Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Shrine Bowl

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I really liked 5 guys from the Shrine Bowl, what rds do y'all think the go in and how does Caserioget the picks to draft these guys? I've got all of these guys in the 4th-5th rd range.

1. Kyle Phillips, Slot WR- UCLA- The next Amendola/Welker. Always open/fearless and can KR/PR.

2. Jelani Woods TE- Virginia- Oklahoma St. Transfer, was mainly a blocker at Ok. St. and a very good blocker at that. This yr at Virginia he proved to be a very good receiver who has the speed to get down the field and has very good hands. Huge guy at 6'7 260. If he's there in the 4th hen he would be my pick

3. Ty Chandler RB North Carolina, 5'9-209, very fast and silky smooth. Not afraid to run inside and has a knack for finding small creases in tight spaces. Has speed to get to the edge. Very good hands in pass game and very good short yardage runner. Dont know how good he is in pass pro. Better version of Micheal Carter of NYJ. 3 down RB.

4. Bamidele Olaseni OT/OG - Utah - Big tough dude with good feet for a big man. Finishes his blocks and plays with a mean streak. If Caserio waits until later later to draft to fix the OL then this is my guy.

5. Charleston Rambo WR Miami- Oklahoma Transfer, Smooth mover, runs good routes, excellent quickness and route running. Very talented, cant wait to see what he runs at the combine. Playmaker.

Thoughts?

Every player at the Shrine Bowl can be found in the 5th round and down. You know, the picks Caserio likes to trade for guys he will cut later. The Texans have 4 picks in the last 2 rounds. I'm sure they could come away with at least 3 of these players. If Nick keeps the picks.

Every player at the Shrine Bowl can be found in the 5th round and down. You know, the picks Caserio likes to trade for guys he will cut later. The Texans have 4 picks in the last 2 rounds. I'm sure they could come away with at least 3 of these players. If Nick keeps the picks.

If that's the case I'm trading down from 4-115 for more picks and drafting 4 of these guys. I really like the first 3 guys I listed.

I really liked 5 guys from the Shrine Bowl, what rds do y'all think the go in and how does Caserioget the picks to draft these guys? I've got all of these guys in the 4th-5th rd range.

1. Kyle Phillips, Slot WR- UCLA- The next Amendola/Welker. Always open/fearless and can KR/PR.

2. Jelani Woods TE- Virginia- Oklahoma St. Transfer, was mainly a blocker at Ok. St. and a very good blocker at that. This yr at Virginia he proved to be a very good receiver who has the speed to get down the field and has very good hands. Huge guy at 6'7 260. If he's there in the 4th hen he would be my pick

3. Ty Chandler RB North Carolina, 5'9-209, very fast and silky smooth. Not afraid to run inside and has a knack for finding small creases in tight spaces. Has speed to get to the edge. Very good hands in pass game and very good short yardage runner. Dont know how good he is in pass pro. Better version of Micheal Carter of NYJ. 3 down RB.

4. Bamidele Olaseni OT/OG - Utah - Big tough dude with good feet for a big man. Finishes his blocks and plays with a mean streak. If Caserio waits until later later to draft to fix the OL then this is my guy.

5. Charleston Rambo WR Miami- Oklahoma Transfer, Smooth mover, runs good routes, excellent quickness and route running. Very talented, cant wait to see what he runs at the combine. Playmaker.

Thoughts?
I like 4/5 of the guys. I’d switch Olaseni for Cordell Volson OL and have him play guard.
I really like Pierre Strong Jr RB. I think the later rounds are going to have a multitudes of guys to choose from for the backfield. Strong or Chandler could be our guy.
Another potential is Luke Wattenberg C, but I think I’d prefer Cole Strange from the Senior Bowl if I had to choose.

I like 4/5 of the guys. I’d switch Olaseni for Cordell Volson OL and have him play guard.
I really like Pierre Strong Jr RB. I think the later rounds are going to have a multitudes of guys to choose from for the backfield. Strong or Chandler could be our guy.
Another potential is Luke Wattenberg C, but I think I’d prefer Cole Strange from the Senior Bowl if I had to choose.
Cole Strange would be awesome.

