Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Roster question

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
Can you help me to better understand?
Teams are limited to 53 active players, right?

Are teams permitted to have additional players that aren't on the 53-man roster?

Approximately how many players will be competing for spots with the Texans this summer?

Thanks in advance.

Can you help me to better understand?
Teams are limited to 53 active players, right?

To my understanding, you can now have 55 men on the roster of which 48 are eligible to play.

Are teams permitted to have additional players that aren't on the 53-man roster?

There is also a "practice squad" of 16 players. These are players who have limited time in the league, although the rules have changed over the past few years so a lot more players are eligible now than just a few years ago.

When a player is on the practice squad, they practice with the team, but aren't eligible to play in games unless they get "activated" and moved up to the active roster a number of days before the game. (I'm not sure offhand of how long that is.) This is a way to stash players who are good but just need more work to develop.

When players are cut or waived, they can be re-signed to the practice squad if they meet the eligilibity requirements.

Players on a practice squad can be "activated" and signed to the active roster of ANY team in the league. So good players can be poached at any time.

Texan's Great Arian Foster started his rookie season on the practice squad and wasn't activated until the end of the season. It can be a way to develop raw players. Steeler Great James Harrison spent a couple of seasons on the practice squad before he blossomed and became a monster.

You can also put a player to the injured reserve. If you put a player on the injured reserve, they don't count against your active roster. They're still on your team and you're still paying them, but they don't play or practice. It used to be that when you went on reserve, you were out for the rest of the year, but there have been recent rule changes that allow players to be brought back onto the active roster from injured reserve in certain cases.

Approximately how many players will be competing for spots with the Texans this summer?

If I remember correctly, and if they haven't changed it, training camp would start with up to 90 players. During the pre-season, there used to be multiple cut-downs, but I think they've changed that so that there's only one cut down (maybe two) to get down to 53.

53 on active roster, 46 active on game day. Practice squad is 16 players (some limitations who can be stashed # games in season=9 etc). Four players can be protected each week, so they can’t be signed by another team off the practice squad. Any unprotected player may be signed to a 53 man roster at any time

Any unprotected player may be signed to a 53 man roster at any time
Yes, but if player is signed off a practice squad he must be kept on active roster the rest of the year unless injured, if not he has to be returned to team he was signed for. I think it's still that way. A player has to be activated 24 hours before he plays I believe

To my understanding, you can now have 55 men on the roster of which 48 are eligible to play.

There is also a "practice squad" of 16 players. These are players who have limited time in the league, although the rules have changed over the past few years so a lot more players are eligible now than just a few years ago.

When a player is on the practice squad, they practice with the team, but aren't eligible to play in games unless they get "activated" and moved up to the active roster a number of days before the game. (I'm not sure offhand of how long that is.) This is a way to stash players who are good but just need more work to develop.

When players are cut or waived, they can be re-signed to the practice squad if they meet the eligilibity requirements.

Players on a practice squad can be "activated" and signed to the active roster of ANY team in the league. So good players can be poached at any time.

Texan's Great Arian Foster started his rookie season on the practice squad and wasn't activated until the end of the season. It can be a way to develop raw players. Steeler Great James Harrison spent a couple of seasons on the practice squad before he blossomed and became a monster.

You can also put a player to the injured reserve. If you put a player on the injured reserve, they don't count against your active roster. They're still on your team and you're still paying them, but they don't play or practice. It used to be that when you went on reserve, you were out for the rest of the year, but there have been recent rule changes that allow players to be brought back onto the active roster from injured reserve in certain cases.

If I remember correctly, and if they haven't changed it, training camp would start with up to 90 players. During the pre-season, there used to be multiple cut-downs, but I think they've changed that so that there's only one cut down (maybe two) to get down to 53.

Wow! Thank you so much!

Here are some of the practice squad rules for the 2022 season. As far as i can tell they are still in effect for 2023.

Practice squad numbers:

Practice squads are now set at 16 players. Another note to mention is that only six of the 16 players are allowed to have had an unlimited number of accrued seasons.

Practice squad protected players:

Teams also have four "protected" practice squad slots.
Considering that any NFL team may sign players from other teams’ practice squads, these protected slots are quite important. The four protected players are selected on a weekly basis and can change.

Practice squad elevation:

Players on the practice squad can be elevated for single games throughout the regular season or postseason without being subject to the waiver wire in order to revert back to the practice squad the following business day. Each player can be elevated at maximum of three times under this provision. When a player is elevated, they receive the minimum pay for a player with their number of credited seasons. Teams can elevate as many as two players from the practice squad each week under the standard elevation rules.

After a player has three elevations, they must be added to the 53-man roster in order to be eligible to play on game day. If the player is to return to the practice squad, they must pass through waivers. One interesting item is that according to NFL.com, if the player passes through waivers they are eligible to be elevated for three more games:

Here are some of the practice squad rules for the 2022 season. As far as i can tell they are still in effect for 2023.

Practice squad numbers:

Practice squads are now set at 16 players. Another note to mention is that only six of the 16 players are allowed to have had an unlimited number of accrued seasons.

Considering that any NFL team may sign players from other teams’ practice squads, these protected slots are quite important. The four protected players are selected on a weekly basis and can change.

Players on the practice squad can be elevated for single games throughout the regular season or postseason without being subject to the waiver wire in order to revert back to the practice squad the following business day. Each player can be elevated at maximum of three times under this provision. When a player is elevated, they receive the minimum pay for a player with their number of credited seasons. Teams can elevate as many as two players from the practice squad each week under the standard elevation rules.

After a player has three elevations, they must be added to the 53-man roster in order to be eligible to play on game day. If the player is to return to the practice squad, they must pass through waivers. One interesting item is that according to NFL.com, if the player passes through waivers they are eligible to be elevated for three more games:

Thanks, man.

Good stuff.

Practice squad numbers:

Thanks

The knowledge here is what makes this mb worth dealing with a few a holes.

BTW, is the 3rd QB in addition
to the GameDay 48. I know that the 3rd QB can't play unless the other 2 QB get hurt and they can't comeback into the game once the 3rd QB enters the game.

BTW, is the 3rd QB in addition to the GameDay 48. I know that the 3rd QB can't play unless the other 2 QB get hurt and they can't comeback into the game once the 3rd QB enters the game.
3rd QB Rule:

Teams who are carrying two quarterbacks on their active roster on game day may carry a third, emergency quarterback (from the 53-man roster) who does not count against the team's game day roster.

The emergency QB will not be allowed into the game unless the two active quarterbacks are injured or disqualified from the game

The emergency quarterback must be removed from the game if either quarterback is medically cleared to return to play.

Teams that choose to have three quarterbacks on their active roster on game day may not utilize an emergency quarterback.

Edit. As far as I can tell the 3rd QB has to come from the 53-man roster & not from the practice squad.

Last edited:
I saw 55 man roster and 48 active players as opposed to the 53 man roster and 46 active players on Wikipedia and thought that was one of the new rule changes, but other sources still say 53/46.

So I think my earlier post was wrong on those size changes.

I saw 55 man roster and 48 active players as opposed to the 53 man roster and 46 active players on Wikipedia and thought that was one of the new rule changes, but other sources still say 53/46.

So I think my earlier post was wrong on those size changes.

Back