Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Something to think about

mussop

Hall of Fame
James Laurinaitus. He is considered a top 15 pick by most yet I havent seen or heard of anyone mentioning him as a possibility for us. I love Adibi he was fav pick of that draft but he is still not a sure thing. Can he stay on the field? We still dont know if Diles will be back 100%. I know Laurin wouldnt be a sexy pick but it would be filling a need IMO. Like TTP said, if you are going to shoot the gaps with the front four you better have LB's that can scrape.

I think part of the problem is that Laurinitis is considered an inside linebacker. He's probably going to go a little later in the first.

We could take him. It's definitely a possibility but... can he play SAM? Is he good enough to allow Demeco to go to SAM? With Rey, both of those questions could be answered with a yes. With Laurinitis... I don't know. If we could, then I think you'd hear more talk about him.

If he has a good Combine, then you can bet on him entering the conversation.

*** I am not one of the draftniks on the board so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt because I could very well be wrong.

I've been thinking he could be a possibility for us also. I think he could play the SAM or possibly move to the MLB spot. He's athletic, has size/speed and savvy. Last year he was talked as a top 15 player and this year he's slipped, but if he has a great combine, he may smart gaining ground on the USC guys who got a lot of press at the Senior Bowl.

I'd still love to have Rey, but Laurinaitus might be next best thing. I'm a little leary of some of the DEs in the 1st and might prefer we look in rounds 2-4 for a DE.

I'll pass on Laurinitis, I'd much rather have Brian Cushing at OLB. Cushing can play the SAM and would be a big upgrade from Diles. If what I've heard about Diles broken leg, there's a good chance he won't be back to training camp and I can see Cushing as a strong possibility in the 1st round. Diles never should have been a starter to begin with.

IMO, We're not even near the Combine and Cushing's already being overrated. NFLN will be airing a show following Cushing to the Combine and possibly the draft.

I'll pass on Laurinitis, I'd much rather have Brian Cushing at OLB. Cushing can play the SAM and would be a big upgrade from Diles. If what I've heard about Diles broken leg, there's a good chance he won't be back to training camp and I can see Cushing as a strong possibility in the 1st round. Diles never should have been a starter to begin with.

While I agree with this, you have to admit, Laurinitis is the cleaner player. No smoke blowing about Laurinitis.

If that's true about Diles....and they find one of these tweeners with a pass rush who can stand up....wouldn't that be a perfect fit for us ? Like a Sidbury... or an English ? If Maybin is on the board that would be my pick for the Sam to replace Diles. 250 pouund guy who can scrape and fill when they send the DTs slanting. And he's going to beat 98% of the tackles he faces when he runs the arch on his pass rush. He'll give them fits everytime they send the guy.

While I agree with this, you have to admit, Laurinitis is the cleaner player. No smoke blowing about Laurinitis.

If that's true about Diles....and they find one of these tweeners with a pass rush who can stand up....wouldn't that be a perfect fit for us ? Like a Sidbury... or an English ? If Maybin is on the board that would be my pick for the Sam to replace Diles. 250 pouund guy who can scrape and fill when they send the DTs slanting. And he's going to beat 98% of the tackles he faces when he runs the arch on his pass rush. He'll give them fits everytime they send the guy.

I agree. Cushing has alot of rumors floating around about him. I've seen the pictures, and it worries me. I also agree with getting a big Sam backer. We need size somewhere in our front seven.

I agree. Cushing has alot of rumors floating around about him. I've seen the pictures, and it worries me. I also agree with getting a big Sam backer. We need size somewhere in our front seven.

Yes, but we need speed more than anything. I haven't seen a whole lot of Cushing or Lauranitis on film so I'll let one of y'all fill me in on who's the quicker of the two. I'm talking game speed not 40 yarders in shorts.

IMO, Diles was playing the run decently, but he's just not fast enough in coverage or sideline to sideline.

Yes, but we need speed more than anything. I haven't seen a whole lot of Cushing or Lauranitis on film so I'll let one of y'all fill me in on who's the quicker of the two. I'm talking game speed not 40 yarders in shorts.

IMO, Diles was playing the run decently, but he's just not fast enough in coverage or sideline to sideline.

I agree some, but if we're gonna have a small dline, and 3 small line backers, no one will ever throw a pass anyway. We need a 2 down Sam Backer, an actual FS, and pass rush. Maybe a guy like Maybin or English could play Sam 2 downs and then move down to pass rush? Would be ok with that.

I agree some, but if we're gonna have a small dline, and 3 small line backers, no one will ever throw a pass anyway. We need a 2 down Sam Backer, an actual FS, and pass rush. Maybe a guy like Maybin or English could play Sam 2 downs and then move down to pass rush? Would be ok with that.

I don't know. There are many LB's that have the quicks along with some size. Heck, if Adibi adds another 10 lbs of muscle he'd be awesome as our Will (given he's able to stay on the field). I wouldn't have a problem with our Sam being in the 240-250 range as long as they've got some game speed. They're out there, I just hope we can find one of them.

I don't know. There are many LB's that have the quicks along with some size. Heck, if Adibi adds another 10 lbs of muscle he'd be awesome as our Will (given he's able to stay on the field). I wouldn't have a problem with our Sam being in the 240-250 range as long as they've got some game speed. They're out there, I just hope we can find one of them.

I'm just really worried about having 3 smallish LB's and a smallish dline. A guy like Maybin/English would be able to play 2 positions and maybe doubly help us.

Back