Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Re-examining the 2005 Houston Texans

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
There is a playlist on Youtube with NFL Primetime highlights of the full 16 game season of the 2005 Houston Texans. I don't have time to link stuff and not sure you can link a playlist but a quick search on there and it should pop up if youre interested. How many of you poor souls have been a fan of this team long enough to have lived through this? Jesus.

2005 for me was a mess of a year, especially that Fall, so I didn't watch many games. I just remember reading and hearing about how bad they were. The only game I remember watching from this season was the second game against the Colts, who were undefeated like 8-0 while we were like 1-7. I remember pulling for us to win that one at the time we had never beat Manning/Indy. We came back from 21-0 deficit to make it a game down 21-14 but they held on to beat us. Watching the highlight of that game now and Dunta Robinson just decks Reggie Wayne one of the hardest hits, nice clean hit too. Worth a watch.

Crazy seeing how bad they were. Jesus did Carr just not give a **** anymore, he was basically Cam Newton from Super Bowl 50 for the first month of the season. The defense looked terrible too almost like they were losing on purpose with the non-tackling, some of these highlights look like I'm watching a worked pro wrestling style football game and we were the jobbers.

What could we have done in hindsight to salvage the 2005 season? Draft Julius Peppers instead of Carr? In hindsight it seems like Charlie Casserley had no clue what he was doing building this team. I posted in the 2004 thread that the signs were there in the season finale that year vs the 2-13 Browns where we laid down, Carr was sacked 6 times and they just gave up. I feel like in hindsight after that loss it was time to clean house, Casserley, Capers, Palmer the OC all should have been sacked. A move also should have been made to sign a serious quarterback to compete for the starting job with Carr.

Also where does this team rank among the worst in NFL history/Texans franchise history? Was this the worst team we ever had?

There was a certain electricity in that stadium in 2002-2003-2004, it peaked around that time we were 4-3 in October 2004 I have so much love and nostalgia for that little window. This 2005 season really killed all of that it seems, that place was just really never the same in 2006, 2007, then the hurricane in 2008 pushed off our opening home games. The team didn't really have a soul those years, it didn't start to finally establish that until that Monday Night Football debut later that 2008 season, even then 2009, 2010 just wasn't the same type of vibe the stadium had those first 3 years when it was all fresh and new.

Analyze the 2005 season? Don’t need to I lived it….if anything I’m trying to forget it….& really those first 5 or so seasons TBH. The only thing I endeavor to remember from that era is the inaugural season win, and a few select AJ highlight plays…that’s it.

and no it wasn’t our worst season, the opening season was. For a the excitement of that 1st win against the cowboys, that 2nd game against the chargers showed just how terrible we were. Seau singlehandedly wrecked our offense as Carr was getting sacked before he could even complete his drop back. We may have crossed the 50 yd line once the entire game..Most of the games that inaugural year were like that…it was awful.

Last edited:
IDK if I’m remembering right but was it the 2005 season where the offseason was full of hope that the Texans were about to become successful? That Carr would become a legit QB, Eric Moulds across from AJ was meant to be a great receiving corps, it wasn’t just that they were terrible it was that they were meant to be good?

IDK if I’m remembering right but was it the 2005 season where the offseason was full of hope that the Texans were about to become successful? That Carr would become a legit QB, Eric Moulds across from AJ was meant to be a great receiving corps, it wasn’t just that they were terrible it was that they were meant to be good?

100%. That 2005 season was supposed to be our first winning season. Domanick Davis (turned Williams) was coming off of career highs in pretty much every important stat. Carr was also coming off of a career year and looked like he was turning the corner. Dunta Robinson was also promising as well. Then we started out 0-6. I still remember one of the headlines from the Chronicle that year, "0-4 Crying Out Loud", lmao. That year was a complete mess and let down. At least the Astros made the WS that year.

Funny story from that season from inside of Reliant, I remember we were playing the Titans and were just getting manhandled. It was miserable. But out of the blue, completely unrelated to the awful game in front of us, a roar of cheers erupted within Reliant. It came from all of the fans who were listening to the Astros-Braves game on their portable radios. Lance Berkman hit a grandslam in the 8th, then again when Ausmus tied it up in the bottom of the 9th. That ended up being the 18 inning game and this might be Mandela Effect, but I believe they played the game on the jumbotron after the Texans game for the fans who were sticking around. Someone please confirm because I feel like I made this up now that I say it lol.

