Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ray Davis, Kentucky

Veso

Practice Squad
Get this man.

He can probably be had late 3rd round and I don't think it's unfair to compare him to Barry Sanders. Laugh all you want. He's what this team needs. I'm just putting it out there because I feel like he's a little under the radar. I'd be the happiest fan in the world if we land him in the 3rd.

I don't think it's unfair to compare him to Barry Sanders. Laugh all you want.
Thanks, because I was going to laugh a lot anyway. Is it OK to laugh and still like Davis? Because I do. Maurice Jones-Drew would be a better comp.

Reactions: JB
Thanks, because I was going to laugh a lot anyway. Is it OK to laugh and still like Davis? Because I do. Maurice Jones-Drew would be a better comp.
Lol.. it's ok man. I know that's a lot to say.. but I have a good eye. I've called a lot. I called CJ.. I called Adrian Peterson.. even if that was a little obvious. I just know he's special. Is MJD a bad expectation? Especially for someone who is probably a 3rd round pick?

Last edited:
Lol.. it's ok man. I know that's a lot to say.. but I have a good eye. I've called a lot. I called CJ.. I called Adrian Peterson.. even if that was a little obvious. I just know he's special. Is MJD a bad expectation. Especially for someone who is probably a 3rd round pick?
I'd rather take a chance on this guy than waste a ton in free agency on an RB. I mean Derrick Henry is great. He would do a lot. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Henry for a short contract and drafting Davis as well. I think that would be an amazing combo. Ray is shifty as ****. Has amazing vision. Ain't afraid to hit. He has it all tbh. I just want to put him out there. I actually don't think MJD is a better comp. MJD was more known for his power imo.. but to each his own.

Last edited:
Is MJD a bad expectation.
Not at all. As I said, I like Davis and believe he can play in the NFL. I liked Chase Brown last year (who went to the Bengals in the 5th round) and Davis reminds me of Brown. It's a good draft for the shorty squatty RBs, and Davis is as good as any of them. There are a couple of posters here that like Davis a bunch.

Well I have honestly never heard him mentioned. That was the point of my post. I just wanted to get him out there.. because I really do feel like he's great and could be had for very little and be a great asset. I know or well have very good reason to assume some of the Texans staff actually visit this site.. so I just thought I'd put his name out there. That's all.

Well I have honestly never heard him mentioned. That was the point of my post. I just wanted to get him out there.. because I really do feel like he's great and could be had for very little and be a great asset. That's all. I know or well have very good reason to assume some of the Texans staff actually visit this site.. so I just thought I'd put his name out there. That's all.
Keep posting guys that you like. It's all good. Just saying there are people here agreeing with your take.

Ray Davis is the real deal. He carried UK last year. He just made 24 though. He's a 3 down back and can run zone scheme

I agree. I’d also add Ray Davis as a possible candidate for a good career.

Keep posting guys that you like. It's all good. Just saying there are people here agreeing with your take.
A couple more
I forget who I watched him against last yr, but he broke 2 long runs for TD's. That's not what impressed me though, it was his ability to navigate in tight spaces on short runs and he was hard to get on the ground. What I dont know is how good he is in pass pro or catching the ball out of the backfield? I do like him a lot though, what rd do you think he goes in?
With his age and position devaluation, 4th rd probably, maybe 3rd. He's perfect for the zbs and he catches well. He's 24, but he has a backstory that I'm sure he's gonna be a top end back for however long he plays. You're right about navigating tight spaces too.

Get this man.

He can probably be had late 3rd round and I don't think it's unfair to compare him to Barry Sanders. Laugh all you want. He's what this team needs. I'm just putting it out there because I feel like he's a little under the radar. I'd be the happiest fan in the world if we land him in the 3rd.
I'm a big fan of Davis and would like to see us use a late round draft pick on him as well. But I'm thinking he can be acquired in the 4th or later, depending on how the board falls. I love his back story, which is similar to CJ, and I think they could bond over their similar situations. He is a very good receiver as well👍.

I'm a big fan of Davis and would like to see us use a late round draft pick on him as well. But I'm thinking he can be acquired in the 4th or later, depending on how the board falls. I love his back story, which is similar to CJ, and I think they could bond over their similar situations. He is a very good receiver as well👍.
I wouldn't risk missing out personally, but you might be right. Our 3rd rd pick is Philly's which may be a little early for him in all honesty. I think we would potentially have to trade up into an early 4 since we have our 4 and Cleveland's which will be too late in the round for comfort. By no means a guarantee the Texans even think as highly of him as I do anyway.

Last edited:
Just now seeing this thread, but this is the RB that I would target as well. First, I think he's a good scheme it. He doesn't hesitate, he sees the hole, plants and explodes just like you want out of a RB in this offense. Looks like he has good speed, dynamic in the open field and can make guys miss. And he has excellent vision.

