Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

rmartin65's January Mock 2011

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
The change from a 4-3 D to a 3-4 D requires heavy personal change, especially considering that the Texans D was not even average to begin with. I would like to see the Texans be active in FA, bring in some NT help and some DB help, but I hate planning mocks on those things. Therefore, the following picks are with no FA acquisitions. Also, I hope to get a comp. pick, but that is not included. Following my mock draft (with pick explanations) I will list what my line-up would look like, with players currently on the Texans roster (and those I drafted). Let me hear (read) your thoughts!

1) Wisconsin DE JJ Watt, 6’6” 290 lbs

Whether Mario likes it or not, he is the quintessential 3-4 DE. Strong and fast, he could dominate from this position. On the other side, I am not so sure about Smith. He is a good player, but if I remember correctly, part of his motivation for leaving Arizona was the fact that they were switching to a 3-4, and he was worried he would not fit. Even if this is not the case, depth along the DL is incredibly important. Watt is good enough right now to start in a 3-4 D, or he could sit behind Mario and Smith and learn the tools of the trade. Watt is of comparable size to Mario, though admittedly he is not the athletic freak that Mario is. With Watt and Williams, the Texans could have their DE’s set for the next 10+ years, with both of them having the ability to both tie up blockers and wreak havoc in the backfield.

2) Hampton NT Kendrick Ellis, 6’5” 340 lbs

As we all know, a good NT is important to a 3-4 defense. It does not necessarily need to be a big run stuffer, but I feel that they work the best, if you can acquire one. Ellis is a first round talent playing at a FCS school. A mountain of a man, he was supposed to be hot stuff in the SEC before violating team rules and being kicked off of S. Carolina’s team. He is strong and quick, and has put his off the field transgressions behind him. I think he could be the next great NT in the NFL.

3) North Carolina FS Deaunta Williams, 6’1” 215 lbs

Here we get lucky that a player was injured during a bowl game (fractured leg). He should make a full recovery, but may not be able to work out before the draft. In my opinion, Williams is the best FS in the draft. Great size and athleticism, and is a true ballhawk that knows how to make plays on the ball, as he is a converted receiver. Williams would instantly be the best FS in the team, and could play next to either Pollard and cover up some of Pollard’s deficiencies in coverage, or Nolan and create a tandem of young, promising safeties (though I am still not sold on Nolan).

4) Nevada Rush OLB Dontay Moch, 6’1” 240 lbs

Another key part to a 3-4 D is the rush LB position, someone to be the Texans’ Ware or Mathews. Moch played DE at Nevada, and has reported 4.3 speed. I don’t like him in coverage, which is why I think he drops this far. He is Barwin insurance; the two will play the same position except for on passing downs, when I would put one on each side and see what happens!

5) Nebraska K/P/KP Alex Henery, 6’2” 175 lbs

Turk is old, and it is showing. We need a new punter, and while Henery is often thought of as a K, he averaged 43 yards per punt for Nebraska last season. Having Henery gives the Texans a backup K in case Rackers gets the yips (always possible for a kicker), or if Rackers gets injured being a boss on KO’, while not wasting a roster spot.

6) Southern Miss WR DeAndre Brown, 6’6” 240 lbs

Here is another case of a lucky injury (for the Texans). DeAndre Brown was a stud as a freshman, then had a gruesome injury, and has not been the same since. The ability is there though, you can still see it in spurts. Brown gives the Texans a true red zone presence at receiver (outside of AJ), and a big body to run the middle of the field. This allows us to get rid of Anderson, who I have finally realized is not contributing anything special to the team.

7) Wyoming FS/SS Chris Prosinski, 6’1” 210 lbs

I have been talking about this guy all year, so I am not writing much. He has solid measurable, and is a great tackler. He would be the backup FS and SS.

Starting Line-ups

Offense

QB: Schaub
RB: Foster
FB: Leach
WR: Johnson
WR: Walter/Jones
TE: Daniels
OT: Brown
OG: Smith (Wade)
OC: Myers
OG: Caldwell
OT: Winston

Defense

DE: Williams
NT: Ellis
DE: Watt/Smith
OLB: Barwin (Moch if Barwin is not healthy)
ILB: Cushing/Sharpton
ILB: Ryans
OLB: Adibi/Diles/Cushing
CB: Quin
FS: Williams
SS: Pollard/Nolan
CB: Allen

Special Teams

K: Rackers
KO: Rackers
P: Henery
KR: Holliday
PR: Holliday

Love your first pick! JJ Watt should be very high if not on top of Texans draft board.

