Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sauce Gardner Rookie Season

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Not a hard follow, just like Justin Herbert, soft loosely tracked. However, since Texans choose to pass on Gardner to opt for Stingley its certainly worth keeping an eye on his progress as well.

He's shown up ready to go @ Camp, even bought Jersey #1 from teammate DJ Reed for 50,000, man of his word. So far so good, per CB Coach Tony Oden-

Oden said Gardner has been a sponge for information since arriving in New Jersey.

“One thing that stands out to me about him is his intelligence,” Oden said. “If you’re watching on film, you will see it. He’s smart. He’s hungry for knowledge. Just talking to him a few minutes ago about the summer, you can’t give him enough information. … There’s a lot of people you can give information and they can’t process it all. I’m still in the process of trying to find out how much he can handle, but the more I give him, he continues to want more.”

Gardner said learning the playbook has been “easy” for him. He said he now is learning how to take care of his body so he can play “forever.” He plans on staying in New Jersey after the team breaks minicamp this week to work out with the trainers in preparation for training camp at the end of July.

Back to the grabbing, handsy issue brought up so much as a negative habit, it is being addressed -

One area Gardner has been working on is making sure he is not grabbing wide receivers. Along those lines, Gardner wore what looked like large oven mittens during some drills this spring to prevent him from using his hands too much.

“I just always want to be great. I push myself. I did that in college,” Gardner said of the mittens. “I was talking about it with my coach and he was like, ‘Now that I think about it, I do have some gloves,’ so it just worked out.”

His mental approach, which really stood out to me early on in the scouting process watching various interviews -

Gardner said he is driven to be as close to perfect on the field as possible.

“As a corner, nobody’s perfect, but I still try to be perfect,” he said. “Even though I can’t be perfect, I try to be consistent. I don’t want it to be one time where I’m being technically sound and then one rep where I grab. I just try to be perfect even though there is no such thing.”

The Jets initially had Gardner working with the second team, but Reed has not been participating in recent practices for an undisclosed reason. That has led to Garnder getting more time with the starting defense, a place he figures to stay for a long time

“One thing that stands out to me about him is his intelligence,” Oden said. “If you’re watching on film, you will see it. He’s smart. He’s hungry for knowledge. Just talking to him a few minutes ago about the summer, you can’t give him enough information. … There’s a lot of people you can give information and they can’t process it all. I’m still in the process of trying to find out how much he can handle, but the more I give him, he continues to want more.”

Gardner said learning the playbook has been “easy” for him. He said he now is learning how to take care of his body so he can play “forever.” He plans on staying in New Jersey after the team breaks minicamp this week to work out with the trainers in preparation for training camp at the end of July.

Quote from Sauce -

"I feel like I got adjusted,” Gardner said. “I got used to the tempo of playing in the league. I feel like it’s going real well.”

Gardner has to face off against Diggs x2 and Hill/Waddle x2. If Mac Jones turns any of his Patriots WRs into something special Sauce is going to be playing in a tough division for his rookie contract. Certainly tougher than the schedule Stingley is slated to face in the AFC South.

Back