Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Seth Payne's status

His status is that he's recovering from major knee surgery, and his recovery has been interrupted by 2 different procedures to remove scar tissue.

Now, at the risk of backlash, I'm going to put my pragmatic hat on and say that I expect him him to back to his old self again for the 2005 season, not 2004. He may play in 2004, but he won't be the Seth Payne that we saw last season before he tore his ACL. He will be just like Tony Hollings was last year, or any other player that came back from an ACL tear. The season following the injury will be a mind game - concentrating more on re-injury avoidance, instead of going out there and playing full speed.

I do NOT expect Seth Payne to be making that much of any impact on the DL this year. If he plays at all, it will be a limited amount of plays, and only in the latter part of the season. But I certainly don't look for him to be effective in tying up any doubleteams to free up the ends on a pass rush. His knee (and his frame of mind surrounding his knee) will not be recovered enough. And we can reasonably expect some more setbacks during his rehab in the beginning part of training camp.

Sorry, but I'm just trying to be a little realistic, considering the history of other NFL players recovering from ACL injuries. But there is no reason why Seth shouldn't be back to his former self for the 2005 season, provided that he isn't pressured into coming back too quickly in 2004.

Spartan117 said:
Now, at the risk of backlash, I'm going to put my pragmatic hat on and say that I expect him him to back to his old self again for the 2005 season, not 2004...I do NOT expect Seth Payne to be making that much of any impact on the DL this year. If he plays at all, it will be a limited amount of plays, and only in the latter part of the season...
I'm not going to lash out at you...you very well could be right. But I will point out that the Texans certainly don't share your negative outlook on Payne. The fact that they've done pretty much nothing to shore up the NT position implies to me that the Texans are counting on a healthly & productive Payne. I guess we'll see who has the most foresight, but no slight intended, I'm hoping it's the Texans.

I think all of us that have been through the Boselli fiasco are bit weary when a player is not participating yet on the field. If he comes back, there is no way it will be 100% despite what any homer will tell you. It take time to both physically and mentally overcome surgeries. I doubt we see much of him the 1st couple of weeks of camp but his timetable was for the later part of Aug anyways. Godspeed to him and his recoveries, but let's be realistic.

Spartan117 said:
His status is that he's recovering from major knee surgery, and his recovery has been interrupted by 2 different procedures to remove scar tissue.

Now, at the risk of backlash, I'm going to put my pragmatic hat on and say that I expect him him to back to his old self again for the 2005 season, not 2004. He may play in 2004, but he won't be the Seth Payne that we saw last season before he tore his ACL. He will be just like Tony Hollings was last year, or any other player that came back from an ACL tear. The season following the injury will be a mind game - concentrating more on re-injury avoidance, instead of going out there and playing full speed.

I do NOT expect Seth Payne to be making that much of any impact on the DL this year. If he plays at all, it will be a limited amount of plays, and only in the latter part of the season. But I certainly don't look for him to be effective in tying up any doubleteams to free up the ends on a pass rush. His knee (and his frame of mind surrounding his knee) will not be recovered enough. And we can reasonably expect some more setbacks during his rehab in the beginning part of training camp.

Sorry, but I'm just trying to be a little realistic, considering the history of other NFL players recovering from ACL injuries. But there is no reason why Seth shouldn't be back to his former self for the 2005 season, provided that he isn't pressured into coming back too quickly in 2004.

The difference in the two situations you describe is position. ACL are more common at the skill positions and require a longer rehabilitation. This is true for two reasons. One the lineman tend to have bigger leg muscles which allow the rest of the muscles to make up for ACL instability and two because lineman don't cut on one leg. They compensate with the pusg they get from both legs. You see more lineman with knee injuries but they miss less games. Their knees adapt better.

From CBSSportsline:

QB Tony Banks was limited during the first few days of the Texans' coaching sessions with a mildly sprained right ankle. Banks suffered the injury in April while playing a pickup basketball game.

-- NT Seth Payne was on the field for full-squad workouts earlier this month but did not participate. Payne continues to rehab from ACL surgery on his left knee. "My target to not only play, but play well on Sept. 12," Payne said of the season opener against San Diego.

-- DE Gary Walker is showing no signs of the toe injury that limited him to four starts last season. Walker has been cleared for full participation.

-- TE Bennie Joppru has looked sharp during early workouts after missing his entire rookie season with a groin injury. Joppru, who is considered the Texans' best receiving/blocking option at tight end, is expected to compete for playing time with Billy Miller and Mark Bruener.

