Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Randy Gregory fails drug test at combine

Knowing he's gonna miss at least 4 games?

What's 4 games??!! Beckham junior missed his first 4. Justin Houston fell in the draft over the same type of deal. You wouldn't want JH? If I'm not mistaken its your second time your busted your suspended

What's 4 games??!! Beckham junior missed his first 4. Justin Houston fell in the draft over the same type of deal. You wouldn't want JH? If I'm not mistaken its your second time your busted your suspended

First off we aren't talking Justin Houston, we're talking Randy Gregory. I just asked you the question.

I've heard lots of mixed reviews on Gregory and haven't made up my mind about him, but I doubt I would run to the podium without knowing who else was available

No biggie.

Signed,
Josh Gordon

It bothers me more than ordinary drug test failures when players are dumb enough or to habitual to get popped at the combine. It's a set date for a multi-million dollar interview and you can't keep straight.

Gordon is the exception not the rule. Ask Justin Houston and all the other hundreds of players who got their act together. And here I'll throw you another one Blackmon, Gordon, and Pacman jones are all knuckle heads, who were or are on crappy teams with no real leadership or guidance. JH seems to be doing fine, Pacman got it together in Cincy. Jimmy smith had red flags and doing fine in Baltimore. Team leadership plays a big role in dealing with those guys

As I said, I consider at the combine worse than ordinary. Not saying I wouldn't take him, but I would knock him down significantly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...blame-myself-for-failed-nfl-combine-drug-test

The thing that worries me is that he says he is done smoking and he's not going to do it again... yet admits he smoked in December and tested positive in January and April 2014. His "statement" screams that he's just sorry he got caught.

I'd hate to have a Josh Gordon type on our team who is awesome when he plays but keeps getting himself suspended due to being a knucklehead.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/st...ndy-gregory-tested-positive-marijuana-combine

Gregory maintained that he has not used drugs other than marijuana. He also said he has a new support system around him and is being regularly drug tested.

In addition, former New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards has agreed to mentor him, he said. (Edwards is an NFL analyst for ESPN.)

Gregory will enter the NFL in the first stage of the league's substance abuse program.

Saying the right things and doing the right things...hopefully he does both.

No biggie.

Signed,
Josh Gordon

It bothers me more than ordinary drug test failures when players are dumb enough or to habitual to get popped at the combine. It's a set date for a multi-million dollar interview and you can't keep straight.

Yup. It's not the smoking weed that bothers me. It's the extreme stupidity getting popped at the combine. The combine dates are determined months beforehand, if not longer. The dude's either a habitual user or a complete dumbass. I'm leaner towards the latter.

Gregory actually has a pretty bad history with marijuana. The Nebraska fans that I know actually aren't that sad to see him go, despite his talent.

He has anxiety issues and literally smokes every day because he says it keeps him calm. He claims that he's over that but then fails this test at the biggest job interview of his life.

This kid is definitely in the "Josh Gordon" category of users. Maybe he gets a handle on it, but I'm not sure I would want to bet my 1st round pick on it. This isn't some guy that smoked once at a party and it was still in his system at the combine. He's a daily user.

I wouldn't even take him at 16. He's a tweener that has DE height/length and OLB athleticism. However, he has a small frame and can't put on weight. He played at about 220 this past year and couldn't get over 240 for the combine.

He reminds me of Dion Jordan. He's not big enough or physical enough to stand up in the run game at the next level. I think he will eventually top out as a sub-package pass rusher on whichever team drafts him. Yes, he has great length and is a freak athlete. He was also productive in college. However, he's not good against the run and that will be magnified at the next level just like it was with Dion Jordan and Jarvis Jones.

Random Google result...

Length of Detection Period

No one can really say how long you will test positive for marijuana, since the rate of THC metabolism varies per individual. The amount of marijuana consumed can also alter the window of time that your body retains traces of THC.

Even still, studies provide some insight into how long the average individual will test positive for marijuana.

Occasional Users

Someone who smokes occasionally – or for the first time – will likely test positive for 1-3 days afterward, according to a review by the National Drug Court Institute (NDCI).

But by the end of 4 days, infrequent cannabis users should be safely below the 50 ng/mL threshold.

“For occasional marijuana use (or single event usage), at the 50 ng/mL cutoff level, it would be unusual for the detection of cannabinoids in urine to extend beyond 3-4 days following the smoking episode.”

Frequent Users

Studies suggest someone who smokes often can expect to test positive for around a week following last use. According to the NDCI, after 10 days, most frequent users should pass a urine test at the 50 ng/mL threshold.

“Based upon recent scientific evidence, at the 50 ng/mL cutoff concentration for the detection of cannabinoids in urine, it would be unlikely for a chronic user to produce a positive urine drug test result for longer than 10 days after the last smoking episode.”

However, there’s no guarantee that a heavy cannabis smoker will be free of THC metabolites after 10 days. Studies show it’s possible for some users to test positive for up to a month after last use.

