to bring in day 2 prospects for 30 visits on the OL. Tells me they know what Doc knows about Howard and aren’t going to blindly hope that he’ll be healthy and play up to his contract.
This what has been publicly said about Howard from the injury thread
And offensive lineman Tytus Howard, who’s expected to return to his natural right tackle position, is on track to return by training camp, per Ryans. Howard underwent surgery on his left knee after the injury worsened to the point where he developed a small hole between the knee and the patellar tendon, per league sources.

“Tytus is recovering,” Ryans said. “He’s doing well. We should get him back for training camp.”

Have written this countless times and feel like a broken record. Let me just say this, if Nick can navigate this situation with a viable workable solution, everyone could relax and enjoy a wonderful ride :logo:

Good mock Steel. I could get behind this if it came to pass. I'd probably switch the corner and LB (the position, not the players). Corner is a huge need imho. I don't trust the highly drafted guys being dumped like day-old bread by other teams. Sure...it's quite possible they "hit" on one or even both in a perfect world, but you cannot rely on it. We need a corner no later than day 2 unless they are going to sign Nelson or another solid #2 vet.

Just a funny aside - I woke up in the middle of the night realizing that I was dreaming that I was watching the draft. The Texans drafted McConkey at #42. Then they turned around at 59 and drafted another WR. This board was going crazy. I remember writing on here (in my dream) that Ryans and Nick are serious about providing weapons for CJ, but most people were beside themselves. When I woke up, I couldn't remember who the WR pick at #59 was. I distinctly remembered McConkey but I tried and tried and it wasn't coming back to me.

This is my latest PFN Mock.

Braden Fiske DT Florida State
Javon Bullard S Georgia
Khyree Jackson CB Oregon
Ray Davis RB Kentucky
Dallin Holker TE Colorado State
Logan Lee DT Iowa
Frank Crum OT Wyoming
Jontrey Hunter LB Georgia State
Isaac Rex TE BYU

"Tytus is recovering,” Ryans said. “He’s doing well. We should get him back for training camp.”
Hence the interest in tackles ...
I believe that the Texans need a back-up tackle whether or Howard is healthy. Methinks that the Texans really thought that Howard was not going to be ready that they would been more aggressive that something called Sharpe

That’s a sweet one X. Like how one idea leads to another and another but I salivate at prospect of elite tandem in the backfield for CJ, don’t you? Thinking in concepts 😎

Last edited:
This is my latest PFN Mock.

Braden Fiske DT Florida State
Javon Bullard S Georgia
Khyree Jackson CB Oregon
Ray Davis RB Kentucky
Dallin Holker TE Colorado State
Logan Lee DT Iowa
Frank Crum OT Wyoming
Jontrey Hunter LB Georgia State
Isaac Rex TE BYU
Love the Logan Lee pick and could definitely see this happening.

Good mock Steel. I could get behind this if it came to pass. I'd probably switch the corner and LB (the position, not the players). Corner is a huge need imho. I don't trust the highly drafted guys being dumped like day-old bread by other teams. Sure...it's quite possible they "hit" on one or even both in a perfect world, but you cannot rely on it. We need a corner no later than day 2 unless they are going to sign Nelson or another solid #2 vet.

Just a funny aside - I woke up in the middle of the night realizing that I was dreaming that I was watching the draft. The Texans drafted McConkey at #42. Then they turned around at 59 and drafted another WR. This board was going crazy. I remember writing on here (in my dream) that Ryans and Nick are serious about providing weapons for CJ, but most people were beside themselves. When I woke up, I couldn't remember who the WR pick at #59 was. I distinctly remembered McConkey but I tried and tried and it wasn't coming back to me.
I was looking for BPA at positions Ryans specifically said he wanted to be upgraded. Jones is very underrated.

We share the same philosophy.
Have written this countless times and feel like a broken record. Let me just say this, if Nick can navigate this situation with a viable workable solution, everyone could relax and enjoy a wonderful ride :logo:

Reasonably good health on the OL will help accomplish this.

Thoughts?

Looks good to me.

I like a lot of players in this draft so it'll be hard for me to come out of the draft dissappointed.

Looks good to me.

I like a lot of players in this draft so it'll be hard for me to come out of the draft dissappointed.
We're in the same place.

I'm glad they traded down. If a player falls to the late 1st that they really like then they can trade future picks to move up.

I’d still take a flyer on OT-Walter Rouse (Oklahoma) at pick 188 if he’s still on the board. He’s not as polished as Guyton, but he did hold down the LT spot for Stanford and Oklahoma during his entire CFB career.

I’d still take a flyer on OT-Walter Rouse (Oklahoma) at pick 188 if he’s still on the board. He’s not as polished as Guyton, but he did hold down the LT spot for Stanford and Oklahoma during his entire CFB career.
I would be very happy with Rouse.

However I think he will be gone.

Just a funny aside - I woke up in the middle of the night realizing that I was dreaming that I was watching the draft. The Texans drafted McConkey at #42. Then they turned around at 59 and drafted another WR. This board was going crazy.
You want crazy? I'm dreaming tonight that the Texans take a kicker at 2.42 and a punter at 2.59.

Then I'll say, "What? You guys don't trust Nick and DeMeco anymore?"

Back