Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Rumor] Bill Parcells interested in...

PockyAF

Waterboy
coming to the Texans as Team President/GM?

Heard this on 1560 (couldn't tell if it was Lance or the other host). Came from a the host's friend that had a friend with inside info; the friend's friend work for the Dolphins org. (didn't catch what she does though).

Said he wants to come here and run the team, and have Maurice Carthon (Thanks to cdastros) as our HC.

Sounds a bit sketchy, but, according to the host, she was correct before on a recent firing before it hit the mainstream (again didn't catch who it was, I'm on a crappy wifi connection).

Again, I apologize for not getting all the info, and sounding a bit cryptic, but the internet I'm using is all jacked up. Anyways, if anyone else caught this, please fill in the blank. I would like to know who this Maurice follow is.

Heard this on 1560 (couldn't tell if it was Lance or the other host). Came from a the host's friend that had a friend with inside info; the friend's friend work for the Dolphins org. (didn't catch what she does though).

Said he wants to come here and run the team, and have Maurice someone (didn't catch who) as our HC.

Sounds a bit sketchy, but, according to the host, she was correct before on a recent firing before it hit the mainstream (again didn't catch who it was, I'm on a crappy wifi connection).

Again, I apologize for not getting all the info, and sounding a bit cryptic, but the internet I'm using is all jacked up. Anyways, if anyone else caught this, please fill in the blank. I would like to know who this Maurice follow is.

Best move this franchise could make.

Said he wants to come here and run the team, and have Maurice someone (didn't catch who) as our HC.

Maurice Carthon?

I heard that this morning too. Can't put too much into a rumor like that, but I would take that combo in a heartbeat over the current dynamic duo FWIW.

I heard that this morning too. Can't put too much into a rumor like that, but I would take that combo in a heartbeat over the current dynamic duo FWIW.

Smith and Kubiack aren't qualified to Manage/Coach a High School Class A Team.

Dug some info on the dude:

wiki said:
Maurice Carthon resigned as Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator on October 24, 2006 after Cleveland managed only seven points against the Denver Broncos. Under Carthon, the Browns had managed a league-low 232 points in 2005 and had only scored 88 points through six games in 2006. Carthon was the third NFL offensive coordinator to be fired during the 2006 season. Fans-obviously fed up with Carthon-started the "Mo's Gotta Go" movement in October 2006. A website www.firemauricecarthon.com was created to express some fans' displeasure.

In early 2008, reports surfaced about a potential reuniting of Carthon and old coach Bill Parcells in Miami. Carthon would not be a candidate for the Miami Dolphins head coaching vacancy, but rather a candidate for offensive coordinator.

Carthon been known as a "Parcells Guy", following his former coach from coaching place to place. He has coached under Parcells for the New England Patriots, the New York Jets and, most recently, the Dallas Cowboys.

On Feb 19, 2009 the Kansas City Chiefs announced that the club has added Carthon to head coach Todd Haley’s coaching staff. Carthon will serve as assistant head coach.

His recent failure as OC in Cleveland is discouraging ("Mo's Gotta Go" movement? wish our fans were that dedicated and came up with clever phrase linked to displeasure with the team's staff), however the fact that Parcells like the guy enough to let him follow him from one coaching destinations to another is something to be encouraged about. It means two things: One, Bill must see something special in him to mentor him. Two, after years and years of knowing the guy, if Parcells would offer him a HC gig, than he must feel that he's ready to be a leader of a NFL team.

Here's a entire coaching tree of Parcells that went on to become a NFL HC, and what their position they coached while under Parcells:

Ray Handley - Offense
NYG 13-3 (Playoffs, Superbowl Champs)
6-10

19-13 (Fired due to verbal darts to media/players?)

Chris Palmer
- Offense
CLE 5-27 (The Suck)

Al Groh - Defense
NYJ 9-7 (Resign after one successful to serve as HC at Virgina, ala mata)

Romeo Crennel
- Defense
CLE 6-10
4-12
10-6
4-12

24-40

Todd Haley
- Offense
KC 4-12
10-5*

14-17

Eric Mangina - Offense
NYJ 10-6 (Playoffs)
4-12
9-7

CLE 5-11
5-7*

28-36

Tony Morono - Offense
MIA 11-5 (playoffs)
7-9
7-7*

25-21

Sean Payton - Offense
NO 10-6 (Playoffs)
7-9
8-8
13-3 (Superbowl Champ)
10-4*

48-30

Tom Coughlin - Offense
JAC 4-12
9-7
11-5
11-5
14-2
7-9
6-10
6-10

NYG 6-10
11-5
8-8
10-6 (Superbowl Champ)
12-4
8-8
9-6*

132-107

Bill Belicik - Defense
CLE 6-10
7-9
7-9
11-5
5-11

NE 5-11
11-5 (Superbowl Champ)
9-7
14-2 (Superbowl Champ)
14-2 (Superbowl Champ)
10-6
12-4
16-0
11-5
10-6
13-2*

161-94

Parcells previous assistant's accumulated records: 465-392

It looks like his offensive guys did real well in their first seasons, and had their team achieving a winning/playoffs season in their first or second year in their team.

