Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

RIP Ryan Mallett

michaelm

vox nihili
Damn, sad news.
I know this isn't specifically Texans news, but figured it was appropriate to post in this section since wearing Texans colors is how we're most familiar with him.

Deltaplex News has confirmed through multiple sources that White Hall head football coach and former Arkansas Razorback quarterback Ryan Mallett has drowned in Florida.

Fla. sheriff blasted beachgoers for ignoring, harassing lifeguards ahead of drownings, including Ryan Mallett

“You say you are a ‘good’ swimmer, an experienced swimmer, a competitive swimmer. But you are no match for a rip current,” Ford said.

I for whatever reason don’t remember him being a Texan? Also news today said there was no rip current when he drowned but he was with a group about 150’ offshore on a sandbar. I know from my surfing days that sandbars are interspersed with deeper swales but because of their depth don’t have the wave activity active on the bars. I don’t know if alcohol was involved but if he wasn’t too familiar with beach processes he may have panicked after stepping into the deeper swale?

lso news today said there was no rip current when he drowned but he was with a group about 150’ offshore on a sandbar. I know from my surfing day
This article says that there was a rip current, and Mallett was the only one not able to make it back to the beach.

The high school coach was with a group of about 12 people when they were suddenly caught in a rip current. Everyone was able to make it to shore except Mallett, who was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to Deltaplex News.

Here's a photo of the aftermath of a rip current at a Panama City beach.

356207718_855983469218251_6979874315292387086_n.jpg

This article says that there was a rip current, and Mallett was the only one not able to make it back to the beach.

Here's a photo of the aftermath of a rip current at a Panama City beach.

356207718_855983469218251_6979874315292387086_n.jpg
It was originally reported as a rip current. Seemed a no brainer since there have been so many drownings at that beach this year. But this morning it is reported that there was no rip tide warnings posted that day? Those things are nasty. I’ve been caught by my worst cases of them surfing in Mexico and Newport Beach CA. You have to stay calm and swim perpindicular to those virtual seagoing rivers.

It was originally reported as a rip current. Seemed a no brainer since there have been so many drownings at that beach this year. But this morning it is reported that there was no rip tide warnings posted that day? Those things are nasty. I’ve been caught by my worst cases of them surfing in Mexico and Newport Beach CA. You have to stay calm and swim perpindicular to those virtual seagoing rivers.
I've felt them in Galveston, but they weren't strong enough to take me into the gulf. A weird feeling of the water rushing through your legs. Though, a child would not have been able to withstand the current. But you need to be aware, and it looks like Mallet and his friends were not.

Just awful and sad. Ryan was gifted and just was a bit selfish while in Houston. He seemed to have cleaned up his issues and even was going to start coaching High School football.

RIP Ryan, you will be missed

I've felt them in Galveston, but they weren't strong enough to take me into the gulf. A weird feeling of the water rushing through your legs. Though, a child would not have been able to withstand the current. But you need to be aware, and it looks like Mallet and his friends were not.

I had a very similar experience in Alabama 2 years ago. I was staying about 30 miles from Destin. My whole family was out around chest deep and suddenly the sand under us vanished. Luckily I had the power to be able to get my kids (3) to water that wasn't causing any problems. Then pulled my Wife and father in law to shore. Not more than 1hr later they put a rip tide signs up. If I had panicked and not been a very strong swimmer...it could have ended very badly.

The currents in and around Destin are not a joke. If you ever see a rip tide flag, do yourself a favor and don't go out past about knee deep. Otherwise, you could end up a statistic.

Yeah you know the worst place to get sucked out to sea around Galveston? San Luis Pass between Galveston and Surfside. I’ve seen fools surf casting from sandbars near the toll bridge. When that tide changes, good luck. as if that’s not bad enough that area is bull shark heaven.

Yeah you know the worst place to get sucked out to sea around Galveston? San Luis Pass between Galveston and Surfside. I’ve seen fools surf casting from sandbars near the toll bridge. When that tide changes, good luck. as if that’s not bad enough that area is bull shark heaven.

