Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Bye Week Mock

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm basing this on the Texans having the 2nd worst record in the NFL and no trades in rd 1.

Rd.1 Aidan Hutchinson DE Michigan- Cornerstone who has the ability to be the best player in this draft. Great motor/work ethic, They type of great player that will be a culter/tone setter. I would pick Thibodeau if he's there, but Hutchinson is the same class of player and better against the run.

Rd.2 Deon Kendrick CB Georgia- Solid CB, Flips hips and can mirror WR's. Fast/Former WR so he gets ints. Solid tackler but more of a bring down guy rather than a punishing CB setting the Edge against the run.

Rd.3 Ricky Stromberg C/OG Arkansas- Strong, moes people in the run game. really good in pass pro too. Put him next to Tunsil and the left side of the OL will be fixed. Tough guy/Leader. Wrestling Background

Rd.3 Zach Charbonnet RB UCLA- One cut runner with great vision and enough speed for a big RB to take it to the house. Can catch the ball out of the backfield and appears to be proficient at pass pro. Runs hard. Reminds me a little bit of Foster when he was coming out of college. His best football is ahead of him. IMHO Only reason he falls this far is he's a 1 yr wonder kind of guy.

Rd.4 Storm Duck CB North Carolina- Big CB with good movement skills. Good in both coverage and setting edge against the run. Will win those 50-50 throws. Only reason he falls this far is he was nicked up a little this season. But I watched him against Wake Forest this weekend and he shutdown Wake's best WR. Who is a big fast guy who has been tearing it up this yr. Strictly an outside CB.

Rd. 5 (Trade 6-2 and 7-2) Luke Matthews C-G Texas A&M - Cant go wrong taking one of the Matthews clan, of course he's technically sound and will be a long time starter at the C position. Great alue at this point in the draft.

Rd.6 Cade Mays OT/OG Tennessee- Big tough guy, was highly recruited and played as a freshman at Georgia. Transferred to Tennessee where he's been playing RT. I think he will be a starting level OG in the NFL. Tough people mover. good movement skills for the RG position. Has upside left. Will be lucky to still be there in the 6th. I would also trade up to get this guy.

Rd.6 B.J. Foster S Texas- Bring B.J. Home, solid in coverage and a smart player.

Opinions?

Last edited:
I'm basing this on the Texans having the 2nd worst record in the NFL and no trades in rd 1.

Rd.1 Aidan Hutchinson DE Michigan- Cornerstone who has the ability to be the best player in this draft. Great motor/work ethic, They type of great player that will be a culter/tone setter. I would pick Thibodeau if he's there, but Hutchinson is the same class of player and better against the run.

Rd.2 Deon Kendrick CB Georgia- Solid CB, Flips hips and can mirror WR's. Fast/Former WR so he gets ints. Solid tackler but more of a bring down guy rather than a punishing CB setting the Edge against the run.

Rd.3 Ricky Stromberg C/OG Arkansas- Strong, moes people in the run game. really good in pass pro too. Put him next to Tunsil and the left side of the OL will be fixed. Tough guy/Leader. Wrestling Background

Rd.4 Storm Duck CB North Carolina- Big CB with good movement skills. Good in both coverage and setting edge against the run. Will win those 50-50 throws. Only reason he falls this far is he was nicked up a little this season. But I watched him against Wake Forest this weekend and he shutdown Wake's best WR. Who is a big fast guy who has been tearing it up this yr. Strictly an outside CB.

Rd. 5 (Trade 6-2 and 7-2) Luke Matthews C-G Texas A&M - Cant go wrong taking one of the Matthews clan, of course he's technically sound and will be a long time starter at the C position. Great alue at this point in the draft.

Rd.6 Cade Mays OT/OG Tennessee- Big tough guy, was highly recruited and played as a freshman at Georgia. Transferred to Tennessee where he's been playing RT. I think he will be a starting level OG in the NFL. Tough people mover. good movement skills for the RG position. Has upside left. Will be lucky to still be there in the 6th. I would also trade up to get this guy.

Rd.6 B.J. Foster S Texas- Bring B.J. Home, solid in coverage and a smart player.

Opinions?

