Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Sport's Defining Moment

Imagine yourself accomplishing one of these feats in sports. Which one would you want to do?

• Total voters

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Or winning the rubber match in spectacular fashion against a heated rival to capture/retain a title in MMA..

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Went with the walk-off homer - baseball isn't always my favorite sport, but a cold chill in the air, the pitcher and batter staring each other down, the pitch, the crack the immediate "is it going, is it staying" reaction - to me nothing beats that.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Soccer fan?

Really?
Sports fan at large, but soccer is pretty much my first sport love..

Also the magnitude of the world cup final, if one has any inclination whatsoever toward the sport, is really as grand as it gets.. and winning on that kind of stage, in that kind of moment, for a game as adored as I do that one, and for one's country is probably just 'it' as far as athletic fantasy..

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Also the magnitude of the world cup final, if one has any inclination whatsoever toward the sport, is really as grand as it gets.. and winning on that kind of stage, in that kind of moment, for a game as adored as I do that one, and for one's country is probably just 'it' as far as athletic fantasy..
I'm not a soccer fan at all. It's too boring for me. But I have a friend that used to play competitively and he got me turned on to the last world cup. I really enjoyed seeing how into it fans were at noon in a bar. Lots of energy in the room and I can certainly respect that. I had a great time.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I'm not a soccer fan at all. It's too boring for me. But I have a friend that used to play competitively and he got me turned on to the last world cup. I really enjoyed seeing how into it fans were at noon in a bar. Lots of energy in the room and I can certainly respect that. I had a great time.
The boring part is reasonable for anyone who hasn't played. The intricacies and nuance are everything in this game.

That can be said for most any sport though. People tell me all the time how amazing hockey is, and yet try as I might it just doesn't stick. And I get what I'm seeing and can appreciate by and large what it takes to compete in that game, having not actually played and 'felt' it firsthand though I just can't quite sort of put myself there when watching.

Glad you enjoyed watching though..

austins23

Hall of Fame

I'm with @steelbtexan on this one. I'm like "soccer, really?" Then my son got me into the World Cup. I think it was the last one they played here in the US?? I could be wrong, but I actually got in to it. Any sport that gives me an excuse to have a beer before noon is cool. Beside that, it was actually exciting to watch the finals. Soccer will be a World Cup event for me, but that's all right by me.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
My choice was Olympic gold in decathlon, pentathlon, or triathlon. And a silver and a bronze in the other two.

I considered the gold medal but that Super Bowl TD winning pass means I got paid big too. So Bluehen Texan brings the first Super Bowl championship to Houston. You’re welcome.

Speedy

Yeller Dweller
Give me the walk-off World Series clinching HR. Joe Carter's blast in '93 is still highly revered 27 years later. Granted, it was game 6, but still won the series.

And of course, there's Bill Mazeroski's blast in game 7 in 1960 that is just as revered, if not more so, 60 years later.

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame
This was a very hard question. I went with the three point at the buzzer. But the walk off homer and throwing the winning TD were very close seconds.

badboy

Hall of Fame
For the poll, I choose a twist on the SB pass for TD. As a defense guy my moment would be as a safety who breaks up the favored GOAT's pass with interception that I return for a touchdown and upset win.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
This one is tough. I imagine, it comes down to your favorite sport?

Golf is my favorite sport to play, and the Masters is my favorite tournament. But, I don't like the idea of not having a team to celebrate with afterwards.

I'm gonna go with hitting the homerun in baseball. Taking that celebratory trot around the bases and your teammates waiting for you at home plate... gotta be one of the best feelings in the world.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
My favorite sport is bikini watching. Best moment would be my dream girl walks up sits at end of my pool lounger and says "can I cook chicken fried steak and fries for you? I make my own cream gravy and I brought yeast rolls and tea."
With those odds, you might as well say you're going to hit the walk-off homer while playing basketball in the world cup. :D

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
More than winning the game with a 4-base hit, my dream is this: I lead off the inning taking 2 quick strikes. The 3rd pitch I take outside. The next pitch sails in wildly 10 feet over everybody's head so I swing at it and run to 1st base. I steal 2nd and then I steal 3rd. By now I'm thinking about being the only major leaguer to steal all 4 bases on the same trip around the horn. The next batter walks, the manager calls for a double steal, and we pull it off, with me scoring after the other runner is tagged out. I've done it! A major league record that will probably never be tied!

chicagotexan2

Bill O'Brien is to GMs what Bill O'Brien is to HCs
I’d like to blow a 24 point lead and eventually lose by 31 points.

or walk off homer in the 9th against the Cards or Cubs.