I've only read about Ellis have you seen any tape of this guy? If he checks out, a very good move I would say.

Williams this late is crazy value addresses FS need.

Moch stock is rising, don't know if he'll still be here either?

Have no problem drafting a punter, don't know about this high? What is specialty, control, hang-time, avg.?

I'll have to research your WR. there are several I like to replace Jacoby/Walter my sights are a little higher than David Anderson.

Last pick could stick like Diles did in 7th.

Good Job rmartin65 :goodpost:

Great work!!

#1 - I like the pick, Watt and Mario would make a GREAT DE duo.

#2 - Ellis, I would love to get a NT in FA to start/compete plus a draft pick. I don't know the OLBs that may be available with our 2nd, but I would put that as a bigger priority if we can get a decent NT in FA. If Ellis is better though, take him.

#3 - I think Pollard is gone from the comments Kubiak made in his press conference. I like the upside of Nolan but I really don't like the idea of having a Rookie FS starting that's just coming off a fractured leg next to Nolan (or Pallard who can't cover)... with Allen and Quin as our starting CBs. I think we MUST get a veteran back there in the Secondary. Does Williams have the same injury Dunta did?

#4 - Good job on the rest but I'm unfamiliar with most of them.

Great work!!

#2 - Ellis, I would love to get a NT in FA to start/compete plus a draft pick. I don't know the OLBs that may be available with our 2nd, but I would put that as a bigger priority if we can get a decent NT in FA. If Ellis is better though, take him.

#3 - I think Pollard is gone from the comments Kubiak made in his press conference. I like the upside of Nolan but I really don't like the idea of having a Rookie FS starting that's just coming off a fractured leg next to Nolan (or Pallard who can't cover)... with Allen and Quin as our starting CBs. I think we MUST get a veteran back there in the Secondary. Does Williams have the same injury Dunta did?

FS Eric Weddle UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

The change from a 4-3 D to a 3-4 D requires heavy personal change, especially considering that the Texans D was not even average to begin with. I would like to see the Texans be active in FA, bring in some NT help and some DB help, but I hate planning mocks on those things. Therefore, the following picks are with no FA acquisitions. Also, I hope to get a comp. pick, but that is not included. Following my mock draft (with pick explanations) I will list what my line-up would look like, with players currently on the Texans roster (and those I drafted). Let me hear (read) your thoughts!

Whether Mario likes it or not, he is the quintessential 3-4 DE. Strong and fast, he could dominate from this position. On the other side, I am not so sure about Smith. He is a good player, but if I remember correctly, part of his motivation for leaving Arizona was the fact that they were switching to a 3-4, and he was worried he would not fit. Even if this is not the case, depth along the DL is incredibly important. Watt is good enough right now to start in a 3-4 D, or he could sit behind Mario and Smith and learn the tools of the trade. Watt is of comparable size to Mario, though admittedly he is not the athletic freak that Mario is. With Watt and Williams, the Texans could have their DE’s set for the next 10+ years, with both of them having the ability to both tie up blockers and wreak havoc in the backfield.

As we all know, a good NT is important to a 3-4 defense. It does not necessarily need to be a big run stuffer, but I feel that they work the best, if you can acquire one. Ellis is a first round talent playing at a FCS school. A mountain of a man, he was supposed to be hot stuff in the SEC before violating team rules and being kicked off of S. Carolina’s team. He is strong and quick, and has put his off the field transgressions behind him. I think he could be the next great NT in the NFL.

Here we get lucky that a player was injured during a bowl game (fractured leg). He should make a full recovery, but may not be able to work out before the draft. In my opinion, Williams is the best FS in the draft. Great size and athleticism, and is a true ballhawk that knows how to make plays on the ball, as he is a converted receiver. Williams would instantly be the best FS in the team, and could play next to either Pollard and cover up some of Pollard’s deficiencies in coverage, or Nolan and create a tandem of young, promising safeties (though I am still not sold on Nolan).

Another key part to a 3-4 D is the rush LB position, someone to be the Texans’ Ware or Mathews. Moch played DE at Nevada, and has reported 4.3 speed. I don’t like him in coverage, which is why I think he drops this far. He is Barwin insurance; the two will play the same position except for on passing downs, when I would put one on each side and see what happens!

Turk is old, and it is showing. We need a new punter, and while Henery is often thought of as a K, he averaged 43 yards per punt for Nebraska last season. Having Henery gives the Texans a backup K in case Rackers gets the yips (always possible for a kicker), or if Rackers gets injured being a boss on KO’, while not wasting a roster spot.