I could see the Texans getting some serious calls for their #2 pick once the Lions take Thibodeaux off the the market. It will be very interesting to see who teams may value at #2. I did one on Badboy's post and was mostly curious as to what the Texans might see in regards to trade offers at their spot. Three offers were presented and the one I liked the most involved the following:

Giants Get:
RD1-02
RD2-34

Texans Get:
RD1-07
RD1-10
RD2-39
RD6-202 (Should've been NYG RD7-229)

Those first three picks would (hypothetically) return:
DS- Kyle Hamilton / ND / I guess getting KH at 7 meets the NFL unspoken draft rules.
OG- Kenyon Green / A&M / Could easily be there at 9 if there's a run on CB's, OT- Neal, and DL.
CB- Mykael Wright / OR / Should be on the board when the 39th pick rolls around.

You aren't drafting a QB because ? (1) we have the '22 starter on our current roster, (2) Casserio signs our '22 QB in free agency ?

Looks to be a solid mock. CB Kendrick is a player but if he couldn't make it out of Dabo Swinney's "love shack" I don't think he'll make it to Pastor E's sanctuary of culture.

I could see the Texans getting some serious calls for their #2 pick once the Lions take Thibodeaux off the the market. It will be very interesting to see who teams may value at #2. I did one on Badboy's post and was mostly curious as to what the Texans might see in regards to trade offers at their spot. Three offers were presented and the one I liked the most involved the following:

Giants Get:
RD1-02
RD2-34

Texans Get:
RD1-07
RD1-10
RD2-39
RD6-202 (Should've been NYG RD7-229)

Those first three picks would (hypothetically) return:
DS- Kyle Hamilton / ND / I guess getting KH at 7 meets the NFL unspoken draft rules.
OG- Kenyon Green / A&M / Could easily be there at 9 if there's a run on CB's, OT- Neal, and DL.
CB- Mykael Wright / OR / Should be on the board when the 39th pick rolls around.

I like this and hope it happens. I'm not as high on Wright as you appear to be.

None I would spend draft capital on in this draft ..... its a weak class.

I would rebuild the team while waiting for Arch Manning. Make sure to have an a top 5 offensive line, a top 5 receiver, a decent TE, top 5 running back, and a top defense.

Pretty much how we were when OB took over from Kubiak. Just a QB away.

That would be my goal. You know he is going to the draft in 4-5 years (approximate) Be ready.

I would start trading draft picks for the following year high draft pick. Try to have 3 firsts that year. Trade a 4th in this years draft for a 3 or better in the following year. Or something like that or better. Start accumulating picks. That would also be a goal.

In the meantime I would be attending every Manning charity event, inviting them to every Texans event, sponsoring their stuff, and anything else to strengthen a relationship.

Cal has like six kids so I would give one away now to the Manning’s as an offering in good faith.

I would go all in.

Rd.3 Zach Charbonnet RB UCLA- One cut runner with great vision and enough speed for a big RB to take it to the house. Can catch the ball out of the backfield and appears to be proficient at pass pro. Runs hard. Reminds me a little bit of Foster when he was coming out of college. His best football is ahead of him. IMHO Only reason he falls this far is he's a 1 yr wonder kind of guy.

Opinions?
Love the Hutchinson pick! I’ve actually been playing around with picking him in some of the mock draft simulators.
I like Kendrick, but I was expecting him to be available later in the draft, but I could be wrong.
I don’t know much about Mathews, but I definitely agree that adding new additions to the OL is a must.

Love the Hutchinson pick! I’ve actually been playing around with picking him in some of the mock draft simulators.
I like Kendrick, but I was expecting him to be available later in the draft, but I could be wrong.
I don’t know much about Mathews, but I definitely agree that adding new additions to the OL is a must.

I think you can never go wrong adding a Matthews to your OL.

I seen a mock where the Giants moved up to the 2 spot and sent the Texans their 7 & 10 picks. They also swapped RD2 picks. I would do this if the Giants were moving up for say Neal or a CB which could sway how the first 6 picks go.

I just read another mock where the Dolphins and Texans pulled off the Watson trade and the Texans would be getting their RD1 pick…..I wouldn’t worry about the rest of the picks but it was good.

It would be one heck of a RD1 if the Texans could walk away with DE- Hutchinson (Michigan), S- Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame), and OG- Kenyon Green (Texas A&M).

Look, I’m a Hamilton fan b/c he’s a 6-4 @220lb enforcer who can play up for the run and has the size/speed to drop back and take the TE’s out and could deliver some hits that might make receivers think twice about coming over the middle. I just can’t remember when the Texans ever had one of these.

I seen a mock where the Giants moved up to the 2 spot and sent the Texans their 7 & 10 picks. They also swapped RD2 picks. I would do this if the Giants were moving up for say Neal or a CB which could sway how the first 6 picks go.

