Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Sports Radio 610] Only 2 coaches retained from old staff

Sports Radio 610 said only 2 coaches from the old staff will return. Wide Receivers coach Kippy Brown and Special Teams coordinator Joe Marciano. Good news that no others are coming back.

Bush said:
Sports Radio 610 said only 2 coaches from the old staff will return. Wide Receivers coach Kippy Brown and Special Teams coordinator Joe Marciano. Good news that no others are coming back.

woohoo! I'm glad Marciano is staying. :yahoo: He's a class act, and his unit was one of the only bright spots last season (well, except for all of the missed FGs by Brown).

Good news! :texflag:

Too bad that John Hoke couldn't be retained. I think that Buchanon helped his way out though.

Bush said:
I'm surprised any of the coaches were retained as this seems to imply
that the new HC will not be free to pick his own WR and ST coach.

nunusguy said:
I'm surprised any of the coaches were retained as this seems to imply
that the new HC will not be free to pick his own WR and ST coach.

I think it implies Kubiak has already chosen his staff but didn't have a WR and ST coach in mind.

Bush said:

Hurray for Coach Joe. :texflag:

As I understand it, it is not unusual for new coaches to keep some of the better coaches from the previous staff. Keeping a bit of institutional memory helps.

I really wanted to keep Joe Marciano, so I'm thrilled. The Texans kick and punt coverage is really solid. And if I remember correctly, it was Marciano who had his eye on a certain Division I-AA wide receiver/return man. :superman:

I'm glad for Kippy Brown, too. Obviously the Texas thought highly enough of him to grant him a head coaching interview, and I'm happy they want to keep him.

Does this mean that we can stop blaming the receivers for Carr's less-than-adequate performance?

Kaiser Toro said:
WR coach is staying, very interesting.

I'll say - between the drops by multiple receivers and the "Armstrong doesn't play because he doesn't run good routes" stuff I'd question the coaching. I guess I'd be wrong, or at least the front office see it differently.

Runner said:
I'll say - between the drops by multiple receivers and the "Armstrong doesn't play because he doesn't run good routes" stuff I'd question the coaching. I guess I'd be wrong, or at least the front office see it differently.

you think the coach has anything to do with a WR butter fingers ???? Sure there are basic fundimentals all FB players know so if we have to show them how to catch the ball after every play than they dont need to be in the NFL !!!

Sad to see Hoke get let go, but he should find a college D-coordinator position pretty easily especially with his resume with Florida and what he did with the DBs for the Texans. Keeping Marciano and Kippy are pretty solid and I doubt Kippy remains as the WR coach.

TexansTrueFan said:
you think the coach has anything to do with a WR butter fingers ???? Sure there are basic fundimentals all FB players know so if we have to show them how to catch the ball after every play than they dont need to be in the NFL !!!

If you'll recall, Dre had the dropsies his first year; his second year he spent A LOT of training camp in front of the football canon or whatever you call it. The Chronicle at the time reported how he said he came home with "his hands red and sore" every night. He caught much better that seson. So there are things you can practice to catch better. I'm sure there are other drills they can run to improve their hands.

Also, the most sure-handed receiver on the team, Armstrong, didn't play much. I think that is a definite coach's decision (although not necessarily the receiver coach) that affected the number of drops this year. It certainly won't cure other receivers' butterfingers, but it certainly could have reduced our drops if he had been in there in front of Bradford.

Kaiser Toro said:
WR coach is staying, very interesting.

He was the only internal candidate to get an interview for the head job even though he reasistically had no chance. Obviously he is held in high esteem by the org.

What's interesting to me is that if this is true, Kubiak is picking his new staff while still employed by the Broncos in the midst of a SB run. They could have made this agreement during the interview but it still makes me wonder a bit ...

aj. said:
He was the only internal candidate to get an interview for the head job even though he reasistically had no chance. Obviously he is held in high esteem by the org.

What's interesting to me is that if this is true, Kubiak is picking his new staff while still employed by the Broncos in the midst of a SB run. They could have made this agreement during the interview but it still makes me wonder a bit ...

This is what I was thinking. Everything I hear on ESPN, see on this MB, is like it is a forgone conclusion that our next HC is Kubiak. Which I think is great, but like you said it must have been agreed upon during the interview, Kubiak would have to be allowed input on the WHOLE staff it would seem to me.

