Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

RJ's Column... You're Kidding Me!

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Please don't advise me not to read it. It's too late! I don't rubberneck on highways but the dark corners of my human nature do tend to surface when I see his columns. This one makes his slanderous rants against Rick Smith seem measured, thoughtful, and meritous. I think the funniest part is his argument that Jerry Jones and Drayton McLane would have drafted Young, therefore it is clearly the only logical thing to do.

Here you go:

Yes, the Texans should have taken Vince Young
Looking back on it now, it's easy to say that Vince Young wasn't the best player of the 2006 NFL draft and that the Texans got it right in selecting Mario Williams.

There's just one problem with this kind of thinking. It's completely wrong. It defies logic.

Let me tell you a little secret. If Leslie Alexander or Drayton McLane had owned the Texans that spring, they would have ordered their people to draft Vince Young.

They would have met with their business people and their football people, and they would have explored every possibility. They would have told the football people the kind of impact Vince would have on the franchise.

Neither Alexander nor McLane has ever told me he would have ordered his people to take Vince Young, but they've left little doubt that's what they would have done.

Leading up to that draft, both men asked me why the Texans weren't going to take Vince.

I asked them both, ''What would you do?'' Funny thing is, both men reacted the same way. Both smiled and said something like, ''What do you think?''

There's no question in my mind they would have taken Vince Young because of the overall impact he would have had on the franchise. In fact, I think both guys thought the Texans were nuts for passing on him.

And the Titans are headed one way, the Texans another. Kubiak has gotten it right. Matt Schaub is light years better than either Vince Young or David Carr, and the Texans are getting steadily better. Everything that can be measured tells you the Texans made the right call. They didn't. They just got lucky that a bad decision turned out right

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/10/yes_the_texans.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Vince would have made the Texans more popular than the Dallas Cowboys

I guess it boils down to would you rather be popular or would you rather WIN.

Its pretty obvious to me that Bob McNair wants to WIN and that putting people in the seats and money in his pocket comes secondary to WINNING.

Cant say the same for very many owners in professional sports. Jerry Jones and Uncle Drayton are prime examples.

As for Justice .... Maybe he needs to get his own version of Boobies McClain errr I mean Anna Megan to help him keep his readers attention.

The Texans are on the threshold of their best 1st half of season in franchise history, and The Chronic puts out this drivel?

No wonder newspapers are dying.

I remember the times when I would be waiting for the newspaper delivery guy to throw the paper before the crack of dawn. I couldn't wait to see what it said.

Now, the only time I read that crap is when you people bring it here. My bookmarks don't even know there is still a Houston Chronicle.

Cant say the same for very many owners in professional sports. Jerry Jones and Uncle Drayton are prime examples.

As for Justice .... Maybe he needs to get his own version of Boobies McClain errr I mean Anna Megan to help him keep his readers attention.

Personally I think Jerry Jones is the worst thing in the world for the NFL.

The very first response to this "article" (and I use the term very loosely) got it exactly right...
It's also the same reason Bob McNair is going one direction and Les and Drayton are going another - McNair is smart enough to defer to his football people on personnell decisions. Thinking about how a player would improve the organization (marketing and ticket sales) is short-sighted. The best way to market and sell tickets and jerseys, is to win, and you do that with the best players, wherever they are from.

'Nuff Said!

I wonder if he even put any thought as to where the Texans would be right now if we had taken VY? IMO probably where VY and the Tacks are right now.

Lower levels of the gene pool are attrative to lower levels of the gene pool: :tiphat:The Chronicle/RJ, Bud/Vince, JJ/criminals, etc.

The Texans are on the threshold of their best 1st half of season in franchise history, and The Chronic puts out this drivel?

No wonder newspapers are dying.

Keep in mind it's his blog. He's stirring the pot and driving up the hit count on his blog by stating these types of opinions. He's goading us all to reading his piece and commenting that he's a jackass all for the traffic to his page.

You mean to tell me that RJ still works at Chronicle?

Someone needs to start another newspaper company in Houston.

Since so many newspaper company in Tokyo, you have to write good to survive. Houston needs competition.

RJ should be fined for excessive outhouse gas emissions.

Who cares if he drives up his blog count? If he has to make weird blog entries to get traffic, then it will someday be his undoing. Another 5 years of making sloppy entries will lead him to be viewed (in all circles, not just in fans' eyes) as a sensationalist journo with no real credibility.

The fans see it. The rest of the sports media world will fall into line over time.

The universe can only withstand so much lunacy before it is forced to take action.

I asked them both, ''What would you do?'' Funny thing is, both men reacted the same way. Both smiled and said something like, ''What do you think?''

Hey Ricky, brain dead journalist extraordinaire - what would you do if you were making the pick and what would you do if you were owner and your coach and GM wanted someone different are two totally different questions.

I'm told that Bob McNair pushed his people hard about Vince Young, that he reminded them that if Vince became a Pro Bowler he was going to get crushed. He just wanted to know if they were absolutely sure that Mario Williams was the right pick.

Exhibit A for the above difference. Sounds like McNair if he had made the pick would have made the popular pick but he deferred to the experts as most owners would. This quote also disproves Ricky's luck assertion. Kubiak & Co. were resolute in their belief even in the face of pressure from the owner and popular opinion both. That is called good judgment, not luck.

