Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Special Teams Thread

Mangler

Toro de España
2018 was a damn good year for the Texans’ Special Teams unit, and although they didn’t get much credit for the 11-6 finish, they gotta get some praise for finishing at #5 overall.

Gotta give both Brian Gaine and Brad Seely their props. Gaine for picking up some talent, and Seely for training them up to go from absolute garbage to top five.

Here’s hoping the new additions made through free agency and the 2019 draft bring in some more success. Lord knows both our defense and offense need all the hell they can get. (With O’Brien running the offense, and our secondary routinely blowing coverages and just not being able to make any stops when it matters.)

Max

Veteran
No idea what I was watching but it was Drew Dougherty on tv last night and they mentioned that following kickoffs 2 years ago, the Texans had the worst starting field position in the league and last year it improved to the best field position in the league to start drives and the 2nd best in the league for opponents starting position. I might have that mixed up and we had the 2nd best field position to start and best opponent starting position, but either way it shows how much our special teams have improved. Can't complain about that -- keep it up.

Mangler

Toro de España
No idea what I was watching but it was Drew Dougherty on tv last night and they mentioned that following kickoffs 2 years ago, the Texans had the worst starting field position in the league and last year it improved to the best field position in the league to start drives and the 2nd best in the league for opponents starting position. I might have that mixed up and we had the 2nd best field position to start and best opponent starting position, but either way it shows how much our special teams have improved. Can't complain about that -- keep it up.
Best (for us) opponent starting position, yes. That’s what I heard McClain say before in one of his recent videos. That damn good for Gaine’s first year as GM, but more so for Seely. Looks like we got the real deal coaching up our special teams unit.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
Right? I just wonder what our unit will look like now without Ejiofor and Blue. Hopefully a few of the UDFAs, and/or draftees can take it to another level.
Gotta trust Brad Sealy to get the most out of the available players.

banned1976

sleeper mode
It's about time that all 3 phases of the Texans are now fun to watch. Well, at least most of time.
Except for Texans offense on first down (Miller up the middle) and the Texans defense on 3rd down and long (= first down for almost any opponent).

HaveMercy

Passing Through
Except for Texans offense on first down (Miller up the middle) and the Texans defense on 3rd down and long (= first down for almost any opponent).
I was going to say something about drinking the Kool Aid, but then recalled the horrible history connected to that phrase.

But a little optimism is a good thing, just like a little pessimism can be. I like to think this year may be a bit like a roller coaster except that this one ends up higher than it started. A few big Special Teams plays would be a lot of fun to see.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
It's about time that all 3 phases of the Texans are now fun to watch. Well, at least most of time.

Meh …. kickoffs are boring now.

I get player safety and all but damn , they took all the excitement out of literally the most exciting plays in the game.

And what's this start at the 25 crap ?! ….. its been the 20 for as long as I been alive and then some and I aint no spring chicken.

(guess my rant is more league / rules than Texans - Yeah , they finally don't suck on ST).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Meh …. kickoffs are boring now.

I get player safety and all but damn , they took all the excitement out of literally the most exciting plays in the game.

And what's this start at the 25 crap ?! ….. its been the 20 for as long as I been alive and then some and I aint no spring chicken.

(guess my rant is more league / rules than Texans - Yeah , they finally don't suck on ST).
Rich McKay, you know the guy that got suspended is on the rules committee. He and God'ell are 2 peas in a pod.

Mangler

Toro de España
Besides Cullen Gillaspia (FB) looking good, anyone got anything new on our special teams? How are they looking? I won’t be able to make it to any of the training camp dates.