What scares me about this rumor is that Maurice is going to be a first-timer at HC, which historically shown (as a Parcells offspring) that it won't end well. We need stability and success to fuse together for once; we can't keep hiring a coach just to fire him 4, or so, years later; even if one of those coach went to the playoffs once out of that 4/5 years.

That's why I'm hoping Cowher is the next guy at the throne. He's the guy that gives us the best chance at having stability in the FO, as well as giving us wins, playoffs appearance, and making us contenders.

*Oh, and if you don't know who's been Cowher's QB during his tenure as the Steelers HC, you guys should go check it out. After that, imagine what he could accomplish with Schaub and this offense.

Is anyone else concerned that there's a pretty easy case to be made that the results Parcells has gotten as HC and/or the top front office guy have clearly declined at every single place he's been when compared to the previous stop? Once is a fluke, twice is a trend, and I don't know exactly what four times is. Do we really want to be the next stop on the "Bill Parcells declining performance tour"?

I kinda agree with Champion. I'm not really diggin on bringing Parcells in here. I think a lot of the game has passed him by and he's never really been a long term kinda guy since leaving the Giants. Can we depend on Parcells? I don't think so

In the end, I think we're going to be stuck with Kubiak for next season anyway.

Never been a fan of Parcells, but do believe he could get us to the playoffs in the next two years. However, I believe whoever comes in will be able to achieve that in short order.

I hate cronies, smell like cabbage.

Is anyone else concerned that there's a pretty easy case to be made that the results Parcells has gotten as HC and/or the top front office guy have clearly declined at every single place he's been when compared to the previous stop? Once is a fluke, twice is a trend, and I don't know exactly what four times is. Do we really want to be the next stop on the "Bill Parcells declining performance tour"?

I was thinking the same thing. Both Dallas and Miami were both underwhelming stops.

This should bother you on a contemporary basis:

Posted: December 27
Updated: Today at 12:40 AM

Bill Parcells is a myth not a legend OPINION Dave Hyde

It’s no secret, I guess, that Bill Parcells failed here. Except that when you channel surf these days, there’s a Parcells documentary on ESPN that doesn’t mention his Dolphins years, and another on the NFL Network that does so only in passing.

“I still like this game for some reason,” Parcells says from his golf cart at practice one day last spring to General Manager Jeff Ireland.

“Yeah, you do, it’s obvious,” Ireland says.

“I don’t know why, but I do,” he says.

That’s about the extent shown of Parcells’ time with the Dolphins. Nothing about how other front offices outflanked him. Nothing about his outdated blueprint for roster building or even a human touch on the difficulty of repeating greatness.

There’s certainly nothing about Parcells watching from afar Sunday as his former partners, Ireland and Tony Sparano, twist in the headlines to see if they get a thumbs up or thumbscrews from Dolphins owner Steve Ross.

Parcells, in this context, isn’t a legend. He’s a myth. That struck me again as I rewatched these documentaries. And myths are difficult to address when the facts say something else.

People believe the image that Parcells wins everywhere because that’s what the brand says. Except, of course, he has not won everywhere. The truth is he has not won anywhere in any significant manner in more than a decade.

Including his final year with the Jets in 1998, he has won one fewer playoff game than Jimmy Johnson. Johnson, as Dolphins fans know, left the stage after the 1999 season in tears and with the hangdog label of a failure.

Parcells’ failure, it turns out, is both more muted and more pronounced than all his Dolphins predecessors. It’s not that he strangely walked away five days before this season. It’s that his era got more disappointing with each successive season.

We can argue whether tackle Jake Long should have been taken over quarterback Matt Ryan with the top pick.

Atlanta got Ryan. Baltimore made a bold trade up for Joe Flacco. Those teams are playoff-bound. Parcells (and Ireland and Sparano) took two linemen with their first two picks, just as their big-and-bold blueprint ordains.

Good people have come and gone over the past decade because of Dolphins quarterbacks. If that happens again, so be it. Ireland and Sparano are big boys. They knew the risk by not taking any risk at quarterback. They’ve also fired a lot people they brought in themselves.

Let’s be fair. Parcells gave everything he had here. Most people inside the Dolphins liked and respected him. Maybe fans could have, too, if he hadn’t pulled a Garbo by not talking publicly for three years.

But you are what your record says you are, as he famously said once. That quote runs in the documentaries about him somewhere around the time he’s doused with Gatorade on a Super Bowl sideline.

That last celebration is a long way from 2010, a long way from the Dolphins against Detroit on Sunday, a long way from where his team now stands.

And yes, it’s still his team. His people. His creation. Dolphins fans won’t forget, even if the Parcells myth does.

I was thinking the same thing. Both Dallas and Miami were both underwhelming stops.

Dallas was a success considering what they started out with when he got there. Then again, consider who the owner is.

Miami was a great turnaround, but it looks to me like they have a fractured front office nowadays. I can't help but think the ownership screwed that up too.

I'd take Parcells in a heartbeat over what we have now. Even if he is just a rental.