Glad to see Coach Joe stayin', I think we have a solid ST unit.

aj. said:

And he was a former OC. What is interesting to me is a couple of things, one which you mentioned. Also the WRs were not part of the problem with our passing attack if he was asked to be back. Y'all may remember many people were complaining about route running. Secondly, it could help resigning Gaffney. Thirdly, where does Kippy coach? Possibly RB coach to help out with Bush? Possibly QB to help out DC/VY? What I think it signals is a heavy focus on offense in the short term with Kippy, the next OC and Kubiak.

Hardcore Texan said:
This is what I was thinking. Everything I hear on ESPN, see on this MB, is like it is a forgone conclusion that our next HC is Kubiak. Which I think is great, but like you said it must have been agreed upon during the interview, Kubiak would have to be allowed input on the WHOLE staff it would seem to me.

I imagine that Kubiak is putting his staff together on his off time. I'm sure the Texans have already asked him who he would like to retain.

The Texans have not had a second round of interviews, and the applicant pool is shrinking by the day. I'm pretty sure the deal is done with Kubiak.

Tulip said:
I imagine that Kubiak is putting his staff together on his off time. I'm sure the Texans have already asked him who he would like to retain.

The Texans have not had a second round of interviews, and the applicant pool is shrinking by the day. I'm pretty sure the deal is done with Kubiak.

I bet you are right, and I hope so too.
Very true about the pool of applicants shrinking daily. That was beginning to worry me if the Broncos keep winning.

Gary Walker on Mike London, who is going to back to college-level football:

"In my 11 year career, he's been the best coach I've ever had," Walker said of London. "Just the way he would prepare us and get us ready for different deals. It was stuff I was never taught before. When you're here 11 years and you go out there and you feel like you're getting better, it's like, 'Where were you 11 years ago?'"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3598392.html

I'm unimpressed with our receivers and the routes they ran. I believe Brown should have been out the door. Sorry, but if he remains the receiver coach you are already in the hole before you start. Marciano is the only coach I believe should have been retained if any.

Tulip said:
Does this mean that we can stop blaming the receivers for Carr's less-than-adequate performance?

No. Not at all. I think Andre Johnson is overrated. With his type of speed, he should be breaking away from his coverage more, but he can't. He has as much to prove as Carr does, IMO.

Marcus said:
No. Not at all. I think Andre Johnson is overrated. With his type of speed, he should be breaking away from his coverage more, but he can't. He has as much to prove as Carr does, IMO.
Andre Johnson is overrated IN FANTASY FOOTBALL, because David Carr is his QB in a mickey mouse scheme.
Ibar_Harry said:
I'm unimpressed with our receivers and the routes they ran.
Funny how you rarely watch a game from Fresno and when you do you can't see the receivers running their routes (I have all the games taped and I can't see the wr's running their routes). Comments like this makes you less than credible over the years.

I missed that tidbit on 610 and didn't hear any more about it this morning, I'm surprised Hoke isn't staying and I'm a little surprised Kippy is. I thought that one of the coaches Shanahan was supposed to be letting Kubiak bring over was their WRs coach, so that is interesting that Kippy will stay. Marciano staying is a good thing though, I liked him this year.

MorKnolle said:
I missed that tidbit on 610 and didn't hear any more about it this morning, I'm surprised Hoke isn't staying and I'm a little surprised Kippy is. I thought that one of the coaches Shanahan was supposed to be letting Kubiak bring over was their WRs coach, so that is interesting that Kippy will stay. Marciano staying is a good thing though, I liked him this year.

The guys on 610 am this morning acted like none of it is set still. They discussed whether Marciano wanted to stay--one said he recently indicated he did. They also acted like it was not set that Brown would be staying.

infantrycak said:
The guys on 610 am this morning acted like none of it is set still. They discussed whether Marciano wanted to stay--one said he recently indicated he did. They also acted like it was not set that Brown would be staying.

OK, I only caught the segment today with Casserly so I missed any further mention of it, but I hadn't heard anything concrete about it from anywhere else so I didn't know if that was just another rumor going around or if that had been set yet.

Yes, Texans Chick, your opinion about retaining institutional memory was a good comment. I 100% concur.

Marciano deserved to be retained at all costs. I am very happy that a guy gets rewarded for his success. It shows the fans that the Texans organization is about more than just razing the land and completely starting over. It shows that hard work and good coaching will pay off in the long run.

Best news I've heard in a few weeks.

Back