Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ricky Williams Equals James Allen

tacoman_j

Waterboy
Remember James Allen left our Texans to pursue his rap career. I hope his new rap CD is banging, but I'm sure it's a piece of crap just as his playing career. lol:

The difference is that Allen had seen Davis play and knew he had very little chance of making the squad. He retired to save face. Williams is just crazy and has no idea what he is doing. The money he has would last most of us a lifetime. However he will more then likely spend it in 5 to 10 years and he will not be able to replace it with any other carrer. This will be a very bad decision by a forer Texas star and I wish he would reconsider. He needs to take a few minutes to talk to JR Richards before he quits. JR would tell him to enjoy while he can because it can be taken away from you in the snap of a finger. Living under a bridge JR was saved by the MLB retirement fund and he is very greatful.

The difference is that Allen had seen Davis play and knew he had very little chance of making the squad. He retired to save face.
DD broke his hand on a blocking sled on the first or second day of camp last year. I doubt that his performance had anything to do with James Allen's decision to retire. If anything, it was Stacey Mack who was penciled in as the starter in camp, plus the little voices in his head that caused Merselis to ponder his options.

the reason ricky williams retired is because he was going to be charged with drugs and the press and nfl would make to much of a big deal about it so i dont blame his decison just why was he using drugs

i think its much more than just drugs. He has stated that he smokes marijuana as do most likely a VERY large percentage of pro athletes. Some get caught others dont. No one retires cause they are facing a 4 game suspension.

I think he just doesn't enjoy spending 11 months out of the year dealing with football. Its alot of work and i dont think he wanted to do it anymore.

As much as we as fans are upset that we will not see him breaking more runs and how close we feel we have come to him in his career because of his Texas roots, we can't judge someone for choosing to change their career.

How many people here have changed their careers, or those of us in school changed a major?

He may be making a mistake in football terms, and his earing power will not equal what it was before. But Ricky is a smart enough man to know those things, and obviously making alot of money and continueing to play football are not important enough to him. Robert Smith, Barry Sanders, Ted Williams, Jim Brown, Michael Jordan (the first time), all walked away at their apex.

He will have more than enough money to survive on, not to mention that 2 years from now he could always come back and still be an impact.

Ricky had said before that he didn't really want to play pro but go persue his career in what he majored in. Maybe he just wants to be out of the spotlight and lead a somewhat normal live. Atleast till he gets bored an comes back.

Nobody can question a man for making a decision that he feels is best for him. What's bad is his timing. Ricky's always been a little different.

It's not that he just doesn't want to play football anymore. The mental and physical demands on a RB are tougher than those for any other position. The average career for a running back is normally 6 or 7 years. Ricky played 5 and got burned out.

Looks like Mersiles is thinking about a comeback. Apparently he's contacted the Dolphins about a try out for the team.

Dolphins | Allen Calls for Opportunity - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:29:14 -0700

Joe Schad, of the Palm Beach Post, reports representatives for free agent RB James Allen (Texans) have contacted the Miami Dolphins for a possible tryout with the team. "I got the impression that they are going to take their time," said Steven Mandell, the agent for Allen, who worked out with the club in May." Allen retired before the 2003 season, but has since moved to South Florida from Texas and is close with Dolphins DE Jay Williams.

Back