Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Griffin Arrested

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Probably was reading the writing on the wall and got really POed. Can't say I blame him, work most of your life to get where your at then boom, but dang man your making it easy for them to kick you to the curb by doing this. Bye, bye!
Plus he was not all that.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Rowdy white boy. If he's convicted SteelB will be pounding the table for Gaine to extend his contract.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Isn't it kind of odd for a fringe roster kind of guy to be hanging out at the site of his employers' big job hiring event?

Reactions: Max

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Statement from Houston Texans:

"We are aware of the incident regarding Ryan Griffin. We are gathering information and will have no further comment at this time."

Max

Veteran
One way he could have made it less traumatic would have been to go fishing for 3 days rather than ramp up the emotions by actually going to Nashville (bizarre in itself) and liquor himself up.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I have never been a Griffin fan. But rather than funny, I find it tragic to see what must be a very personally emotionally traumatic Draft event transformed into a self-inflicted public humiliation.
He got drunk at the draft and punched a window. What’s emotionally traumatic about that? Let’s not spin him into the victim.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He got drunk at the draft and punched a window. What’s emotionally traumatic about that? Let’s not spin him into the victim.
We see that totally different. The emotional trauma was that of seeing his previously secure career potentially taking a downspin. In no way condoning his aberrant self-inflicted response, only empathizing with the event that most likely sparked it.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
ya know he could have just showed up to ota and tc and balled so hard to try and not lose his spot ... to nobody ...ya know this team could run two Te schemes

anywho tho i think this team is set now on tight ends we got alot of them

TexansFight

Veteran
It’s pathetic that someone as mediocre as him has been on our roster since 2013. He is the longest tenured Texans other than Watt, Mercilus and Weeks. His blocking was embarrassing last year and couldn’t make catches when Deshaun threw him the ball. Get the hell out of Houston.

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
We see that totally different. The emotional trauma was that of seeing his previously secure career potentially taking a downspin. In no way condoning his aberrant self-inflicted response, only empathizing with the event that most likely sparked it.
Sports are one of the few fields of employment where the employers hire your replacement yearly, very publicly, regardless of your production or tenure. I know many individuals don’t have any sympathy for someone making hundreds of thousands or millions for a game. However, the job security and career longevity is minimal. Players’ bodies are used and abused for our / the owner’s enjoyment and then disposed of at the GM/Coach/Owner whims.

I am not defending Griffin as a talent/player and saying he deserves a roster spot for life. But, hypothetically, if you were a mechanic who worked hard and gave a garage your all, coming to work at 6 AM and working daily to better your craft and garage, and then you see a local TV advertisement of your garage manager hiring your replacement before he told you, knowing you were likely to lose your job in the near future and that happened in a very public manner, many of us mechanics would have very personal and very deep rooted responses and thoughts.

He shouldn’t have drown his hurt in alcohol, because that never leads to positive end results. But to see your dream career and source of income possibly or likely yanked from under you, very publicly, would traumatize a lot of us.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Almost every player out there has to deal with the fact that the team is constantly trying to replace them. It's a rough gig. But it takes a personality to succeed in the league that wants to beat the best and be the best. If the draft pick is really what set him off, that tells me a lot about the psyche involved, and I don't think he's the type of guy you'd want on your team anyway.

Remember how we all loved Charles James? It wasn't because he was the star of the backfield, or even a good player. He was a fringe guy, a marginal player. The football equivalent of a 4A player in baseball. But he had the right attitude. He knew he was scrapping for a job and he came at it with everything he had. Ryan Griffin could probably learn a thing or two from Charles James. Hell, we all could, TBH.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Sports are one of the few fields of employment where the employers hire your replacement yearly, very publicly, regardless of your production or tenure. I know many individuals don’t have any sympathy for someone making hundreds of thousands or millions for a game. However, the job security and career longevity is minimal. Players’ bodies are used and abused for our / the owner’s enjoyment and then disposed of at the GM/Coach/Owner whims.

I am not defending Griffin as a talent/player and saying he deserves a roster spot for life. But, hypothetically, if you were a mechanic who worked hard and gave a garage your all, coming to work at 6 AM and working daily to better your craft and garage, and then you see a local TV advertisement of your garage manager hiring your replacement before he told you, knowing you were likely to lose your job in the near future and that happened in a very public manner, many of us mechanics would have very personal and very deep rooted responses and thoughts.

He shouldn’t have drown his hurt in alcohol, because that never leads to positive end results. But to see your dream career and source of income possibly or likely yanked from under you, very publicly, would traumatize a lot of us.
All about being a professional. You can't be comfortable in your role as a professional athlete. Always have to carry that chip on your shoulder to earn your keep. Steve Smith's comments on Rosen are perfect and fit for Griffin as well. Your team drafted your replacement? Go compete and prove them wrong.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028312/article/steve-smith-rips-rosens-handling-of-murray-pick

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
All about being a professional. You can't be comfortable in your role as a professional athlete. Always have to carry that chip on your shoulder to earn your keep. Steve Smith's comments on Rosen are perfect and fit for Griffin as well. Your team drafted your replacement? Go compete and prove them wrong.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028312/article/steve-smith-rips-rosens-handling-of-murray-pick
I actually agree with you and Steve. Don’t pout and don’t throw temper tantrums, always compete until the bitter end.

But I also work in player representation. Some of these guys don’t see a life after football. Football is their entire story. The mental side of athletes shouldn’t be forgotten. They are a human with emotions. The mental aspect of athletes in everyday life can’t be minimized.

PapaL

Loose Screw
You don’t even know if had to do with his replacement. He was celebrating a former teammates bday. Two TEs drafted last year would have been more of a reason to act a fool.

Why does this guy get an apparent pass but every other player doesn’t? He screwed up. Live w the consequences. He’s not a rookie. He’s had plenty of chances. He’s not the victim here.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He was probably thinking it sucks they let Blue go even though he possessed some pretty damning photos, but he was safe because he had graphic video.

Now it's obvious someone found the video & got rid of it.

Max

Veteran

If a mechanic can't keep an airplane in the sky or a car on the road then I'm rooting for his ass to get canned and feeling sorry that he had to go through that process is a separate issue. Yes, athletes should be afforded the same empathy as other humans but not more. And it's also possible to feel empathy for his situation and to not empathize with the additional humiliation he brought on himself because of his farcical behavior. We're talking about him because he punched a window, not because he's going through a tough situation.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I think we have all done just as bad, or worse. How many of us got drunk at the company Christmas party and done something stupid? This just makes it easier to get rid of him. Thanks for the few memories, Ryan.

He got complacent. He should have known when we took 2 TE's last draft that they were trying to find ways to improve the position.

He should have bulked up and tried to improve his hands.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He got complacent. He should have known when we took 2 TE's last draft that they were trying to find ways to improve the position.

He should have bulked up and tried to improve his hands.
Last draft was not the same threat. We all knew that O'Brien always wanted 3 TEs for 3 TE sets. Fiedorowicz retired prior to the 2018 Draft and it was evident that Anderson was not going to be here.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Griff must have known he was history when they drafted Warring. The latter looks like an awesome receiver, but nothing is being said about his blocking. I want my TE to block well, both for the run and pass protection, as well as catch the ball. I know, he can't be a worse blocker than Griff.