My guy. His knock is he's 24 about to turn 25. I like Braelon Allen of Wisconsin too. Allen might go 2nd rd, Davis gonna be in 3rd maybe 4th.
Problem is if Davis goes in the 4th it will probably be at the top of the 4th. Caserio doesn't get to pick until late in the 4th. I would love to be able to draft

3. Theo Johnson
4. Ray Davis
4. Malik Washington

But I dont see any way this can happen. You could trade up for either Davis or Washington, but it's unlikely you could get both. Both Davis and Washington are ballers though.

Love me some Allen and see him as a younger Taylor.

Problem is if Davis goes in the 4th it will probably be at the top of the 4th. Caserio doesn't get to pick until late in the 4th. I would love to be able to draft

3. Theo Johnson
4. Ray Davis
4. Malik Washington

But I dont see any way this can happen. You could trade up for either Davis or Washington, but it's unlikely you could get both. Both Davis and Washington are ballers though.

Love me some Allen and see him as a younger Taylor.
Not that high on Washington. I'm going to have to watch Johnson a little more. I think both the USC wrs will be there as late as the 5th rd honestly. I favor both over Washington

Not that high on Washington. I'm going to have to watch Johnson a little more. I think both the USC wrs will be there as late as the 5th rd honestly. I favor both over Washington
I don't think I've seen anyone else that high on Washington

I don't think I've seen anyone else that high on Washington
Steelbtexan is high on having a slot or a te. I say all the time you can have a high end offense without either. You just need good players in whatever form that comes in. If they stay in the 1st rd and decide offense I would take Brian Thomas 3. If he is who I think he is, he can be Nico replacement after this contract. I mean they got Nuk around that range and Jefferson went in that range too.

Steelbtexan is high on having a slot or a te. I say all the time you can have a high end offense without either. You just need good players in whatever form that comes in. If they stay in the 1st rd and decide offense I would take Brian Thomas 3. If he is who I think he is, he can be Nico replacement after this contract. I mean they got Nuk around that range and Jefferson went in that range too.
It's not just a slot WR I'm looking for. If Thomas is there at 1-23 I'm picking him. The only 2 guys I would pass on Thomas at 1-23 are Mitchell and Newton. Thomas/Mitchell/Newton are special talents.

When I see Washington I see a guy who lead CFB in catches. He's kinda like Dell, all he does is make plays and he's on an inferior team. Dude is dangerous with the ball in his hands. He really impressed at the East/West game.

Look at the AFC/NFC championship games and tell me having a top tier TE doesn't matter when it comes to top tier offenses and winning football.

Chiefs- Kelce
49ers- Kittle
Lions- LaPorta
Ravens- Andrews/Likely

It's not just a slot WR I'm looking for. If Thomas is there at 1-23 I'm picking him. The only 2 guys I would pass on Thomas at 1-23 are Mitchell and Newton. Thomas/Mitchell/Newton are special talents.

When I see Washington I see a guy who lead CFB in catches. He's kinda like Dell, all he does is make plays and he's on an inferior team. Dude is dangerous with the ball in his hands. He really impressed at the East/West game.

Look at the AFC/NFC championship games and tell me having a top tier TE doesn't matter when it comes to top tier offenses and winning football.

Chiefs- Kelce
49ers- Kittle
Lions- LaPorta
Ravens- Andrews/Likely
All drafted after the 3rd rd except LaPorta. When Cincy beat KC, they didn't have a te. Its really about having guys who can get open and move chains when they play small ball. Again, I'm not against any of it, I just don't deem it of important. Likely was what a 6th rd pick who I did like as was Andrews. Teams have to use their weapons as what fit them the best. KC won with Tyreke and Kelce. They just won this past year with mostly defense and Mahomes making timely plays. Their wrs were basically trash all season until they weren't. If there is one there they feel fits, cool, but I would rather they get another man beater to force teams into nickle and exploit the matchup.

All drafted after the 3rd rd except LaPorta. When Cincy beat KC, they didn't have a te. Its really about having guys who can get open and move chains when they play small ball. Again, I'm not against any of it, I just don't deem it of important. Likely was what a 6th rd pick who I did like as was Andrews. Teams have to use their weapons as what fit them the best. KC won with Tyreke and Kelce. They just won this past year with mostly defense and Mahomes making timely plays. Their wrs were basically trash all season until they weren't. If there is one there they feel fits, cool, but I would rather they get another man beater to force teams into nickle and exploit the matchup.

If you think you can draft a top TE then do it early. Trust your evals. Right now I've got Bowers as a top 5 player in this draft regardless of position. Just because Pitts played with a crappy play caller that rightfully didn't trust his QB doesn't mean Pitts isn't a playmaker.

