Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

SPLASH! Houston Signs 3rd round Punter!!!!!

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
What a smart move! You can never have enough punters around, and shoot for ONLY 1 Million bucks!! Thats why these guys are considered Super Bowl contenders every year!!! GOAT coach, GOAT ownership , GOAT moves - just amazing to think this laterally and offer such a clear and concise vision. We are lucky as fans.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-sign-punter-Bryan-Anger-cut-Drew-Lewis-14117686.php

The Texans signed former Jacksonville Jaguars punter Bryan Anger to a one-year, $1 million contract.

Anger is a former third round draft pick from Cal. Anger has also played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has a career 46.2 average.

The Texans have Trevor Daniel back as their starting punter. They cut inside linebacker Drew Lewis, an undrafted rookie from Colorado.

Dejaview

All Pro
Good move. I know Seely has said there are certain areas TD needs to improve on this year. I wasn’t impressed with him last year. Another sign Texans are serious about their ST’s. Anger has averaged about 3 yards per punt more than Daniels, any complaints...oh yeah typical whiners have already posted their smart ass quips. What a life, lololol!

KarlK

Waterboy
not really we have 2 rbs who are above avg.
That's cute that, even if it were true that we have 2 rbs that are above average, you actually think that is anywhere near enough personnel to make it thru a 16 game NFL season + the playoffs.

gs27

Veteran
What a smart move! You can never have enough punters around, and shoot for ONLY 1 Million bucks!! Thats why these guys are considered Super Bowl contenders every year!!! GOAT coach, GOAT ownership , GOAT moves - just amazing to think this laterally and offer such a clear and concise vision. We are lucky as fans.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-sign-punter-Bryan-Anger-cut-Drew-Lewis-14117686.php
Do you realize that a football team needs a punter, competition is needed at every position, and the vet minimum salary for Anger is $930,000?

So we got a veteran punter as competition at very near the minimum salary, what are you complaining about?

KarlK

Waterboy
Yes 2 above average RBs is generally enough.
No, it isn't. Ever. There are 31 other NFL teams that really hope the Texans think this, but the front office isn't that dumb.

This isn't 1982, it's 2019. I'd suggest you pull your head out of the sand and look around.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Do you realize that a football team needs a punter, competition is needed at every position, and the vet minimum salary for Anger is $930,000?

So we got a veteran punter as competition at vary near the minimum salary, what are you complaining about?
Only on TTMB is a routine camp body signing a big deal

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

So we got a veteran punter as competition at vary near the minimum salary, what are you complaining about?
Plus the salary will never get paid to whichever punter doesn't make it.

KarlK

Waterboy

So we got a veteran punter as competition at very near the minimum salary, what are you complaining about?
Truth.

What's hilarious about this response is that infantrycak liked it, yet at the same time contributes laughable commentary elsewhere in the thread to the tune of "Yes 2 above average RBs is generally enough" that is completely against the point of the 100% true statement that is bolded above.

You just couldn't make this stuff up.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
No, it isn't. Ever. There are 31 other NFL teams that really hope the Texans think this, but the front office isn't that dumb.

This isn't 1982, it's 2019. I'd suggest you pull your head out of the sand and look around.
You're not very familiar with the concept of above average clearly. Hint, 32 teams don't all have 1 above average RB.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

How much would a street free agent have cost? Only logical reason would be that Anger is the future punter and Daniel is gone yeah? Or Im sure Daniel will feel really nice that the guy they brought in to "compete" is earning more than him - but yea great way to inspire competition. The Texan way!

BTW: Marquette King was a much better option if you really want to talk about talent at the position, but yeahhh he wasnt the right .. ummm. "type".

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
How much would a street free agent have cost? Only logical reason would be that Anger is the future punter and Daniel is gone yeah? Or Im sure Daniel will feel really nice that the guy they brought in to "compete" is earning more than him - but yea great way to inspire competition. The Texan way!

BTW: Marquette King was a much better option if you really want to talk about talent at the position, but yeahhh he wasnt the right .. ummm. "type".
Bryan Anger is a 7 year vet. League min is by year. All the players know this. He has a 46.2 career avg.

Marquette King is also a 7 year vet so same cost. He has a 46.7 career avg. although he only played 4 games last season before ummm IR with a thigh injury.

Reactions: JB

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

IIRC, they've had 2 punters in camp the last several years, even when it was clear that Lechler was the guy....well, until he wasn't.

Reactions: JB

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
TBH, I remember when he was drafted by the Jags in the 3rd and I laughed. Then I saw him punt in his first game against the Texans and thought he was awesome. Don’t know what happened to him since then?
He got a contract that made him one of the highest paid in the league and they decided a couple yards wasn't worth a couple mil extra.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Is the ability to run a fake punt a criterion? IIRC Lechler was an accurate passer and something of a threat in that sense.

watt99x99

Waterboy
even though he's not great rb but miller is a good rb1. we just got 2nd rb as pass catching to help DW4 during many situitions. we are good with rb. just need to take care of LT and CB. I would love to find better cover linebackers. they can blitz but can't cover well enough to make difference.

getting better cb who can cover well ty hilton or any fast wr would be very helpful.
also linebackers who can cover well enough to cover rb or wr3 would be very good.

hope some of the new guys will mesh well and we will make some more trade before trade deadline. we have to pay so many different guys soon Texans has been very cheap.

I believe they are going to ride with JJ Watt for rest of his career. hope he takes paycut and stay so we can build good defense around him in the future.

DW4 can carry texans to 11 game last season so I am very hoping we can get 12-14 wins this year. I feel we can do it. hope our o line has been fixed with new players and off season. I wouldn't mind seeing some zone play but wouldn't mind passing short passes to TE and RB.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
even though he's not great rb but miller is a good rb1. we just got 2nd rb as pass catching to help DW4 during many situitions. we are good with rb. just need to take care of LT and CB. I would love to find better cover linebackers. they can blitz but can't cover well enough to make difference.

getting better cb who can cover well ty hilton or any fast wr would be very helpful.
also linebackers who can cover well enough to cover rb or wr3 would be very good.

hope some of the new guys will mesh well and we will make some more trade before trade deadline. we have to pay so many different guys soon Texans has been very cheap.

I believe they are going to ride with JJ Watt for rest of his career. hope he takes paycut and stay so we can build good defense around him in the future.

DW4 can carry texans to 11 game last season so I am very hoping we can get 12-14 wins this year. I feel we can do it. hope our o line has been fixed with new players and off season. I wouldn't mind seeing some zone play but wouldn't mind passing short passes to TE and RB.
what does this have to do with a 3rd round punter?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Haven't heard any reports on the new punter but special teams last year were pretty good