I do the same on Matagorda beach, typically shore fishing off of the third sand bar. Several years ago my feet where taken out from under me and I was dragged along the seabed. When I finally managed to pop up I couldn't even see shore line. Lucky for me a surfer just happened to be nearby paddled out to get me. I had 0 energy left to make it back to shore myself. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and no longer wade out to the third sandbar. Instead I use a DJI Phantom 4 to carry my bait out where I want it these days.

Every year kids and adults alike lose their lives in Matagorda, I narrowly escaped being a statistic.

I do the same on Matagorda beach, typically shore fishing off of the third sand bar. Several years ago my feet where taken out from under me and I was dragged along the seabed. When I finally managed to pop up I couldn't even see shore line. Lucky for me a surfer just happened to be nearby paddled out to get me. I had 0 energy left to make it back to shore myself. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and no longer wade out to the third sandbar. Instead I use a DJI Phantom 4 to carry my bait out where I want it these days.

Every year kids and adults alike lose their lives in Matagorda, I narrowly escaped being a statistic.
Lol, I’ve surfed there in the past. Bull shark world. They even travel far up the Colorado River. NEVER surfcast at a river mouth.

Man, what a sad story.

I don't challenge the ocean. We are not meant to be in it, or otherwise we'd have gills.

I've been grabbed by a rip current once and it put the fear in me. Never again. I do not doubt my own mortality and have no desire to wager it.
You've just gotta stay calm and swim parallel to the shore line and you'll be out of the rip current. I do agree with you to a degree. I'm absolutely terrified in waist deep water in the ocean. I'm perfectly ok scuba diving in the ocean though.

You've just gotta stay calm and swim parallel to the shore line and you'll be out of the rip current. I do agree with you to a degree. I'm absolutely terrified in waist deep water in the ocean. I'm perfectly ok scuba diving in the ocean though.
Diving in the ocean is weird. In the Coast Guard the helicopter we carried on the back of our cutter would fly me out a half mile or so from our cutter, I would jump out into the deep gulf, then they would fly out of sight then come looking for me….practicing search and rescue. I can’t remember but I’m sure I drew the short straw (Actually it was part of my job). floating in a few thousand feet of deep blue water is disconcerting and seeing our cutter a mile away by then didn’t help. I’m a water bug but not a deep ocean explorer as I learned From this activity. Semper Paratus!

Last edited:
One sheriff few days ago says riptide then another one says not a riptide? Confusing then add the fact that the warning flags were for cautious swimming conditions as it appears that there is another flag for riptide warnings. idnk but it's a sad accident either way but the warning issues seem contradictory by now no?
Sheriff in Florida says Ryan Mallett’s drowning not a result of riptides

One sheriff few days ago says riptide then another one says not a riptide? Confusing then add the fact that the warning flags were for cautious swimming conditions as it appears that there is another flag for riptide warnings. idnk but it's a sad accident either way but the warning issues seem contradictory by now no?
Sheriff in Florida says Ryan Mallett’s drowning not a result of riptides
Destin Florida attracts a lot of tourists during the summer months. The initial reports of rip tides are probably being watered down some so as to not affect the numbers of tourists looking to visit that area of Florida.

I can't help but wonder what could have been, especially with the Texans, had he resolved his issues then. It is so sad that he finally got himself together, just to be made to watch and enjoy his life's love football from above. RIP, Ryan.

********************************************************************************************************

Teammates, coaches remember Ryan Mallett’s rocket arm
ByMike Florio

Published July 2, 2023 09:59 AM

Former NFL quarterback Ryan Mallett died this week, drowning in Florida . Teammates and coaches have remembered him as a man with rare talent.

“I think of two things with Ryan,” former Patriots and Texans teammate Brian Hoyer told Mike Reiss of ESPN.com. “First, he always had a big grin and was always very lively. He brought a lot of energy and was super interactive with all his teammates. Second, it was his arm strength. He has the strongest arm I’ve ever seen to this day .”

