Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So what was wrong with the play calling?

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
I notice a lot of complaints about the play calling?

So, what were the issues? Be specific. Because I didn’t see any, other than the 2 4th down calls.

Having not reviewed the game, there seemed to be a lot of naked bootlegs, or waggles, that left the edge on the play side unblocked. They ran the same play in the preseason. It wasn't really working, but it was continually called. That was my biggest issue but:

1) First game for DeMeco as HC
2) First game for Slowik as OC
3) First game for Stroud
4) The O-line is a mess due to injuries
5) The Ravens are better

Let's beat the Colts.

The first series of the second half was atrocious. You don’t even have the offensive line power to pull off what you were trying to do.
You’re running screens with slows ash Wood and Brown. Come on run some screens with Tank or a faster shifter receiver.
Dameon Pierce wasn’t a major factor in your offense. Come on Slowik feed the darn beast.
Tank Dell wasn’t a major part in your game planning. Come on Slowik.
And finally you’re not utilizing your best TE who was very pivotal in the Cowboys offense. Come on Slowik.

Had to burn every 1st half timeout and then another in the 2nd half because of play calls.

You can't put in complicated play calls in a loud building. That's a very rookie OC move.

This is a run first to set up play action offense. The run game sucked. We started most series by going run, pass, pass - way too predictable.

Ravens D calls had Slowik on a string. Blitzing often worked without having hot routes for Stroud and then calling very obvious screens on 3rd and long. Screens to our slowest players no less.

A complete lack of using our arguably biggest receiving weapon in Tank Dell who we only got to see late, making plays, when the game was done and over.

Deiter starting at RT for some insane reason when he came in. They eventually switched to the obvious formation by putting the tackle at tackle and the guard at guard but that was after the sack fumble when the guard playing tackle got worked immediately.

Overall also when the offense looks clunky, disorganized and requires multiple timeouts and multiple bailouts by picking up 1st downs via penalty then that rests squarely on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator.

I didn't complain about the playcalling, but since you asked.

They've got to get the run game started. Looked like they were determined to make it work running up the middle. Everything (seemed like) outside was designed to go up the middle & they had to bounce outside because there wasn't a hole inside. This team has got to be able to attack the LOS multiple ways to get the run game started. dives, off-tackle, draws, reverses, sweeps, tosses

& then screens... to the RB. Center screens as well. Even jet-sweeps. Can't just attack the LOS one way.

Then, since I'm thinking about it. On the first 3rd down play they try to get fancy with their pass blocking. Some kind of stunt. Texans OL ran into each other, Ravens DL run free to the QB... 3 ring circle-ish.

The first series of the second half was atrocious. You don’t even have the offensive line power to pull off what you were trying to do.
You’re running screens with slows ash Wood and Brown. Come on run some screens with Tank or a faster shifter receiver.
Dameon Pierce wasn’t a major factor in your offense. Come on Slowik feed the darn beast.
Tank Dell wasn’t a major part in your game planning. Come on Slowik.
And finally you’re not utilizing your best TE who was very pivotal in the Cowboys offense. Come on Slowik.

Didn't see the game, but I expected this post, TB is a true Texan fan.

Didn't see the game, but I expected this post, TB is a true Texan fan.
Thing about being a true fan.

People always trying to hit you with 💩💩💩.

I don't get it but people are always preparing for the day they hit one.

First baseball, then poo flinging.... humanity is an odd bunch.

I didn't watch the second half but I agree with most of what has been complained about.

A lot of questionable calls from pretty much all the rookies this game but its to be expected.... as long as they learned, coaching and players, Im not that worried yet

Thing about being a true fan.

People always trying to hit you with 💩💩💩.

I don't get it but people are always preparing for the day they hit one.

First baseball, then poo flinging.... humanity is an odd bunch.

Sometimes I think life is a poo flinging contest.

BTW, Vacations are great.

The naked bootleg has to be set up by the run. After enough run plays, the front seven defenders will commit to stuffing the line, then the QB can roll out unpressured and throw downfield.

Slowik was calling bootlegs without run plays, so defenders did not commit to stuffing the line, which left unblocked D-linemen with free access to Stroud.