In one extreme case, a person who reported using cannabis heavily for over 10 years managed to test positive (above 20 ng/mL limit) for up to 67 days after last use.

I wouldn't even take him at 16. He's a tweener that has DE height/length and OLB athleticism. However, he has a small frame and can't put on weight. He played at about 220 this past year and couldn't get over 240 for the combine.

He reminds me of Dion Jordan. He's not big enough or physical enough to stand up in the run game at the next level. I think he will eventually top out as a sub-package pass rusher on whichever team drafts him. Yes, he has great length and is a freak athlete. He was also productive in college. However, he's not good against the run and that will be magnified at the next level just like it was with Dion Jordan and Jarvis Jones.

This. If you want this type player wait Tim the second round and draft Hunter. I actually think he has more upside and he is already good enough against the run for the nfl.

He's kind of a knucklehead, tweeting this after a predraft visit with Saints...

Randy Gregory @RandyGregory_7
Idk what the big deal about new Orleans is. Seems pretty boring to me lol wrong time of year maybe??

Herm Edwards is supposed to have taken an interest in advising RG.

Interesting note: Jason Taylor played DE at 6'6", 235 lbs. and he did this...
Career highlights and awards
6× Pro Bowl (2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007)
4× All-Pro (2000, 2001, 2002, 2006)
2× First-team All-MAC (1995, 1996)
NFL Alumni Pass Rusher of the Year (2000)
2× AFC Defensive Player of the Year (2002, 2006)
2× NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman Player of the Year (2005, 2006)
AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year (2006)
PFWA Defensive Player of the Year (2006)
Walter Payton Man of the Year Award (2007)
NFL's all time leader in fumble return touchdowns (6)[1]
100 Sacks Club
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

Career NFL statistics
Tackles: 775
Quarterback sacks: 139.5
Interceptions: 8
Passes defensed: 77
Forced fumbles: 46

This. If you want this type player wait Tim the second round and draft Hunter. I actually think he has more upside and he is already good enough against the run for the nfl.

Hunter played in the same sort of system as Nebraska (DEs rarely pass rush, play very conservative and set the edges all the time; similar to Sam Montgomery a few years back) and Gregory was still more productive as a pass rusher and not quite as stiff in coverage, which concerns me w/r/t Hunter, whom I watched as an LSU student the past few years. I could see him being taken in the 2nd and being used as a SAM linebacker in terms of setting the run and occasionally rushing the passer, but his stiffness in coverage would concern me in terms of SAM responsibilties.

Guy is good. Real good. Only if he can stay on the field. I dont think the Texans will risk it. Too conservative. I'd pick him, but cant see McNair,Smith or O'Brien risking it this early in the regime, need a no brainer instant contributors like Sua Filo and Fiedorowicz. :kitten:

No biggie.

Signed,
Josh Gordon

My exact feelings, but not even deep enough.

I wouldn't touch this guy.

The drug test for pot is not exactly a drug test. It is an intelligence test. It is so easy for players to pass those tests. They are warned about the dates and the times. It's a soft ball lob for them. Guys that fail that are complete idiots.

I remember another guy who failed his test that was hyped like crazy for how great he would be due to his talent. The minute I saw him fail his combine drug test, I wanted nothing to do with him for the Texans. His name was Percy Harvin. Any player that is foolish enough to potentially waste Millions just to smoke pot a few extra times isn't going to be the kind of guy that consistently takes his football career the way he is supposed to. Those are risky investments on unproven players.

My exact feelings, but not even deep enough.

I wouldn't touch this guy.

The drug test for pot is not exactly a drug test. It is an intelligence test. It is so easy for players to pass those tests. They are warned about the dates and the times. It's a soft ball lob for them. Guys that fail that are complete idiots.

I remember another guy who failed his test that was hyped like crazy for how great he would be due to his talent. The minute I saw him fail his combine drug test, I wanted nothing to do with him for the Texans. His name was Percy Harvin. Any player that is foolish enough to potentially waste Millions just to smoke pot a few extra times isn't going to be the kind of guy that consistently takes his football career the way he is supposed to. Those are risky investments on unproven players.

Yeah, big difference in 'might be tested' and 'will be tested'. If you know without a doubt that you will be tested on a certain date and then fail that test, either you're an id!ot or don't give a chit and I want nothing to do with either

Yeah, big difference in 'might be tested' and 'will be tested'. If you know without a doubt that you will be tested on a certain date and then fail that test, either you're an id!ot or don't give a chit and I want nothing to do with either

or he is just an addict.

Spoken like a true man without a clue

That's funny! I was thinking the same thing about you.

I've NEVER known or known of an addict that didn't start with alcohol, tobacco and and marijuana. Marijuana is the gateway to illegal drug access as alcohol and tobacco are gateways to addiction.

It is the addict that convinces himself that HIS choice of poison is somehow less than an addiction.

50+ years of observation has indicated it is just continued self deception.