He who controls the middle of the field controls the game, I think Don Coryell said that and I've always believed this.

Reminds me of Ladanian Tomlinson...alot actually. I'd be ok using a 3rd to get him...If we don't land a Josh Jacobs in FA that is.

If you think you can draft a top TE then do it early. Trust your evals. Right now I've got Bowers as a top 5 player in this draft regardless of position. Just because Pitts played with a crappy play caller that rightfully didn't trust his QB doesn't mean Pitts isn't a playmaker.

He who controls the middle of the field controls the game, I think Don Coryell said that and I've always believed this.
I have been doing some mock draft situations and occasionally have Brock Bowers falling as far as 23 (which I don't think will happen). This brings up the question, would you draft him at 23 with CB Mitchell, DT Murphy and WR Brian Thomas 3 still available?

I have been doing some mock draft situations and occasionally have Brock Bowers falling as far as 23 (which I don't think will happen). This brings up the question, would you draft him at 23 with CB Mitchell, DT Murphy and WR Brian Thomas 3 still available?
I don't think the Texans would based on what DeMeco has said a few times. He wants an elite front 7 for his defense. I think they would take Murphy

Mitchell

I think he's going to be a great player and pairing him with Stingley for the next 5 yrs is really appealing to me.

Last edited:

Extremely interesting choices. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them, and all of them would make the team better. Some of this will work itself out in FA. So, today, it's hard to say. But given where we are today...I'd favor Thomas or Bowers because I would focus on giving your best and most critical player (CJ) every possible tool and advantage while on his rookie deal. I love Bowers, but the history of first-round TE failures or who end up as "JAG's" does give me a little pause. Most of the stud TE's in the league are not 1st rounders. That's just fact. Still...love Bowers. Bottom line, I wouldn't be upset by any of these guys.

Here is a story about the hardships of Ray Davis growing up homeless and his perserverance against all odds with the help of those that cared about him. If you can't read this from the link, tell me you want to be included in a conversation where I will post the article.

And no, I did not cry reading the article. I just had something in my eyes.
You know something was in my eye as well when I read the article. What an amazing story!

Here is a story about the hardships of Ray Davis growing up homeless and his perserverance against all odds with the help of those that cared about him. If you can't read this from the link, tell me you want to be included in a conversation where I will post the article.

And no, I did not cry reading the article. I just had something in my eyes.
Wow! His draft stock just went up on my board. Wherever he ends up, I will be rooting for him.

Extremely interesting choices. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them, and all of them would make the team better. Some of this will work itself out in FA. So, today, it's hard to say. But given where we are today...I'd favor Thomas or Bowers because I would focus on giving your best and most critical player (CJ) every possible tool and advantage while on his rookie deal. I love Bowers, but the history of first-round TE failures or who end up as "JAG's" does give me a little pause. Most of the stud TE's in the league are not 1st rounders. That's just fact. Still...love Bowers. Bottom line, I wouldn't be upset by any of these guys.

Of those four; unfortunately, I think only Thomas has a snowball's chance in hell of being there at 23 for the Texans

I like him. However, if the Texans go RB in round 4 then I will start wondering if Pierce is on this roster opening day. May the best man win.
I mean outside of DT I really don't see another weaker position. You need a solid backup RB and Pierce was mostly non-existant last year. I'd love to see this guy as a Texan.

Linebacker maybe... but I don't know. They don't seem too concerned.

Pierce is a monster and I was excited about him at first myself.. but something ain't working and I'm not sure why. I'd be ok with letting Pierce go.

**** it.. Ray Davis at 127 or bust lol. I love this dude. I'm excited regardless.. but this is the pick for sure.

Last edited:
If RB- Jaylan Wright (TN) is still on the board at 127……this is my pick. He’s solid at every RB workload requirement, only he’s a “take it to the house” type of runner. At TN, he was in an offense that featured the passing game and running QB. His 137 carries was low for a guy who averaged 7.4 YPC against SEC defenses. The Vols hurt themselves by not directing more of their offense through Jaylan. Anyways….there’s a lot of tread on those tires b/c he wasn’t overused. Mixon and Wright would be a heck of a tandem for Stroud to have in the backfield.

If RB- Jaylan Wright (TN) is still on the board at 127……this is my pick. He’s solid at every RB workload requirement, only he’s a “take it to the house” type of runner. At TN, he was in an offense that featured the passing game and running QB. His 137 carries was low for a guy who averaged 7.4 YPC against SEC defenses. The Vols hurt themselves by not directing more of their offense through Jaylan. Anyways….there’s a lot of tread on those tires b/c he wasn’t overused. Mixon and Wright would be a heck of a tandem for Stroud to have in the backfield.
Wright and Achane in Miami… so much speed!

Back