Here is another case of a lucky injury (for the Texans). DeAndre Brown was a stud as a freshman, then had a gruesome injury, and has not been the same since. The ability is there though, you can still see it in spurts. Brown gives the Texans a true red zone presence at receiver (outside of AJ), and a big body to run the middle of the field. This allows us to get rid of Anderson, who I have finally realized is not contributing anything special to the team.

I have been talking about this guy all year, so I am not writing much. He has solid measurable, and is a great tackler. He would be the backup FS and SS.

Starting Line-ups

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

I posted that I'd sign Eric Weddle as a FA . Based on that and to start conversation , I'll change yours a bit .

1. JJ Watts ... de
2. Kendrick Ellis ... ng
3. Dontay Moch ... olb
4. Brooks Reed ... olb ... Arizona
5. Alex Henery ... k/p
6. Edmund Gates ... wr ... Abilene Chrstian

I posted that I'd sign Eric Weddle as a FA . Based on that and to start conversation , I'll change yours a bit .

1. JJ Watts ... de
2. Kendrick Ellis ... ng
3. Dontay Moch ... olb
4. Brooks Reed ... olb ... Arizona
5. Alex Henery ... k/p
6. Edmund Gates ... wr ... Abilene Chrstian

like you first three. maybe switch Casey Matthews to 4th? go ILB instead of back to back OLB's. If Moch is off the board, maybe look @ Reed in 3rd team him up with Casey :dangit:

Love your first pick! JJ Watt should be very high if not on top of Texans draft board.

I've only read about Ellis have you seen any tape of this guy? If he checks out, a very good move I would say.

Williams this late is crazy value addresses FS need.

Moch stock is rising, don't know if he'll still be here either?

Have no problem drafting a punter, don't know about this high? What is specialty, control, hang-time, avg.?

I'll have to research your WR. there are several I like to replace Jacoby/Walter my sights are a little higher than David Anderson.

Last pick could stick like Diles did in 7th.

Good Job rmartin65 :goodpost:

Thank you for the kind words

Watt is one of those players that once you watch, you love what you see. I was lucky enough to catch a couple Wisconsin games (I am in Big 10 country), and he never had an off game. He is a lot like Kerrigan in that regard, but with more upside, and a better 3-4 frame.

I dont have any tape on Ellis, but I have seen some. The dude is better than his incredible stats show. I would have no qualms taking him in the bottom of the 1st round.

I worry about Moch's availability as well. He has great physical attributes, but he has a couple things going against him- He plays in the WAC, a rather weak conference, and did not dominate on the level his attributes would suggest. Unless he trains hard for the combine, I dont see him as a guy who can play well in space. Moch is a pass rusher, and would be a liability in coverage. With those things in mind, I think he drops. Maybe not this far, and I can definitely be wrong. This was the hardest pick for me, as I place a premium on my mocks being realistic.

Henery is a jack of all trades, kicking-wise. He is more known as a kicker, which is partially why I want him. Rackers is good, but will be 35 at the start of next season. I cant get you hang time, but 43.2 average, 26 inside the 20 (out of 69 punts) and only 5 Touch backs. His style is a little unorthodox, but it works.

Brown is a good project WR, I hope you do look him up.

Great work!!

Thank you

I posted before the mock that I would llike to see the Texans active in FA, pursuing a NT and a couple DBs. I just did not mock based off of anything, because I feel that it is to hard to predict.

Williams' injury is not the same as Robinson's. It is a fibula fracture at the ankle, that I believe did not hit any muscle. Perhaps CND could give us an insight?

1. JJ Watts
2. Kendrick Ellis
3. Dontay Moch
4. Brooks Reed
5. Alex Henery
6. to be continued ..........................

Weedle would be a good one. I think SD locks him up though.

like you first three. maybe switch Casey Matthews to 4th? go ILB instead of back to back OLB's. If Moch is off the board, maybe look @ Reed in 3rd team him up with Casey :dangit:

My thoughts are OLB in a 3/4 is a rare breed and they can hunt or they can't . They also make your defense as much as the NG and right now , we don't know what they've got .

To me you need guys that play heavy to be a good OLB . I'm not talking weight I'm talking power . One RB weighing 210 can run you over , the other RB weighing 210 can't . I'm going volume and I look at size , speed , and sack stats in college .

I do like Casey Mathews on name alone .

I think this is a bad draft . I usually surf and try to find guys who i think are sleepers and it's hard . I think I found one in the 6th . Last year I wanted the Texans to take Joe Webb and Deji Karim late .

My biggest worry about Ellis is his weight and that I hope he doesn't eat his way out of the league once he is drafted.