Thoughts?

just a guess, still early

Kyle Phillips 6th
Jelani Woods 5th
Ty Chandler 6th
Olaseni 7th
Rambo 7th

Not is Shrine, but Senior Bowl is UCLA TE Greg Dulcich. Liked him during season too always making big plays. Soft hands, picks the ball cleanly, runs crisp routes, shows ability to separate, bigger version of Owen Daniels. Coming in to Mobil considered a 4th/5th but he may have worked himself into 3rd.

Not is Shrine, but Senior Bowl is UCLA TE Greg Dulcich. Liked him during season too always making big plays. Soft hands, picks the ball cleanly, runs crisp routes, shows ability to separate, bigger version of Owen Daniels. Coming in to Mobil considered a 4th/5th but he may have worked himself into 3rd.

If the picks were Ross or Watson at #68 and Dulcich at 80, I would be very happy.

I also like Woods TE- Virginia at 80.

WR- Danny Gray, SMU should fill that roll nicely.

Is Danny Gray 6'3/6'4?

I haven't studied Gray at all. But I though he was more of a slot guy. I did read he was one of the fastest guys at the Sr. Bowl. I watched his teammate Roberson in the game he got hurt in 2 yrs ago and was impressed with him before he got hurt.

Velus Jones has impressed me so far. Drew holding call in the EZ and a long pass. Smart guy who creates separation.

Dulcich with a nice block on a long run.

Is Danny Gray 6'3/6'4?

I haven't studied Gray at all. But I though he was more of a slot guy. I did read he was one of the fastest guys at the Sr. Bowl. I watched his teammate Roberson in the game he got hurt in 2 yrs ago and was impressed with him before he got hurt.

Gray is 6-0 @ 182 lbs. I’m also liking WR- Samori Toure from Nebraska. He’s 6-1 @ 192 lbs. Both have speed, but I think Gray might be the one who’s closer to elite speed.

Thoughts?
I'm still trying to figure out why you're set on finding a slot when you can scheme anyone in a slot

This philosophy is why the Texans have never really had a good slot wr.
You dont need a slot guy to have a highly productive offense in the NFL. It worked for NE because they had the Goat and their offense was all inside the hash marks. When Peyton had the Colts running on 93 octane, they didn't have a slot. They most important thing to me is having explosive perimeter players. If you have that, it opens up the inside because the safeties have to play deep. If the Texans get more explosion aside from Cooks and if Collins can make gains, Cooks is going to be your "slot" guy. Or like I stated in another thread, a Y-flex te like Kelce,Waller,or Kittles solves that problem too.

I'm still trying to figure out why you're set on finding a slot when you can scheme anyone in a slot

If Fuller had stayed healthy and the Texans could’ve added…let’s say, Nico Collins…then Hopkins would’ve been an absolute beast from the slot. I really liked it when OB put Hopkins in the slot a few times before he was jettisoned off to Arizona.

You dont need a slot guy to have a highly productive offense in the NFL. It worked for NE because they had the Goat and their offense was all inside the hash marks. When Peyton had the Colts running on 93 octane, they didn't have a slot. They most important thing to me is having explosive perimeter players. If you have that, it opens up the inside because the safeties have to play deep. If the Texans get more explosion aside from Cooks and if Collins can make gains, Cooks is going to be your "slot" guy. Or like I stated in another thread, a Y-flex te like Kelce,Waller,or Kittles solves that problem too.

You need 3 good wr's in today's NFL.

Look at last week's games and the slot wr's, sure they moved Kupp/Hill/Deebo around and when Deebo was playing RB Jennings was very productive playing the slot Also Boyd, while his numbers are down this yr is very good.

Point is these guys give their QB's another option to work with. Quick, who was Mills slot wr last yr?

I’d love to add a good slot guy! Guys I like as options are:

- Kyle Phillips
- Skyy Moore
- Velus Jones

Although if we are able to get more draft capital I could see us grabbing 2 WRs.
I didn't know much about Jones until this week. But he impressed me. Tennessee has a good track record of producing wr's. Jennings/Palmer in the last couple of years.