This is supposed to be a run first system. The only explanation I have is that the backup linemen were too inexperienced to zone block adequately.

I was mostly on the Astros game but I recorded it and flipped between them from time to time. Later I watched the offense and I only had one real question. "I thought we had a running back?" I was trying to figure out if Pierce had been hurt or something he just disappeared. Why was that?

Honestly, felt like the Texans ran the ball just fine. They were getting 3-4 at will and did a decent job of getting CJ in 3rd and manageable situations.

Weird screen called in a 3rd and goal situation.

I did have some issues with personnel decisions.

Complete head scratcher by Slowik to put Dieter at RT when they just got Josh Jones, a relatively serviceable tackle for the Cardinals last year playing GUARD, the position Dieter actually plays. That just shows you that Bobby was a bit overwhelmed.

Another question mark I had was once Dieter was put in the game, why in the world did they not chip the Ravens edge to give Dieter some help.

Texans decision to sub on that 4th down try....

Slowik's play calling was honestly fine, but the mistakes with personnel, play design(not call) were shades of a guy who hasn't called plays before.

He is going to get better at this.

The play calling that got me was asking a young team to go for it on 4th and short, twice, and not getting them into the right plays to succeed.
Before the second attempted 4th and 1 DeMeco should have called a timeout and punt it. It was BS the refs stopped the Texans no-huddle to let Baltimore make the proper substitutions. Rookie mistake by the HC as well.

The play calling that got me was asking a young team to go for it on 4th and short, twice, and not getting them into the right plays to succeed.

Honestly... the plays were fine. In the rhythm of the game. The defense was playing very well. They were pushing the Ravens DL for 3-4 yards a pop and Pierce rarely goes backwards. I think running the ball in those situations made sense. It just didn't work. The issue with your line of thinking is that if it did work, you would be praising Demeco today about his aggressiveness and how he trusted his guys. Stop yo bitchin!

Before the second attempted 4th and 1 DeMeco should have called a timeout and punt it. It was BS the refs stopped the Texans no-huddle to let Baltimore make the proper substitutions. Rookie mistake by the HC as well.
It's a rule thinggy I believe.

Patience. It takes some time to develop courage to go for first down on 4th and short. We obviously now have said courage so next step is to develop successful plays. Then teach players to go forth and be fruitful. No.. wait. Wrong play book. Go forth and do it.
No, wait.

Anyway, patience ...

Honestly... the plays were fine. In the rhythm of the game. The defense was playing very well. They were pushing the Ravens DL for 3-4 yards a pop and Pierce rarely goes backwards. I think running the ball in those situations made sense. It just didn't work. The issue with your line of thinking is that if it did work, you would be praising Demeco today about his aggressiveness and how he trusted his guys. Stop yo bitchin!

You apparently do not know me. I'm one of the guys that prefers defensive to offensive coaches because defensive coaches usually (not always) play more conservatively.

I would have been happy if they made those plays, but I would never have suggested they try it and I wouldn't have been praising Demeco for being aggressive.

Especially with our offensive line. Those sorts of plays usually go to the team getting the push, and I didn't trust our team to get the push against the Ravens.

You apparently do not know me. I'm one of the guys that prefers defensive to offensive coaches because defensive coaches usually (not always) play more conservatively.

I would have been happy if they made those plays, but I would never have suggested they try it and I wouldn't have been praising Demeco for being aggressive.

Especially with our offensive line. Those sorts of plays usually go to the team getting the push, and I didn't trust our team to get the push against the Ravens.

True, but to my point prior. They were getting a push. They just couldn't play a clean series without a flag and unfortunately, they don't possess a TE or WR that can consistently make up for getting behind the chains. Whether Tank Dell becomes that guy, who knows.

True, but to my point prior. They were getting a push. They just couldn't play a clean series without a flag and unfortunately, they don't possess a TE or WR that can consistently make up for getting behind the chains. Whether Tank Dell becomes that guy, who knows.
Things will get much better once Howard and Scruggs get back. Right now the ol looks like the same ol that Mills had to deal with last year. Plus the Ravens are pretty stout against the run and the new offense looked a lot like last years offense although there are big differences between the two offenses.