RJ is a poon. The guy just loves to say controversial things to drive up his hit count on his "blogs." I just don't give him the time of day, by not reading his drivel. If I ever saw him in public, I would tell him he sucks. :aggressive:

I always avoid his articles. I dont want to make it look like even 1 more person is reading his crap.

Keep in mind it's his blog. He's stirring the pot and driving up the hit count on his blog by stating these types of opinions. He's goading us all to reading his piece and commenting that he's a jackass all for the traffic to his page.
RJ uses a lot of sarcasm and I was looking for it,but I just couldn't find it. There are a lot better ways of goading people into reading your article than making yourself look like a complete football *****.

Don't read it.

:D
LOL.. That reminded me of a sign I had that said "Private Sign-Do Not Read"

Don't notice the Titans at 0-6 with VY not even playing. THAT defies logic.

Yeah, of course Drayton would take a name to put butts in seats, that's why the Astros "contend" for 2nd to last place now. Of course Les would take VY, VY is probably better at basketball than football anyway.

If I had a million billion dollars and wanted to start a Rocket Science company I'ma go hire the best rocket scientists available, not the prom king.

Thanks D-M for posting the Justice blog, I always knew you were a fan of Richies and read him on a regular basis.
Justice is right of course, the Texans got lucky with the Mario pick and not because he was necessarily the best player in that Draft, but because they would have almost surely taken VY if not for David Carr already being their QB, on the basis of the recommendation of both Kubiak and the GM at the time Charley Casseerly, the the QB they could win with.
But back to Mario, I'm not even sure he was the best DLineman in that Draft ? However he's a solid pick and apparently turned out to be a better pick than VY (unless his career reverses again), and certainly is better than Reggie Bush.

Please don't advise me not to read it. It's too late! I don't rubberneck on highways but the dark corners of my human nature do tend to surface when I see his columns. This one makes his slanderous rants against Rick Smith seem measured, thoughtful, and meritous. I think the funniest part is his argument that Jerry Jones and Drayton McLane would have drafted Young, therefore it is clearly the only logical thing to do.

Here you go:

Yes, the Texans should have taken Vince Young
Looking back on it now, it's easy to say that Vince Young wasn't the best player of the 2006 NFL draft and that the Texans got it right in selecting Mario Williams.

There's just one problem with this kind of thinking. It's completely wrong. It defies logic.

Let me tell you a little secret. If Leslie Alexander or Drayton McLane had owned the Texans that spring, they would have ordered their people to draft Vince Young.

They would have met with their business people and their football people, and they would have explored every possibility. They would have told the football people the kind of impact Vince would have on the franchise.

Neither Alexander nor McLane has ever told me he would have ordered his people to take Vince Young, but they've left little doubt that's what they would have done.

Leading up to that draft, both men asked me why the Texans weren't going to take Vince.

There's no question in my mind they would have taken Vince Young because of the overall impact he would have had on the franchise. In fact, I think both guys thought the Texans were nuts for passing on him.

And the Titans are headed one way, the Texans another. Kubiak has gotten it right. Matt Schaub is light years better than either Vince Young or David Carr, and the Texans are getting steadily better. Everything that can be measured tells you the Texans made the right call. They didn't. They just got lucky that a bad decision turned out right

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/10/yes_the_texans.html

Negative Rep point to RJ!!!!!!

Thanks D-M for posting the Justice blog, I always knew you were a fan of Richies and read him on a regular basis.
Justice is right of course, the Texans got lucky with the Mario pick and not because he was necessarily the best player in that Draft, but because they would have almost surely taken VY if not for David Carr already being their QB, on the basis of the recommendation of both Kubiak and the GM at the time Charley Casseerly, the the QB they could win with.
But back to Mario, I'm not even sure he was the best DLineman in that Draft ? However he's a solid pick and apparently turned out to be a better pick than VY (unless his career reverses again), and certainly is better than Reggie Bush.

Actually, I think RJ is engaged in satire given his comments to the comments. Of course, it is difficult to discern when he is doing satire given some of his non-satiric opinions.

Your comments are not satire. Who would you have liked the Texans to take with the first pick in that draft?

The Texans would have never taken Vince Young as QB. His skill sets were completely wrong for the team and he had a poor workout with them.

retards-birds-demotivational-poster.jpg

I'm not sayin'
I'm just sayin'

Actually, I think RJ is engaged in satire given his comments to the comments. Of course, it is difficult to discern when he is doing satire given some of his non-satiric opinions.

Your comments are not satire. Who would you have liked the Texans to take with the first pick in that draft?

The Texans would have never taken Vince Young as QB. His skill sets were completely wrong for the team and he had a poor workout with them.

You're right of course, much of what Justice says is tongue-in-cheek and one can never be sure when he's for real and when he's not ? I think it tends to make his comments more entertaining and I dunno why people always take him so seriously and get upset with him ?
Re Mario, I'm a big fan and I think he's a very talented DE who is an effective edge rusher while also being strong against rushing plays. His sack protection is off this year of course, but I know he's nursing a sore wing. That's another thing I like about him, he's pretty much out there all the time even if less than 100 %.
Hind sight is always 20/20 as they say, but there were other picks which could have been worthy choices besides Mario, for example QB Cutler or DT Haloti Ngata. But the most important thing with the top pick is not to whiff and the Texans did not in 2006.

Controversial statements lead to mouse clicks which lead to ad revenue which lead to RJ getting a "good job" from his boss.

I hate how the newspaper business is run since it turned into a monopoly.

Back