That's funny! I was thinking the same thing about you.

I've NEVER known or known of an addict that didn't start with alcohol, tobacco and and marijuana. Marijuana is the gateway to illegal drug access as alcohol and tobacco are gateways to addiction.

It is the addict that convinces himself that HIS choice of poison is somehow less than an addiction.

50+ years of observation has indicated it is just continued self deception.

:lol:

As far as I can tell, at least Gregory's pot use never affected his play on the field. My hope for him is that Crennel's experience with a player like Justin Houston (and LT as well, I suppose) would make it possible for Gregory to shape up. In spite of the risk I still find myself hoping he slides to 16th overall.

According to Dan Pompei of Bleacher Report, Gregory gave teams another red flag by showing up for a team workout under 230 pounds.

Gregory measured in at 6-foot-5, 235 pounds at the Scouting Combine (explaining he was sick before the weigh-in), so the five pounds lost might not be a big deal in and of itself.

“It really is not difficult,” he said then of adding some weight. “I can probably say it is a little harder to maintain it, but I have always been able to put on weight real quickly and lose it real quickly.”

Link

He has a hard time maintaining 235lbs on 6'5"?

Link

He has a hard time maintaining 235lbs on 6'5"?

Yes. That was the big red flag on him before the whole failed marijuana test thing. He played at about 220 last year and put on 15 lbs in Preparation for the Combine. He then put on another 5 lbs for his Pro Day........then he stopped the intense weight gains because Combine/Pro Day is over and he immediately is dropping weight.

He has a very slim frame and has always had trouble keeping on weight. The reason most scouts think he's purely a stand-up guy is because they doubt he can hold his weight over 245-250 during a full season.

Randy Gregory, says he may have been "too honest" with some teams. #NFLDraft

Says he probably rubbed some teams the wrong way with his answers but preferred to be more honest than not.

Concern exists on Gregory handling pro football's mental rigors
The failed drug test at the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine won't help Randy Gregory, nor will his struggle to maintain the weight needed to play on the line of scrimmage in the NFL.

But the reason the Nebraska star is likely to drop on Thursday -- maybe out of the first round -- is much deeper than that.

At least three general managers view him as a top-five talent. But according to more than a dozen coaches, scouts, personnel chiefs and GMs, there is concern about Gregory's ability to handle the mental rigors of professional football. And just how far he drops in this week's draft will likely hinge on the individual psychological profiles (and the results of related testing) put together by each team, according to multiple veteran evaluators. He has been taken off a several team's draft boards, according to multiple sources.

Agent Deryk Gilmore declined comment on Wednesday when asked about Gregory's issues.

The situation for the Cornhusker All-American is like this: The natural ability is there; whether he can realize his considerable potential is another matter entirely. Those considerations, however, do not make Gregory unique in the draft nor in the league as a whole.

"It all depends on the organization, and what they have in place for him," said one NFC personnel exec. "There are quite a few players that have issues. It's where you place football character over the things he can't control. That's the big thing to me."

One opinion that's common among the evaluators who've delved deep into Gregory's past -- he's not a bad kid. He comes from a solid background. He's well-meaning.

But there's more to sort through.

"At some point, the risk meets the reward, especially at the bottom of the (first) round -- those are good teams," said an area scout for one team, assigned to Nebraska. "They miss, it's not a big deal. But the top 20 picks of each round, it's tough. He's either gonna be a good player or he's not gonna be in the NFL. He comes from a good home, he's a smart kid.

"How do you wanna deal with it?" the scout continued. "Do you wanna work with him? Can you do the off-the-field stuff to manage it?"

The concern is that, through no fault of his own, Gregory's problems might be manageable, but not fixable, which makes his landing in the right environment (as the scout alluded to) vital.

One NFC general manager said, "There are more negatives than positives."

And that's remarkable, given that many scouts and execs spoken with during the past two months believe Gregory is the best natural pass-rusher in this year's draft class.

But his rocky road through the process has thrown up one more caution flag for teams as the draft draws near, and validated prior concerns about his ability to handle the transition to the pro ranks smoothly. The failed combine test (which lands him in the league's substance-abuse program to start his career) and his fluctuating weight only add to the worry that he might not have the makeup to make it big at the next level.

"He's a good football player, his only on-field issue is his weight and body mass," said an AFC personnel exec. "When you draft a player, it's easy to see the skills they have to transfer and perform at the next level. But with pro football, there's so much more that goes into it because you face a great athlete every week, so your character gets tested."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-gregory-handling-pro-footballs-mental-rigors

Eh, at this point if Gregory is on the board at 16 and the Texans pass on him, that's all I'll need to know. Any article detailing a prospect's downfalls like a cheap tabloid the day before the draft is less than trustworthy, for better or worse.

Rand Getlan @RandGetlan
CD7JiULUgAE1yy6.png:large

I hope this is the springboard for Gregory to turn his story around. He certainly has the talent to excel in the league. He will get his chance.

Back