Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Special Teams going backward this season

TexansFight

Veteran
The 3rd phase of the game today was very troubling and is the only thing that takes away from a great performance. How much longer are we going to stick with Fairbairn and why hasn’t our special teams coach figured out what he is doing causing his kicks to tail off to the right. You’d think with all of the tape they have that they can pinpoint what’s going on.

I still think he has a lot of talent and can be an asset like he was last year but if he has another game like today we should be looking for another kicker.

Way too many penalties on returns and the muff was inexcusable. What needs to happen to fix this ****.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't consider replacing Fairbairn. He was money down the stretch last season & I'd rather try to get him back to that than to find someone off the street to fill that role.

I did like all the kicks to the front of the endzone instead of conceding 25 yards on kickoffs.

TexansFight

Veteran
I wouldn't consider replacing Fairbairn. He was money down the stretch last season & I'd rather try to get him back to that than to find someone off the street to fill that role.

I did like all the kicks to the front of the endzone instead of conceding 25 yards on kickoffs.
I agree. Love his kickoffs which he hasn’t struggled with this year. Kickers can be finicky, I just wish they can figure out what he is doing wrong like my golf pro can tell with my swing when it sucks. Buttchin ripped into him hard after the first miss PAT. He better not miss another one for his job security.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I remember when Kris Brown went off there was something posted saying that you cannot fix a kicker's mechanics in season when something goes wrong like this.

I can't remember the reasoning behind it.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I think you bring in someone to push the kicker but you’re not going to find someone better than him on the street.

KR should be swapped out. He’s been mediocre at best.

LS is unoticed and that’s great.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Someone mentioned it, Anger could be doing things he just does not like when holding. Agree to fix even though we won, but suspect new kicker is less likely then working on what is bothering him as he was nails last year. Need to address and Carter needs to do the one thing we ask him to do, be a reliable returner. Don't need spectacular.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I remember when Kris Brown went off there was something posted saying that you cannot fix a kicker's mechanics in season when something goes wrong like this.

Looks like Vinatieri fixed his issues.

Probably why he's GOAT.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I would expect there to be some kickers brought in to work out and perk everybody up. Cant wait for Fairbairn to actually lose you a game. Proactive not reactive.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I do like kicking off just inside the 5 so they will attempt a return and keeping the opponent inside the 25. We did it in the 1st half then stopped.
The only time I wanna kick it past the 5 is against a dangerous return man. I cant think of a single dangerous return man in the league this year.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I would expect there to be some kickers brought in to work out and perk everybody up. Cant wait for Fairbairn to actually lose you a game. Proactive not reactive.
It might be hard to find a kicker in midseason, but you have to try. If you leave Fairbairn in there, he will lose a game sooner or later. He looks like a Kris Brown to me. <choke>

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

In kicking and golf, it's called "the yips" and it's not well documented or studied, as far as I can tell. Look at a legend like Vinatiari missing the kicks he missed.