Not really new on Payne, but good to hear about Walker & Joppru.

Particularly on Joppru. That is a REAL tough injury to come back from and at least for the moment he seems to be doing well.

I think we are a bit over-sensitive about this injury thing. I'm not too worried about it. I pretty much agree with Lucky on this one. Linemen get their knees cut on 5, 6, 10-12 times a career and play all the time.

Yeah I do agree we are a little bit over sensitive about the whole injury/recovery thing, but who can blame us after last season. I'd imagine its much the same feeling Atlanta fans get when they see Vick scrambling from the pocket. Good luck this year Mike.

glenn didn't need surgery...that's the only thing about his grion injury i know...he's been participating during the coaching sessions so as far as i'm concerned his back to a 100%...it is encouraging to hear about walker and joppru...still patentially waiting to see joppru's debut as a texan

keyfro said:
glenn didn't need surgery...that's the only thing about his grion injury i know...he's been participating during the coaching sessions so as far as i'm concerned his back to a 100%...it is encouraging to hear about walker and joppru...still patentially waiting to see joppru's debut as a texan
You aren't kidding about Joppru....I'm dying to see that guy in action with the Texans.

done88 said:
The difference in the two situations you describe is position. ACL are more common at the skill positions and require a longer rehabilitation. This is true for two reasons. One the lineman tend to have bigger leg muscles which allow the rest of the muscles to make up for ACL instability and two because lineman don't cut on one leg. They compensate with the pusg they get from both legs. You see more lineman with knee injuries but they miss less games. Their knees adapt better.

I agree with done.

I am not saying that Payne will be 100%, but he will be a quality starter who will be a big contributor in 2004. RB's, WR's, and DB's usually take two years to fully recover from ACL injuries because they need to make cuts going at full speed. The stress a lineman puts on his knee is a little different, and the effect isn't as noticeable or dramatic for linemen, especially for run-stuffers as opposed to outside pass rushers.

If Payne isn't getting double teamed, it will more likely be due to teams fearing Walker and Smith than due to Payne's knee.

-- TE Bennie Joppru has looked sharp during early workouts after missing his entire rookie season with a groin injury. Joppru, who is considered the Texans' best receiving/blocking option at tight end, is expected to compete for playing time with Billy Miller and Mark Bruener.

Wow, I knew this cat was supposed to be good...but to be a rookie and be our "best receiving/blocking option at TE??? Especially with the addition of Bruener...this kid is going to be something else...hopefully he fullfills everyones expectations and can take millers job by mid season. Not that I have anything against miller other than the fact that he cant block and it tips of the defense on what we are going to do with him in.

sprtsfanatic said:

Wow, I knew this cat was supposed to be good...but to be a rookie and be our "best receiving/blocking option at TE??? Especially with the addition of Bruener...this kid is going to be something else...hopefully he fullfills everyones expectations and can take millers job by mid season. Not that I have anything against miller other than the fact that he cant block and it tips of the defense on what we are going to do with him in.

Well look who we have, Bruener(all blocking, basically no receiving) and Miller(all receiving, basically no blocking). Bennie has to be the best combonation tight end.

actually...didnt they say that bruener had above avg to excellent hands...but wasnt given many opportunities to catch the rock in Pitts. scheme of an offense??

sprtsfanatic said:
actually...didnt they say that bruener had above avg to excellent hands...but wasnt given many opportunities to catch the rock in Pitts. scheme of an offense??

As far as Ive heard hes one of the NFLs best blocking TEs and he has average to above average hands.

I would actually like to see us move Billy into an H-back type roll...he is pretty good at chipping LBs and assists, and there is no question about his hands. Just a thought.

Re: Seth Payne's Status

Coming Monday in the Chronicle:

The Long Road Back

Texans defensive lineman Seth Payne discusses his comeback from knee surgery.

I have to admit that you are correct. Billy is not the proto-TE by any stretch. He probably has better hands than any TE in the league except Gonzales or Sharpe...but that's probably not going to save him. If he could reshape some of his weight we might be a good slot receiver guy to go over the middle as a possesion guy. He is a good player and well liked by the team and fans...just tough to figure out where to go with him.

The only receiver that I thought should try the full blown switch to TE is maybe David "World's Biggest Guns" Boston...but he probably couldn't block to save his life either.

Back