A less funny story - I believe it was the Steelers game early on the in the season when the roof was open and it was 100 degrees outside. Even hotter in the stands closer to the field. Folks looked like they were going to pass out from heatstroke. The concessions ran out of cold water and were serving hot bottled water. On top of that, we were losing by like 3 scores by the 3rd quarter. I believe they started the 50-80 policy immediately following that game and the roof is now almost always closed lol.

100%. That 2005 season was supposed to be our first winning season. Domanick Davis (turned Williams) was coming off of career highs in pretty much every important stat. Carr was also coming off of a career year and looked like he was turning the corner. Dunta Robinson was also promising as well. Then we started out 0-6. I still remember one of the headlines from the Chronicle that year, "0-4 Crying Out Loud", lmao. That year was a complete mess and let down. At least the Astros made the WS that year.

Funny story from that season from inside of Reliant, I remember we were playing the Titans and were just getting manhandled. It was miserable. But out of the blue, completely unrelated to the awful game in front of us, a roar of cheers erupted within Reliant. It came from all of the fans who were listening to the Astros-Braves game on their portable radios. Lance Berkman hit a grandslam in the 8th, then again when Ausmus tied it up in the bottom of the 9th. That ended up being the 18 inning game and this might be Mandela Effect, but I believe they played the game on the jumbotron after the Texans game for the fans who were sticking around. Someone please confirm because I feel like I made this up now that I say it lol.

A less funny story - I believe it was the Steelers game early on the in the season when the roof was open and it was 100 degrees outside. Even hotter in the stands closer to the field. Folks looked like they were going to pass out from heatstroke. The concessions ran out of cold water and were serving hot bottled water. On top of that, we were losing by like 3 scores by the 3rd quarter. I believe they started the 50-80 policy immediately following that game and the roof is now almost always closed lol.
I was at the 18 inning game. It was most definitely a -night- game. Can't imagine them showing it on the jumbotron unless the Texans were also a night gamer.

As an aside... I sat a couple rows behind the bullpen. I'll never forget seeing Roger Clemens coming out to warm up. I was like... what is going on here?!?! A sight (and an experience) to behold for sure.

Moulds came in the next year with Kubiak, iirc.

I was at the 18 inning game. It was most definitely a -night- game. Can't imagine them showing it on the jumbotron unless the Texans were also a night gamer.

As an aside... I sat a couple rows behind the bullpen. I'll never forget seeing Roger Clemens coming out to warm up. I was like... what is going on here?!?! A sight (and an experience) to behold for sure.
It was a day game, 12:10 pm start.

Analyze the 2005 season? Don’t need to I lived it….if anything I’m trying to forget it….& really those first 5 or so seasons TBH. The only thing I endeavor to remember from that era is the inaugural season win, and a few select AJ highlight plays…that’s it.

and no it wasn’t our worst season, the opening season was. For a the excitement of that 1st win against the cowboys, that 2nd game against the chargers showed just how terrible we were. Seau singlehandedly wrecked our offense as Carr was getting sacked before he could even complete his drop back. We may have crossed the 50 yd line once the entire game..Most of the games that inaugural year were like that…it was awful.

I have loved my team since day 1, hell take it back to negative one I always played with the generic white helmet Texans on NFL 2K2 that was 2001 on PS2. I damn sure will remember all the hard times when we are on top that is what makes it sweeter. I couldn’t imagine being like these marks in East Texas that became Chiefs fans the last 4 years. That’s not me.

I would disagree with your opinion that the 2002 team was worse than 2005. Definitely splitting hairs here the 2002 team didnt have any time to get ready for that season thrown together in 1 offseason and all the rookies on offense. But they somehow won twice as many games in 2002 and beat 2 playoff teams the Giants and Steelers that year on top of winning their debut vs Dallas and winning on the road in Jax.

Which brings me to something I forgot about really for 2005, it honestly felt like they were losing on purpose. Watching the highlight playlist reminds me now of how bad that bothered me back then. There are 2 missed field goals late in the season that looked shanked on purpose, 31 yard game winners, but they brought the guy back and he kept his job in 2006.