Hoyer shared with Reiss a story from 2011, Mallett’s rookie season.

“I’ll never forget it, he was throwing a 16-yard, 18-yard in-cut and he threw the ball so hard that it hit off the receiver’s helmet and bounced straight up,” Hoyer said. “It almost hit the top of the [practice] bubble, because it ricocheted so hard off the guy’s helmet.”

Raiders coach and former Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels also remembered Mallett’s strong arm.

“He could throw a strawberry through a battleship,” McDaniels told Reiss. “That’s how strong of an arm he had. . . . I remember a couple of times with the running backs, they’d be like four yards away, and he’d be looking downfield and then all of a sudden zip one to them and it would go right through their hands. It was one thing he was learning -- to throw the changeup sometimes. Because his fastball was his pitch, no doubt about it.”

“Ryan was a very talented player,” Texans G.M. Nick Caserio, the director of player personnel in New England in 2011, told Reiss. “He was as good of a thrower of the football in the draft that year that had a number of good quarterbacks. Ryan was smart, understood football and was somebody we thought could develop in our system.”

Mallett was the seventh quarterback drafted in the lockout year of 2011, when free agency was delayed until after the work stoppage ended in late July. Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder were drafted in round one, and Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick were picked in round two.

“Ryan was well-liked by his teammates and they enjoyed being around him on a daily basis,” Caserio said. “I remember he spoke to us at the combine about wanting to coach when he was done playing, and he was living out what he set out to do.”

Ryan Mallett was 35. He had become in 2022 a high-school head coach.

We continue to extend our condolences to his family, friends, teammates, players, and colleagues.

The McNair's weren't down with White Boy Slim as the face of their franchise, so he quit on them and backed up Flacco for a few yrs.

McNair's had nothing to do with it
BOB McNair came out and said reliability was why Hoyer won the job. I wonder if McNair mandated Hoyer over Mallett? Mallet outplayed Hoyer that preseason. IMHO

BOB McNair came out and said reliability was why Hoyer won the job. I wonder if McNair mandated Hoyer over Mallett? Mallet outplayed Hoyer that preseason. IMHO
McNair was pondering what Bob told him.
Your wondering don't make it so
What does that have to do with anything?

RIP Ryan! You will be missed in this world, but welcomed in the next. Blessings and prayers for all who knew him personally...

Ryan Mallett’s girlfriend, Madison Carter, shared a heartfelt tribute to the late athlete days after he died at age 35.

“How do I even find the words,” Carter began in a Facebook post on Sunday, July 2. “I prayed for you for 27 years, and we finally found each other. I trust that God has a plan for everything, but I don’t think I will ever understand why this happened. I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you, and I hope you know how hard I tried.”

Carter went on to praise Mallett’s way of “always looking for the good” in others. “I can never thank you enough for loving me the way that you did,” she continued. “In such a short time, you showed me the love I have prayed for my entire life. You loved me fiercely and unapologetically. We were planning our future. We were just getting started. I’m sure some think we’re crazy for feeling the way we did about each other in such a short time. I thought we were crazy at first too. But you helped me understand that when two souls connect the way ours did, love has no set timeline.”

She concluded her post by saying she’s not sure how she’ll “ever get past” Mallett’s death. “But I’m so honored to love you and be loved by you,” Carter wrote. “You changed my life, and I’m forever grateful for the time we had. No amount of time would have ever been enough. I love you, Ryan. Please watch over us. I can’t wait to see you again.”

Destin Florida attracts a lot of tourists during the summer months. The initial reports of rip tides are probably being watered down some so as to not affect the numbers of tourists looking to visit that area of Florida.

Yes, a very popular area. I think it was just bad luck. However, Ryan had money and his career was not what he planned. So, off chance he may have been suffering without anyone knowing. If that was the case (which I see no reason to think) alcohol or drugs could have been involved. KEEP in mind I still only feel it was very bad luck.

Back