My biggest worry about Ellis is his weight and that I hope he doesn't eat his way out of the league once he is drafted.

He is a big guy, but he is football fat, ala Shaun Rogers or Ngata. He is not fat fat like Cody from Alabama last year.

Good draft. Watts may change to Von Miller (or whomever the hot conversion guy is) if the Texans sign Marcus Spears or Jason Hatcher from Dallas.

Great draft all around

Good draft. Watts may change to Von Miller (or whomever the hot conversion guy is) if the Texans sign Marcus Spears or Jason Hatcher from Dallas.

Great draft all around

Thanks for your thoughts.

I will say that I am vehemently opposed to Miller. There are not a lot of guys in the first that I will be pissed about (the luxury of picking so early), but Miller is one of them. I just dont think he has "IT" to succeed, its hard to explain.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I will say that I am vehemently opposed to Miller. There are not a lot of guys in the first that I will be pissed about (the luxury of picking so early), but Miller is one of them. I just dont think he has "IT" to succeed, its hard to explain.

Interesting. You think he may be similar to Aaron Maybin of Penn St./Bills??

Starting Line-ups

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Great Mock

I currently have Watt rated # 17 0n my draft board.

He moved up after seeing his relentless style against Cannon in the Rose bowl.

I currently have Miller going to the Texans at # 11. We disagree on his it factor. Miller had 2 good yrs at A&M. Maybin was a 1 yr wonder. Miller is also stronger/ bigger than Maybin.

Would be very happy with Watt at #11. He's a safer pick.

If Ellis is as good as you say he is a great pick in the 2nd rd.

Williams would be a great 3rd rd pick. If he's not there what do you think about taking Sash in the 3rd.

If Miller isn't taken in the 1st They should think about trading 2012 pick and the 5th RD pick to trade up to get Moch. if not they should pick Matthews and leave Cushing at OLB.

Henery would be a great pick.

I love the Brown pick if he's healthy, He would be a steal at this point. He has 1st rd talent.

Prosinski will be a great ST guy as he learns the pro game. He has more natural ability than Nolan/Barber.

Great Mock

I currently have Watt rated # 17 0n my draft board.

He moved up after seeing his relentless style against Cannon in the Rose bowl.

I currently have Miller going to the Texans at # 11. We disagree on his it factor. Miller had 2 good yrs at A&M. Maybin was a 1 yr wonder. Miller is also stronger/ bigger than Maybin.

Would be very happy with Watt at #11. He's a safer pick.

If Ellis is as good as you say he is a great pick in the 2nd rd.

Williams would be a great 3rd rd pick. If he's not there what do you think about taking Sash in the 3rd.

If Miller isn't taken in the 1st They should think about trading 2012 pick and the 5th RD pick to trade up to get Moch. if not they should pick Matthews and leave Cushing at OLB.

Henery would be a great pick.

I love the Brown pick if he's healthy, He would be a steal at this point. He has 1st rd talent.

Prosinski will be a great ST guy as he learns the pro game. He has more natural ability than Nolan/Barber.

Fair enough on Miller. There is a lot to like about him, but there is just something missing that I cant put my finger on. And I very readily admit that I could be wrong.

I would take Sash in the 3rd, has he declared? I do worry that he is not a true coverage FS, as I worry that he will be a little slow for FS in the NFL. We will have to see how he runs. Still, I would take him with out any real hesitation.

Where do you have Moch going? If he is not available, then I agree with your solution (drafting Mathews, not trading up).

I've got you Moch going in late rd 2 or early rd 3.

A team like the Pats in late rd.2 or Denver/Bills in early rd.3.

Moch is a rare talent. Big/Fast, he is worth the gamble at that point in the draft.

Perfect comparison. Looks good in college and at the combine/pro day, but just not NFL. Could be wrong though.
My thoughts on Miller also. As you & Beerlover may recall, I was pulling for Miller to come out early last year after a very high sack count. I watched him more closely this season & I'm just not confident in him. Sacks are important but his reminds me of Mario's in that he gets a decent amount but rarely do I see him as a monster doing game changing things.

My thoughts on Miller also. As you & Beerlover may recall, I was pulling for Miller to come out early last year after a very high sack count. I watched him more closely this season & I'm just not confident in him. Sacks are important but his reminds me of Mario's in that he gets a decent amount but rarely do I see him as a monster doing game changing things.

Check out the Oklahoma game this yr.

Or the Nebraska game.

I watched both but there is just something about Miller I can identify that says he will not be very good in NFL.

Back