Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rookie recievers

J-Russ

Veteran
Which one do you think will contribute the most to their team for the season?

Right now my 4th receiver is Bobby Engram, and he's going to be out for 6-8 weeks. I'm planning on dropping him and picking up a receiver in FA. At first I was thinking about picking up Reggie Williams or James Jones, but then realize that rookie WR were not drafted in my league.

I'm looking at DeSean Jackson and James Hardy right now, but Devin Thomas and Limas Sweed are available as well.

What should I do? Should I get a veteran receiver or a rookie with the potential to contribute more?

EDIT: Letting you in on my situation. My other reciever is Brandon Marshall and he is also out for 2-3 games. So I need a receiver that can come in and help for that 3 weeks. Since Reggie Brown got hurt, maybe the eagles would start Jackson at the 2nd WR spot. I just a reciever to fill in for three weeks.

I'm also trying to trade B.Marshall/Colts DST for A.Johnson/Titans DST, that would solve my receiver problem and also give me a better option for DST.

Last edited:

Brandon420tx

Flounder
I'd go with James Hardy. The Bills have looked good in Preseason so far, especially their offense. DeSean Jackson is an ok option. The Eagles still don't have a typical goto receiver, but thats more likely because they have a very high spread the ball around offense.

Limas Sweed is the 4th best receiver for the steelers (right now), They're going to be developing him to take over for Hines Ward and I think Tomlin gives him a year to learn the offense before going full throttle with him. I forgot what team Devin Thomas is on, I haven't really heard any buzz on him.

JWarren14

Beer Me
DeSean Jackson...I was watching the Philly vs Carolina game the other night. It was weather delayed and sloppy, but Jackson played descent and more importantly played a lot. He seems to be a big part of their plans this season. He is great in open space and when you have Westbrook, McNabb, and Jackson thats a lot of people to account for. McNabb is mobile and Jackson/Westbrook can make a lot of people miss. I haven't heard much on Hardy, but I like him coming out of college. Sweed will have to fight for yards and TDs, at least early in the season. Holmes seems to be an up and coming young wideout (im scared to death of him come Sept. 7) Hines, is well Hines, they also have Washington, so Sweed may be the 4th on the depth. Then you throw in Heath and Spaeth the 2 TEs that can catch and make plays and its going to be tough for Sweed to gain production.

In order I would go:

Jackson
Sweed
E. Royal
Hardy

Good Luck!!!

J-Russ

Veteran
Thomas and Kelly is on the Skins team, and they are pretty deep at the WR position, so I haven't put much thought on picking them up.

I'm not real sure about Hardy though. I know the Bills plan on having him as #2 receiver and a big red-zone threat, but so right now he's only had one catch in the pre-season and have been nursing a injury as well. DeSean Jackson look real good in pre-season, but I think Reggie Brown is going to be back in time for the opener, so I'm sorta in a stump.

J-Russ

Veteran
DeSean Jackson...I was watching the Philly vs Carolina game the other night. It was weather delayed and sloppy, but Jackson played descent and more importantly played a lot. He seems to be a big part of their plans this season. He is great in open space and when you have Westbrook, McNabb, and Jackson thats a lot of people to account for. McNabb is mobile and Jackson/Westbrook can make a lot of people miss. I haven't heard much on Hardy, but I like him coming out of college. Sweed will have to fight for yards and TDs, at least early in the season. Holmes seems to be an up and coming young wideout (im scared to death of him come Sept. 7) Hines, is well Hines, they also have Washington, so Sweed may be the 4th on the depth. Then you throw in Heath and Spaeth the 2 TEs that can catch and make plays and its going to be tough for Sweed to gain production.

In order I would go:

Jackson
Sweed
E. Royal
Hardy

Good Luck!!!
Thanks for the report/advice.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Which one do you think will contribute the most to their team for the season?

Right now my 4th receiver is Bobby Engram, and he's going to be out for 6-8 weeks. I'm planning on dropping him and picking up a receiver in FA. At first I was thinking about picking up Reggie Williams or James Jones, but then realize that rookie WR were not drafted in my league.

I'm looking at DeSean Jackson and James Hardy right now, but Devin Thomas and Limas Sweed are available as well.

What should I do? Should I get a veteran receiver or a rookie with the potential to contribute more?

EDIT: Letting you in on my situation. My other reciever is Brandon Marshall and he is also out for 2-3 games. So I need a receiver that can come in and help for that 3 weeks. Since Reggie Brown got hurt, maybe the eagles would start Jackson at the 2nd WR spot. I just a reciever to fill in for three weeks.

I'm also trying to trade B.Marshall/Colts DST for A.Johnson/Titans DST, that would solve my receiver problem and also give me a better option for DST.
Eddie Royal is already the #2 WR for Denver and looking really good thus far. He'll be getting some balls thrown to him while Marshall is out for a few games. Cutler looks great so far this pre season.

I'd take Royal over all rookie WR's.

J-Russ

Veteran
Thanks for the heads up. I'm checking on him over at the broncos MB and they seem to be really high on this guy. Might be a good filler for that 3 weeks. Im gonna wait for another week before I make a decision.

Brandon420tx

Flounder
You might as well do it as soon as possible. If people make waiver wire moves, its gonna happen quick, and I doubt anyone takes Engram off the wire, at least not right away.

J-Russ

Veteran
Greg Jennings for Brandon Marshall. Would you do it?

Jennings had 12 TD and almost 1,000 on 13 games last year, but then again I don't think much of Rodgers so I don't think his production will be like it was last year.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Greg Jennings for Brandon Marshall. Would you do it?

Jennings had 12 TD and almost 1,000 on 13 games last year, but then again I don't think much of Rodgers so I don't think his production will be like it was last year.

I wouldn't do it. Jennings has a new QB, and there is no telling how good Rogers really will be. Plus, Driver is there, and other targets as well.

Marshall will be the bonafied #1 WR in Denver. I would look for a way to replace Marshall in those first two games. Plus, Cutler looks really good thus far.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
At first I was thinking about picking up Reggie Williams ...
I'd blow off the rookies and go with Williams. The Jags offseason pickups at WR have shown nothing but what they're famous for (Porter is injured and Williamson has hands of brick). Reggie should be the Jags #1 WR and get plenty of chances in the red zone.

Brandon420tx

Flounder

I wouldn't do it. Jennings has a new QB, and there is no telling how good Rogers really will be. Plus, Driver is there, and other targets as well.

Marshall will be the bonafied #1 WR in Denver. I would look for a way to replace Marshall in those first two games. Plus, Cutler looks really good thus far.
Oh, I thought he was trading Jennings to get Marshall.

J-Russ

Veteran

I'd blow off the rookies and go with Williams. The Jags offseason pickups at WR have shown nothing but what they're famous for (Porter is injured and Williamson has hands of brick). Reggie should be the Jags #1 WR and get plenty of chances in the red zone.
This looks like the way to go. Williams will contribute early on this season, I only need a WR for the first three weeks and can't trust rookies to contribute early on in the season.

Thanks for the advices.