Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Roster Cuts using the practice squad

beerlover

Hall of Fame
From what I understood listening to the post game show is that players who fail to make the 53 man roster cut can be placed on the practice squad up to a max of 8. However those left on the practice squad can be claimed at any time by any team wanting them, so I'm wondering just how wise of practice this is and how do you work around it, any thoughts? idonno:

the catch there is that signed practice squad players must be made a part of the active roster. So generally players who are clearly 'not ready yet' or are getting over senior/junior year injuries are fairly safe.

Well, if they are not one of the top 53 players, you have a chance to keep them and let them learn your system. However, they aren't getting paid very much to be on the practice squad. I don't know how much they get, but it is less than the league minimum. So to be fair to the player if there is another NFL team that would want to sign them to their 53 man roster they are allowed to leave and get paid more.

hook'em07carter said:
I did hear a scout from the pats was there looking for scout players

They're looking for players that might not make the cut here that the Pats can put on their practice squad. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few other NFL team scouts there also. I believe that you cut the players who won't be on the 53 man roster, and then the entire NFL can sign any of the players you cut to their practice squad. The players that clear you can sign back to your practice squad, and/or any players cut by other teams.

texasguy346 said:
They're looking for players that might not make the cut here that the Pats can put on their practice squad. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few other NFL team scouts there also. I believe that you cut the players who won't be on the 53 man roster, and then the entire NFL can sign any of the players you cut to their practice squad. The players that clear you can sign back to your practice squad, and/or any players cut by other teams.
The problem with signing other teams players to your practice squad is they haven't had practice time with your team. One of the values of a practice squad player is that he has been through mini-camp and training camp with you ... he knows the system and the personalities of your organization. He can help the next morning as a practice player. You'd really have to feel they were much better than the guys you drafted and you've been working with and yet in some case you passed on drafting them?

The teams all have about 90 players who are going through all this preparation now. If they have 52 roster players 'set' it seems like a real failure to me if they can't justify picking one more of the other 40 or so you worked with for months for that last spot on the roster.

Back