That’s a shame that’s all you remember about the first few years. To me the Titans wins in 2004 were bigger than the Dallas win. I had a lot of guys on those teams I loved, Gary Walker, Dominick Davis, Aaron Glenn, Sharper, I remember a lot of great plays and games/moments those first few years actually. It’s 2005 and the first few Kubiak years where I go blank and they run together with few standout games or memories, just remember a lot of Sage Rosenfella

Last edited:
Carr in the first few games of 2005 looked so bad, like a hybrid of 2016 Chiefs playoff game Hoyer and Super Bowl 50 Cam Newton. One play in particular he loses the ball and pretends he doesn’t see it in front of him, he’s like pantomiming looking around for it. He was definitely mentally not there in 2005, sacked almost 30 times in the first 4 games.

I have loved my team since day 1, hell take it back to negative one I always played with the generic white helmet Texans on NFL 2K2 that was 2001 on PS2. I damn sure will remember all the hard times when we are on top that is what makes it sweeter. I couldn’t imagine being like these marks in East Texas that became Chiefs fans the last 4 years. That’s not me.

I would disagree with your opinion that the 2002 team was worse than 2005. Definitely splitting hairs here the 2002 team didnt have any time to get ready for that season thrown together in 1 offseason and all the rookies on offense. But they somehow won twice as many games in 2002 and beat 2 playoff teams the Giants and Steelers that year on top of winning their debut vs Dallas and winning on the road in Jax.

Which brings me to something I forgot about really for 2005, it honestly felt like they were losing on purpose. Watching the highlight playlist reminds me now of how bad that bothered me back then. There are 2 missed field goals late in the season that looked shanked on purpose, 31 yard game winners, but they brought the guy back and he kept his job in 2006.

That’s a shame that’s all you remember about the first few years. To me the Titans wins in 2004 were bigger than the Dallas win. I had a lot of guys on those teams I loved, Gary Walker, Dominick Davis, Aaron Glenn, Sharper, I remember a lot of great plays and games/moments those first few years actually. It’s 2005 and the first few Kubiak years where I go blank and they run together with few standout games or memories, just remember a lot of Sage Rosenfella

Definitely splitting hairs, but you may have felt like 2005 was the worst only b/c of the anticipation that they might be turning the corner and about to get their 1st winning season as someone upthread alluded to. They went 7-9 the year before. Just judging both seasons Individually on their own merits tho, 2002 was an unmitigated disaster. Expected…………but no less of an abomination of what top level pro ball should look like.

Its also true that we won twice as many games in 2002, but 1 of those games we won was against the corpse of Mark Brunnell & those jags teams that were good in the late 90’s but were just about ready to blow up. Scraped by against them in 1 game by a FG….. And then the Aaron glen 2 pick 6 game against the Steelers….no other way to describe that win other than luck b/c offensively we did squat…..quite literally actually. We didn’t even have 100 yards of total offense…Carr didn't/couldn’t even pass for 50 yds the entire game and I don’t even know who was our RB, but they didn’t even rush for 40 yards total. It was the most pathetic display of offense yet…& we had a lot of those in 2002. Carr never had a flash of anything…nothing close to a 300 yd game all season & we were dead last in offense that year. Aside from that, in 2002 there was really NOONE to get behind and root for….0 star power on that team. Corey Bradford. Jonathan Wells…I’m getting sick just thinking about how terrible we were on offense.

At least in 05’ we had AJ to root for and there were a few games against good teams that we were in position to win late…. we just couldn’t stop anyone when it mattered. by the end of the season we were in fact in tank mode and were about to enter the VY/Bush chronicles on Texanstalk.

Vy nut huggers vs the Bush boys lol

Last edited:
The 2002 Texans vs Steelers game is one of the most bizarre games in NFL history a strange but true game. Was lucky to find a full copy to download a couple years back it is on a Steelers fan website.

Also read that our win over the Giants in 2002 NY the whole team was sick with the flu but I don’t buy that excuse Walter Payton played his ass off with the flu in that one game tough ****.

Also read that our win over the Giants in 2002 NY the whole team was sick with the flu but I don’t buy that excuse Walter Payton played his ass off with the flu in that one game tough ****.
It was Tiki Barber that went off. Giants totally outplayed the Texans that game but Collins melted down in the 4th

Last edited:
Back