Dallas was a success considering what they started out with when he got there. Then again, consider who the owner is.

Miami was a great turnaround, but it looks to me like they have a fractured front office nowadays. I can't help but think the ownership screwed that up too.

I'd take Parcells in a heartbeat over what we have now. Even if he is just a rental.

I'd prefer to not take the chance on guessing whether this is true or not.

Said he wants to come here and run the team, and have Maurice Carthon (Thanks to cdastros) as our HC.

Best news (rumor) I've heard in a long while.

This I could go for. I could even see Parcells grooming Rick Smith (if Parcells thinks he is worth a darn) like he did the guy he left in Miami.

I am probably the biggest Parcells fan on this board. However at this point I don't know if I could get excited about this. Since the Giants, Parcells has been infamous for just walking away on a whim with everyone else.

How many teams has he had on the brink and then just walked away? Jets and Pats for sure. I don't blame him for the Cowboys because of whom he was working for.

Now let's put this into perspective. The rumor is he would be coming in as GM not coach. He has only done that once before and that did not turn out well for whatever reason.

As for Maurice Carthon? Meh. I loved the guy as a player but honestly I know little about him as a coach.

All of that being said I do love the Giants connection though.

I disagree - Miami's ended up a big failure. Not only the fact that they're going to finish their second non-playoff year (and possibly second sub .500 season) this Sunday, but the Parcell's legacy in Miami will be forgoing Matt Ryan in order to draft Jake Long. In his time there, they drafted Chad Henne, Pat White, and signed Chad Pennington as a FA. They are now headed into next season with a middle of the pack 1st round pick, and no QB of the future (or the present).

Let's just say if Parcells came here and essentially duplicated his Miami performance, very few Texan fans would be satisfied with his tenure.

Bad move IMO just look at the state of the Miami Dolphins where parcells was running the team it was complete disaster I think there are 3 coaches that the Texans should consider. The #1 coach should be Tony Dungy he knows the AFC South and has been a winner over the division for years. The #2 coach would be John Gruden he has taken two franchises to the playoffs with the Bucs & Raiders and he is a superbowl champ as well. The #3 coach would be Bill Cowher who is a proven winner and the only reason why he is the 3rd coach because he would come in change to the 3-4 defense that could take some time to get the right players for that system so that is why I went with the other 2 coaches first.

Bad move IMO just look at the state of the Miami Dolphins where parcells was running the team it was complete disaster I think there are 3 coaches that the Texans should consider. The #1 coach should be Tony Dungy he knows the AFC South and has been a winner over the division for years. The #2 coach would be John Gruden he has taken two franchises to the playoffs with the Bucs & Raiders and he is a superbowl champ as well. The #3 coach would be Bill Cowher who is a proven winner and the only reason why he is the 3rd coach because he would come in change to the 3-4 defense that could take some time to get the right players for that system so that is why I went with the other 2 coaches first.

I don't know that anyone wants Parcells to be the coach.

I want someone in the FO with the ability to say "It's time to bring in Dungy" or Cable or Morris or Harbaugh or Ryan. Or someone who can say it's time to say goodbye to Crennell, or Lewis, or Shanahan. Someone who can say, "Caldwell is a good replacement" "Childress is out of his mind" or "Mangini is good for now."

McNair is 0-2 now, picking head coaches. He's 0-2 picking GMs. While Cowher or Gruden (or Dungy for that matter) may seem like a no brainer, with our luck, they may very well go the way of Gibbs in Washington, Johnson in Miami, or Gruden post Superbowl in Tampa Bay.

Right now, I'm not comfortable with the idea of McNair picking another Head Coach.

I'm definitely not comfortable with Rick Smith picking his first.

I don't know that anyone wants Parcells to be the coach.

I want someone in the FO with the ability to say "It's time to bring in Dungy" or Cable or Morris or Harbaugh or Ryan. Or someone who can say it's time to say goodbye to Crennell, or Lewis, or Shanahan. Someone who can say, "Caldwell is a good replacement" "Childress is out of his mind" or "Mangini is good for now."

McNair is 0-2 now, picking head coaches. He's 0-2 picking GMs. While Cowher or Gruden (or Dungy for that matter) may seem like a no brainer, with our luck, they may very well go the way of Gibbs in Washington, Johnson in Miami, or Gruden post Superbowl in Tampa Bay.

Right now, I'm not comfortable with the idea of McNair picking another Head Coach.

I'm definitely not comfortable with Rick Smith picking his first.

First of all, Parcells has zero track record in firing HC's. He's hired three (Bill Belichick, Al Groh, and Tony Sparano), and has at best a spotty track record at that. Chances are if he were to be brought on board with the Texans, he'd be gone before any decision would need to be made about firing the HC (and I'm not saying that using the premise that the HC hire would be so good he'd be here for years and years and years).

Señor Stan;1618805 said:
Maurice Carthon?

He was the Giants' linebacker on the original TECMO BOWL.

If he's as good a coach as he was a player, the Texans
just might have something.

I'd take Parcels in a heartbeat.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't think he's a terrible choice either...

Back