This is actually a great learning environment for Stroud. I even think this ol group will look better next game. With that said, I haven't watched the game yet, how did Patterson and Jones look?

Things will get much better once Howard and Scruggs get back. Right now the ol looks like the same ol that Mills had to deal with last year. Plus the Ravens are pretty stout against the run and the new offense looked a lot like last years offense although there are big differences between the two offenses.

This is actually a great learning environment for Stroud. I even think this ol group will look better next game. With that said, I haven't watched the game yet, how did Patterson and Jones look?

I couldn't tell, it seemed like the leaks were happening everywhere except Tunsils side in which he was getting called for phantom holding penalties.

Patterson looked okay, if you grade him on a rookie curve I thought it was good. Gave up a few pressures but nothing super egregious (better than Quessenberry last year). Jones didn't look good.

The issue with the Ravens game wasn't necessarily individual play it was communication. They have two great blitzing LB's (Smith and Queen) and they took full advantage of that running some exotic blitzes which confused the hell out of our offense. My issue is I don't know enough about football to know who's fault it is between the QB,C,OC, or other olineman so hard to place blame from the outside.

The question moving forward is are defenses with less talent at LB and different d coordinators going to try and do that all year and if so can we adapt as Stroud and the oline (hopefully) gel.

I couldn't tell, it seemed like the leaks were happening everywhere except Tunsils side in which he was getting called for phantom holding penalties.
That sack where Mbaka (sp) came unblocked was on Tunsil.

you don't know me by TI

Watch Patterson on the play at 2:00

Watch Tunsil at 4:36

This is what I've always been saying about grading OL. No one knows who really messed up except the coaches and players.

At 2:00, what I see is that Patterson thought he was supposed to pull around to the left while Jones is supposed to block down on the DT. Watch Jones there, he's trying to get to the DT. To me, that's a mistake either on Jones for not making that block. Or you could call that on Slowik for putting in a blocking scheme that was too complicated for us to pull off properly because Patterson looks like an idiot on that play.

At 4:36, I think Tunsil was doing what he was supposed to be doing there. He was supposed to run that way and if there was someone in front of him, hit them like it was a run play (without moving past the LOS). The Raven was supposed to be influenced by the movement and pursue, but he didn't buy the fake largely because we hadn't adequately established the run. Tunsil COULD have been wrong there, but I wouldn't automatically call that a mistake on his part. I'd place the blame on Slowik there.

Now, I'm saying all this and I acknowledge that I don't really know. You could totally be right.

Patterson looked okay, if you grade him on a rookie curve I thought it was good. Gave up a few pressures but nothing super egregious (better than Quessenberry last year). Jones didn't look good.

The issue with the Ravens game wasn't necessarily individual play it was communication. They have two great blitzing LB's (Smith and Queen) and they took full advantage of that running some exotic blitzes which confused the hell out of our offense. My issue is I don't know enough about football to know who's fault it is between the QB,C,OC, or other olineman so hard to place blame from the outside.

The question moving forward is are defenses with less talent at LB and different d coordinators going to try and do that all year and if so can we adapt as Stroud and the oline (hopefully) gel.
This is to be expected.

So y'all didn't expect communication issues with the ol?

The system isn't complicated.

What gets me is how you can judge Stroud’s play under duress when you don’t even watch the game. Yesterday I kept wondering, ‘Jeez, did this guy even watch the same game as I did?’
:dontknowa
[/QUOTE
I was talking about the ol issues and it was expected that there would communication issues. Most posters said the ol looked a lot like last years ol.

Are they wrong?

Stroud is going to go through growing pains because he isn't in Columbus and is going to have to learn how to deal with pressure better. This is a general thought, not game specific.

Last edited:
Injury concerns have changed the game. Pre-season has been cut short one game. Most established players rested and protected. Only players benefiting from increased exposure are those trying to make the roster. Lack of continuity really hurts a revamped roster like the Texans and coaches are just scrambling to implement new scheme and make fit adjustments on the fly. Slow start is perfectly normal and understandable. Which doesn't sit well with immediate gratification culture.

Back