I just read another mock where the Dolphins and Texans pulled off the Watson trade and the Texans would be getting their RD1 pick…..I wouldn’t worry about the rest of the picks but it was good.

It would be one heck of a RD1 if the Texans could walk away with DE- Hutchinson (Michigan), S- Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame), and OG- Kenyon Green (Texas A&M).
There could indeed be some movement in this draft if CB Stingley is still on the board.
He has the potential to be the best in the league in two years.

We aren't drafting a QB because you need to fix the Oline.
No point bringing another rookie into the same poor situation.
Steel indicated he likes mills atleast as well as any qb in the 2022 draft so maybe we already have our franchise qb . Hope so !

Last edited:
I’m going to need some time to sift through all your hard work but can tell you I love Hutchinson the player, reminds me off Watt, maybe more TG? Something that cannot be measured, heart, mental aptitude (decisiveness) motor, sacrifice and willing, coachable player.

:wesmantexanfan:

Would you pick Hutchinson over Stingley? If the Texans trade for Philly's picks in a Derrick trade, there's a case for drafting Hutchinson, then trading back up for Stingley with Philly's picks. Say Philly is picking 7th/11/23/33. I would give up 7/23 for Stingley and then I'm trading down from 11. I'll take a low 1st and a 2023 1st.

Duck looked great last week against undefeated Wake. This week Pickett is carving him up. 2 holding penalties and gave up a TD in the 1st half type bad. He's had decent coverage but Pickett's been even better. Very impressed by Pickett tonight.

Last edited:
Stingley is a talented ball hawking corner in the LSU tradition, but does have a red flag due to injury. Caserio will probably go for cleanest player possible, so no dirty laundry. I love your Hutchinson selection.

Now if Texans have another teams picks (Dirty Derrick) I'm thinking that Carolina is more likely option, pending Cam part 2 experiment. The Texans could put a whole lot of butt kicking on other teams in this draft, to be continued.

Would you pick Hutchinson over Stingley? If the Texans trade for Philly's picks in a Derrick trade, there's a case for drafting Hutchinson, then trading back up for Stingley with Philly's picks. Say Philly is picking 7th/11/23/33. I would give up 7/23 for Stingley and then I'm trading down from 11. I'll take a low 1st and a 2023 1st.

Duck looked great last week against undefeated Wake. This week Pickett is carving him up. 2 holding penalties and gave up a TD in the 1st half type bad. He's had decent coverage but Pickett's been even better. Very impressed by Pickett tonight.
I would pick Hutchinson over Stingley. I’m not sold on Stingley. Besides his freshman year he hasn’t really lived up to the hype. He has the measurables, but something just makes me hesitate with him.

Opinions?
This is still to early in the process for me but if forced to make a 1st RD pick today, it would be Jordan Davis, NT, Georgia. Kind of reminds me of Vince Wilfork and how Patriots built their whole defense around him.
1636777908652.png

This is still to early in the process for me but if forced to make a 1st RD pick today, it would be Jordan Davis, NT, Georgia. Kind of reminds me of Vince Wilfork and how Patriots built their whole defense around him.
The days of taking 2 gap NTs high in the draft are long gone. I can make a better case for taking a RB high in the draft. Davis is good at what he does. But, he's just a 2 down player.

The days of taking 2 gap NTs high in the draft are long gone. I can make a better case for taking a RB high in the draft. Davis is good at what he does. But, he's just a 2 down player.
And of course it's a hard case to justify using a top 5 pick on a back even though a disparate group of teams including the Jags, Cowboys, & Giants have done so in recent years ?

I could see a team like say the Chargers picking later in the 1st rd picking Davis. They've had trouble stopping the run this yr and Davis solves that problem for the next decade or so. Well worth say pick #25. This is 1 example of how the good teams seem to always stay good despite picking low in the draft.

Make no mistake Davis is going to be a really good player for a long time, even though he's not a pass rusher, he frees up the LB's to make plays.

I could see a team like say the Chargers picking later in the 1st rd picking Davis. They've had trouble stopping the run this yr and Davis solves that problem for the next decade or so. Well worth say pick #25. This is 1 example of how the good teams seem to always stay good despite picking low in the draft.

Make no mistake Davis is going to be a really good player for a long time, even though he's not a pass rusher, he frees up the LB's to make plays.

Late 1st no problem. Texian was talking about using the Texans 1st pick on Davis.

Back