Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Russell Wilson traded to Denver

Russell Wilson going to Denver. Details not known, but multiple 1st's and additional picks plus players. This will help set the trade value for Watson.

Why does the Watson rumor page send me to the Wilson trade page?
Dunno

I moved the first Wilson trade posts into the NFL random thought thread. Then saw there was a Wilson trade thread. So I moved them there.

Maybe the space time continuum was affected & you got caught up with it

We do know one player who is reportedly heading to Seattle: backup QB Drew Lock. According to Pelissero, he was informed on Tuesday afternoon that he's part of the Wilson trade, as was defensive end Shelby Harris and tight end Noah Fant. As far as the picks, quite a few are reportedly headed to Seattle: Two first-round picks, two second-round picks, and a fifth-round pick, while a fourth-round pick is headed to Denver along with Wilson.

Because the Texans currently own #3 & I don’t give a ratsas about the Jets
Typically, teams trade up to keep the team with the draft spot below from drafting the player they like. The Jets draft below the Texans and are unlikely to draft a QB. I doubt the Seahawks would need to move from #9, anyway.

Typically, teams trade up to keep the team with the draft spot below from drafting the player they like. The Jets draft below the Texans and are unlikely to draft a QB. I doubt the Seahawks would need to move from #9, anyway.
Panthers seem to be locked in at number six on Pickett while Matt Corral may interest Seattle at 9.

Maybe Seattle's gain will be DW4's ticket out of Houston. Certainly puts Seahawks at the head of the class. #9, #40 in 2022; 1st and 2nd RDs in 2023, add in 1st and 3rd in 2024 and you could have a deal. Hard to see Seattle competing against Rams, 49ers, Cards without DW4.

Reported trade details.

2 1sts, 2 2nds + players
If the Texans made this trade, you wouldn’t be happy with Fant & Harris?

I know I’m in the minority, but I’d like Drew Lock to back up Mills

Hopefully the Seahawks target the #3 overall to replace him

If they move up for a QB it would be the Giants pick at 5 they'd likely need to target because Carolina could possibly draft QB. Maybe target the Jets pick at 4 if the Giants are bluffing about sticking with Jones. They'd have no need to go to 3.

If they move up for a QB it would be the Giants pick at 5 they'd likely need to target because Carolina could possibly draft QB. Maybe target the Jets pick at 4 if the Giants are bluffing about sticking with Jones. They'd have no need to go to 3.
Seattle would have to wait to ensure that someone like Washington or Panthers don't move to 3 to get QB. Everything I see has Giants taking Ekwonu at #5 and I don't see them giving that up. Seattle could trade for #7 and hope Panthers go OT rather than QB.
* Of note Drafttek is showing Seattle has 9, 40, 41 and Denver's 64 which was not part of deal as I read.

Maybe Seattle's gain will be DW4's ticket out of Houston. Certainly puts Seahawks at the head of the class. #9, #40 in 2022; 1st and 2nd RDs in 2023, add in 1st and 3rd in 2024 and you could have a deal. Hard to see Seattle competing against Rams, 49ers, Cards without DW4.

I could see this. But Derrick's going to have to get past his legal issues and I dont see this happening before the draft. Maybe Caserio trades Derrick for 2023/2024 picks with a caveat that the trade happens if Derrick doesn't end up in the slammer.

They should've fired Carroll who is a bad coach minus Wilson. They gave up 2 first rd picks for a box safety. They've also had bad drafts over the last 7 years.

I thought Russell Wilson was surely out.

But no...

At the conclusion of the 2023 season, there were rumors circulating about the Broncos considering parting ways with Wilson. However, recent reports indicate they are inclined to give him another chance this year.

With this in mind, Sean Payton is making every effort to facilitate Wilson’s improvement. The head coach is reshuffling his coaching staff and has recently enlisted a former Saints member for this specific task.

According to The Times-Picayune, Pete Carmichael Jr. is set to join the Broncos for the 2024 season. Notably, he served as the offensive coordinator for Payton during the Saints’ Super Bowl XLIV victory with Drew Brees as their quarterback.

Russell Wilson
Why the Broncos move on: When Denver coach Sean Payton benched Wilson with two games remaining in the season, he signaled a move toward a divorce from the 35-year-old quarterback and that five-year, $245 million extension signed in 2022. And while Payton and general manager George Paton have both left the door ajar on Wilson's return, the Broncos are more likely to take an $85 million dead money hit over the next two years and reset at the position. -- Jeff Legwold, Broncos reporter

Last edited:
Pittsburgh has zilch at QB. Wilson is an improvement over that, and I think Tomlin would use Wilson better. Whatever else the Steelers do, they do need to get a new QB.

I agree Steelers need a QB but a big part of Wilson's issues in Denver weren't coaching or scheme it was Wilson. In a lot of games he just didn't play very well and made some throws he should have known better than to throw. You add the fact he is on the back end of his career and that Denver is going to need help from any trade partner dealing with that massive contract and I just don't see teams biting. But then teams have done stupid things to get a QB before, looking at you Cleveland, so I could be wrong.

I agree Steelers need a QB but a big part of Wilson's issues in Denver weren't coaching or scheme it was Wilson. In a lot of games he just didn't play very well and made some throws he should have known better than to throw. You add the fact he is on the back end of his career and that Denver is going to need help from any trade partner dealing with that massive contract and I just don't see teams biting. But then teams have done stupid things to get a QB before, looking at you Cleveland, so I could be wrong.

Should the Texans be the nice guys they are and ship Davis Mills to the Steelers? Keenum yielded a RD7…..maybe Mills returns a RD7 as well.

I wonder what the Broncos will have to pony up in a trade to get a team to take that contract? If i’m the Titans, I’d take Wilson for a first or two…

I wonder what the Broncos will have to pony up in a trade to get a team to take that contract? If i’m the Titans, I’d take Wilson for a first or two…
Titans won't trade for him. I'm sure Denver would have to pay a goodly chunk of his salary if they could find a taker

It would be an Osweiler trade. The team trades for the contract in exchange for draft picks.

Bronco's traded away so much for Wilson that they haven't been able to fill other needs to improve the team and they have a ton of needs. Doesn't help that as of this post they are 23 million in the hole on the salary cap so they already are going to have to make some hard choices or really sell reworking a contract to several players. Frankly last year they tried to do a repeat of their 2015 run with Manning where they went all in on one year. Trouble is they didn't have the superbowl winning defense that the 2015 team had and, frankly, Wilson is no Manning. Manning knew he couldn't make the big plays all the time like he use to so he adjusted his game to protecting the ball and extending drives so the defense could rest. Wilson was still trying to play like he had the legion of boom on defense and Lynch and Tate on offense.

Reactions: JB
It would be an Osweiler trade. The team trades for the contract in exchange for draft picks.
I don't know about that, he's a serviceable QB, probably about average among starters in the NFL. I doubt the Broncos would much for him, but they might be able to dump him for some late round pick exchanges to save money. 1 year of 17m, and then a year at 37m isn't that terrible of a deal given how much QB prices have exploded. Plus if the new team really likes him, they could work a deal to smooth out that 37m and add another year to it. The Broncos take the big hit due to signing and option bonuses, which is how that 85 million deadcap triggers on their books. I think the team getting him is only on the hook for 2024 and 25 salary.

Reactions: JB
Back