I don't know much about Moore.

I do know alot about Phillips and what he did at the Shrine game didn't surprise me.

You need 3 good wr's in today's NFL.

Look at last week's games and the slot wr's, sure they moved Kupp/Hill/Deebo around and when Deebo was playing RB Jennings was very productive playing the slot Also Boyd, while his numbers are down this yr is very good.

Point is these guys give their QB's another option to work with. Quick, who was Mills slot wr last yr?
Kupp is not a slot in your mold, but McVeigh run alot of tight stack formations to use more field. Kupp isn't out there running option routes averaging 10 ypc like Welker and Edelman were. Watch KC and see how many times Cheetah line up inside. Thats considered the slot, but he's running over routes and shallow crosses. If they get an explosive perimeter wr, Cooks can be the "slot" guy, but he's not going to be in the image of those choice route guys you speak of.

Kupp is not a slot in your mold, but McVeigh run alot of tight stack formations to use more field. Kupp isn't out there running option routes averaging 10 ypc like Welker and Edelman were. Watch KC and see how many times Cheetah line up inside. Thats considered the slot, but he's running over routes and shallow crosses. If they get an explosive perimeter wr, Cooks can be the "slot" guy, but he's not going to be in the image of those choice route guys you speak of.

A guy can do both, like Kupp/Hill etc... are

Thoughts?
I like Jelani Woods and Charleston Rambo. I think they both have a lot of potential to be stars. I like Chandler also, but I like Damien Pierce better. The thing about the RB's in this class is that there will be value in every round this year. We won't need to reach early for any particular RB.

One of the reasons I would like to get Pierce is that he didn't take a pounding since Florida threw the ball a lot, so he should still have a lot of mileage left on him. Another reason I like Pierce is he is 220 lbs, but has the moves of a smaller back. He's fast enough that he can split out and play in the slot. But, what I really like about Pierce is that he fights for every yard, and rarely gets solo tackled. He's strong enough to run it up the gut, but fast enough to take it outside.

I’m curious to see how TE- Lucas Krull (Pitt) does at the Combine and his Pro Day. He’s 6-6 @ 260 lbs and had a decent season with 6 TD’s. Could get him late since he hasn’t had much media buzz….a sleeper.

I like Jelani Woods and Charleston Rambo. I think they both have a lot of potential to be stars. I like Chandler also, but I like Damien Pierce better. The thing about the RB's in this class is that there will be value in every round this year. We won't need to reach early for any particular RB.

One of the reasons I would like to get Pierce is that he didn't take a pounding since Florida threw the ball a lot, so he should still have a lot of mileage left on him. Another reason I like Pierce is he is 220 lbs, but has the moves of a smaller back. He's fast enough that he can split out and play in the slot. But, what I really like about Pierce is that he fights for every yard, and rarely gets solo tackled. He's strong enough to run it up the gut, but fast enough to take it outside.

I like Pierce too.

Would you rather have this Combo

3rd rd Pierce/Late rd TE like Austin Allen in the 6th

or

Dulcich/Ferguson/Ruckert in the 3rd and Chandler/Ingram/Corbin in the 6th

I like Pierce too.

Would you rather have this Combo

3rd rd Pierce/Late rd TE like Austin Allen in the 6th

or

Dulcich/Ferguson/Ruckert in the 3rd and Chandler/Ingram/Corbin in the 6th
How fast is Allen? How good of a blocker is he? I like his size, but he just seems slow, and not very agile. He could be an interesting prospect.

Even though I really like Pierce, because there are so many good RB's in this draft, I'd probably pass on him in the 3rd, and go with one of the other guys later. I think there will be some very good RB's in the 5th and 6th rounds.

How fast is Allen? How good of a blocker is he? I like his size, but he just seems slow, and not very agile. He could be an interesting prospect.

Even though I really like Pierce, because there are so many good RB's in this draft, I'd probably pass on him in the 3rd, and go with one of the other guys later. I think there will be some very good RB's in the 5th and 6th rounds.

Dont know how fast he is, but he was all Big-10.

I'm thinking like you are in the last paragraph.

Back